• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Pokémon Contest fan game idea discussion

MizuMajyo

Rookie
Wasn’t quite sure how to title this but playing some old Gen 3 games and ORAS was making me think there’s no fan game or official one focused around the contest system.

of course, compared to the main series mechanics and focus, there’s not much to do with it but I feel like there’s some potential. Of course I haven’t really searched for those games either so suggestions or your own projects are welcome here!

While I do have some ideas, I’m not silly enough to think it’ll be a substantial game but in a perfect world, the mechanics would be built upon, reliable npcs and online systems for blending and contests. Off the top of my head, just having 4 tournaments then a major one, sort of similar to the anime would be ideal since it reflects the gym leader system we already have.
There’s potential for multiple rivals too if you focus in one category or even all of them, this is all hypothetical so I just wanna discuss it for now and see if there’s any interest in it.

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
I love the contest mechanics and I really want it to be a big thing in my game, but I found no threads, no resources, no coders to help me, not even offering to pay :/
I hope when my game is more developed and I learn a bit about coding I can at least start a contest idea
not gen 3 contests alone, but mostly the gen 4 that are awesome

MizuMajyo

Rookie
I love the contest mechanics and I really want it to be a big thing in my game, but I found no threads, no resources, no coders to help me, not even offering to pay :/
I hope when my game is more developed and I learn a bit about coding I can at least start a contest idea
not gen 3 contests alone, but mostly the gen 4 that are awesome
Oh that’s a shame, because it is a interesting mechanic.

Gen 4 contests really improved the formula, that much I can agree on and I would probably end up basing the game around that.

glassbetelgeuse

Hoenn Enjoyer
I've been personally considering learning Ruby in order to replicate Gen 3 contests for the same reason; seeing no resources about it at all has been a real shame as they were my favorite part of RS. (I prefer Gen 4 contests, too, but Gen 3's are simpler by far to me and I'd want to start with those for that reason if I were to do that, and I'm trying to personally expand the resources available for Emerald-styled games anyway.)

Caruban

Cooltrainer
I really like the concept of pokemon games that aren't always about fighting. Pokemon Contest is one such interesting concept.

Last year I also wanted to make a contest-focused game, but after VQQ updated and then deleted the github, I didn't have time to check the changes and scrapped it.

-FL-

Pokémon Island Creator
A game focused in contest would be very interesting!

There is a script for Essentials v18. VQQ made a better version for Essentials v18/19, but he deleted his GitHub.

Gen 4 contests really improved the formula, that much I can agree on and I would probably end up basing the game around that.
I prefer a lot the gen 3 last phase (acting) than the gen 4 one. The gen 4 simplify too many combinations.

ardicoozer

Cooltrainer
I have VQQ plugins including Pokemon Contest Plugins, I download it before he deleted his github...
If I have the ability in coding, maybe I've updated the plugins ..

Link:

Richard PT

Cooltrainer
Hey guys, i think that i may help you, or let's help each other about this matter. Since that VQQ was my old coder, we worked on some scripts at that time for my fan game, which i said to him to post some feats for public use at that time. The good news, its that i'm planing to post slowly some updated resources made by VQQ and others for PEv20.1, which they were tested and updated by my newest recruited coder, he may return to me at the very end of this year or not due to his real job. The thing is, we grab the contest updated by VQQ for PEv19 into PEv20.1, we did it as closest as possible to emerald contests mechanic, it's not perfect, but its very very close to its original. I worked on some minor coding too, but i'm not an expert, more like a supporter, plus i have the berry blender and the pokeblock mechanics updated too, so i have all the contest plugin set and done updating, i give it some tests, but if you could or want to perfect it more, aditional tests may be good or required. If you agreed to help with this to fix or to perfect it a bit better, then i'm glad to share and to instruct you with all thoose resources. What do you say?

EDIT: Believe me it was a pain to update all of this, it took us more than 2 months. :V By the way, i made and updated some graphics into a better "clean" ones.

Back