• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Database for Move, Ability, and Item Ideas

zarexraze

Novice
I have finally gone through and added a whole bunch of Dark-type move ideas to the spreadsheet!

Interesting enough, this was actually one of the more difficult types for me, since the Dark-type is one of the most subjective things in the game, hence why most of my submissions are based on Dark-type Pokemon.
I'll probably go back in another day to completely flesh out the other details, but the basics are in there for now.

One more thing, is that the tab for suggested changes to official moves has also been tweaked. I highly encourage others to post about anything that they feel needs to be retuned, whether it's one move in particular or a major mechanic that accessed through a move, such as Trick Room or weather.

Last edited:

Arma

A Martian Hyena
Oh man, this is a wonderful idea! I've had tons and tons of ideas, but never got around to implementing them. I'll be sure to share them here later on as time permits. Heck I might even try and implement a few of those!

Streetie

Novice
I've thought up a move for Grass types you may want to include!

Wither
Status move, 10 PP, 0 BP, target self. The Pokémon loses its grass typing and raises its Attack, Sp. Attack and Speed stat.

This would be a way for grass types to cope with the many weaknesses they have while trading off their STAB for it. In my game, it'll be most useful for Sunflora, which will be able to regain it's Grass typing once when it gets sunny(the full ability is still a secret ;)), so it can use it twice while it's out.

Dark

Rookie
i wonder if its okay to post ideas about status conditions (like in burned, frozen, paralyzed etc) here too

i may as well before i forget it:

Status condition: Rustled
typically a status condition that has a chance of occuring when hit by a grass type move - it decreases special attack of the inflicted pokemon by half
(grass type moves (and mons) tend to be relatively bad - some sort of buff really is necessary imo ;p - and vine wip and solar beam are really boring to use anyways)

imo the whole status condition thing needs a big overhaul anyways (like having multiple layers of burn possible...burn 1 would decrease attack by 20% burn 2 by 35% and burn 3 by 50%...but moves like will o wisp would hit with 100% accuracy then to warrant the nerf etc)...similarly with paralyzation
...and ontop of that id like to see pokemon being effectable by multiple status conditions...but i guess thats for another thread

BlasterMillennia

Novice
Here's a move that I probably wouldn't put into my own game, but it's something that I once thought of as a way to "troll" competitive battling. So in fangames, this would probably mostly affect any Battle Tower or similar area of the game.

Hidden Potential
Type: Haven't settled on Normal, Psychic, or variable like Hidden Power; Special might be a better fit than Physical.
PP: 5
Accuracy: 100
Power: Variable
"The target's individual strengths are used against it."

The base power is equal to the target's IV total, times two-thirds (but also with some minimum power, let's say 60). So against a Pokémon with 6 IVs of 31, the move's base power would be (6 * 31) * (2/3) or 124.

Last edited:

joey-and-rattata

Novice
If anyone is looking for more inspiration in making new moves, here is a video about 101 moves that Poketuber Substitute came up with At the end of the video, he said you are able to use them in any way you wish

Ruler

Dreamer
Woah that's a lot of dark and bug moves. Mind if I mix it up a bit? (Wow though, you guys are really good at this!)

Neurotoxin (Special)
Type: Poison
PP: 15
Accuracy: 95
Power: 60
"The user fires a mind-addling toxin at the target. This may also confuse the target."

Electron Hammer (Special)
Type: Electric
PP: 10
Accuracy: 90
Power: 110
"The target is slammed with a heavily compressed blast of electricity, possibly paralyzing it in the process."

Flash Freeze (Special)
Type: Ice
PP: 5
Accuracy: 85
Power: 40
"The target is instantly frozen in place to do damage. This attack may freeze half the of the time."

Myriad Spikes (Physical)
Type: Steel
Power: 80
"Giant steel spikes are shot in every direction by the user. Targets hit by them may flinch."

Gold Crusade (Physical)
Type: Steel
Accuracy: 95
Power: 70
"Shining with righteous light, the user launches itself at the target. This attack is super-effective on Ghost-types."

(I've got a bunch more if you want me to post 'em by the way.)

juliorain

Trainer
Dust Heal, a new ground type move excellent for filter-feeding pokemon like Corsola, Steelix, Palossand, etc. Basically it's ingrain that doubles in healing (1/16->1/8) in sandstorm at the end of each turn.

Please credit if using. Also, it was coded rather quickly when I was surrounded by family so LMK if it is buggy. Remove the Drain Boost line as that's a custom ability in my game. LMK if you want to know about that. (It boosts the draining power of moves by x1.3).

https://pastebin.com/HWeRqEWH

Edit: swept up the code, added in Drain Boost.

Last edited:

MGriffin

Trainer
I got thinking about how Mud Sport was buffed "recently" and thought it would be nice to come up with something similar for a few other status moves that aren't very useful in-game:

Aqua Ring (inspired by Reflect et al)
User's side is healed by ⅙ at the end of each turn for 5 turns, even if the user switches out.
(⅙ was chosen because anything less isn't enough better than Recover given the effect can run out, and is quite slow)

Charge (inspired by Flash Fire)
Boosts Sp. Def by 1 stage and grants a 2× damage boost to electric-type attacks until the user switches out.

Disable (inspired by Gen I Mimic)
User chooses the foe's move to disable.

Lock-On, Mind Reader (Telekinesis too?)
Perfect accuracy effect lasts until the foe switches out.
(This is still probably not strong enough to be useful, but I'd be worried about it giving the user perfect accuracy until it switches because of OHKO moves)

Magic Coat, Snatch
In addition, disable the foe's move if it was bounced/snatched.

Also, here's an original idea:

Fatigue
Permanent status that limits the PP for each move to 5.
Useful in conjunction with Spite and Pressure to PP stall the foe, move that inflicts it should be distributed mostly to Ghost/Dark types.

Ruler

Dreamer
Just coded this in yesterday. I'm also going to code in anything I made above that needs new functions, etc.

Sonic Burst (Physical)
Type: Normal
PP: 20
Power: 75
"The user attacks with pure sonic force. The higher the user's speed, the higher the damage."
Here's how to implement it:
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
#############################################################################
# Calculates damage with Speed instead of Attack. (Sonic Burst)
#############################################################################
class PokeBattle_Move_XXX < PokeBattle_Move
  # Effect handled in PokeBattle_Move's def pbCalcDamage
end

#Then paste in def pbCalcDamage (above Foul Play):

if @function==0xXXX
  atk=attacker.speed
  atkstage=attacker.stages[PBStats::SPEED]+6

#in PBS

###,SONICBURST,Sonic Burst,XXX,75,NORMAL,Physical,100,20,0,00,0,abef,"The user attacks with pure sonic force. The higher the user's speed, the higher the damage."

#-where XXX is whatever function code you choose and
#'###'is whatever move number you choose.

If it doesn't work correctly, let me know and I'll troubleshoot it. (This is basically an edit of Foul Play btw, so trying this out with other stats could be interesting)

Mashirosakura

With my wishes frozen in time and long forgotten
Discord Mod
I thought of an ability idea for penguin Pokémon (yes I know this thread has a lot of those already)
It's called Feathered Down, and it decreases the damage taken by Water and Ice type moves. It also increases speed by 1.5x in Hail (Slush Rush is 2x for reference).

First find def pbSpeed in PokeBattle_Battler and find when PBWeather::HAIL
Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
    when PBWeather::HAIL
      speedmult=speedmult*2 if self.hasWorkingAbility(:SLUSHRUSH) # changed
      speedmult=speedmult*1.5 if self.hasWorkingAbility(:FEATHEREDDOWN) # changed
    end
Afterwards, find the code for FURCOAT in PokeBattle_Move and underneath paste the following

Ruby:
Expand Collapse Copy
      #Feathered Down
      if opponent.hasWorkingAbility(:FEATHEREDDOWN) && (isConst?(type,PBTypes,:WATER) || isConst?(type,PBTypes,:ICE))
        damagemult=(damagemult*0.5).round
      end

(These only work on v17.2)

Last edited:

ArchyArc

Lead Developer of Pokemon Sacred Johto
While the spreadsheet seems a bit left out, ideas never hurt,
here are some ability ideas i have made so feel i should share

Mutual
Raises users defense if its partner is flying, and raises their partners speed.
(could easily be any typings or stats)

Intrusive Spikes
On making Contact the foe can get trapped
(On contact arena trap)

Guardian
Boosts stats on the amount of party members fainted.

Defensive Skin
Increases defense if you have no attacking moves
(for the likes of pyukumuku or wobbuffet maybe, basically opposite assualt vest ability)

Volume
Special moves slowly do more damage.

Glider
Evasion and Speed are raised until its hit
(air balloon like effect)

Most are repurposed items into abilities or altered abilities but if you struggle on how to code them i can share the code.

TheHeroicChampion

Alon Region Researcher
I had this really cool move idea for Pidgeot. Can be given to any other swift aerial Pokemon, though.

Mach Flight
Type: Flying
Category: Physical
Power: 95
"The user flies at the foe at Mach 2 speed. This move doubles in power during Tailwind."

Here's how to implement it. Tell me if it works, if it doesn't, give me tips:
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
################################################################################
# This move's power doubles in Tailwind. (Mach Flight)
################################################################################
class PokeBattle_Move_XXX < PokeBattle_Move
  def pbBaseDamage(basedmg,attacker,opponent)
    ret=@calcbasedmg
    if attacker.pbOwnSide.effects[PBEffects::Tailwind]>0
      ret*=2
    end
    return ret
  end
end

Mashirosakura

With my wishes frozen in time and long forgotten
Discord Mod
I had an ability idea. Think moves like Body Press for this.

Offensive Armament
"A Pokemon with this Ability will attack using its Defense and Special Defense instead of its Attack and Special Attack."
So what you mean is if it uses a physical attack it uses its defense, and if the attack is special it uses it's spdef?

While the spreadsheet seems a bit left out, ideas never hurt,
here are some ability ideas i have made so feel i should share

Mutual
Raises users defense if its partner is flying, and raises their partners speed.
(could easily be any typings or stats)

Intrusive Spikes
On making Contact the foe can get trapped
(On contact arena trap)

Guardian
Boosts stats on the amount of party members fainted.

Defensive Skin
Increases defense if you have no attacking moves
(for the likes of pyukumuku or wobbuffet maybe, basically opposite assualt vest ability)

Volume
Special moves slowly do more damage.

Glider
Evasion and Speed are raised until its hit
(air balloon like effect)

Most are repurposed items into abilities or altered abilities but if you struggle on how to code them i can share the code.
I do quite like the idea of stuff like Mutual and Guardian, really good ideas you have there!

TheHeroicChampion

Alon Region Researcher
Another few neat ability ideas.

Blade of Nature (ability for Sceptile)
"Any slashing moves used by this Pokemon become Grass-type. Leaf Blade is exempt from this."

Aquatic Jaw (ability for Feraligatr)
"Any biting moves used by this Pokemon become Water-type."

Generative Lash (ability for Ampharos)
"Any tail moves used by this Pokemon become Electric-type."

Aura Radar (ability for Lucario)
"Any aura moves used by this Pokemon bypass Substitute and protection moves."

TheHeroicChampion

Alon Region Researcher
I had an idea for a Fakemon ability a while back. This ability is for Lykaswatch, a wolf Fakemon with extremely unique attributes. It was inspired by the Insurgence version of Protean as well as Protean Maxima somewhat. However, I feel it could fit any Pokemon meant to be this versatile.

Elemental Shift
"The Pokemon enters a differently typed Shift based on the used move."

Normal - Base Shift
Grass - Garden Shift
Fire - Scorch Shift
Water - Sea Shift
Electric - Storm Shift
Steel - Knight Shift
Rock - Stone Shift
Ground - Quake Shift
Flying - Gale Shift
Ice - Chill Shift
Poison - Venom Shift
Bug - Buzz Shift
Psychic - Mind Shift
Dark - Shade Shift
Fairy - Pixie Shift
Dragon - Drake Shift
Fighting - Brawl Shift
Ghost - Spirit Shift

TheHeroicChampion

Alon Region Researcher
Another neat contribution that comes in a set.

Abilities
Burning Soul

If this Pokemon is hit by a Fire-type move, its Attack sharply rises. It will still take the damage.

Vigorous Resolve
This Pokemon takes half as much damage as it would from super-effective moves.

Moves
Mental Unlocking

The user unlocks the mind of their target, drastically reducing their Defense and Special Defense.

Turbine Tempest
The user spins like a turbine, creating a tornado around themselves. May confuse the target.

Back