• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

How do you determine BASE STATS?

TrainerWithAnOPLucario

& Lucar Xeno
So I’m the process of making a fan game, but I have no idea how to decide base stats for original Pokémon. Like the starters of the region for example… How do you decide how to do base stats?

fersure4

Rookie
I would figure out what battle niche you want the pokemon to be in, and then look at stats for already existing pokemon who fill a similar role. If you want one of your starters to be a speedy mixed attacker than something like Infernape's stats is a good place to start, but of course adjust as needed to make them unique and in line with your vision.

Fredblade

Rookie
For starters since gen 7 they have been following this pattern of base stats
1st stage: 320
2nd stage: 420
3rd stage: 530
Starters tend to have balanced stats because they must be flexible enough to fit all kinds of playstyles, not just offensively, but also defensively. Although there are cases like Gens 8 and 9 where they have min-maxed stats, just don't min-max too much and try to compare it to how official starters spread their base stats.
Also, there are other factors when it comes balancing your fakemon such as typing, movepool and abilities.

Back