• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

some concepts (how hard would they be to implement?)

Terra

Novice
hello! i am fully new to game design but have some ideas and am wondering just how.. possible they'd be to include in a game using pokemon essentials? im an experienced digital artist, took one game design class in high school, and have all the time in the world to mess around with my silly little projects.

1.base types. these would be additional typings largely unrelated to the elemental typings. example: a carnivore gets extra damage towards an herbivore, unrelated to either's elemental typing such as fire and grass.
2.crossbreeding. the ability to get an entirely new species by breeding two species together. this could be done by extremely limiting egg groups but ideally you'd be able to breed within a full egg group but only get a special crossbreed with a specific pair.
3.altering existing type matchups/status effects/et cetera. just how painful is the process?

Chase

Spriter/Writer -- Eevee Expo Host
Expo Team
1) theoretically possible w/ the coding and additional formulas, would suggest checking out the Digimon Cyber Sleuth games, they do a similar system with the cycle of Virus > Data > Vaccine in conjunction with different elements like Fire/Water/Grass/Earth/Sky and a separate duo of Light = Dark

2) Definitely possible by referencing something like Phione, not sure how to do it myself though.

3) Not that bad actually, the hardest parts I imagine would be altering the code and ESPECIALLY the balancing aspect of it

Terra

Novice
1) theoretically possible w/ the coding and additional formulas, would suggest checking out the Digimon Cyber Sleuth games, they do a similar system with the cycle of Virus > Data > Vaccine in conjunction with different elements like Fire/Water/Grass/Earth/Sky and a separate duo of Light = Dark

2) Definitely possible by referencing something like Phione, not sure how to do it myself though.

3) Not that bad actually, the hardest parts I imagine would be altering the code and ESPECIALLY the balancing aspect of it
thank you so much for the reply!!
1.that's exactly what i was thinking of hehe, just no clue how one would even start to approach the scripting...
2.i think phione fits in the idea of super limiting egg groups as manaphy can only breed with ditto
3.i wouldn't be wanting to do anything crazy! just tedious, then?

Chase

Spriter/Writer -- Eevee Expo Host
Expo Team
thank you so much for the reply!!
1.that's exactly what i was thinking of hehe, just no clue how one would even start to approach the scripting...
2.i think phione fits in the idea of super limiting egg groups as manaphy can only breed with ditto
3.i wouldn't be wanting to do anything crazy! just tedious, then?
Of course! Happy to help!

Yeah, more tedious than anything though, otherwise not too bad, if you're on the discord server, theres plenty of us there that'd be happy to help you figure it out a bit more!!

Terra

Novice
Of course! Happy to help!

Yeah, more tedious than anything though, otherwise not too bad, if you're on the discord server, theres plenty of us there that'd be happy to help you figure it out a bit more!!
i think im gonna try to learn a bit more on my own before joining the discord but ill 1000% keep in in mind! :D

v20 introduced species flags, you could use that for the extra categories. (UltraBeast is an example of an existing one, it's used with the Beast Ball) You don't have to do anything extra to create a new species flag, just add like "Flags = Carnivore" to the PBS, the bulk of the work will be implementing the effects you're wanting.

I had a tutorial for breeding mechanics like crossbreeds in v19 here. v20's changed things a bit - I know offspring of a different species are now a property of their own in the PBS - but that could be starting point for you.

Altering type matchups is just done via the PBS.

Terra

Novice
v20 introduced species flags, you could use that for the extra categories. (UltraBeast is an example of an existing one, it's used with the Beast Ball) You don't have to do anything extra to create a new species flag, just add like "Flags = Carnivore" to the PBS, the bulk of the work will be implementing the effects you're wanting.

I had a tutorial for breeding mechanics like crossbreeds in v19 here. v20's changed things a bit - I know offspring of a different species are now a property of their own in the PBS - but that could be starting point for you.

Altering type matchups is just done via the PBS.
hmm... i see i see... this is a very good starting point! ill look into the resources you provided, thank you muchly!

Terra

Novice
...i do not understand species flags. i cannot find where to put them

Back