• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

In Development Pokemon ReDX

This project is a work in progress. The content is subject to change, and not finished yet.
Project Status
Work in Progress
Project Version
Title Screen.png

My first project, (over 3 years off and on in the making...) Pokemon ReDX!
made with the Pokémon Essentials GS base
Like how Link’s Awakening DX was a Gameboy Color upgraded port, Pokémon ReDX (Red Deluxe) is a Gameboy Color “styled” upgrade to base Pokémon Red. Explore the stories of Pokémon Red with a new coat of paint. Meet new characters, tackle new plot elements, encounter new Pokémon! Become the very best, like no one ever was in Pokémon ReDX.

Welcome to the World.png
Oak was looking for you.png
Starters.png

While the basic plot follows Pokémon Red, there’s quite a lot of new events happening. You have a new rival along for the ride. Jade, if you play as a boy, or Jasper, if you play as a girl. Blue is your aggressive cocky rival who focuses on besting you battle while Jade/Jasper will be a more friendly face who is more focused on the Dex.
Rival 1.png
Rival 2 Jade.png
Rival 2 Jasper.png

Prof Oak has charged you three to beta test his life’s work, the Pokédex! Help take down the Team Rocket criminal organization. The Admins from HGSS now make appearances in their Kanto games. Looker has come to Kanto to try and uncover Team Rocket’s motives, he will meet up with you on occasion to lend a hand. Take on the Gym Challenge! Kanto's Champion's throne is currently vacant, the league has issued a challenge to all trainers to try and claim the throne for themselves!

pokedex.png
Arianna.png
Looker.png

ReDX features an expanded dex to the original 151 (coming in at around 300 species!). The Kanto region has received some minor upgrades to accommodate the new Pokémon. For example Routes 9 and 10 are now canyons and there’s a path split in Rock Tunnel that leads to a snowy mountaintop. New Mega Evolutions are being discovered too! There are side quests to pick up for extra rewards as you play through the game. Apex Pokémon are here to challenge you! A twist on Totem Pokémon, Apex Pokémon cannot be captured, but will drop loot when defeated. You will not find Apex Pokémon out in the wild, they each have a den they reside in. A Switch Battle style has been changed, now “Switch” style no longer tells you what the incoming Pokémon is. Hidden Grottos will allow you to find rare Pokemon and items. Wonder Trade unlocks during the story and allows you to find even more Pokemon! The Cable Club in Pokemon Centers is now the Trainer's Nook, where various services are provided for trainers. As you earn badges more services are unlocked! No longer do you need the move FLY! In nearly every major location you will find the Pidgeot Express, who will fly you to a place you've been to before (for a fee).

Expanded Dex.png
Expanded Dex 2.png
Apex 3.png
Cyan Town.png

The Game is 95% complete as is. What’s left to finish?

Grammar I need to go back through and work on re-writing a lot of text (I started this project 2-3 years ago and some of the older stuff is poorly written) there is also a lot of inconsistency on if Pokémon and people are written out as BULBASUR or Bulbasaur. Many instances of Pokemon or Pokedex instead of Pokémon and Pokédex that needs to be fixed.
Music Currently most all the music is MP3, I need to get all my music converted to looping tracks, low priority, but something I want to do to help with file size.
Balance I need a handful of “beta” testers to run through the game and test how well the difficulty curve is (I know what to expect so “surprises” won’t work on me as well).
Quests More quests to be added, existing quests to be polished up some more, that sort of thing.
Post Game There’s currently 3 Post Game story beats I have planned that are still in the works.
First is the dealing with the remnants of Team Rocket, this one is in 2 parts with Part 1 nearly complete.
The Battle Fortress is a mini post game facility that will have the player challenge the Battle King and his minions.
The Origin of all Pokémon will have the player explore the secret of Mew. Currently there is a Mew event that unlocks a Mew Battle in the Post Game, but that’s a placeholder until I can fully write the scenario for this event.

When the S.S. Anne plot starts and you can't leave the ship, don't lose until the Rival Battle (You'd have to go out of your way to lose there, but still, you CAN lose to your rival and be fine though, it's just a small window before that battle where the exit is blocked, and thus, the entrance too, working on this issue)

Some battle animations don't play right, main ones I'm aware of are Stealth Rock, the Terrains, and Bide for sure (despite everything in the animation editor showing they should be working right).

You may come across a duplicate TM I'm pretty sure I've made all the TMs one off, but just a heads up if you do find a duplicate. Mind you, there are some TR moves that are also TM moves.

Mega Evolutions don't have shiny sprites yet, so your shiny Black Charizard will turn into an Orange Charizard when it Mega Evolves. This is a fix that will be fixed easily enough. Mega Dragonite does not have a Back Sprite yet.

Some HM items might act funny, I was making them work off a key item at one point, then working off of just having the TM for the needed move in the bag, so a Rock Smash move might call for a Pokemon (like BDSP) or it just uses the move from the bag, either way they function the same. Eventually I will make it all work like BDSP's system. You still need to know Surf on a Pokemon in your party.

Apex Pokemon all have the "Apex Power" Ability which just provides various stat buffs. Eventually I want to make a new ability that combines Apex Power with the base ability of each Apex, so Apex Beedrill would have an Adaptability fused with Apex Power ability.
Visit the trainers School after you get the Pokedex.
All the added Beta Pokemon are Stone Evolutions.
Some Apex Dens open up after your 6th badge, including dens in previous areas such as Viridian Forest, where there were no den before. (Cinnabar Island has an NPC who can tell you roughly where these dens can be found).
The best time to explore the northern portion of Rock Tunnel is after you clear out Pokemon Tower
After you start off the S.S. Anne plot check back with one of the passengers to obtain a reward (If you had talk to them prior it will be obvious which one to return to).
Bug Maniac.png
Celadon 1.png
Celadon 2.png
Celadon 3.png
Hidden Grotto.png
Leader Brock.png
Museum 1.png
Museum 2.png
New Trainers.png
Leader Erika.png
Nugget Bridge.png
Oaks Package.png
Pewter Petals.png
Gym.png
Pidgeot Express.png
TM and TR.png
trainers nook.png
zoo.png
Zapdos.png
Apex 2.png

POKéMON ESSENTIALS GSC was created by:
  • Xaveriux​
With the indispensable help of: Caruban, prankster20, Vendily, AwfullyWaffley, TechSkylander1518, James Davy.

Pokémon Essentials GS base resources made by:
  • COMBOY​
"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
  • Flameguru​
  • Poccil (Peter O.)​
  • Maruno​
With contributions from:
  • Marin​
  • Boushy​
  • MiDas Mike​
  • Brother1440​
  • Near Fantastica​
  • FL​
  • PinkMan​
  • Genzai Kawakami​
  • Popper​
  • help-14​
  • Rataime​
  • IceGod64​
  • SoundSpawn​
  • Jacob O. Wobbrock​
  • the__end​
  • KitsuneKouta​
  • Venom12​
  • Lisa Anthony​
  • Wachunga​
  • Luka S.J.​
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
  • Enterbrain​
3rd, 4th and 5th generation Pokémon
devamped sprites made by:

• COMBOY​
  • DarkDoom3000​
  • Koolboyman​
  • Akailsamu​
  • Neslug​
  • NICKtendo DS​
  • Wes​
  • pokekicks​
  • Alpha Six​
  • Jeremy​
  • Lockerz102​
  • josthR69​
  • Koopaul​
  • Parasect047​
  • Ike​
  • ClawdNyasu​
  • Layle​
  • SengirDev​
  • Devicho​
Special thanks to:
  • Aioros​
  • The Spriters Resource​
  • Maruno​
  • FL​
  • Umbreon​
  • Pia Carrot​
  • Kcgaranzy​
  • mej71​
  • out written​
  • kiedisticelixer​
Crystal GFX Files:
  • Nuuk​
GBC Party Sprites
  • EeVeeEe1999​
  • QuilChess​
  • JF278 & Dani (from Pokémon Fierce Melody)​
Sun/Moon Community Dex v2.0:
  • Pia Carrot​
  • Pioxys​
  • Xeogran​
  • Lightning​
  • Enderific​
  • SirWhibbles​
  • SupahSanti​
  • JaegerLucciano​
  • patrickackerman​
  • Seyeba​
  • ubasuteyama​
  • Rangi​
  • bloodless​
  • lakeofdance​
  • datlopunnytho​
  • Leperagon​
  • Soloo93​
  • Bronzeswagger​
Sword/Shield Community Dex GSC style:
  • Meltan - ???, BloodlessNS​
  • Melmetal - JuicyChickenThighs, PiaCarrot​
  • Grookey, Jozzer26, PiaCarrot, JaceDeane​
  • Scorbunny - PiaCarrot, JaceDeane, BloodlessNS​
  • Sobble - EeVeeEe1999​
  • Gossifleur - QuilChess, PiaCarrot, Copetin, JaceDeane​
  • Eldegoss - PiaCarrot, JaceDeane​
  • Corviknight - LucasSevero​
  • Dreadnaw - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane​
  • Wooloo - Nuuk​
  • Zacian - PiaCarrot, Copetin​
  • Zamazenta - PiaCarrot​
  • Impidimp - PiaCarrot​
  • Yamper - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane​
  • Rolycoly - EeVeeEe1999, JaceDeane​
  • Duraldon - Enderific, JaceDeane​
  • Alcremie - JaceDeane​
  • Weezing - PiaCarrot​
  • Menu - Toxel Dragapult Chewtle Cursola Coalossal Eiscue Dracozolt Arctozolt.​
  • Hatterene Barraskewda, Mr Rime​
  • Rookiedie - Pia Carrot​
  • Morpeko - JaceDeane​
  • Polteageist - EeVeeEe1999​
  • Cramorant - EeVeeEe1999​
  • Applin - Pia Carrot​
  • Obstagoon - Copetin​
  • Sirfetchd - Enderific, JaceDeane​
  • Ponyta - JuicyChickenThighs​
  • Zigzagoon & Linoone - EeVeeEe1999​
  • Dracovish - Nuuk​
  • Drizzile Inteleon - Pia Carrot​
  • Runerigus - EeVeeEe1999​
  • Blipbug line - Enderific (and resized by Pia Carrot)​
  • Dreepy and evo - Enderific​
  • Galarian Meowth - Enderific​
  • Hattena - Cinnaboopa​
Attack Animations:
  • The Spriters Resource​
  • COMBOY​
  • RZC​
  • Xaveriux​
  • MarcStudio08/Metalflygon08/SkidMarc25 (Me!)​
Scripts:
  • Caruban​
  • Xaveriux​
  • Vendily​
  • Pia Carrot​
  • Nyaruko​
  • Pablus94​
  • Marin​
Gen 8 Project for Essentials 18 and 18.1:
Cry Credits:
  • Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries- Rhyden​
  • Gen 7 Pokemon Cries- Marin, Rhyden​
  • Gen 8 Pokemon Cries- Zeak6464​
PBS Credits:
  • Zerokid, TheToxic, Golisopod User, HM100, KyureJL, ErwanBeurier​
Script Credits:
  • Gen 8 Scripts: Vendily, TheToxic, HM100, Golisopod User, Aioross, WolfPP, MFilice, lolface, KyureJL, DarrylBD99, Turn20Negate, TheKandinavian, ErwanBeurier​
  • UberDunsparce - Compilation of Resources​
Music and SFX:
  • Pokémon Gold, Silver & Crystal​
  • Just A Gameboy​
  • Tater Tot Tunes​
  • Pokemon Puzzle League GBC​
  • Pokemon TCG Gameboy (1 and 2)​
  • Silva Gunner​
  • Lumena-tan​
  • Loeder​
  • Mixeli​
Pokémon is owned by:
  • The Pokémon Company​
  • Nintendo​
  • Affiliated with Game Freak​
If you've changed your name and have provided a resource please let me know and I will update the credits to reflect this!

Run 'Game.exe' once all aspects are complete I will properly pack the game for distribution.

Last edited:

Tauxins

Aspiring Game Maker
I found a bug that went unnoticed. If you lose to the rival before Route 25, you get soft locked after the usual post-win speech with an endless loop of the rival encounter theme.

MarcStuts08

Novice
I found a bug that went unnoticed. If you lose to the rival before Route 25, you get soft locked after the usual post-win speech with an endless loop of the rival encounter theme.
Noted, and I believe I know exactly what the cause is! Checking my notes it was a bug I forgot about. Will fix and have a new version up soon! For anyone else playing, If you don't lose this bug won't affect you but it will be fixed super soon!

EDIT: Fixed the Cerulean City Rival battle bug as well as a bug involving a missing ladder tile in Mt. Moon's 3rd floor (The warp still worked correctly, just the tile was missing).

New link for download, first post has been updated too.

Saves should transfer fine between the old and new versions.

Last edited:

MarcStuts08

Novice
i will beta test your game for you
Excellent!

If possible write down these things as you play:

Starter you choose, level and team you take on each boss at/with, how well you did against each boss, any bugs you encounter.

Tauxins

Aspiring Game Maker
Excellent!

If possible write down these things as you play:

Starter you choose, level and team you take on each boss at/with, how well you did against each boss, any bugs you encounter.
I chose Bulbasaur, haven't kept track of my levels but did catch a Pichu and buy the Magikarp, only struggled with the Cerulean City Rival battle so far, to name my specific progress and stuff.

MarcStuts08

Novice
I chose Bulbasaur, haven't kept track of my levels but did catch a Pichu and buy the Magikarp, only struggled with the Cerulean City Rival battle so far, to name my specific progress and stuff.
Very similar to my current test team lol (except I chose Charmander).

Maor80

Cooltrainer
so far i chosen bulbasur i added pichu since the mons woul overlap or being weak so until brock the the team was the same excpet i develpoed pichu at level 10 by grooming it bulbasur i recall was level 12 or 13 when faced brock so when onix was sent it learnt razor leaf which ohkoed it in mount moon i found wooper their level was raised to around 20 before misty now their levels is between 22 to 24 i added togepi from seeing fairy types appear to be very rare how togekiss learn air slash moonblast acient power and aura shepere i checked in the bps if it can learn the moves its level as i recall so its needs training also about the mushroom quest i only get tiny mushrooms is it the only item thry drop or they can drop big and balm mushrooms too so far last time i checked i got 4 tiny mushrooms

Last edited:

MarcStuts08

Novice
so far i chosen bulbasur i added pichu since the mons woul overlap or being weak so until brock the the team was the same excpet i develpoed pichu at level 10 by grooming it bulbasur i recall was level 12 or 13 when faced brock so when onix was sent it learnt razor leaf which ohkoed it in mount moon i found wooper their level was raised to around 20 before misty now their levels is between 22 to 24 i added togepi from seeing fairy types appear to be very rare how togekiss learn air slash moonblast acient power and aura shepere i checked in the bps if it can learn the moves its level as i recall so its needs training also about the mushroom quest i only get tiny mushrooms is it the only item thry drop or they can drop big and balm mushrooms too so far last time i checked i got 4 tiny mushrooms
That's good, My goal was to make it so you won't need to grind against Wild Pokemon to progress, there should be enough available trainers to get players to the levels they should be at.

I changed a lot of level up move sets and added some to existing Pokemon to balance the game a little (Pidgeot gets Extreme Speed upon evolving for example, or Pokemon who learned really powerful moves early on had them pushed back some).

As for the Mushroom Quest, check the "Mushroom" tiles in Mt. Moon, there should be just enough Mushrooms available through them to meet the Chef's requirement (The Purple and Pink things in Mt. Moon's lower floors are Mushrooms)

Maor80

Cooltrainer
where i can find shiny stone and heart scales i would want to develope togetic and realrn it moves after its evolving

MarcStuts08

Novice

New Download That also fixes an issue with the Seafoam Islands (I moved the map around and thus all the warps and hidden item events were gone).

Shiny Stone was in a currently cut area so now it's inaccessible, forgot to change that! Now you can find one in the Safari Zone. Heart Scales can now be found on wild Goldeen, or if you go into the Seafoam Islands there are tons of them as hidden items, changed it so now the earliest you can obtain one is in Pokemon Tower as a hidden item (if you figured out how to tell which graves have hidden items and which ones do not it will be a breeze to find it, though the Move reminder is locked at the Trainer's Nook until the 6th badge IIRC).

Maor80

Cooltrainer
i would sugget to add the pokemon from paldea or at the very least these who evolve from previous pokemon meaning farigraf dundunsprace kingambit and annihilape

MarcStuts08

Novice
Yup it's on the planning board the "dex" was finalized way back when Gen 7 was new, and gen 8 got added in as related Kanto Pokemon became a thing.

Not sure which Pokemon unrelated to the existing ones I will add yet though.

Preliminary Additions to the regional dex from gen 9 are: Nymble and Lokix, Wattrel and Killowatrel, Klawf, Annihilape, Clodsire, and Firagiraf. With trades for Toadsacruel and Wiglett somewhere around the resort area (where a lot of regional trades will be available).

MarcStuts08

Novice
how do you get in the game
Download the Zip from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v7rs2h32bl9bu54/ReDX Gen2.zip?dl=0

Unzip it somewhere and inside the folder is a file called 'Game.exe' double click that to boot up the game (I'd recommend installing the fonts too).

I've updated the game again (still save compatible!) Fixed some more minor bugs such as the first battle against Articuno and Moltres using Zapdos' flag instead of their own.

RePrimal

Rookie
I've been so excited for this fan game since I heard about it on r/pokemonrmxp! I just started the game but I can beta-test the game's balance

I noticed that in Jade's house, you can walk on the walls by walking on the fridge or walking on the wall to the left of her door
bug2.PNG
bug1.PNG

RePrimal

Rookie
I beat Brock's gym, I found it fairly easy. I started with a Bulbasaur, caught a Caterpie (level 3) and Pidgey (level 5). I battled every trainer I could find and any wild Pokemon that popped up, and I grinded with my Caterpie / Metapod against a few wild Pokemon while searching for a Pidgey in Viridian Forest. My team was around levels 10 - 13, Pidgey was my lowest level and Butterfree and Bulbasaur were levels 12 and 13 respectively. By the end of the gym, my team was around levels 12 - 15 since I started off most battles with Pidgey and switched to Butterfree or Bulbasaur.

I noticed that in Brock's gym, I can walk on the boulder tiles that are apart of the gym puzzle, and some you could even walk through. You can walk through the boulder tile all the way to Brock, which someone could possibly use to skip the gym trainers and battle Brock directly. I didn't do that cause I doubt that's how the game's meant to be played, but I wanted to see if there were any more tiles I could walk upon

bug3..PNG
bug4.PNG
bug5.PNG

RePrimal

Rookie
Beat Ariana at Mt. Moon, Blue, and Misty's gym. All were fairly easy although Blue knocked out one of my Pokemon. Misty, I was able to beat easily thanks to my starter who was Bulbasaur (which is now an Ivysaur), I didn't find myself having to switch at any point. I got the level 5 Magikarp from the Magikarp Salesman on Route 4 and put it at the front of my party. I battled every single trainer and wild Pokemon including in Mt. Moon where a lot of Pokemon spawned, so by the time I battled Ariana, my team was around the same level as hers with the exception of my Pidgeotto who was level 18. I also caught the level 16 Raticate on Route 4, coming out of Mt. Moon. By the time I got to Bill, my Magikarp evolved into a Gyarados. By the time I got to Misty's gym, I had a team of 5 including Ivysaur, Butterfree, Pidgeotto, Gyarados, and Raticate, and my team for the most part was around level 20. The level curve so far has been pretty balanced, there are a lot of opportunities to battle trainers, and battling the wild Pokemon's allowed my team to stay around the same level

Found this while at the Nursery & Ranch on Route 5
bug6.PNG

MarcStuts08

Novice
Thanks for the feedback! I've fixed those walk through issues now. They'll be updated by the next release (Which will also include a TM compatibility update as in my current testing I'm finding I forgot about several Pokemon when changing around the TMs)

The level curve should see you on par with the trainers until after you beat Lavender, then the trainers jump up a little in power due to the player having wider access to moves and such.

For now the Boss Trainers will be "easy" because the AI is quite, well, simple (for example, Koga's lead is supposed to set up hazards and then use Memento, but instead it will often use Memento turn 1!). Once the GSC engine is updated to v20 of Essentials I'll probably include one of the various AI enhancement plugins.

Nutcase71733

Cooltrainer
Note to the project head; this game had a trojan included in the file when I downloaded it. Please choose a different file sharing site or something because I think that was the cause

Back