• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokemon Minimal!

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
Title.png

Description:
Pokèmon Minimal is a rogue-lite Pokèmon game. This game is designed to be fast paced and all about battling. Your goal is to rebuild a town by battling through hordes of trainers and gym leaders on your adventures to fight the Elite Four. Each adventure is akin to Mt. Battle but it's not 100 trainers.

There of course is a catch. Lose one battle and it's back to the start with you and if a Pokèmon faints it’s fainted for good! There is no grinding on your adventure, it is a simple flow of encountering a wild Pokèmon and getting into a battle. Rinse and Repeat that till you find yourself in front of the Elite Four!

The Pokèmon in this game were all completely rebalanced. Now that's a monumental task that would have taken an extraordinary amount of time. So instead I spend twice that time writing an AI to rebalance all of the Pokèmon. This of course has led to some completely silly things which you will get to explore on your adventures.

Pokèmon Minimal has 4 different game modes for you to discover, all of which can be completed in single or double battles. 85 unique passive items to help you on your various runs. 13 upgradeable buildings that will help you on your future adventures. Around 12,000 different trainers for you to battle which ensures that every run will be different from the last. About 300 different gym battles to partake in with you getting the choice in what gyms you fight and what order you fight them in!

If you wish to read more about any of this here is the Guide Book. This Guide Book contains the most important details about the game's inner-workings. Warning of course there are spoilers in it if you wish to explore on your own.

Core Mechanical Changes:
  • No Exp is ever awarded.
  • Instead the player is only able to level up by use of rare candies.
  • Hard level caps are enforced and as the player progresses that level cap increases.
  • ALL Pokèmon Evolve at a set rate.
  • 3 Stage Pokèmon evolve at 30 and 55
  • 2 Stage Pokèmon evolve at 41
  • 1 Stage Pokèmon are very powerful and will be uncatchable till late game.
  • There are no EV’s
  • Some moves have been changed to help the AI. Ex: Leaf storm type moves have been changed to recoil (but still work with contrary)
  • Pokemon are fully healed after every battle but if a Pokèmon n faints it faints for good.
  • All battles take place in set mode.
  • Pokèmon can learn any TM.
  • Shiny Pokèmon are more common and get a 10% buff to all stats.
Core Game-play Loop:

Starting your adventure you will be given rare candies and Pokèmon.
You are offered 3 of 18 (one for each type) starting Pokèmon.
Behind those Pokèmon are 3 randomly selected gyms.

gym selection.png

After choosing your starter you will head into that gym where you will encounter your first route.

There are 58 routes you must Conquer on your way to the Elite 4!

Each route has a wild encounter. That encounter is more likely to be a Pokèmon that is useful against the gym you are going towards..

In addition the route has a trainer battle against Professor Oak. There are 100 different possible trainers that you can face on any given route.

After beating that trainer you move on to the next route till you make it to a gym.

The gyms occur after specific routes a list of them is provided below.

Gym 1 after route 10
Gym 2 after route 20
Gym 3 after route 28
Gym 4 after route 36
Gym 5 after route 42
Gym 6 after route 48
Gym 7 after route 52
Gym 8 after route 56
Elite 4 after route 58

What is on a Route?
Untitled.png

Required Trainer: This trainer you must battle to make it to the next route
Encounter: This is the wild Pokèmon you will encounter on each route.
Save Tile: These are the only spots you can save your game by walking on it. (Saving is only for when you want to quit and come back. You cannot use it to cheese fights).
Item Shop: This takes you to the item shop when you step on it.
Move Relearner: Pokemon can relearn any moves they learned. He is free by the way!
PC: It’s a PC!
Secret Rocks: Gotta play to find out I guess.

Download Link:
Pokèmon Minimal Final v1

Speed Up:
The speed up function is by default it bound to "Q" but if you hit F1 you will bring up the key bindings here you can find the key binding for speed up and change it to whatever you would like.

1677102899080.png

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak
Scripts:
Better Fast-forward Mode by Marin
EV and IV’s In Summary by Deoxysprime
Visuals:
Animations from the folks at Pokemon Reborn
Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites and Icons from the folks at Pokemon Zero
StreakOfSprites - Hoenn Gym Leaders Sprites
Brolunite - Jasmine Sprite
Aveontrainer - Overworld Sprites
TsubasaHolics - Aaron & Iris Sprites
BrendanBass - Overworld Sprites
Princess-Phoenix - Vitrual Room Tileset
PkmnAlexandrite - Bank Tiles
J-Treecko252- Tent Tiles
Neffertity - Pokemon SS Custom Statues
Ekat - Park Tileset
Aveontrainer - Farm Tileset by
GormenGhast - Trophies

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Last edited:

pkthedragon

Narrative Designer and Stats/Distros Gal
Hey!

Having looked through the game, I have some criticism, mainly with the AI generated PBS file.

The rebalancing the AI did is pretty nonsensical, to be frank. It features things like Hustle Ninetales, Skill Link Charizard with no multi-hit moves, Chlorophyll Arbok, etc. Farfetch’d with 150 attack, and plenty of other questionable statlines. Iron Fist Fearow that learns no punching moves but does learn Discharge at level 75.

I think your game is conceptually very interesting, and the idea behind it seems fun, but I would go back and manually rebalance all the Pokémon or try and touch up what the AI did. At the moment, the game is hard to play because of it.

Now of course, if this is intentional, then more power to you!

Loven Drunk

Rookie
Hey!

Having looked through the game, I have some criticism, mainly with the AI generated PBS file.

The rebalancing the AI did is pretty nonsensical, to be frank. It features things like Hustle Ninetales, Skill Link Charizard with no multi-hit moves, Chlorophyll Arbok, etc. Farfetch’d with 150 attack, and plenty of other questionable statlines. Iron Fist Fearow that learns no punching moves but does learn Discharge at level 75.

I think your game is conceptually very interesting, and the idea behind it seems fun, but I would go back and manually rebalance all the Pokémon or try and touch up what the AI did. At the moment, the game is hard to play because of it.

Now of course, if this is intentional, then more power to you!

I find that the AI did about what was expected honestly. It has a very persice way of calculating things and thus I'm sure it sometimes did things from its perspective that all blance out. I can tell you despite charizards lack of real abilities it is a good mon and the ferrow I was using last night was awesome.

I think maybe some perspective on how powerful pokemom are could be provided. Which is to say there are 6 tiers and depending where they fall all pokemon of that tier are the same power level roughly.

Because of the way things worked out. Grass and electric type pokemon have mostly grass and electric type moves. Ice type pokemon rarely have ice type moves early and so on.

Now i hear your criticism and honestly think that wierdness in of itself will be off-putting to some people. So on the second release of the game I may include the option to play with the Vanilla mons. This would require a bit of work on my end to make that work but it's doable. Not a main concern of mine because I love it the way it is and all of its jankness has a special charm to me. That might be because I've been looking at these mons for over a year now and I'm probably very biased.

However it makes me giggle everytime I see something silly that i hadnt seen before like hitmonlee with a punch move.

Also yes this game was intended to be very hard. It will be easier on the 2nd version whenever that is released. The only thing I think right now that is to difficult is the elite 4. They are crazy hard like with a 10 level advantage I struggle agaisnt them which is mind blowing to me. So as far as balance is concerned that's the first place I'm going to be looking.

That being said I really do appreciate the feedback I've been starring at this game for so long its quirks are burned into me.

filiberto27

Rookie
I think your game has a lot of potential and the concept sounds enjoyable, however I would go back and adjust all the Pokémon by hand or try to fix the AI's mistakes. Because of this, the game is now challenging.

Loven Drunk

Rookie
Challenging was the point. It will get easier in the future. I'm thinking of the ability to play with the normal mons as an option. This however is not the intent of the game right now.

If you play on hard right now it should feel unfair. I assure you that it is beatable on hard. Baring the Elite 4, which in it's current state is disgustingly difficult and that is something I'm going to be looking into.

As always i appreciate the feedback.

Loven Drunk

Rookie
Bump because it's done and I'm excited and exhausted. This project has come so far from where it once was and I am so very happy with where it has ended. I will not be updating it further unless there is some game breaking bug that I missed in my play testing which is quite possible.

Cedrik

Rookie
Hi, I may have missed this information but how many Pokemon are available?

Sind3x

Rookie
Is this game easy because I'll consider playing it (I dont like very hard pokemon games)?

zscythe

Rookie
Do you have a discord for the game to be able to talk and ask what upgrades to go for first and what ones you should hold off on etc

Loven Drunk

Rookie
Do you have a discord for the game to be able to talk and ask what upgrades to go for first and what ones you should hold off on etc
Nope game is to small for that.

As the dev I'd say rush the bank.

I like rushing the oracle after that.

Then the item radar adds a lot of fun to the game for me.

Upgrading the lab will make your runs a lot easier.

xynnyx

Rookie
loving the game but as people stated with moves earlier some sets can be rather odd such as a cubchoo with ingrain lmao. but love it and fully enjoying the runs

Back