• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Gym Trials (V1.2)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Screenshot (37).png

Game Title: Pokemon Gym Trials
Screenshot (21).png
Screenshot (22).png
Screenshot (23).png
Screenshot (24).png
Screenshot (30).png
Screenshot (26).png
Screenshot (28).png
Screenshot (32).png
Screenshot (33).png
Screenshot (34).png

Mega:
Google Drive:

Made Using: RPG Maker XP, and Pokemon Essentials v20.1

Team: Enigma

Notes: There's some small bugs, but the game is functional. Lots more content will be added in a later update, including the Nocturnal Dunes becoming accessible,

Welcome to the Popular Region of Vetal!
You have been hired by the Pokemon League to challenge all 21 Gyms present in the region. Fly from settlement to settlement, fighting newly introduced Gym leaders, and earning their badges!
Once you've defeated every Gym leader, you can allocate 8 leaders to each populated settlement!
Build a team with many Pokemon, available at the beginning of the game. All your favourites can be used while you fight Leader after Leader.

Resource Pack:

Enigma
20.1 hotfixes by Maruno

Essentials Deluxe by Lucidious89

-Z-Move Credits-
Base Script (v16.2): Marcello, Pokemon Reborn Team
Adaptation to Essentials v18.1: StCooler
Adaptation to Essentials v19+: Lucidious89

-Ultra Burst Credits-
Base Script (v17.2): WolfPP
Adaptation to Essentials v18.1: Lucidious89, StCooler

-Dynamax Credits-
Original Tutorial (v17.2): Fauno

-Max Raid Credits-
Original Scripts (v17.2): Lucidious89

-Dynamax Adventures Credits-
Original Scripts (v19+): Lucidious89

-Graphic Credits-
Gigantamax Pokemon Sprites: Contributors to Smogon's Sword/Shield Sprite Project
Official Item/Pokemon Icons: Game Freak
Max Raid Den Sprite: Pokemon Rejuvenation Team
Other Plugin Sprites: Lucidious89
Pixel Art Sprite Overhaul: Lichenprincess

-Audio Credits-
Gigantamax Cries: Game Rips by Aydenthao
All Audio Files: Game Freak

Bag party screen by DiegoWT

• Battler Sprites:
    • Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites - veekun
    • Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
    • Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project
  • Overworld Sprites
    • Gen 6+ Berry Tree Overworlds - Anarlaurendil
    • Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds - princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds - Larry Turbo, princess-pheonix
    • Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds - SageDeoxys, Wolfang62, LarryTurbo, tammyclaydon
    • Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds - MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer, LarryTurbo
  • Icon Sprites
    • Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Alaguesia
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
    • Gen 8 Icon Sprites - Larry Turbo, Leparagon
  • Cry Credits:
    • Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries - Rhyden
    • Gen 7 Pokemon Cries - Marin, Rhyden
    • Gen 8 Pokemon Cries - Zeak6464
  • Script Credits:
    • Golisopod User, Luka S.J.
  • Compilation of Resources:
    • Golisopod User, UberDunsparce
BW party screen by
Modified by DeepBlue PacificWaves Special thanks to Shashu-Greninja, that help with the implementation of the ZUD Compatibility Patch, and Golisopod User, that implement the Plug & Play code for Gen 8 v19/ZUD Plugin v19. Graphics Ripped by DeepBlue PacificWaves

Overworld Shadows Ex by
Golisopod Us
Mar
WolfPP

Signpost graphics by
PurpleZaffre
Golisopod User
LostSoulsDev / carmaniac

ENLS's pre looped music library
Looped and compiled by:
@ENLS
@KrakerwatYT
@Thundaga

Gen 4 Trainer Sprites b
Mr. Gela/theo#77
Moliblazer

Gen 4 OW Sprites b
Neo-Spritem
VanillaSunshi
PurpleZaffre & Maicerochi
AtomicReactor

BW storage system by Modified by DeepBlue PacificWaves Graphics Ripped by DeepBlue PacificWaves, Barubary and redblueyellow

If you use it, please give credits to:

Modified by DeepBlue PacificWaves
Special thanks to Shashu-Greninja, that help with the implementation of the ZUD Compatibility Patch, and Golisopod User, that implement the Plug & Play code for Gen 8 v19/ZUD Plugin v19.
Scrolling Background inspired by Mr. Gela's HGSS Trainer Card Scene

IV Ratings on Summary Screen
Adapted from Lucidious89's IV star script by Tommaniacal

Stat Screen Upgrade (EVs and IVs in Summary)
By Weibrot, Kobi2604 and dirkriptide
Converted to BW Summary Pack by DeepBlue PacificWaves

Graphics Ripped by DeepBlue PacificWaves
Font Ripped by Ploaj

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Forest (Arcane Forest)
Alien Forest (ET Woods)

Desert (Carson Desert)
Nocturnal Desert (Nocturnal Dunes) (To be added)

Cave (Aquacrest Cave)
Ruined (Ancient Ruins)

This was my first ever game jam, and first ever completed game. If you have any feedback, please don't hesitate. If you enjoy the Game, please spread the word. A later update will be released, including cool things, like mid battle dialogue, rematches, and more!

Attachments

• Screenshot (37).png
    Screenshot (37).png
    181.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Hello, I'm playing through the game, haven't finished yet- will leave a review later, but here is an important bug you need to fix: none of the PCs in the Pokemon Centers work, only the very first PC in Kenzo's room. This makes the process of changing a member of your team tedious, requiring the player to backtrack to the respective Taxi of each location, warp back to the city, then go to the league building, then go back again. Alongside this, many of the pokemon sprites disappear when the PC is being used - either when placed in the Party, or in any of the boxes - but this isn't as important for now.

Two other very significant things to note, that I would highly recommend you implement asap:
1) PC box should be accessible via a key item, from the bag, making swapping your team a breeze
2) A healer should be available in every gym. Preferably at the start and end of the Gym (prep room and gym leader room). It's really time-consuming to have to go back to the Pokecenter after every couple trainer battles, not to mention the Gyms are spread all around a location.
3) Open a teleporter that warps you to the Gym entrance after defeating a leader. Some gyms take long to get through

Since this is a battle-focused game, the above will greatly improve the experience. For some people even, the game might not be approachable at all due to the backtracking.

Last edited:

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Am still in the process of getting through the game.

There is a major bug in the UFO gym. The move route event, right at the end before you transition to the final room, is trying to move the player 1 tile further back. But the player is blocked by furniture. The player is stuck there, unable to progress (and the fade to black hides the fact, so the player might think they have a blind puzzle to solve). This makes the gym impossible to complete. Use "ignore if can't move" to solve this.

Also, please consider my previous post, it is likely most people will be put off by the backtracking and other issues, unless you address them.
I will add to the aforementioned suggestions this 4) Make move relearner accessible via an item, as you also need to backtrack to the city to change your moves.

Enigma

Certified lonely
Am still in the process of getting through the game.

There is a major bug in the UFO gym. The move route event, right at the end before you transition to the final room, is trying to move the player 1 tile further back. But the player is blocked by furniture. The player is stuck there, unable to progress (and the fade to black hides the fact, so the player might think they have a blind puzzle to solve). This makes the gym impossible to complete. Use "ignore if can't move" to solve this.

Also, please consider my previous post, it is likely most people will be put off by the backtracking and other issues, unless you address them.
I will add to the aforementioned suggestions this 4) Make move relearner accessible via an item, as you also need to backtrack to the city to change your move
Thanks for the feedback!

I've fixed the gym issue in the latest patch, so it should all work just fine. It's kinda weird, as me nor any of my friends had that glitch. I've also fixed the glitch where the player can't access the PC in the Pokemon Centres. Hopefully that should make switching your team easier. During my playtests of the game, I didn't really find myself switching Pokemon around, but I've made it easier for now.
As for adding a key item that allows the player to access the PC or move relearner, I can't add content to the game until the Jam is over, but I can assure you that there will be a lot of QoL improvements in the final version.
I kept the name of the new version the same, so hopefully all progress should continue through.
Thanks for playing my game! I'll be sure to take all feedback into consideration! :)

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Alright, I’m done, here’s my review of the game:

“Gym Trials” is a battle-focused game whose strongest areas are visuals and gym leader presentation. There is a big selection of mons available to make your team from. Some of them don’t have the best movesets out of the box, but the relearner can help with that. Battles feature dynamax as the main gimmick. Story and setting are what you’d expect from a battle-focused game, but there is a lot of room for a sub-plot, or a more intricate general plot.

Battles felt balanced, although it seemed like enemy mons were a bit stronger than player mons, overall. Leaders use a variety of tactics, but I never ran into a Leader who used entry hazards. A speedup button would be highly desirable in a battle-focused game like this, but unfortunately it wasn't included.

Character sprites, including portraits, overworld, and trainer sprites have a lot of charm and personality to them. Some of the themes chosen for the designs feel like they’d belong to the official games, provided their palette was closer to what you’d expect from said games. Gym Leader presentation is top-notch, and while jam restrictions didn’t allow for complete fleshing out of all Gym Leader presentation and animations, it’s all a visual treat. A lot of care went into sprite movement and cutscenes. Many Gym Leaders are memorable, solely based on their “entrance” presentation and design, which says a lot about the art. There’s also nice little details, like crowds watching your battles.

Gym design is for the vast majority of Gyms very inspired, with some Gyms standing out as incredible unique experiences (e.g. the UFO Gym). The puzzles are generally good, although it feels like they would have benefited from deviating from your normal Pokemon Gym puzzles. Understandably, the sheer amount of Gyms makes it hard to come up with many unique puzzles. There are some Gyms that suffer from tedious puzzles, however.

Characterization and mannerisms are well done, and match the expected personalities of the Gym Leaders. NPC dialogue is funny, but could use some touching up as to not feel too meme-y. There wasn’t enough time to populate every interior, but with a little more work, the setting will feel much more lively and realistic.

Tileset art is wonderful, with great color choices accompanying the atmosphere of each unique location. Mapping is very compact and varied enough to make the locations stand out. Miscellaneous art, like that used in certain Gyms, and the sleek UI, makes for a rich visual experience. Building tiles are really satisfying to look at, something I cannot say for most fangames.

The game got a bit overambitious with implementing so many Gyms – it is likely that character designs were made first, and the gameplay and scope considerations were taken into account second. Scope creep, if managed, could have led to a better overall experience, and perhaps would have provided the developer with more time to polish, and focus on quality rather than quantity. However, this can be dealt with post-jam, given that certain backtracking and healing issues are resolved.

If every Gym gets a unique treatment, with art and puzzles on the level of the UFO Gym, and there is something more to the plot and the NPCs, this game will have fully achieved its aim. It's likely that the existing number of Gyms isn't necessary, but that could also be a subjective thing.

• It's preferrable to avoid political references to the real world, especially as stark as that one NPC's line
  • all the buildings are pretty similar on the upper right-hand side of the starting city, you could use 1 more variation
  • many interiors are empty
  • Portraits are a really nice touch, you can use fewer black outlines to make them blend better
  • Flying-Type gym leader event should inform you that you need to interact with the statues to answer questions after defetaing all trainers. Reason being, if you interact with the statues before defeating them all, you dont get any prompt
  • Character spritework, including portraits, might benefit from colors more closely matching those of the official games
  • It would be better if the game communicated to you that there's more than 1 box containing Pokemon
  • Taxi transfer time is a bit long, wait should be shortened
  • indication that all gyms in a location have been cleared would be good to have
  • remove last resort from eeveelutions, the AI doesnt know how to use it. Same with Kenzo's dragapault
  • gym leader's Roserade shouldnt have absorb
  • having to rebattle trainers upon answering wrong in the normal-type gym is also very tedious. Especially when the answers depend on outside or trivial knowledge (it would be better if the answers were derived from the gym interior itself, e.g. number of statues or bookshelves)
  • It feels like most of the gym trainers are fodder at this point - since all your mons are level 100, it doesnt feel like they serve a purpose. They do make the whole experience slower. Especially considering the amount of gyms you have. However Gyms without Gym Trainers isn't the best thing either - perhaps just reduce their numbers
  • memory test asking you to remember number of letters in a sentence is just not a well designed thing. This puzzle suffers from improper design. The questions are outrageous, not to mention outdated - for instance, move PP does not match changes in PP in recent years anyway, and there is scarcely any time to memorize details on the last slide. Especially when the game does not allow you to heal between questions
  • it feels weird that some maps have wild encounters in grass, but others dont
  • Earth type gym leader's nidoqueen has very weak moves
  • claps and crowd cheers after a victory where applicable, would be a nice little addition
  • spawning the player back in the first room of the Abandoned Hotel if they step on the wrong teleporter, instead of the same room, is very tedious. There's already an example of how to do that in official games; saffron gym. It's also exacerbated due to the slow teleporting animation
  • not certain but I believe Kenzo first mentioned "22" badges, then "21" then 19?
  • you should make the final arena where you fight Kenzo smaller, so that the camera pan doesnt obscure the characters from view, when they talk
  • post-jam, it'd be nice if you could see your gym leader choices. That would probably require duplicate maps of the locations, though

• No opening music?
  • Kenzo isnt interactable after the intro
  • His warning after trying to leave without a mon isnt showing his portrait
  • Pokemon do not appear in the party box even after placing them there, from the PC. In fact, many sprites vanish after being placed
  • The show watching family should turn to face the TV after being talked to. Same with bosses pep talk guys
  • In some interior maps, the reflection void is visible, especially near the exit
  • Eva says "simple spectacular" instead of simply
  • you havent used direction fix for the science class doors that are locked, making their sprite disappear upon interaction
  • Cafeteria personnel aren't interactable - this is the case for almost every NPC behind a counter. You must have either forgotten to use the counter tile setting in the tileset tab, or, you never gave those npcs dialogue
  • Camper Chris in Maths class says "impecable" instead of "impeccable"
  • memory text "punchuacion" should be "punctuation"
  • Chef! That the order? instead of Chef! that the order?
  • almost all interior maps dont have music - you should set the music of the interior maps to a lower volume version of the respective town BGM
  • wait time on the rock gym when pushing buttons is longer than needed
  • Bolt: You're really strong, k'now that? (should be ya know that?)
  • Rouge: anyways challenger line no full stop/comma
  • Taxi driver when asked about dunes - comma and full stop missing in many places
  • Taxi driver in water city is farther away from the checkpoint entrance than normal
  • Guy who says yaaaaaaaaawn, no full stop
  • dragon gym ledge stairs that come out from basement dont lead back to it
  • reflection of player is visible in the dark gym, at the entrance. defeating the leader does not restore your line of sight radius, neither does going back to the first room (gym advisor room)
  • you can run away from wild encounter battles in the Abandoned Hotel (and their OW sprite stays there), possibly in the figthing gym too.
  • Kenzo "I'm certain that was difficult" line, no full stop. (upon getting all badges)

Attachments

• floating alcremie.PNG
    floating alcremie.PNG
    25.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Grammar.PNG
    Grammar.PNG
    68.5 KB · Views: 141
  • Morpeko hangry floating.PNG
    Morpeko hangry floating.PNG
    15.1 KB · Views: 144
  • Map Border bug.PNG
    Map Border bug.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 147
  • Tile error.PNG
    Tile error.PNG
    42.9 KB · Views: 148
  • Typo 2.PNG
    Typo 2.PNG
    8.3 KB · Views: 144
  • Typo 3.PNG
    Typo 3.PNG
    14.2 KB · Views: 147
  • Typo 5.PNG
    Typo 5.PNG
    26 KB · Views: 137
  • Typo 6.PNG
    Typo 6.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Typo 7.PNG
    Typo 7.PNG
    21.4 KB · Views: 139
  • Typo 8.PNG
    Typo 8.PNG
    24.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Typo.PNG
    Typo.PNG
    17.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Typo4.PNG
    Typo4.PNG
    43.5 KB · Views: 144
  • waisting instead of wasting.PNG
    waisting instead of wasting.PNG
    27.6 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Yonderd

Rookie
There is one issue I spot while playing using Toucannon. Whenever you use Beak Blast, instead of the opponent getting burned if they hit you with a contact move, Toucannon gets burned instead, which is way backwards from how the move is suppose to work. Granted, funny, but impractical. :'D

Back