• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released DISCARDED

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Made for Relic Castle Winter Game Jam 4.
Made in RPG Maker XP using Pokémon Essentials v20.1.
1677057140209.png

"Merry Christmas!" ...The first words I'd ever heard, followed by the gleeful cheers of a young boy....
A young boy who I would form an unbreakable bond with, only to be separated without warning.
...I need to get back Home...

Developer: Cuprite

Screenshots:
1677457318358.png

Credits:

DISCARDED
Credits

---Developer:---

Cuprite

---Graphics:---

Cuprite<s>Generation 9 Pack
RPG Maker MV<s>Augmented Reborn Animations
AskyWalker<s>Matheus123
Random Talking Bush<s>Tonberry2k
Electropolitan<s>Reborn
J-Treecko252<s>Gen 8 Project
MBommeli<s>David Fens
ImZero<s>NocTurn
Focus Meter System

---Audio:---

Cuprite<s>Hellworth
Generation 9 Pack<s>RPG Maker MV
Augmented Reborn Animations<s>Reborn
Pokémon Cries<s>Focus Meter System

---Extra Scripts:---

Heretic

---Augmented Reborn Animations:---

Reborn<s>StCooler
DarryBD99<s>WolfPP
ardicoozer<s>riddlemeree
BellBlitzKing

---Generation 9 Pack:---

Script Gen 9 and Adapting PLA for v20:
Caruban

PBS for Gen 9:
Caruban<s>PorousMist
DJChaos

Pokemon Gen 9 Battler Sprites:
The-King-Of-Roads-X<s>Mak
leParagon<s>Caruban
Azria<s>Mashirosakura
aR0y2810<s>Katten

Battler Sprites QC:
leParagon

Pokemon Gen 9 icons:
Caruban<s>CarmaNekko
AxelLoquendo<s>Cesare_Cbass
MBCMechachu<s>Vent

Pokemon Gen 9 Followers:
Azria<s>DarkusShadow

Full Sprites Credit List:

Pokemon Gen 9 Cries:
Edited from Lightblade Absol Gen 9 Cries compilation video

Original Pokémon: Legends Arceus Expansion Script :
StCooler<s>PorousMist
curryofthepast

PLA item icons :
AztecCroc<s>3DJackArt
Caruban

Pokemon cries ripped:
Morningdew

Pokeballs battle animation and summary icon:
Caruban<s>WolfPP

PLA Pokémon icons:
LuigiTKO

Followers:
Boonzeet<s>DarkusShadow
princess-phoenix<s>Ezeart
Wolfang62

PLA Sprites from Smogon Gen8 Sprite Project :
Blaquaza<s>KingOfThe-X-Roads
KattenK<s>Travis
G.E.Z.<s>SpheX
Hematite

---Plugin Credits:---

Maruno
Caruban
Lucidious89

---Engine and Misc.:---

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
Golisopod User<s>Rataime
help-14<s>Savordez
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
Luka S.J.<s>
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on "mkxp" by Ancurio et al.

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Game Download Link:

Resource Pack Thread Link:

Changelog:

Note: Entries in red have since been removed from the list of downloads. This will likely only happen with redundant bug-fixes.

- v0.1:
  • Original release, entry for Relic Castle Winter Game Jam 4 (Bugs and all).
- v0.2:
  • Various bug fixes, one in particular being game-breaking.
- v0.3:
  • Fixed another game-breaking bug and fixed the World Map not disabling the "Starting Over" switch.

Three Settings:
  • Bustling City
  • Nocturnal Forest
  • Ruined Desert

Game Jam Notes:
  • The second half of the game was kinda rushed, but I'm still overall pretty happy with it (Even if I think I could have done better).
  • The next version of the game will be the full thing, so please keep an eye on this thread if you're at all interested. :)
  • The battle system has been somewhat modified to fit with the type of game this is. It uses Lucidious89's Focus Meter System and you fight with all party members at once, up to 3.
  • Location explanations:
    -The "Bustling City" is The City you start the game in, the same city you're trying to get back to throughout the course of the game.
    -The "Nocturnal Forest" is the Midnight Woodlands. It's always dark inside, making it hard for some plants to survive, but many thrive despite this.
    -The "Ruined Desert" is the Sunbake Desert. There was once a large civilization that lived in this desert, covering it almost entirely, but they've been gone for millennia.
  • The Sunbake Desert is only one floor currently, but it's planned to be 4 floors total by the time the game is complete.
  • Since the game was intended to be complete for this jam, I had originally intended to use two more settings (Which can still be seen on the World Map). They would have been "Golden Cave" and "Ominous Factory."
  • (Feb 22, 7:20 PM EST) I realized I forgot a couple of things in the credits, so I've since added those to the resource pack and the in-game credits to add the one person I forgot.

Thank you for checking out my game, it means a lot. Go check out the other RCWGJ4 entries as well, they deserve your attention too! :D

Attachments

• 1677059124298.png
    1677059124298.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 508
Last edited:

Cuprite (Kyu)

Novice
If the download isn't working for a bit, I reuploaded the game cause I fixed the credits, and then realized I forgot a step in the uploading process so I'm reuploading it again. This should be the last time, I swear.

Cuprite (Kyu)

Novice
Just started the game and I have to say that the setting has me hooked!
Glad to hear that! I hope you end up enjoying the rest of the demo. ^-^

(Also, general update: I updated the screenshots since one of them had playtest stuff in it and the new one actually shows something implemented for this game specifically)

Last edited:

Cuprite (Kyu)

Novice
Important update: v0.2 has been uploaded to fix a game-breaking bug. Thanks for finding that during your stream, Thundaga. Lmao.

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Hey, playing through the game atm, will provide a review when done - posting a potentially progression-halting bug (if you save): the way jumping rocks have been implemented enables the player to get "inside" the swamp and go out of bounds.

Attachments

• Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    27.5 KB · Views: 102

Cuprite (Kyu)

Novice
Hey, playing through the game atm, will provide a review when done - posting a potentially progression-halting bug (if you save): the way jumping rocks have been implemented enables the player to get "inside" the swamp and go out of bounds.
Ah, I see what happened. Touching the event from the north side still activates it. I thought I fixed all instances of that but I guess I didn't.
Welp, time to make v0.3! Lmao.
In all seriousness, thank you for letting me know about this.

Edit: v0.3 is being uploaded now. v0.2 has been removed since it's redundant. (I hope I didn't accidentally leave any new content in there, but I think I got rid of it all. Pretty confident I did)

Last edited:

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Here is my review of Discarded:

“Discarded” has been crafted with a lot of care and attention to detail, with a unique setting intimate with its gameplay segments. The story bears emotional weight without any kind of unnecessary dialogue – characterization and cutscene direction only serve to compliment the more pure game-y style of storytelling. There is a good amount of lore whose bits and pieces are sprinkled throughout menus, dialogue objects, and overall presentation. It never feels forced, or out of place. Exposition is limited to the bare minimum, and textboxes are adjusted to proper length. The prologue hook grabs your attention successfully, without dragging on more than it should.

Mapping is very tight and carefully planned, with only minor details left to address in order to polish it up. The gameplay loop is satisfying, and indicative of a good level of experience with eventing, and RPG Maker in general. There are many, many small details everywhere, that speak for the developer’s love for the craft. I haven’t played any of the PMD games (assuming this has also been inspired by them), so I am unsure if what I say here is inaccurate, but “map edge borders” is something I haven’t associated with most RPGs - and for me, it subtracted from the experience. The maps felt as if they were contained inside literal boxes, taking the immersion away. Puzzles utilize the conventional map mechanics in a very novel way – you can traverse certain terrains based on your point of entry to said terrains. Boss battles work like puzzles themselves, making the usual boring Pokemon boss fights much more interesting. Environmental storytelling is prominent in this game, something that should be applauded.

OST choice is great for the most part, and quite emotional, but I can’t say for sure it fits the world to a T. There is a lot of familiarity on part of the developer with JRPG soundtracks, and sometimes these tend to have an overly emotional melodic expression inappropriate for certain situations – battles have a feel of childish wonder and “celebration” to them, when the game takes place in a similar to a post-apocalyptic setting, with unknown dangers around the corner. (This is a general problem with JRPGs, presentation of tension and violent encounters is happy-go-lucky in a very naive sense; nothing to do with the Developer’s preferences, it’s kind of a tradition in the genre.). The Bravely Default theme was just made that way, and while I love it a lot, it doesn’t feel like the best choice for “wild” encounters.

The implications of the lore and the setting, along with the interplay between gameplay and its other elements, are delivered in a coherent manner, in such a compact and consistent way, that the game feels more like a professional or indie attempt, than a hobbyist work. Graphical presentation, while also carefully approached (UI, tiles), falls under the necessities of a game jam game and a solo dev endeavor – inconsistent pixel densities and usage of assets from later engines. This isn’t a criticism given jam and “team count” limitation, but it’s something that a dedicated artist can quickly solve in the future. Addressing this will make for a game greater than the sum of its parts.

“Discarded” is above all a love child, perhaps the only thing to consider when playing a game in the first place - so give it a go and you won’t be disappointed!

- Nice little details like SFX, compact dialogue, highlighted text, tile details (eg that one students desk, chairs) flavor text in battle, sprite animations, jukebox functionality, even the ribbon (though the summary still says "pokemon" but I can see where this is going), overall UI, the shiny mark to indicate that the model is special, the names of the original owners. Possibly deprecated models have the shiny mark if Noctowl is to be taken as such. Indirect hints about intractable objects like Bannete's before leaving the dumpster are a also nice touch. Waterfall, pot warning, the flood, the gym doors taking twice to open

- custcene direction is great

- the focus based battle system is an interesting addition that doesnt stray too far from expected mechanics, while also being unique enough, caveat below

- It's kind of ironic when I chased after the shiny trubbish only for the battle system to say "trubbish attacked, you retaliated" xD xD

- very interesting 3-party battle system

- should replicas have genders?

- no special item if you bought everything from kecleon?

- magmortar boss can be hit or miss (literally) if it chooses the smog attack, then deli go bye bye, otherwise you can win pretty easily (normal mode). This feels random, unless I missed something

- missed chance to use Crystal Chronicles music in the desert (jk Im biased)

For some of these, accompanying screenshots below. Screenshots are titled as bugs or suggestions

- there is no clear indication that you can progress through certain areas when the map has borders (see south part of first dumpster map, and many more) - you should use different colored tiles that imply a transition to another area.

- likewise, it isnt easy to tell you can jump on rocks without a small transition (like a darkened grass patch)

- the ledge with the red switch, likewise, breaks the consistency of the expected jumping distance. Suddenly, you can jump two tiles farther

- See included screenshots for 1) expected tile jump distance, 2) need for indicators tiles to jump to 3) tiles obstructing view of passages

- you can remove the "player character" in the loading screen, since it usually results in showing deli as a protag and deli as a pokemon/replica

- I didnt get to use the focus system much in wild battles, and it only activated once in a boss segment. It felt like a good addition thematically, but gameplay-wise, it practically made no diffrence. That said, battles are fun and they can get strategic, but that seems to depend on the “stupid” vanilla AI. You may have carefully placed ally moves and abilities for them not to become impossible, but still

- BF3 of swamp can get tedious since you dont have the choice to let go of the pots. especially during the section when you might have picked the pot only to find out that the 3rd of the 2 doors you opened was still blocking you. I understand you can barely see those gates if you stand in one specific tile - but I realized that too late

- backtracking for extra stuff after completion of a level, is a bit tedious, though rewarding

- I understand the “BF” marking convention is a PMDthing, but it doesn’t make sense for woodlands to have underground floors… it’d be better if you had unique names for each area

- better provide a reading module for the gym text etc. because some players might have difficulties getting the big picture from broken words. Likewise Unown leetspeak may cause problems for some

- move relearner somewhere? or from menu?

- tile error

- unsure if the transparent textbox used an intractable wait command for the dumpster overlook scene should show an arrow

- unsure if consistent, but the prompt asking you if you named baltoy correctly, is enveloped in two brackets

- unsure if bug, but stones can be uncovered only if you look towards them from a particular angle. I realize this is part of the riddle, but it might make some players believe there’s nothing there, upon initial reading of the riddle

Attachments

• Another example of no indication.PNG
    Another example of no indication.PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Example of ledge 1.PNG
    Example of ledge 1.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Example of ledge expected jump distance.PNG
    Example of ledge expected jump distance.PNG
    35 KB · Views: 110
  • Example of no indication of tile to jump to, with so many rocks.PNG
    Example of no indication of tile to jump to, with so many rocks.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 107
  • Example of no indication.PNG
    Example of no indication.PNG
    31.4 KB · Views: 103
  • Obscured Path.PNG
    Obscured Path.PNG
    33.4 KB · Views: 97
  • Potential Bug.PNG
    Potential Bug.PNG
    26.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Tile Error.PNG
    Tile Error.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 106
  • Typo - Comma.PNG
    Typo - Comma.PNG
    40.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Typo - Congradulations.PNG
    Typo - Congradulations.PNG
    28.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Cuprite (Kyu)

Novice
HEY SO v0.3 STARTED YOU IN THE DEBUG AREA AND CONTAINED HEAVILY SPOILERY ASSETS THAT WERENT SUPPOSED TO BE IN IT SO IM DELISTING IT FOR NOW WHILE I FIX IT HAHA PLEASE TELL ME NOBODY PLAYED IT LIKE THAT IN THE LAST TWO WEEKS I AM FREAKING TF OUT-

Edit: 17 minutes later ive fixed the issue it shouldnt be a problem anymore. im going to ask the person who had originally made the video that pointed this out to me if they can redo it or something because i dont want that out there. its still called v0.3 despite being a new upload.

Last edited:

Haunted Ditto

Creator of Pokemon Pandora and Pokemon Climate
Hi, I just finished your game!
Here are my thoughts:

• A very interesting story (probably my favorite one so far)
  • The use of the future paradox Pokemon felt were organic (I-Bundle, because Delibird went extinct and I-Hands for hard labour)
  • The two custom "Replica-Pokemon" were really cool
  • The focus-mechanic adds extra depth to the battles
  • I liked the choice to only do 50% of the puzzle to continue or 100% to get a special reward
  • Big fan of Hope's dialogue
  • Shop which only sold helpful items (and cool teleporting MD Kecleon)
  • Perfect difficulty

• There seems to be a few changes on the type effectiveness chart. Those could be elaborated a bit imo. Though idk the expanse of those changes (Poison seems to be very effective against Water now)
  • The "focus" mechanic is a neat addition, but rarely effects the battle. During my playthrough it only happened during the second boss fight. Every other fight ended before the bar was filled.
  • The boss fights are kinda luck based. If the AI picks the perfect moves, there is 0% chance to win. So most of the time I had to restart until the AI did a bad play.

Overall a very good game jam entry!
Question: Does the Gracidea Nectar have a purpose in the demo?

Cuprite (Kyu)

Novice
Hi, I just finished your game!
Here are my thoughts:

• A very interesting story (probably my favorite one so far)
  • The use of the future paradox Pokemon felt were organic (I-Bundle, because Delibird went extinct and I-Hands for hard labour)
  • The two custom "Replica-Pokemon" were really cool
  • The focus-mechanic adds extra depth to the battles
  • I liked the choice to only do 50% of the puzzle to continue or 100% to get a special reward
  • Big fan of Hope's dialogue
  • Shop which only sold helpful items (and cool teleporting MD Kecleon)
  • Perfect difficulty

• There seems to be a few changes on the type effectiveness chart. Those could be elaborated a bit imo. Though idk the expanse of those changes (Poison seems to be very effective against Water now)
  • The "focus" mechanic is a neat addition, but rarely effects the battle. During my playthrough it only happened during the second boss fight. Every other fight ended before the bar was filled.
  • The boss fights are kinda luck based. If the AI picks the perfect moves, there is 0% chance to win. So most of the time I had to restart until the AI did a bad play.

Overall a very good game jam entry!
Question: Does the Gracidea Nectar have a purpose in the demo?
Thank you for playing! I'm glad you enjoyed it. ^-^

To address some of the criticisms:

- There's a ReadMe file that lists all the changes, but there aren't a ton. In terms of types, the only changes are that Water is weak to Poison, and Ice resists Flying & Ground. Outside of that, I just adjusted the stats of the Pokémon that would be in the party so they would be more balanced (And also made Banette Ghost/Normal).

- Yeah, the Focus system ended up being underutilized. I gotta figure out how to make it more prominent in the final version. Not 100% sure how to go about it yet though.

- I plan on giving the player access to revival items in the final version (There'd be one or two Revival Herbs early on and an optional renewable source of Revives later. I might also give the player access to a new Revival Herb after every cleared dungeon? Not 100% certain), so I hope that does something to help. I also gotta adjust that last boss fight since I slapped it together close to last second and had balanced the entire game around fighting everything you come across. So, ye, some more balance tweaks are required. Lol.

Edit: Oh, yeah, and the Gracidea Nectar has no purpose yet. It will later on tho.

Last edited:

bobdog

Novice
Really looking forward to the hermit's story, I was able to understand most of the notes and am kinda invested in the lore.

Edit: Finished the demo,
and there is a way to grind in the forest by abusing the hut(Grind all pp, go to hut, leave hut, full heal). I wouldn't say remove it, because I felt it was a fair time investment(I only went up to 50 and 46 to match the boss). However, I did end up with like 10,000 dollars. Overall, I loved the game and the story, but a run button would be nice, especially bc I must have wiped on the first boss like 4 times. Also I didn't really understand the focus. Maybe have a guide that can pop up at any time?
Probably not the best reviewer, but keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Back