• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Resource icon

Resource Field Effects v1

BIGFriv

Mr. Bigglesworth
BIGFriv submitted a new resource:

Field Effects - Do you want some fields that have effects? Now come get it for 12.99€

Have you ever wanted to have Field Effects in your game?
It's personaly, one of my favorite mechanics of any fangame, so I'll teach you too how to do it too.

What are Field Effects?
If you have played Gen 6 or Gen 7, then you probably know about Terrains (Electric Terrain, Psychic Terrain ...)
Field Effects, are in a way, the exact same thing, but they are present from the very start of the battle, and are map based.
Because of this, it can be used to make fights more interesting...

Read more about this resource...

RegalSword

Pokemon Itinerant Developer
Hello, do you have any documentation that I can read? I don't have much scripting knowledge so I'm not really sure how to get started with this resource. Also, is there any chance that this plugin could come pre-installed with Reborn's field effects?

Galaxia

Trainer
hey, i am getting this error when switching in or starting the battle with an ability that creates terrain on entry:
1.PNG

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
Hm. I really wish there was documentation on this how to set it up. I do say it doesn't feel super user friendly or intuitive. I feel like having a Config file where you define all your special fields with components would work a lot better than having to define each field in each plugin file separately... :/

I was excited to use this, but I feel like there needs to be some tweaks for it to feel.. complete?

BIGFriv

Mr. Bigglesworth
hey, i am getting this error when switching in or starting the battle with an ability that creates terrain on entry:
View attachment 15479
Okay, I seem to have found the issue.
In all the 'Surge' Abilities I wrote
bad code:
Expand Collapse Copy
heldItem = true if user.hasActiveItem?(:TERRAINEXTENDER)
instead of
good code:
Expand Collapse Copy
heldItem = true if battler.hasActiveItem?(:TERRAINEXTENDER)

user is for the terrain moves
battler is for the abilities

My bad, sorry. I've updated the download with the fix.

BIGFriv

Mr. Bigglesworth
Hm. I really wish there was documentation on this how to set it up. I do say it doesn't feel super user friendly or intuitive. I feel like having a Config file where you define all your special fields with components would work a lot better than having to define each field in each plugin file separately... :/

I was excited to use this, but I feel like there needs to be some tweaks for it to feel.. complete?
Ah... Damn...
I actually have no idea how to make it have a simple config file, as it changes so many things in so many different places.
It used to be all in 2 different files before, but that made the file enourmous and a pain to read, so I decided to seperate it into different things.
Abilities, Power Type Boosts, Move Specific Boosts, Move specific changes etc....
000_Field_Effects_Graphics is still mostly the main one, ence why I put it first.

I'm not an amazing scripter, so I am unsure what I could even do to make a single config file.
I added explanations in some of the files explaining what does what, and what they are for. Thought it would be good enough.

wrigty12

Tester-Coder Hybrid
I think keeping the general file structure you have is fine, but instead of checks in each area for a field I'd number, just have a check to see if the field defined in a config contains the feature the code executes.

I was looking at it a bit yesterday, and I could probably come up with an example for you?

Also, since Terrains are included by default in Essentials, you should probably tweak your code a bit to match/not overwrite the core code regarding them

Edit: I do understand why you did it why you did it now, thinking about it more. Going a config route would probably restrict the customization a bit. I'll see if an idea I have would work out and let you know if it's better than what you have.

I think what could help is if you created a document that guides a user how they can create a new field, since you have to go digging to understand it.

Last edited:

Paulypus

Programming without really knowing what I'm doing
Hello. I have installed your plugin, and it works fine for the most part, but seems to cause strange move behaviors such as being able to overwrite status conditions and moves a pokémon is immune to dealing 1 damage to it. Any idea why this might be? Thank you.

scarsofbattle

Rookie
I've been waiting for this for a long time. Thanks for upgrading this to V20, its time to create them custom fields like with Pokemon Reborn and Desolation

Paulypus

I have solved my issue. It seems to have to do with the redefining of the success check code in Field_Effects_Misc

Paulypus

How would I allow the player to view the field notes in-game? I'm not totally sure if they were intended for the player to view or not, but it would likely be a good idea for me to add that feature given that otherwise I would have to make it so there is somewhere where the player has to go to read info on each field, and even then it likely wouldn't work very well. Thank you.

BIGFriv

Mr. Bigglesworth
Hello. I have installed your plugin, and it works fine for the most part, but seems to cause strange move behaviors such as being able to overwrite status conditions and moves a pokémon is immune to dealing 1 damage to it. Any idea why this might be? Thank you.
Hey! I seemed to have found the fix for these two issues! Next patch will have the fix.
How would I allow the player to view the field notes in-game? I'm not totally sure if they were intended for the player to view or not, but it would likely be a good idea for me to add that feature given that otherwise I would have to make it so there is somewhere where the player has to go to read info on each field, and even then it likely wouldn't work very well. Thank you.
I didn't think about a Field Notes in-game. I personally prefer using a Field Manual.txt file.

I think keeping the general file structure you have is fine, but instead of checks in each area for a field I'd number, just have a check to see if the field defined in a config contains the feature the code executes.

I was looking at it a bit yesterday, and I could probably come up with an example for you?

Also, since Terrains are included by default in Essentials, you should probably tweak your code a bit to match/not overwrite the core code regarding them

Edit: I do understand why you did it why you did it now, thinking about it more. Going a config route would probably restrict the customization a bit. I'll see if an idea I have would work out and let you know if it's better than what you have.

I think what could help is if you created a document that guides a user how they can create a new field, since you have to go digging to understand it.
Just remembered another reason why I changed terrains to work a different way.
It is so that the background changes when transforming to them. And to allow terrains to be active by default at the start of battle with that.
As terrains/fields are tied to the battle background.

BIGFriv

Mr. Bigglesworth

Paulypus

Nice! Great resource by the way, was trying to find a way to get a previous version of this system to work in v20 for a while, then this came and solved my problem entirely.

Back