• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Discussion what is something that you wanna see in a fangame that hasn't already been done?

This thread is for discussion and opinions.

powerup

Rookie
hiii, this is my first post on here but lately, I feel like most pokemon fangames have the same concept or use the same formula. i understand that is basically the concept of pokemon but it's okay to spice it up a little bit. so that brings the question of what is something you want to see in a fangame that hasn't already been done?

for me:
  • maybe having your character make decisions that impact the game later on (idk have them face consequences for their actions)
  • random events that really make or break a character (force them to make really tough decisions)
  • fleshed-out parent characters (because let's be real no parent would allow their child out through regions to become a champion)
idk there are a few games that do this but this is something I would like to see more of and more fleshed-out characters where everyone feels important to the story (even if they have the smallest impact.)

Aurora

Trainer
Play as Jessie of Team Rocket. Play as Team Magma.A champion who lives in the mountains. Sim with Pokemon. Squid game with Pokemon. Any story without the classic "gym leader-champion" thing.

vegetto_u16

Rookie
A champion Who recognized by every one and most respected trainer in region story could be what responsibilities champion has after being champion.

hiii, this is my first post on here but lately, I feel like most pokemon fangames have the same concept or use the same formula. i understand that is basically the concept of pokemon but it's okay to spice it up a little bit. so that brings the question of what is something you want to see in a fangame that hasn't already been done?

for me:
  • maybe having your character make decisions that impact the game later on (idk have them face consequences for their actions)
  • random events that really make or break a character (force them to make really tough decisions)
  • fleshed-out parent characters (because let's be real no parent would allow their child out through regions to become a champion)
idk there are a few games that do this but this is something I would like to see more of and more fleshed-out characters where everyone feels important to the story (even if they have the smallest impact.)

You should check out a lot of the game jam entries here. There's plenty of fangames that break and don't follow the typical game formula, as well as some incredibly well-crafted stories!

mindbender12

Novice
The thing with storytelling is that after about 20 or so years of a genre existing, everything has been done once. Name any type of story or genre, and there’s probably a Pokémon game that does it or covers it. It’s not about being unique, it’s about how you use the story that matters. You’re unlikely to make a genre starter like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings or Star Wars, but you might be able to create a really game in vain of an already established idea.

Xoracion

Rookie
1. Scarlet and Violet Paradox Variants

2. More anime fan games from newer anime and manga

3. Online trading in private servers

4. Pokémon that have Nice and Evil transformation

Last edited:

Swordkun

Trainer
A gimmick where you can powerlink pokemon, so turn a Registeel into an iron hammer for another pokemon to hold

safr

Elite Trainer
For me i hope more fangame using brackets style in the gym challenge and league, keep on fighting without rest and no healing until gym leader and and keep on fighting until face champion Wil make more good league system and more challenging, it also make more immersive

Faislittlewhiteraven

Novice
Most of my ideas are firmly in the 'I have no idea how tough or easy this would be to program but damn it'd be cool if-' category so. Hope they're interesting? XD

The player character/trainer having something like a limit break gauge to do stuff in battles to support their pokemon. Something like 'you start with 3 points out of a gauge of 10 or something, you get a point for each mon (yours or the opponents) that is KOed and you have a list of things you can use those points on' like: Without using up your pokemon's turn you can set up a field effect or weather, raise a stat, heal a bit, inflict a status aliment on the opponent, etc with bigger/more powerful the effect the more points it takes (might also be cool to sync up Mega evolving, terastalization, and Z moves with that system maybe but keeping those limited to 'one use per battle each' is still pretty valid)
Mostly thinking this would be a great way to make the human character feel like they're actually actively helping their pokemon as opposed to just being there barring item use and could be a really distinctive way to make strong opposing trainers feel unique in a game, akin Reborn's field system but less location based and more 'an active thing the trainers be doing' so like, lorewise it's like that cowboy character used their gauge to shoot a gun to deal chip damage against mons relying on study or shoots a tranq to inflict status, whereas a psychic sets up psychic terrain or use telekinesis on a mon, and a doctor might heal or buff their mons, etc).

The ability to make any single mon 'evolve' (for lack of a better term) into the player's signature mon that grows in power over the course of the game. IDK how to word this idea properly honestly but was thinking that mechanics wise it'd be something like 'the signature pokemon of choice evolves into a set aside template that gets stronger as the story goes on with use of this one item, and this template takes the sprite of the original mon'.
Not sure how to handle the typing or the move pool, probably would be easiest if the 'signature mon' just had a damn enormous movepool and became a custom 'neutral to everything' typing (aka the only thing that it'd actually get from the original mon would be the name, personality, evs, ivs and the sprite') and its probably a hell of a lot of work for just allowing a player to make their Bellsprout able to murder even god mons without forcing the use of specific items or strategies but IDK I just thought something like that would be really neat for vibes~ XD

A very niche one since I doubt anyone cares about this but me but: A 'personality and quirks' page on the Pokemon summary that's not linked to stats or how good/bad the Pokemon is. Natures and the stat 'descriptors' are alright-ish for characterising a mon but... I just really want to be able to have a gentle Fearow or a mon that likes spicy stuff and/or sleeping a lot, without it forcing me to worry about whether or not it'll be a subpar example of it's species, you know? (*also changes the 'natures' into 'attack styles' instead for the same thing).

Speed or Attack equivalent of Evolvite, purely for the fun/chaos value of them potentially existing.
(And adjusting all the 'evovite' items to adjust for unevolving mons with very low stat totals would also be pretty cool but probably a bit more difficult than the above to do).

A special move tutor that can teach any mon a specific signature move based off IDK some kind of hidden individual value every mon has (not sure if actual IVs would suffice or if it'd be easier to just make every mon roll a number between 1 and however many moves are in the game) but yeah. Something like 'oh wow my Glameow's special fancy signature move is Land's Wrath but ugh my torkoal only gets splash' or something).
Not important but just a bit of fun to make every mon a little bit more unique~
(Actually if the 'insert new value roulette' thing works you could have more than one of these tutors to add even more rolls of the dice. Just a thought though XD)

A fakemon that evolves based off of being shiny. (And if you wanna still have two different kinds of sprites for it, just add an item that allows a mon to switch between appearing shiny or not -just, non shinys with the paint don't have the star).

Have a fishing like mechanic for land, like 'digging' in rocky areas or 'trapping' in forests/tall grass for more mon location variety. ...'Scrying' for ghosts or psychic types could also be fun~ XD

A space/scifi themed evil team that uses mons like the Clefairy line, the Elgyem line, Deoxys, ultra beasts, future paradox pokemon and the like. C'mon please..! It'd be tough and incredibly awesome, and you could spice it up with 'kidnapped Miltank' or something periodically~ XD

Hidden away pokemon villages/mini towns (tucked away kinda like Hidden Grottos in gen 5) where the player can find little communities of pokemon that don't battle or fight you (aside maybe a few optional ones) but might communicate with you a bit, give you items or quests, run little shops where berries are currency, etc. I just want me some 'PMD games could totally exist alongside a world with humans' vibes ok? XD

Places like a bussiness or town where ingame money can be invested to upgrade them; it's an RPG classic but I don't think I've seen it done in many Pokemon game so yeah. More of that please.

A place which does berry farming for me. I like caring for berries too but I'm awful at it, and. You could also combine this or the above with something like Sword and Shield's Pokemon jobs system or what Sun and Moon did with Poke Pelago, for helping the player feel like their PC mons aren't just rotting away in the PC forever or something.

And that's all for now. Hope some of these were interesting, even if probably a bit too much work to think of bothering with XD

-FL-

Pokémon Island Creator
A game with a lot of time travel (like Chrono Trigger) would be awesome, especially with paradox pokémon, fossils and maybe places like Hisui (I'm hoping that SV DLCs do something like this).

I like games with more different ideas, like being bad guy. I think that Colosseum main concept is awesome (but poorly executed).

Have a fishing like mechanic for land, like 'digging' in rocky areas or 'trapping' in forests/tall grass for more mon location variety. ...'Scrying' for ghosts or psychic types could also be fun~ XD
Sounds like Headbutt and Rock Smash.

Places like a bussiness or town where ingame money can be invested to upgrade them; it's an RPG classic but I don't think I've seen it done in many Pokemon game so yeah. More of that please.
This is one of Island main features.

A place which does berry farming for me.
Island also had this.

Faislittlewhiteraven

Novice
Sounds like Headbutt and Rock Smash.
Sorta. Was thinking that they'd be added in conjunction with Headbutt and Rock Smash like, in the form of key items like shovels for digging on any 'dirt enough' location (you could even place secret areas for people if they dig in the right spots), 'traps' for when you're in the grass itself to catch more illusive mons (thinking small fairy types or highly timid mons), and a 'scrying stone'/'hag stone'/'magitama' for finding ghost or illusion mons in... I'm not sure for this one. Sus looking locations or places with certain 'signs' nearby?
Basically I was trying to say something like "Hey, you've got Fishing, Headbutt and Rock Smash right? Why not add even more variants similar to those based on other ways a person might encounter different types of Pokemon for more variety in different kinds of locations?" but looks like I worded it poorly.
This is one of Island main features.

Island also had this.
Ooh! Haven't heard of or played that game of yours before now but on the 'to play' list it goes. Thank you! <3

---
Hmm. I know there's a ton of fangames where you get to be a team Rocket member but a game where you get to be a bad guy of a very different kind of cause I'm not so sure of, minus alternate endings in games where you kind of have to go out of your way for them.
A game where the player is the start up leader of a new evil group trying to get off the ground could be interesting, especially if there's options to shape what kind of evil your group is as you go (so at first half of the people you recruit think it's just team Rocket-esc for profit stuff and then bamn turns out you were actually going for rewriting reality Cyrus style or something and now you have to deal with potential deserters/new enemies who might not have cared about you before XD).

Seen quite a few fangames with time travel but can't think of any off the top of my head that do the full Chrono Trigger thing of letting you sequence break, open two chests (first in the present, then the past) twice, and get alternate endings based off of what you did/didn't mess with, but that'd be pretty cool I agree~

BeanKing

Rookie
One thing I'd love to see is the commemorative photo mechanic from HGSS, instead of it being tied to certain npc's or gym leader photos linked to certain conditions I'd like to see where the player has a pokecam and can in each area there are events which the player can take a photo in that location, certain parts in the story may take a snapshot with characters etc.

Expand it by have custom backgrounds in a folder for each of the regions, and instead of just the overworld sprites being used you could use the trainer sprites and the front pokemon sprites.

I always thought it was a neat little mechanic that added a lot of immersion.

BiggusWeeabus

"What's so funny about Biggus Dickus?"
Tbh, i'd like to see an Action RPG fangame where the player fights together with the Pokémon. Even if that would probably require making a Battle System from scratch lol

Paulypus

Programming without really knowing what I'm doing
2 Things:

1. An evil team (or at least a leader of one) who actually does what would make sense for a likely wanted criminal/group of them: cheat in battle. It doesn't quite make sense that these people who are entirely ignoring whatever laws exist (and in several cases, common sense) would still fight perfectly fair.

2. Gym leaders without any sort of specific type focus, instead focusing on something else such as a strategy or theming.

thebigguy270

Trainer
Continuing the story of past games, or closing some plot threads from past games. XD had a sequel tease that never amounted to anything through Ardos' threat to the player, Lusamine's recovery is not shown in SM... I dunno, maybe getting attached to the human cast was a mistake.

Back