• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Recruiting Pokémon Tales of the Islands - Now Recruiting!

This thread's author is looking for long-term team members.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Midarlarsupl

CEO at Artistic Depression
Logo7.png

“The past is what you remember, imagine you remember, convince yourself you remember, or pretend you remember.”
-Harold Pinter (1930-2008)

"Pokémon: Tales of the Islands" is a project being made on RPG Maker using Pokémon Essentials 20.1 as its base.

This passion project is a fruit of almost 8 years of experience in the creation of fangames in the Nintendo fan community, and I hope you enjoy playing it as I enjoy making it.

Plot:
Imagine being a prodigious 11 year-old kid in the wonderful world of Pokémon, being one of the best trainers that you're home town has ever brought, almost getting all of the badges of your home region, your future is bright, maybe becoming a champion is in on your way...
You're now 26, and working as a office guy in the Devon Co. is your daily basis, everything is mundane and somewhat obnoxious. Secretly giving a cookie to a freshly revived Lileep is the most exciting thing that happened to you in a month.

Luckily for you, you're getting promoted! And your new task has nothing to do with paperwork, so it feels good. Being a Field Researcher is now you're new job, and on none other than the marvelous archipelago of Sevii Islands!, freshly pushing their way to becoming an official region on their own. Your task is simple, obtaining interesting and useful stuff to make new types of Poke Balls, since Silph Co. has dominated that market since decades ago.
Its your job to "balance the scales", or at least that was the pamphlet said so. But maybe this new adventure will help you connect on what you most loved doing in your childhood, being a Pokémon Trainer.

You're not alone in this quest, from childhood friends, angsty supervisors to mentally-disturbed and cosplay-loving guys trying to create a new version of Team Rocket, you will face tough challenges and hard battles as you come through in this journey around the well known archipelago.

2 (1).png

(This is you)

Region:
Basically, Sevii Islands but in steroids.

One Island.png

Two Island.png

And since the archipelago is expanding, we have brand new islands!
Maya Town.png

Pokémon:
I hope you like Beta Pokémon as much as I am, since EVERY Fakemon you're seeing in this project is a Betamon!
betamon.png

(Slightly upgrades in their designs to be fitting of modern Pokémon design standards.)
And that's not all, since more than a half of the Betamon are just beta designs from existing Pokémon, I gave them the characteristic of being a Regional Variant in this region, with all the quirks that gives being a RV.

regional betamon.png

(Creative liberties were taken to give them the proper flare of a RV.)
From a Grass/Fairy Type Hoppip to a Ghost Type Espeon, all of them are based on either past designs or discarded features, like Umbreon being a Poison Type or Espeon having a yellow color pallet in the SpaceWorld'97 beta.

Features:
  • Around 183 brand new Fakemon based around Betamon found on RBY and GSC's betas.
  • No Gym Leaders, your progress is based around how many types of Poke Ball have you prototyped.​
  • Brand new Poke Balls, obviously.​
  • Semi-linear history, with branching sidestories and optional islands to explore.​
  • Reimagined Move Tutor System, you found colored pieces in brand new boulders scattered around all the region, and the Move Tutors are based around them.​
  • Limited Pokémon Party, you need to upgrade manually your "Pokémon Trainer License" so you're allowed to carry more than 3 Pokémon in your party.
Due to the scale of the project, I leave a list of vacancies for which they can apply:

2/2 Map/Level Designer: Me, Crank#5235
3/3 Character Designer: tenebris exilium#0959, Solo_Grace#9658, kallisto#1717
0/2 Fakemon Designer:
1/2 Writer:
TwentyExEx#0258
1/2 Graphic Designer or Illustrator related to images or logos: Minari#0485
1/2 Spriter with experience in creating Trainers, Pokémon or graphics related to the Battle GUI: ali760 (Zavkia Region)#7871
1/2 Spriter with experience in creating Tilesets and OWs: AnonAlpaca#0765
0/1 Scripter with any experience in Ruby 2.5:

1/2 Musician: PokemonRater#7851

Discord Server!

The way to contact me is through this website's private messages, telling me what function you want to apply for and an example of past work, or with my Discord, my username is Midarlarsupl#4715.

Without further ado, I wish you a good afternoon, day or night to anyone who has taken the trouble to read this entire text.

Last edited:

Midarlarsupl

11/20/2022 "Before Holidays" Update

Hi!
I have been through a rough final period of my college's semester, but this project is everything but cancelled, so I have brand new news for you!

First of all, we have a brand new character designer, her Discord's username is Solo_Grace#9658! She is gonna be designing secondary characters and helping with feedback for the principal ones.

Second, we have a brand new design for our grass starter based around the scrapped mid-line evolution of Chikorita found in the Spaceworld '97, courtesy of Artsy Ecko#7841, so cute!
1668928983813.png

"Scientists found that this species was on the verge on extinction before it began to develop a symbiotic relationship with a strange flower."
Expect a sprite of this chunky boi sooner than later.

Third, remember the "angsty supervisors" part from the Plot description? Well, now she has a face! Credits to tenebris exilium#0959 for the design.
Midar_-_Antagonist_2.png

"I hate Pokémon Battles" reads her coffee mug. Her Ace is the electric tiger Kotora!

Four and last, I looked to ALL the information of Beta Pokémon available online to see how many scrapped designs can be rescued, and considering that some of them are just simpler or uglier versions of official Pokémon, the final count of new Pokémon in this project is a total of...

183!

112 New Pokémon and 81 Seviinian forms, respectively.

With this newly founded scope of this project being much more bigger, we need more people to help in this project, so I open new vacancies in the following tasks:
-Fakemon designers, mostly to do touch-ups on beta designs or create new Fakemon to fill the gaps between lines that could need an Evo or Pre-Evo.
-Writers fluently in English, to help with Pokédex Entries or the general writing of this project, because English is not my first language.

And, specially, we need urgently a Spriter to help with the designing of sprites for new Pokémon.

Sorry for letting this thread basically collecting dust, I can confirm you that this project is more alive than ever, so expect more news in early December!

See ya!

Last edited:

Midarlarsupl

12/13/2022 "Iron Bundle's adoration season" Update

Hi! Finally on holiday season, let's take a look on what's new in this project.

1-. Who's that Pokémon?

A Pokémon game is not a Pokémon game without battles (don't @ me), so lets take a look at this GIFs!

Game_rXuVRCDHkh.gif

As promised, here's a look to the new sprite for Happa, the Grass-type starter of this project.
Big props to Voltseon's Emerald UI resource!

Game_bTZYmrvXYN.gif

"Moibelle captivates the attention of its opponents, before putting them in a trance with the help of its bell."
Big thanks to Idilio's Rinrin/Bellrun public sprites!

Part 2-. Red, Blue, Green and Yellow?

Strange boulder-like formations are beginning to appear all around the Sevii Islands... Why are dropping of them the mysterious colored shards, invaluable items around other regions?

Game_LYjheHIbwS.gif
Game_mBurUQyj9o.gif

What or who are creating them? And most importantly, how are affecting the humans and Pokémon in the archipelago?

3.- "Hahaha... I doubt a child like you'll get that far."

Team Rocket, the mafia that once terrorized Kanto and Johto, disbanded more than a decade ago. But have been rumors circulating among young trainers, that the criminal organization is filling up their ranks in secret. Is this true? Well, only the time (or you) will tell.

But there is a person that certainly haven't forget their time with Giovanni.

silhouette_2.png

4. Insert chilly or ice-related pun about music

You like Gen 3 demakes of your favorite modern Pokemon tracks? Well, this project has you covered, since almost every new zone in this project has a Gen 3-9 demake of a fitting track. You don't believe me? Well, check this track made by PokemonRater for Wintermint Town.

Before finishing this update, let me welcome ali760 (Zavkia Region)#7871 and Crank#5235 as our new Sprite Artist and Mapper, respectively, helping to bring life to this project. We are still needing Sprite Artists and Writers, so vacancies in that department are more than open.

Happy holidays, see ya!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back