• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Finding the right tileset is driving me insane.

BlueEye_Mage95

Rookie
Hello there. I'm creating my first Pokémon fan game. I'm really struggling on finding the right tile set. Gen 3 appears to have the most complete and ready to use sets. But I really really like the Gen 4 style, but I can only find basic indoor/outdoor sets that don't look fully complete. I also really like the Gen 4 style overworld sprites for trainers as well. Would it be too jarring to mix and match styles? Say Gen 4 grass/trees/water mixed with Gen 3 and 4 houses? With Gen 4 overworld sprites?

I've come across akizakura16's indoor/outdoor Gen 4 sets, but they don't appear complete. I've come across SirMalo's sets, but they need to be manually edit. Which I guess I can combine with akizakur16's sets, but that's going to test my patience, but I understand if that's what I've got to do.

I've all ready come up with a very rough outline for my entire game and I really want to get started, but finding the right tile set is driving me insane. I don't really have the skills for pixel art, so I wasn't planning on making my own, outside of recoloring preexisting tilesets
  • I have ideas for "gyms" planned out.
  • My villain team and their motivations planned out.
  • A Pokedex that is 300+ so far (aiming for around 400 or so)
  • A number of quests and objectives

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
Hello there. I'm creating my first Pokémon fan game. I'm really struggling on finding the right tile set. Gen 3 appears to have the most complete and ready to use sets. But I really really like the Gen 4 style, but I can only find basic indoor/outdoor sets that don't look fully complete. I also really like the Gen 4 style overworld sprites for trainers as well. Would it be too jarring to mix and match styles? Say Gen 4 grass/trees/water mixed with Gen 3 and 4 houses? With Gen 4 overworld sprites?

I've come across akizakura16's indoor/outdoor Gen 4 sets, but they don't appear complete. I've come across SirMalo's sets, but they need to be manually edit. Which I guess I can combine with akizakur16's sets, but that's going to test my patience, but I understand if that's what I've got to do.

I've all ready come up with a very rough outline for my entire game and I really want to get started, but finding the right tile set is driving me insane. I don't really have the skills for pixel art, so I wasn't planning on making my own, outside of recoloring preexisting tilesets
  • I have ideas for "gyms" planned out.
  • My villain team and their motivations planned out.
  • A Pokedex that is 300+ so far (aiming for around 400 or so)
  • A number of quests and objectives
As it pertains to Sir Malo's rips, feel free to take Sir Malo's buildings and rock ledges (plain grass ground tiles aren't from sir malo's but most of the pavements are) from The First Journey, the tilesets are called "outside" and "JohtoCompactExterior". In some cases, they aren't a 1:1 from Sir Malo's, as I wanted to make them a bit smaller, but it should take off quite the chunk of your workload. (this applies to anyone else who might need them). The only things you'd need to adjust yourself would be his ground tiles. You don't need to credit me, just Sir Malo.

Triall

Rookie
Hi! I'm compiling tilesets from HGSS for my own game. If you'd like, I can share them. I have compiled them from the ones ripped by Sir Malo.
However, I shall warn that they have some parts missing (originally from Sir Malo's rips) and you may get struck in the between while making maps.
Also it doesn't contain doors, so it'll be back-breaking to find them as well.
Arigatō!

kamikoto

Rookie
Having the same problem. I created a nice starter town and decent route 1 with Ekat's gen 3 tileset but I really want to use gen 4 sprites. Also, having recently playing Insurgence that gen style was always my idea. I tried downloading what tilesets I could find but it was such a pain. With ekat's gen 3 tilesets I was able to copy the terrain tags from another game (shattered light that thundaga showed) but I can't seem to do that with gen 4 style game that I found. Then, there's the fact that I can't really find a proper tileset and it's such a pain to manually make my own with Gimp.

kamikoto

Rookie
What I also don't get is how there are no ready to use gen 4 tile sets when so many fan games use it. I guess none of them wanted to make it public which is fair but I still can't believe it.

Back