• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Paranormal

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
ParaTitle.png

Pokémon Paranormal
Pokémon Paranormal is a First-Person Horror Game!
THIS GAME CONTAINS JUMPSCARES.
Play as Pikachu, Kirlia, or Pancham to solve mysteries while being chased by ghosts!
PlayerIcon1.png
PlayerIcon2.png
PlayerIcon3.png

For the best results, play at night with the lights turned off!
Para3.png
Para4.png

Para2.png
Para5.png

Para7.png
Para6.png

The Team:
Thundaga

Controls:
Move: WASD
Toggle flashlight: F
Use ability: Q
Sprint: Shift
Interact: E or Left Click
Pause: ESC
I went out of my comfort zone for this one! Working in Unity is something I've done occasionally in the past, but it was really refreshing learning to work in another game engine and do some more programming and stuff! It was all very freeing to work with Unity, as there were a lot less limitations to the crazy ideas I had! I'm very excited to continue working in Unity for future projects potentially!

This game is quite short, because I didn't want to force myself to grind too hard and overscope! I spent some nights with the family, and some night chilling and playing other games (Neon White, Multiversus) so there was a decent work/life balance! Plus I do work a fulltime job as a game designer, so the burnout can be extremely real with these jams haha.

There are 4 missions + 1 secret mission, which is unlocked by beating the other levels in 1 HP Mode!

This is a pretty fun game to speedrun too! Try to beat my times, I'm always down to race lol!
Made by Thundaga (Cameron R)

Music:
YIIK - A Postmodern RPG
Pokemon HGSS, FRLG, BW, ORAS, and Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee

Graphics:
The Modelers Resource (Pokemon 3D Models from Sun/Moon and X/Y)
The Spriters Resource (Pokemon PSMD icons)
Detective Office - Kyle Shepard (https://www.artstation.com/kyleshepherd)
Made for the Relic Castle Game Jam #8 using Unity

ParanormalLogoPNG.png

Transparent logo png here if you ever decide to play the game and make a youtube video or something!
Trailer Video:

Last edited:
I usually struggle with exactly this sort of game (first-person and light management - just a tricky combo for me to navigate), but I had a lot of fun with this! (Definitely still got spooked, though!)
1661328848103.png

I don't think I have the skills(/patience) to manage a 1HP run and get the bonus round. 😅 I might give it a shot later, though!
The atmosphere in the game is excellent! The flickering street lights were a great tone setter, haha, it started off really strong and kept the creepy energy the whole time! I think Haunter and Gengar were my favorite of the ghosts, the shadows always made them scary, even if you kept your flashlight on an approaching one!

I loved the dynamic of the detectives, and the idea of a team of Pokemon teaming up to solve mysteries! It feels kind of reminiscent of Mystery Dungeon and Detective Pikachu, in a great way!

I love the different skills of the detectives! They all work in the Pokemon's abilities perfectly, and they give the player a great variety of playstyles to choose from!
This might just be a limit of the engine, but it felt a little odd having the mouse restricted to the window and having to Alt+Tab to switch to another window instead of just clicking out.

I might have just missed it, but I don't think it's explicitly said this game autosaves? I was a little worried about losing my progress until I figured that out, haha.

I think the guide should be made part of the main menu of the Agency (along with Map/Records/Options), rather than being tucked away under Records. It's not quite the first place I'd look to find tutorials, and there was definitely some things from the guide I wish I knew sooner, like using the flashlight to slow ghosts and their behavior changing over time.
(Honestly, for that matter, Records doesn't seem like quite the right place for Credits, Concept Art, and Rewatching Scenes, it kind of feels like they should all be grouped in a "Bonuses" menu or something. That's not as much of an issue, though, since you're explicitly told to check out the Records page after completing the main game)

Speaking of the guide - there's this part that says "Items" with nothing underneath it - I don't know if it was supposed to be scrollable or if it's just a scrapped section.
1661329738225.png

I don't think the guide explains how the stars are calculated? I'm guessing it's just time, but I thought other factors like damage taken or amount of batteries taken might also be a factor.

The red around the camera when you take too much damage can block the view of shorter obstacles like the fenceposts. (That one might be intentional, just figured I'd mention just in case)

The controls felt a little awkward - they're kind of in this little cluster of letter keys together, which makes it hard to do multiple actions at once sometimes. Personally, I would change it to this -
  • Remove the Interact function entirely - the doors open on their own once the player collects the keys, and they can just get close enough to items to collect them. (I'm pretty sure I never actually used it in my playthrough)
    • Alternatively, make the Enter key the interact key, so you're using more of the bigger keys on the keyboard for the controls.
  • In its place, make left click trigger the Pokemon's ability instead. Pikachu and Pancham's abilities have to be aimed with the camera anyways, this combines the whole action to one hand.
  • Make the space trigger the dash instead of the shift key. Holding shift while you're using WASD to move around is doable, but kind of makes you bend your fingers in a weird position. (at least if you do it the way I did, pinky on shift and middle on W while I used the mouse to turn) I think it's a lot easier to hold the space bar with your thumb with your hand in the same position.
  • In its place, make the shift key toggle the flashlight. It's still close to the WASD keys, but it uses a bigger key instead. (The pinky issue isn't as big a deal when you just tap it instead of holding it)
    • Alternatively, make right clicking toggle the flashlight, since it's also camera-based.
I think this might also help people who want to use their left hand to control the mouse - as it is now, if you're using your right hand on the arrow keys, you kind of have to move it across the keyboard for the flashlight/action keys.

This may just be salt, but I feel like the spot behind the baby gates should be a sort of safe space for the player - kind of sucks to grab the last thing you need and then get cornered by the level's ghost, haha.

I feel like fading out the portrait sprites made it a little tricky to notice changes in their expression. The conversations between the detectives tend to involve a lot of visual reactions from whoever's not speaking, which is a great touch, but it's easy to skip over when the visual focus is centered on just the one. (I almost missed Pikachu and Kirlia's reactions to "Maybe we should let Igglybuff get captured again!", which would have been a tragedy) I'm not quite sure what I'd suggest instead, though, I don't think keeping them fully opaque would necessarily be better. Maybe just slightly increasing the opacity from what it is now...?

I wish it was a little more clear that the Thundaga clicks would open a new tab - I went right to spamming it for that speed boost and got 30 tabs at once. 😅

I can't really read any of the text on the initial notes in Concept Art - it might be good to offer an option to scroll through the gallery with the image zoomed in.

I think Pokémon is spelled without the é everywhere it appears.

Ghost would sometimes alternate between being capitalized or not - I assume because sometimes it was referring to the type, and sometimes just to the concept of a ghost in general - but there were some times I thought it was capitalized when it shouldn't be when it was, or vice versa.
  • 2 Ghosts... 3 babies...
  • a strong Dark Pokemon is controlling these Ghosts
  • Those ghost Pokemon are on a bit of a rampage

• So, what do you think guys? - So, what do you think, guys?
  • Heck yeah man! - Heck yeah, man!
  • Oh boy! - Oh, boy!
  • Oh man - Oh, man
  • Oh thank you so much! - Oh, thank you so much!
  • Supposedly there have been Haunter sightings - Supposedly, there have been
  • Goodbye Pika Detective Agency! - Goodbye, Pika Detective Agency!
  • all in a days work - all in a day's work
  • Oh my baby! - Oh, my baby!
  • Come on Cleffa - Come on, Cleffa!
  • You're very welcome though - You're very welcome, though
  • Great work gang! - Great work, gang
  • I hear you loud and clear guys! - I hear you loud and clear, guys!
  • I'm mostly in it to help people though! - I'm mostly in it to help people, though!
  • Don't worry about any payment for now either. - Don't worry about any payment for now, either
  • but thank you Gogoat! - but thank you, Gogoat!
  • Alright gang - Alright, gang
  • Thank you so much for rescuing me Pika Detective Agency! - rescuing me, Pika Detective Agency!
  • You're welcome Skiddo! - You're welcome, Skiddo!
  • are blowing my mind Kirlia! - are blowing my mind, Kirlia!
  • Oh thank goodness you're safe Skiddo! - Oh, thank goodness you're safe, Skiddo!
  • Come on Skiddo - Come on, Skiddo
  • Thanks you two! - Thanks, you two!
  • Thank you again Pika Detective Agency! - Thank you again, Pika Detective Agency!
  • Let's head out Skiddo! - Let's head out, Skiddo!
  • Bye friends! - Bye, friends!
  • Bye Skiddo and Gogoat! - Bye, Skiddo and Gogoat!
  • Good job team! - Good job, team!
  • What do you wanna talk about Kirlia? - What do you wanna talk about, Kirlia?
  • happen any time soon I fear - any time soon, I fear
  • Thank you Kirlia. - Thank you, Kirlia
  • Dang though - Dang, though
  • anything you can sense right now Kirlia - anything you can sense right now, Kirlia
  • Oh thank you! - Oh, thank you!
  • You should really be careful around there though - You really should be careful around there, though
  • Goodbye Pika Detective Agency! -
  • Alright guys, - Alright, guys
  • That's the spirit Pancham! - That's the spirit, Pancham!
  • Alright gang, - Alright, gang
  • Great work again gang! - Great work again, gang!
  • We are a detective agency after all! - We are a detective agency, after all!
  • a family of Wigglytuffand - it looked like a space was missing between "Wigglytuff" and "and", but that might have just been the font making it look like that
  • Thats a good plan! - That's a good plan!
  • avoiding Ghost pokemon at this - Pokémon should be capitalized
  • Did they now? Well that's fantastic! I'm so glad you're safe honey! - Did they, now? Well, that's fantastic! I'm so glad you're safe, honey!
  • Thank you again for everything Pika Detective Agency! -
  • Thank you friends! - Thank you, friends!
  • Have a good one you two! - Have a good one, you two!
  • Kidding of course! - Kidding, of course!
  • How about you Pancham? - How about you, Pancham?
  • This is really good progress though! - This is really good progress, though!

(The main issue I saw coming up - and the main grammar issue I see in a lot of fan games, honestly - is skipping a comma when a sentence is directed at someone. It doesn't usually cause any confusion because you have the context implying it, but if you look at just the sentence on its own, you can see how it helps to have it there to make it clear. I'm gonna try to do some goofy examples (like Eats Shoots and Leaves) to explain a little better -
  • "Let's head out Skiddo!" - Telling Skiddo to leave, or telling someone to leave through Skiddo?
  • "Great work gang!" - Telling the gang "great work", or just shouting the name of the great work gang, the group known for their quality efforts?
  • "That's the spirit Pancham!" - Encouraging Pancham, or identifying which Pancham is a ghost?
  • "Thank you so much for rescuing me Pika Detective Agency!" -Thanking the detectives, or a pirate thanking someone for rescuing his detective agency?

Just finished streaming the game!
Some thoughts:
I had a lot of fun and a lot of struggle. The first time I tried to clear the cave mission was hell for me, I just got pounded and pounded! But eventually I did it, and when I came back again to do it on 1 HP it didn't take me too long, which is a sign that I actually got better which is pretty cool.

I ended up 100%ing it and doing the secret mission on 1hp too, it was really fun, and damn that "ghost" in the secret mission is SUPER fast.
I really don't have anything bad to say about this game, I found it very reminiscent of the early Slenderman games which felt quite nostalgic for me :)
You really stepped out of your comfort zone and made something super unique, and it was 100% worth it! I'm looking forward to whatever is next :P

Here are my records, nothing fast but to be honest I'm just proud that I managed to clear it.
h0AotLf.png

I usually struggle with exactly this sort of game (first-person and light management - just a tricky combo for me to navigate), but I had a lot of fun with this! (Definitely still got spooked, though!)
View attachment 12105

I don't think I have the skills(/patience) to manage a 1HP run and get the bonus round. 😅 I might give it a shot later, though!
The atmosphere in the game is excellent! The flickering street lights were a great tone setter, haha, it started off really strong and kept the creepy energy the whole time! I think Haunter and Gengar were my favorite of the ghosts, the shadows always made them scary, even if you kept your flashlight on an approaching one!

I loved the dynamic of the detectives, and the idea of a team of Pokemon teaming up to solve mysteries! It feels kind of reminiscent of Mystery Dungeon and Detective Pikachu, in a great way!

I love the different skills of the detectives! They all work in the Pokemon's abilities perfectly, and they give the player a great variety of playstyles to choose from!
This might just be a limit of the engine, but it felt a little odd having the mouse restricted to the window and having to Alt+Tab to switch to another window instead of just clicking out.

I might have just missed it, but I don't think it's explicitly said this game autosaves? I was a little worried about losing my progress until I figured that out, haha.

I think the guide should be made part of the main menu of the Agency (along with Map/Records/Options), rather than being tucked away under Records. It's not quite the first place I'd look to find tutorials, and there was definitely some things from the guide I wish I knew sooner, like using the flashlight to slow ghosts and their behavior changing over time.
(Honestly, for that matter, Records doesn't seem like quite the right place for Credits, Concept Art, and Rewatching Scenes, it kind of feels like they should all be grouped in a "Bonuses" menu or something. That's not as much of an issue, though, since you're explicitly told to check out the Records page after completing the main game)

Speaking of the guide - there's this part that says "Items" with nothing underneath it - I don't know if it was supposed to be scrollable or if it's just a scrapped section.
View attachment 12106

I don't think the guide explains how the stars are calculated? I'm guessing it's just time, but I thought other factors like damage taken or amount of batteries taken might also be a factor.

The red around the camera when you take too much damage can block the view of shorter obstacles like the fenceposts. (That one might be intentional, just figured I'd mention just in case)

The controls felt a little awkward - they're kind of in this little cluster of letter keys together, which makes it hard to do multiple actions at once sometimes. Personally, I would change it to this -
  • Remove the Interact function entirely - the doors open on their own once the player collects the keys, and they can just get close enough to items to collect them. (I'm pretty sure I never actually used it in my playthrough)
    • Alternatively, make the Enter key the interact key, so you're using more of the bigger keys on the keyboard for the controls.
  • In its place, make left click trigger the Pokemon's ability instead. Pikachu and Pancham's abilities have to be aimed with the camera anyways, this combines the whole action to one hand.
  • Make the space trigger the dash instead of the shift key. Holding shift while you're using WASD to move around is doable, but kind of makes you bend your fingers in a weird position. (at least if you do it the way I did, pinky on shift and middle on W while I used the mouse to turn) I think it's a lot easier to hold the space bar with your thumb with your hand in the same position.
  • In its place, make the shift key toggle the flashlight. It's still close to the WASD keys, but it uses a bigger key instead. (The pinky issue isn't as big a deal when you just tap it instead of holding it)
    • Alternatively, make right clicking toggle the flashlight, since it's also camera-based.
I think this might also help people who want to use their left hand to control the mouse - as it is now, if you're using your right hand on the arrow keys, you kind of have to move it across the keyboard for the flashlight/action keys.

This may just be salt, but I feel like the spot behind the baby gates should be a sort of safe space for the player - kind of sucks to grab the last thing you need and then get cornered by the level's ghost, haha.

I feel like fading out the portrait sprites made it a little tricky to notice changes in their expression. The conversations between the detectives tend to involve a lot of visual reactions from whoever's not speaking, which is a great touch, but it's easy to skip over when the visual focus is centered on just the one. (I almost missed Pikachu and Kirlia's reactions to "Maybe we should let Igglybuff get captured again!", which would have been a tragedy) I'm not quite sure what I'd suggest instead, though, I don't think keeping them fully opaque would necessarily be better. Maybe just slightly increasing the opacity from what it is now...?

I wish it was a little more clear that the Thundaga clicks would open a new tab - I went right to spamming it for that speed boost and got 30 tabs at once. 😅

I can't really read any of the text on the initial notes in Concept Art - it might be good to offer an option to scroll through the gallery with the image zoomed in.

I think Pokémon is spelled without the é everywhere it appears.

Ghost would sometimes alternate between being capitalized or not - I assume because sometimes it was referring to the type, and sometimes just to the concept of a ghost in general - but there were some times I thought it was capitalized when it shouldn't be when it was, or vice versa.
  • 2 Ghosts... 3 babies...
  • a strong Dark Pokemon is controlling these Ghosts
  • Those ghost Pokemon are on a bit of a rampage

• So, what do you think guys? - So, what do you think, guys?
  • Heck yeah man! - Heck yeah, man!
  • Oh boy! - Oh, boy!
  • Oh man - Oh, man
  • Supposedly there have been Haunter sightings - Supposedly, there have been
  • all in a days work - all in a day's work
  • Oh my baby! - Oh, my baby!
  • Come on Cleffa - Come on, Cleffa!
  • You're very welcome though - You're very welcome, though
  • Great work gang! - Great work, gang
  • I hear you loud and clear guys! - I hear you loud and clear, guys!
  • I'm mostly in it to help people though! - I'm mostly in it to help people, though!
  • Don't worry about any payment for now either. - Don't worry about any payment for now, either
  • but thank you Gogoat! - but thank you, Gogoat!
  • Alright gang - Alright, gang
  • Thank you so much for rescuing me Pika Detective Agency! - rescuing me, Pika Detective Agency!
  • You're welcome Skiddo! - You're welcome, Skiddo!
  • are blowing my mind Kirlia! - are blowing my mind, Kirlia!
  • Oh thank goodness you're safe Skiddo! - Oh, thank goodness you're safe, Skiddo!
  • Come on Skiddo - Come on, Skiddo
  • Thanks you two! - Thanks, you two!
  • Thank you again Pika Detective Agency! - Thank you again, Pika Detective Agency!
  • Let's head out Skiddo! - Let's head out, Skiddo!
  • Bye friends! - Bye, friends!
  • Bye Skiddo and Gogoat! - Bye, Skiddo and Gogoat!
  • Good job team! - Good job, team!
  • What do you wanna talk about Kirlia? - What do you wanna talk about, Kirlia?
  • happen any time soon I fear - any time soon, I fear
  • Thank you Kirlia. - Thank you, Kirlia
  • Dang though - Dang, though
  • anything you can sense right now Kirlia - anything you can sense right now, Kirlia
  • Oh thank you! - Oh, thank you!
  • You should really be careful around there though - You really should be careful around there, though
  • Goodbye Pika Detective Agency! -
  • Alright guys, - Alright, guys
  • That's the spirit Pancham! - That's the spirit, Pancham!
  • Alright gang, - Alright, gang
  • Great work again gang! - Great work again, gang!
  • We are a detective agency after all! - We are a detective agency, after all!
  • a family of Wigglytuffand - it looked like a space was missing between "Wigglytuff" and "and", but that might have just been the font making it look like that
  • Thats a good plan! - That's a good plan!
  • avoiding Ghost pokemon at this - Pokémon should be capitalized
  • Did they now? Well that's fantastic! I'm so glad you're safe honey! - Did they, now? Well, that's fantastic! I'm so glad you're safe, honey!
  • Thank you again for everything Pika Detective Agency! -
  • Thank you friends! - Thank you, friends!
  • Have a good one you two! - Have a good one, you two!
  • Kidding of course! - Kidding, of course!
  • How about you Pancham? - How about you, Pancham?
  • This is really good progress though! - This is really good progress, though!

(The main issue I saw coming up - and the main grammar issue I see in a lot of fan games, honestly - is skipping a comma when a sentence is directed at someone. It doesn't usually cause any confusion because you have the context implying it, but if you look at just the sentence on its own, you can see how it helps to have it there to make it clear. I'm gonna try to do some goofy examples (like Eats Shoots and Leaves) to explain a little better -
  • "Let's head out Skiddo!" - Telling Skiddo to leave, or telling someone to leave through Skiddo?
  • "Great work gang!" - Telling the gang "great work", or just shouting the name of the great work gang, the group known for their quality efforts?
  • "That's the spirit Pancham!" - Encouraging Pancham, or identifying which Pancham is a ghost?
  • "Thank you so much for rescuing me Pika Detective Agency!" -Thanking the detectives, or a pirate thanking someone for rescuing his detective agency?

Just finished streaming the game!
Some thoughts:
I had a lot of fun and a lot of struggle. The first time I tried to clear the cave mission was hell for me, I just got pounded and pounded! But eventually I did it, and when I came back again to do it on 1 HP it didn't take me too long, which is a sign that I actually got better which is pretty cool.

I ended up 100%ing it and doing the secret mission on 1hp too, it was really fun, and damn that "ghost" in the secret mission is SUPER fast.
I really don't have anything bad to say about this game, I found it very reminiscent of the early Slenderman games which felt quite nostalgic for me :)
You really stepped out of your comfort zone and made something super unique, and it was 100% worth it! I'm looking forward to whatever is next :P

Here are my records, nothing fast but to be honest I'm just proud that I managed to clear it.
h0AotLf.png

Thank you so much for the well thought out feedback! I really appreciate it, this is awesome stuff! I'm happy you enjoyed the game and had a spooky fun time! I agree with the critiques as well, I can look into adjusting some of the more awkward bits of info and controls!

Also thank you for calling out the typos, I'd love to do a pass on these sometime!

Back