• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Distant Memories

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
title.png

A simple life of a simple man

Made Using
RPG Maker XP and Essentials v19.1

Team
Just me 👉👈
(and some advises from my bro)

My first game ever! It has 2-3 hours of gameplay and 7 finals (3 mains)
You play as Cole, a retired Pokémon trainer in his last days, revisit his memories and learn how your actions unfluenced who you are now

Screenshot1.png
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot3.png
Screenshot4.png
Screenshot5.png
Screenshot6.png

Download Link
Resource Pack

All the resources are public and free to use on non-profit projects

Programs --------------------------------
RPG Maker XP by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Golisopod User
Rataime
help-14
Savordez
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"mkxp-z" by:
Roza
Based on MKXP by Ancurio et al.

Tilesets:
RPG Maker xp/Enterbrain
Tmon
phionabrie
FatYogi
Kiriashi
Bob423
telles0808
milkian

Carnival by:
whtdragon
SchwarzeNacht

Clown walking sprite by:
aveontrainer, etique

Food Stalls Set by:
spritemight

Pidove Overworlds by:
Kyle-Dove

Battle Backgrounds by:
Pokémon ORAS/XY
Edited by:
PhoenixOfLight92
LackDeJurane

Elite Battle: DX
Sprites:
GameFreak | Original sprites from B/W/2 games
Pokecheck.org | Ripping the sprites from B2/W2 roms
PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG conversion
Tebited15, WolfPP, Issei Hyoudou, Nasasu, luckygirl88 | B/W styled trainer Red/Leaf sprites
WolfPP | B/W styled trainer Leaf sprite
Spriters-Resource (redblueyellow), Damien, WolfPP | Gen 5 ball sprites

Sound Effects:
GameFreak | Original sound effects from B/W/2 games
BadSamaritan | Ripping the sound effects

Other:
Luka S.J. | Elite Battle: DX
Pokémon Essentials | Base system
Maruno, Marin, Golisopod User | General help, support, and bouncing off ideas
PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG conversion

Character Customization Resources:
Coffee Cup

Following Pokemon EX:
Golisopod User
Help-14
zingzags
Rayd12smitty
mej71
PurpleZaffre
Akizakura16
Thundaga
Armin (Fairies Resource Pack)
Maruno

Soundtrack by:

ME by:
Pokémon Sun and Moon
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

Twisted Carousel
by Brandon Fiechter, Derek Fiechter

Starlight Waltz
by ponyphonic

So It's A Goodbye
Archangel
Healing
Forest's Howling Spirits
The Sphinx
Tempest Shadow
Legends of the Everfree
The Crystalling
A Final Encounter
The Demon Child
Night Queen
Together, Against the Sisters
by Jyc Row

The Edge
The Ballad of the Crystal Empire
by Artem Yegorov

Octavia
Beautiful Night
Above Equestria
by Evening Star

Hummingbird
Finally, It's Over
Winter Ghosts
Gentle Breeze
What Matters Most
by 4everfreebrony

Cat sounds
by Sound Bytes
by Free Sound Effects

Cat Purr
by Alex Voxel

Breaking glass sound effect
by Sound Effects

Door Knock
by Sounds.Download

Crowd
by Arietta Sound FM

Thunder
OTPmali

Storm
Sounds4Sleeping

Old Paper Wallpaper

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Last edited:

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
the debug mode is avaliable in case you get stuck in a bug or want to skip a difficult battle : )

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
3 curious facts about the game story:
Not only the levels and the badges tells the passing of time, but the Pokémon you catch, like Venipede after the forest.
The Golem you have in the Champion tournament was traded with Tulio for your Riolu.
If you didn't get the good ending you may not know, but the Purrloin you have is the son of your Liepard. (And the son of Matilda's Delcatty, excluding the neutral ending)

Played through the game on stream and I had a good time, I really enjoyed the story you told and the way you told it!
Some thoughts:
I've mentioned it before, but I did find the first bug forest a bit tough/slow, but after that point I got really into the game. I loved all the different snippits of memories, traveling through them and seeing how our life was, the people we met, and whatnot. The way you told the story got me further invested in the story itself, it made me care a lot more than I would've if you just told the story outright, which is really cool and really good.

I also think for the most part the pacing was pretty good, most of the memories didn't stay past their welcome, you get a little taste and then you move onto another one, just yeah I liked it alot. Seeing the gravestone outside and knowing it was going to tie into a memory at some point had me hooked, waiting in dread for who it was going to be.

Music choice felt pretty spot on, the game in general gave me this melancholy, sentimental feel, and the music reinforced it while also just being pleasant to listen to. Also I really liked the character sprites you did, arthur in particular looked really well sprited.

On the topic of art, I do think the choice of using default RPGMaker tiles is a bit odd, and it does clash with the pokemon style a lot, however I do also appreciate it somewhat, it did bring a very fresh look to the game and made for some environments that feel rather unique from what I'm used to playing.

One last bit of feedback it that the ice gym leader felt a tiny tiny bit too hard, everytime I fought her I was very close to beating her, but it did take me about 40 minutes to beat her. I was very invested by the end though

But yeah, I think you did a really good job and told a really cool story in an even cooler way. So big respect, especially for this being your first game, that's kind of wild. I look forward to what else you go on to make!

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
Played through the game on stream and I had a good time, I really enjoyed the story you told and the way you told it!
Some thoughts:
I've mentioned it before, but I did find the first bug forest a bit tough/slow, but after that point I got really into the game. I loved all the different snippits of memories, traveling through them and seeing how our life was, the people we met, and whatnot. The way you told the story got me further invested in the story itself, it made me care a lot more than I would've if you just told the story outright, which is really cool and really good.

I also think for the most part the pacing was pretty good, most of the memories didn't stay past their welcome, you get a little taste and then you move onto another one, just yeah I liked it alot. Seeing the gravestone outside and knowing it was going to tie into a memory at some point had me hooked, waiting in dread for who it was going to be.

Music choice felt pretty spot on, the game in general gave me this melancholy, sentimental feel, and the music reinforced it while also just being pleasant to listen to. Also I really liked the character sprites you did, arthur in particular looked really well sprited.

On the topic of art, I do think the choice of using default RPGMaker tiles is a bit odd, and it does clash with the pokemon style a lot, however I do also appreciate it somewhat, it did bring a very fresh look to the game and made for some environments that feel rather unique from what I'm used to playing.

One last bit of feedback it that the ice gym leader felt a tiny tiny bit too hard, everytime I fought her I was very close to beating her, but it did take me about 40 minutes to beat her. I was very invested by the end though

But yeah, I think you did a really good job and told a really cool story in an even cooler way. So big respect, especially for this being your first game, that's kind of wild. I look forward to what else you go on to make!
Thanks for playing!
The default RPGMaker XP tiles choice is too fit the nostalgic theme the game has
I did some little changes on the forest in the last update, but I thinkis the slowest part of the game :/
Yeah, I think I got lucky when testing the gym leader :v I'll take out one pkmn from her

Porygon2

Novice
Playing through a story told like this by interacting with objects and seeing the memories associated with them was really interesting! I wasn't able to see the full ending (Ending 7) because of glitches with the ending scenes that I didn't have the expertise to know how to fix, but I was still engaged throughout the journey.

Also, the download link in the first post says the file is no longer available. (I downloaded from the link above the first post)

If you defeat Tulio, the champion control switch isn't turned on, preventing you from seeing the ending. The champion control switch only turns on if you lose to Tulio. Additionally, the win control switch doesn't turn on for defeating Tulio either.

Matilda walks into the crowd and stops, and I don't believe anything else is possible to do from there:
VKsHSq2.png

In the Endings notepad file that's included in the game folder, matches is spelled "matchers" in all instances it's used, and also in every instance, Looses should be Lose or Loses:
tOlusOd.png

First h missing in thought. Also, I didn't even thought on should be either I didn't even think of or I hadn't even thought of:
fSWw85T.png

we're shouldn't have an h. Also, Cole refers to the Spearow as him, but Spearow can be either male or female, and in my case, was female:
tJJhNyX.png

hjz16sr.png

tend should be tent:
1yLXQeB.png

The end of battle speech for Youngster Ben, the first trainer you battle in the forest, ends with two different punctuation marks; I think the exclamation mark was the intended one:
07PkV42.png

is should be it's (this trainer has the same dialogue when spoken to before and after battle, so in both cases):
aArsq6e.png

found should be find (for both cases, since this trainer has the same dialogue before and after battle). Also, this Bug Catcher uses a different sprite than other Bug Catchers. Other Bug Catchers use a regular Bug Catcher sprite, but Bug Catcher Bugz uses Bugsy's sprite, which seems to glitch during the battle scene, vanishing after a second and then not showing up for the defeat dialogue:
Vs6XVib.png

knew should be know:
XPaJdPp.png

I think uh was intended to be huh:
IJGO53J.png

won't should be don't:
yM60sI1.png

What they are feeding should be What are they feeding (for both cases since this trainer has the same dialogue before and after battle):
MnHeeoN.png

Missing h in authorities:
8nJWREM.png

Missing one l in allergic:
MC8aPXC.png

Missing t in Not:
kUk2nKS.png

knew should be know:
KTpG5Sa.png

This line is said twice:
k2H3jvz.png

The a in responsibilities should be an i:
sMKPKRz.png

a should be an:
SZvzb9U.png

bussiness should be business:
9dQ25HQ.png

Missing second t in Tournament:
dr6hQqQ.png

a should be an:
7KMssvG.png

Missing an e in see:
Nwg7BNQ.png

looses should be lose:
D8QDW0g.png

asked should be ask:
fu7Gtod.png

every day should be two words:
QcGebe1.png

appreciated is missing one p:
2TlSWHy.png

you asked should be you asked for:
RlYxB7u.png

saw should be seen:

2r6qJ7I.png

Two different punctuation marks at end of sentence:
4abwilJ.png

The word do should be between Why and you:
ATEklI5.png

The c in Center should be capitalized:
tNAkxlz.png

The word if should be between as and a:
NKm7GJf.png

dirt should be dirty:
QtvS8P6.png

loosing for should be losing to:
1yHvHsM.png

i in Ice should be capitalized:
pLEBgzT.png

Missing first h in thought:
ORwKrX6.png

how shouldn't be capitalized:
GiDAOOM.png

The word if should be between as and you:
9e3tRqJ.png

Missing n in girlfriend:
xIZcc3z.png

HABrpfF.png

A should be An. Also, I'm wondering why the Basement Key is in the Medicine pocket, I feel like it should be in the Key Items pocket?
aVwh89R.png

poorly should be poor:
uzOVDeW.png

Tho should be Though and the second s in interested should be a t
yZouFPD.png

The t in Thank should be capitalized:
bmVOOjw.png

on should be in:
0T1ZdPw.png

each other should be two words:
cq5OhiW.png

You did should be You did it:
HTkxSQ4.png

didn't expected should be either didn't expect or hadn't expected:
r8gXQ1a.png

Rqe3FFL.png

Can walk on these three wall tiles:
1KwoUXe.png

Three of the NPCs here have no dialogue. Specifically, the one in the green shirt below me, the bottom right one in the white shirt and red pants, and the one with the blue shirt and pink shorts.
nkixioW.png

This NPC has no dialogue:
C5isOl3.png

Most of the NPCs at the carnival don't have dialogue. Only Matilda and the tile puzzle and Dusk Stone NPCs have dialogue.

The screen color tone isn't changed back after battling Tulio, causing a black screen. I also got a black screen after going out to celebrate even though according to event pages the screen tone was changed back.
nFSHa30.png

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
Playing through a story told like this by interacting with objects and seeing the memories associated with them was really interesting! I wasn't able to see the full ending (Ending 7) because of glitches with the ending scenes that I didn't have the expertise to know how to fix, but I was still engaged throughout the journey.

Also, the download link in the first post says the file is no longer available. (I downloaded from the link above the first post)

If you defeat Tulio, the champion control switch isn't turned on, preventing you from seeing the ending. The champion control switch only turns on if you lose to Tulio. Additionally, the win control switch doesn't turn on for defeating Tulio either.

Matilda walks into the crowd and stops, and I don't believe anything else is possible to do from there:
VKsHSq2.png

In the Endings notepad file that's included in the game folder, matches is spelled "matchers" in all instances it's used, and also in every instance, Looses should be Lose or Loses:
tOlusOd.png

First h missing in thought. Also, I didn't even thought on should be either I didn't even think of or I hadn't even thought of:
fSWw85T.png

we're shouldn't have an h. Also, Cole refers to the Spearow as him, but Spearow can be either male or female, and in my case, was female:
tJJhNyX.png

hjz16sr.png

tend should be tent:
1yLXQeB.png

The end of battle speech for Youngster Ben, the first trainer you battle in the forest, ends with two different punctuation marks; I think the exclamation mark was the intended one:
07PkV42.png

is should be it's (this trainer has the same dialogue when spoken to before and after battle, so in both cases):
aArsq6e.png

found should be find (for both cases, since this trainer has the same dialogue before and after battle). Also, this Bug Catcher uses a different sprite than other Bug Catchers. Other Bug Catchers use a regular Bug Catcher sprite, but Bug Catcher Bugz uses Bugsy's sprite, which seems to glitch during the battle scene, vanishing after a second and then not showing up for the defeat dialogue:
Vs6XVib.png

knew should be know:
XPaJdPp.png

I think uh was intended to be huh:
IJGO53J.png

won't should be don't:
yM60sI1.png

What they are feeding should be What are they feeding (for both cases since this trainer has the same dialogue before and after battle):
MnHeeoN.png

Missing h in authorities:
8nJWREM.png

Missing one l in allergic:
MC8aPXC.png

Missing t in Not:
kUk2nKS.png

knew should be know:
KTpG5Sa.png

This line is said twice:
k2H3jvz.png

The a in responsibilities should be an i:
sMKPKRz.png

a should be an:
SZvzb9U.png

9dQ25HQ.png

Missing second t in Tournament:
dr6hQqQ.png

a should be an:
7KMssvG.png

Missing an e in see:
Nwg7BNQ.png

looses should be lose:
D8QDW0g.png

asked should be ask:
fu7Gtod.png

every day should be two words:
QcGebe1.png

appreciated is missing one p:
2TlSWHy.png

you asked should be you asked for:
RlYxB7u.png

saw should be seen:

2r6qJ7I.png

Two different punctuation marks at end of sentence:
4abwilJ.png

The word do should be between Why and you:
ATEklI5.png

The c in Center should be capitalized:
tNAkxlz.png

The word if should be between as and a:
NKm7GJf.png

dirt should be dirty:
QtvS8P6.png

loosing for should be losing to:
1yHvHsM.png

i in Ice should be capitalized:
pLEBgzT.png

Missing first h in thought:
ORwKrX6.png

how shouldn't be capitalized:
GiDAOOM.png

The word if should be between as and you:
9e3tRqJ.png

Missing n in girlfriend:
xIZcc3z.png

HABrpfF.png

A should be An. Also, I'm wondering why the Basement Key is in the Medicine pocket, I feel like it should be in the Key Items pocket?
aVwh89R.png

poorly should be poor:
uzOVDeW.png

Tho should be Though and the second s in interested should be a t
yZouFPD.png

The t in Thank should be capitalized:
bmVOOjw.png

on should be in:
0T1ZdPw.png

each other should be two words:
cq5OhiW.png

You did should be You did it:
HTkxSQ4.png

didn't expected should be either didn't expect or hadn't expected:
r8gXQ1a.png

Rqe3FFL.png

Can walk on these three wall tiles:
1KwoUXe.png

Three of the NPCs here have no dialogue. Specifically, the one in the green shirt below me, the bottom right one in the white shirt and red pants, and the one with the blue shirt and pink shorts.
nkixioW.png

This NPC has no dialogue:
C5isOl3.png

Most of the NPCs at the carnival don't have dialogue. Only Matilda and the tile puzzle and Dusk Stone NPCs have dialogue.

The screen color tone isn't changed back after battling Tulio, causing a black screen. I also got a black screen after going out to celebrate even though according to event pages the screen tone was changed back.
nFSHa30.png
thanks for all the notes! I'll try to fix it all in the next bug fix
oh, I probably messed up Tulio's event when fixing it and didn't noticed :/
I didn't had the time to put dialogues on all NPCs and I think I can't add it, since it's new content
most of the spelling errors is bcz I'm not the best at speakinh english, thanks for noticing it all XD

Last edited:
Back