• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Snow Warning

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.

Created for the Relic Castle Game Jam #8.

title.png

A long time ago, two Pokemon roamed the earth. Carizzapex, the bringer of the winter solstice, and Summaraze, the herald of the summer solstice.
They would always rest on the small island of Solsti and leave before the other arrived. Their stays blanketing the island in freezing cold or stifling heat.

One day, Carizzapex did not leave. As a result, the Solstice Pokemon battled for the territory...

In the end, Carizzapex won...

[2022-08-09] 15_07_41.319.png
[2022-08-09] 15_45_48.889.png

[2022-08-09] 15_11_44.063.png
[2022-08-09] 15_17_27.205.png

[2022-08-09] 15_17_44.936.png
[2022-08-09] 15_46_05.002.png

[2022-08-09] 15_18_12.338.png
[2022-08-09] 15_45_09.735.png

[2022-08-09] 15_23_26.208.png

Made using: Pokemon Essentials v20.1 (link in credits)

Team: Omegas

Notes: This is an idea I've had brewing in my head for a while. A Pokemon game with a more of a traditional RPG structure. This version will give you a glimpse of what the game has to offer, and I hope you enjoy what it has in store!

You are a Trainer born in the Solsti region, an island wrapped in snow and ice. One day, you are caught in a snowstorm and lose your way. After meeting with a mysterious woman who tells you about a way to break the winter holding the region hostage. You set out to bring the sun and warmth back to the region you call home!

One thing to note is that almost every Pokemon in the game has the Ice type. Don't think that Ice-type moves are useless, however.

Hope you all have a great day!

Alternate Download Links:

Resource Pack:
Pokemon Snow Warning Player Sprites and Regional Variants

Credits:

Pokemon Essentials v20.1:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
Roza
Based on MKXP by Ancurio et al.
With contributions from:
AvatarMonkeyKirby, Marin, Boushy
MiDas Mike, Brother1440, FL.
PinkMan, Genzai Kawakami, Popper, help-14
Rataime, IceGod64, Savordez, SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock, the__end, KitsuneKouta
Wachunga, Lisa Anthony, Venom12, Near Fantastica, Luka S.J.

Gen 8 Pack for Essentials:
Battler Sprites:
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites - veekun
Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project
Overworld Sprites
Gen 6+ Berry Tree Overworlds - Anarlaurendil
Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds - princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds - Larry Turbo, princess-pheonix
Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds - SageDeoxys, Wolfang62, LarryTurbo, tammyclaydon
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds - MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer, LarryTurbo
Icon Sprites
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Alaguesia
Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
Gen 8 Icon Sprites - Larry Turbo, Leparagon
Cry Credits:
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries - Rhyden
Gen 7 Pokemon Cries - Marin, Rhyden
Gen 8 Pokemon Cries - Zeak6464
Script Credits:
Golisopod User, Luka S.J.
Compilation of Resources:
Golisopod User, UberDunsparce

Public Gen 4 Tileset:
Magiscarf
WesleyFG
SailorVicious (Formerly known as Heavy-Metal-Lover)
Shawn Frost
NSora-96
PeekyChew
Kyle-Dove
Claisprojects.com
Minorthreat0987
The-Red-Ex
UltimoSpriter
TyranitarDark
DarkDragonn
rafa-cac
Phyromatical
Alucus
Newtiteuf
ChaoticCherryCake
moca

Indoor Tileset:
Akizakura16

Gen 4 OW Sprites by:
Neo-Spriteman
VanillaSunshine
PurpleZaffre & Maicerochico
AtomicReactor

Gen 4 and 5 Trainer Sprites:
Mr. Gela/theo#7722

Music obtained from khinsider:
A Crisis - Breath of Fire 2 - (found here)
Sealed Ruin Pit - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky
Hidden Land - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky
Crystal Cave - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky
Vast Ice Mountain - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky
Snowy Mount Valak (Night) - Xenoblade Chronicles
Fld Unhell03 - Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Eve Darkrival - Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia
Legendary Pokemon Encounter - Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Faldera Volcano - Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs
Decisive Battle! Dark Rust - Pokemon Rumble Blast

v20.1 Hotfix:
Maruno

Dawn and Lucas Sprites:
Spriter's Resource - redblueyellow

Last edited:

Hexdex

Guy who probably isn’t a cat
I saw this earlier

did not realise it was so new

or that you were the one who made it

Echoing Ickle's point about being stuck on the ledge outside the house. (I edited the map to get around it, and was able to make it through the rest of the game)

Mudbray on the bed is very cute. (and I like putting "Gift from Dad" as his location!)

I like the detail on the trainer card, especially your dad signing it! Trainer cards are almost always skipped over, so seeing attention to little things like that is a nice stroke of polish!

I really like all the regional variants, and all the little lore bits about how they adapted to the wintry land! I think Ice is a very good type to add en mass like this - since it doesn't have a lot of resistances, and you've kept most of these dual-types, you don't run into the issue of a limited movepool!

I like Chelsea's comment about the hail being kept out of the cave! Abilities aren't often explicitly mentioned in-game, I think because people tend to worry about it coming off as just a direct "Here's a strategy you should use" - I feel like this was a really good way of calling attention to how the environment shifted and allowed for new strategies, and making the player think to check the abilities of the Pokemon they'd caught more!

I also like having the wild double battles, I feel like it's a good way to let players experience more of the new Pokemon!

I really like this legendary conflict! I think a Solstice duo is a fun concept, and I like the idea of having a legendary that's more present in the humans' lives rather than just "asleep and doing nothing, villains almost wake it up but the hero stops them". I like the conflict between Kelvin and Chelsea, too- a conflict between two sympathetic figures is a nice change of pace from the usual evil team, and I feel like there's a lot of potential themes to explore there.
This is kind of nitpicky, but the title screen feels just slightly off... I think it's because the light effect isn't really aligned with the legendaries, so it feels more awkward and kind of draws attention to it being the default title. I think it could work better with it shifted to center on one of the legendaries, like this -
1660894683870.png

Using just screen flashes for the legend felt a little awkward, especially the bright red for summer. What if you did one of the maps with some of the green tiles instead, and used them as visuals?

Kind of drops the immersion to have Kelvin ask to confirm the name of his child as he's telling him a bedtime story.

Nitpicky, but the hallway in the player's house felt a bit needlessly long, especially when there's not really anything of interest in it.

1661136431246.png

This felt like a really weird place to put stairs, I don't understand why they weren't on the other wall or facing the other direction?

I get the idea from the event turning you around in the snow, but the movement was so abrupt I thought it was a misplaced event somewhere. I think it'd be good to have some visual cues to indicate the player is getting turned around, maybe the screen flashing white before they're turned around.

I like the mechanic of having Chelsea search for items, it fits with the setting well, but there's nothing to stop you from just spamming it over and over. Maybe it could be something that recharges with steps taken instead?
It's also just on a blank black screen, which is kind of boring - I feel like even just showing the overworld as it is would be better.

I feel like Chelsea should have been following the player instead of just moving ahead of them all the time. She says she needs their help, so it's kind of strange to see her just take off and get way further without you. You could still restrict some of her actions to the resting points, but this way it feels more like a journey together.

1661136464491.png

Feels like Chelsey isn't really facing Kelvin here, I feel like she should have just moved over a step.

There's a level curve to the game, but there's only two battles that aren't against wild Pokemon. I don't know if the player's intended to grind against the wild Pokemon - I could see that, given the whole thing of trying to find resources out in the harsh winter - but it wasn't really clear that was the goal until the player goes up against Kelvin in the first trainer battle and finds his Pokemon six levels higher than some of the Pokemon you could catch at the start.

These cave maps are really spread out. It feels especially odd to have a cave such a wide open space, and there's not often much that makes it worth exploring.
1660895278098.png

The cave entrances are a pretty different palette from the rocks they're on
1660893181443.png

If you just recolor them with the other tile's palette, it's still pretty noticeable, but it flows a little better
1660893464280.png

In a similar vein, the battlebacks in the caves are really at odds with the cave tiles. (Granted, I was playing at night, that might have made them darker)

1660895092205.png

I don't really understand why Heatran was made into a trainer battle instead of a wild battle? The "Heatran sent out Heatran" felt a little awkward. You could use battle rules to make it no-catch and no-run so that the player still has to defeat it and can't run away.

Manually clicking through the credits was ROUGH, especially at only two lines at a time. I don't really understand why you didn't just do the usual credits scene?

I felt like the fakemon didn't really get much time to shine here! You've got alternate forms up to three stages in some lines, but the player doesn't have an opportunity to see them, or in some cases even see the first stage! I know some of that's limited by the level curve, but I feel (You've taken out the PBS, too - I get the goal of secrecy, but it also hides the evolution methods for all the new mons, like the Golem in your screenshots. Maybe you could make a version of the PBS where you remove the legendaries/later stages but keep the regional mons that can be encountered?)
The 1-tile doors become 2-tile rugs in all the houses

You have to stand on the box to interact with it
1660894935546.png

The Pokedex is still listed as Kanto Pokedex

Junjul's Village is missing a space
1660894893883.png

The Pachirisu event is empty

The battles in the White Wastes display the indoors background. Also, Geodude seems a bit low?
1660895188885.png

The player's backpack detail is yellow when they're standing, but blue when they're running
1660894828910.png

There was a bit of a delay between Kelvin leaving the player's room and the sound effect playing

Chelsea just disappears after the window cutscene

All the variants are missing menu icons

On the first half of Sparkling Shore, the wild encounter theme is the victory music.

After the first return to title, loading the game again just returns to the title again. (I think there's some issue with the Return to Title command, I remember Vendily was talking with Shronos about a fix in the discord server a couple weeks ago)
Passability
1660894969492.png

Visible void
1660894984884.png
1660895128661.png

Visible void
1660895002374.png
1660895008290.png

Passability (after door is locked)
1660895117112.png

Visible void
1660895211288.png
1660895216568.png
1660895222704.png
1660895229965.png
Pokémon is spelled without the é everywhere
  • You really seem intrigued by this story my little - by this story, my little
  • we'd never be able to power Pokeballs - Poké Balls
  • Doesn't help a lot of - Doesn't help that a lot of
  • You don't plan on going out, are you? - You don't plan on going out, do you? or You aren't planning on going out, are you?
  • How long have you been out there exactly? - How long have you been out there, exactly?
  • around Carizzapex, himself - Carizzapex himself
  • Your gathering supplies - You're gathering
  • if your going out into - if you're going
  • Its me - It's me
  • Alright, lets see - let's see
    Its not something - It's not something
  • If your having trouble - If you're having
  • How did you get here. - should end in ?
  • battle, again? - battle again?
  • Are journey isn't over - Our journey

Last edited:

Porygon2

Novice
I was surprised that the game ended where it did, but then I reread the first post and remembered "This version will give you a glimpse of what the game has to offer". If there's a planned continuation of it in the future then I'd definitely look forward to it! I loved the Ice-type Pokemon variants! The Geodude line variants being snowmen was creative.

I'm intrigued about the story between Kelvin and Chelsey, since they seem to know each other. I also wonder where the player's mom is, since she's the one telling the story about the island in the intro scene, but is nowhere to be seen in the game. Unless she's one of the NPCs in our village and it either just wasn't stated or I missed.

I made sure to read the other posts before reporting bugs so that I didn't report any duplicates, but I apologize if there's anything in here that was already reported in other posts that I happened to miss seeing in them.

Missing apostrophe in thing's:
fTFccjL.png

the word as should be between fix and you, and the z is missing in Summaraze:
S9SaS7c.png

I wasn't able to get a screenshot at the exact time it happens, but if you speak to your dad from the right side, he walks through you. He also vanishes in plain view after moving up:
uSv4iKw.png

The player doesn't turn around to face Chelsey during this conversation, making one wonder how she sees "that look" in our eye:
PiTUr9t.png

You can walk into Chelsey here:
EIunvkH.png

Omegas

Trainer
Hello, everyone. Thank you for your patience. Pokemon Snow Warning v1.1 is now available.

This update fixes gameplay issues, such as issues with the ledge event, as well as trying to deal with issues involving game balance.

Not much to say here, mostly bug fixes. However, one major new event has been added, Tyrant Pokemon.

Tyrant Pokemon are unusually powerful Pokemon you may encounter in the Solsti region. Having learned to thrive in the frigid wastelands, these Pokemon excel in the wild.

You'll see Tyrants wandering around in the field. To trigger the encounter, just walk up to them. Tyrants are far stronger than the wild Pokemon around them. Not only are they higher level, their stats are slightly better than other Pokemon of the same species. In addition, these Pokemon have powerful tools at their disposal. Tyrants will have one of two abilities, Royal Fury or Royal Guard. Royal Fury boost the power of the user's super-effective moves. Royal Guard reduces the damage the user takes from super-effective moves. These Pokemon have access to the move Tyrant's Roar. When used, all of the user's stats increase, but the user can no longer flee from the battle.

Tyrants are hard to defeat and equally hard to capture, but the rewards for defeating them are great. They give plenty of EXP upon being defeated, and they make powerful allies, if captured.

I hope you all enjoy this update and enjoy the game as a whole! The next update will focus more on cleaning up small graphical issues and improve the overall atmosphere. This update will take care of the big issue keeping many people from playing. Hopefully, this update fixes many of the problems with game balance as well. I will always be listening if there are any issues, and I will always be glad to look into them.

Hope you all have a nice day!

Omegas

Trainer
Hello, everyone. No new update just yet. I was just popping in to say that I'll be taking a small hiatus from my projects to try and focus on college and other things in my life. It shouldn't be anything too crazy, but I didn't want anyone thinking that I've vanished.

I'll still be poking around the forums to check in on the game's status. So if there are any bugs or issues you have with the game, please DM me or post on the forum. I may not respond right away, but I will make note of it for the next update!

Until then, I hope you all continue to enjoy the game and I will hope to have a new update out when I return! I hope you all have a nice day, and I'll see you all later!

carlos_spicy

Rookie
Having hard time with it crashing. I ran into a battle and after that it started crashing an error code all the time now.

Dragon 77

Rookie
is this Fan Game already complete and where do I download the latest version of it?

Last edited by a moderator:
is this Fan Game already complete and where do I download the latest version of it?
Alternate Download Links:

Hello, everyone. No new update just yet. I was just popping in to say that I'll be taking a small hiatus from my projects to try and focus on college and other things in my life. It shouldn't be anything too crazy, but I didn't want anyone thinking that I've vanished.

I'll still be poking around the forums to check in on the game's status. So if there are any bugs or issues you have with the game, please DM me or post on the forum. I may not respond right away, but I will make note of it for the next update!

Until then, I hope you all continue to enjoy the game and I will hope to have a new update out when I return! I hope you all have a nice day, and I'll see you all later!

Omegas

Trainer
Hey, everyone! No update just yet, but I wanted to let everyone know that work is coming along smoothly for the next chapter of Pokemon Snow Warning!

The next update will pick up immediately where the previous update left off, so there is no need to start over or backtrack. It will still be a bit before it releases, but, in the meantime, I wanted to give you a glimpse of some new Pokemon that will be available in Pokemon Snow Warning: Chapter 2!

Psychic/Ice
ABRA_1.png

If you've been poking around the files for Pokemon Snow Warning, you might have already seen the data for
this Pokemon. Abra was planned to be in the original release but was cut about a week before release.

Solstian Abra will be available in Pokemon Snow Warning: Chapter 2! Not only that, but this line of Pokemon
has a new evolution that will be available, as well!

Electric/Ice
MAGNETON_1.png

Did you know magnets get stronger when they get cold? Combine that with the aurora borealis,
it appears magnetism quite enjoys colder climates!

Solstian Magneton and Magnemite will both be available in Pokemon Snow Warning: Chapter 2!
In addition, a new evolution for Solstian Magneton will be available, as well!
That is all for now! I hope you are all excited for Pokemon Snow Warning: Chapter 2!

Until then, I hope you all have a nice day!

wingzero93

Rookie
Yo... I spent almost 3 hours on chapter 1...and when you hit the end, you're like, "Whutttttt?"
Honestly cannot wait for chapter 2/the rest of this game. I NEED MOAR!
Also... I got pretty stoked when I caught my first Charmander. So glad I finally got around to playing Snow Warning. Such a great concept...and the story is so compelling!! 10/10.

Back