• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Don't Go, Pikachu! (For Android & Windows)

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
dontgopikachu.png

Don't Go, Pikachu!
A Roguelike Adventure

No time to rest! Pikachu has been kidnapped and needs your help!
Battle your way through five randomly generated environments in this unique roguelike adventure!
Beating the game rewards a badge and unlocks new starters - can you collect all?

Join our Discord for more Don't Go, Pikachu!
main.png
Features
Short roguelike game runs with a fast combat system featuring permadeath and limited PP.
5 hand-crafted environments featuring randomly generated layouts - every playthrough is different!
A roster featuring 36 battlers of which 17 starters.
54 moves with new, crisp animations.
A range of prefixes that elevate your moves to the next level.
Item upgrades that permanently improve your team.
Autosaving to continue where you left off.​
Theme
Don't Go, Pikachu features a much simplified gameplay loop without fuss: you need to get Pikachu back!
There are no abilities, mega evolutions, Z-moves, movesets, usable items or overarching story.
Instead, we've tried to distil the formula into a simple but satisfying roguelike loop.​
good.png
sun.png
Some menus provide additional options via
the left and right buttons (e.g. there are
multiple battlers to pick from)!

PC Controls
Arrow keys: Movement
Z/Enter: Interact
X/Backspace: Cancel
Shift: Run
Control: Walk

Phone Controls
D-Pad: Movement
(use as a D-pad for the best experience)

A: Interact
B: Cancel
Run: Run
Walk: Walk
Found a bug?
Please post bugs directly on our Discord instead of this thread so that we can fix them as soon as possible. Thank you!

Please let us know if you find any!
evil.png
Windows Download (1.12)
(Now supports Intel!)

If you have technical problems, please
share your PC specs on our Discord if you are
experiencing issues so that we can support
all hardware as soon as possible!

Dedicated GPU?
Please make sure that your computer runs the game
on your dedicated GPU instead of integrated graphics.
Visual guide.

AMD users:
We found that the game works when using the latest
Optional drivers instead of the WHQL ones.
This should resolve the black screen issue
for both dedicated and integrated graphics.
(Adrenalin 22.8.1 Optional)

Requirements:

Ulix Dexflow requires OpenGL ES 3.2
Old computers or computers with integrated
graphics may not support this.​
Android Download (1.12)

If you have technical problems, please
share your issue on our Discord! Android devices
can vary wildly and we would love to
have feedback on how the game runs on
all kinds of devices. Hopefully, we can
fix any issues that crop up with your help!

Requirements:

Requires file permissions for saving progress.

Ulix Dexflow requires OpenGL ES 3.2
Old Android phones, especially those with Android
versions below 9, may not support this.
The game may respond slowly on older phones.​

screen1.jpg
screen2.jpg

screen3.jpg
Picsart_22-08-11_00-56-13-448.jpg

a51a9e14188c55b55b699ccf5c4bf359.gif
a90a2016d9d88d8559ff53fe041c46bb.gif

(Gameplay) Questions

The game might not be compatible with your system.
Please let us know in our Discord so that we may be able to get it working together.

Sadly, the engine doesn't run on all computers, especially old ones or with some integrated graphics.
We are very sorry if this is the case for you and hope you'll have another laptop or phone available that does run the game.
The game will save your progress after interacting with something, battling or opening the status screen.
The saves are only for continuing your run; ending a run deletes the save.
The world generator starts when you start the game and runs in the background.
Multiple runs without restarting the game will be in the same world. Enjoy exploring!
Once you finish a run (by either dying or winning) the cinematic will be automatically skipped.
You can have a maximum of 3 battlers at a time.
Every battler has two customisable move slots and one base move.
Battlers that have fallen are out of the game and can't be brought back.
PP is limited, but there should be plenty of moves if you look around. :)
Try finding new moves to replace your old ones.
Types form a perfect circle where every type can use the moves
of that type plus one extra type.
For example:
Normal can use Normal and Ghost.
Ghost can use Ghost and Poison.
Poison can use Poison and Water, etc.
You can find all combinations in this chart:

movechart.png
lineup.png

Attribution
LKaljis - Design & Graphics [Twitter]
Ronsku - Level & Gameplay
Sipondo - Infrastructure & Battles
and our dog Maini for emotional support.

Don't Go, Pikachu! is a game written in Ulix Dexflow. This framework is still in heavy development and our efforts
are now available as contributions to the framework. As we are using a different engine than most we've made a non-exhaustive list
to clarify what work we've worked on this jam.
Please feel free to contact us if you feel anything is missing from this list.

All graphics as featured in the resource pack
Features unique to this game such as the changes to the battle system, permanent items and upgraded moves
Level generation and running the level generator in the background
Battles in a format that works for Android, not just Windows
All move animations, though some are based on previous work

Credits
Don't Go, Pikachu! was made by:
LKaljis - Design & Graphics
Ronsku - Level & Gameplay
Sipondo - Infrastructure & Battles
and our dog Maini for emotional support.

With further credits to:

[[CORE]]
[Ulix]
Sipondo
Ronsku
Boltzy
Nikkiamvg
Rhaidor

Special thanks to the ModernGL and Kivy communities for their neverending support.

[Dexflow]
Sipondo
Ronsku
Boltzy
Mischtogan
Nikkiamvg

[[Sound and Music]]
[ENLS's Pre-Looped Music Library (Background music)]
@ENLS
@KrakerwatYT
@Thundaga

[Sounds effects from Golden Sun]

[[Essentials Resources]]
[Following Pokemon EX (Pokemon sprites)]
Golisopod User
Help-14
zingzags
Rayd12smitty
mej71
PurpleZaffre
Akizakura16
Thundaga
Armin (Fairies Resource Pack)
Maruno

[Essentials (general artwork and sound effects)]
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
Luka S.J. and everyone else who helped out

[EBDX (Battle Sprites)]

GameFreak | Original sprites from B/W/2 games
Pokecheck.org | Ripping the sprites from B2/W2 roms
PinkCatDragon | GIF to PNG conversion

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made framework.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Resource Pack
https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/1008/

Last edited:

Kaljis

Rookie
I hope you all find this game as much fun to play as it was for me to make!
And if you happen to come across snowy nurse Joy say hi from me :) she is my favorite<3

Sipondo

Don't Go, Pikachu! & Ulix Dexflow framework
We've just updated Don't Go, Pikachu! to version v1.06, fixing a whole array of bugs and crashes. Happy chasing Pikachu!

EDIT 12th of August: We've figured out why the game didn't work for some people on AMD hardware. Version 1.07 should work if combined with the latest AMD driver (the Optional one instead of the WHQL one): https://gyazo.com/cbdf931ebca3d93d550a8caab3ef2157 (Adrenalin 22.8.1 Optional). Thank you user Bill Gate for reporting the bug!

Last edited:

Sipondo

After a lot of testing we managed to get the game running on a range of previously unsupported hardware, including Intel Integrated Graphics. :)
Version 1.08 contains these fixes plus some additional small fixes to the game itself. Happy chasing Pikachu!

Sipondo

Sorry for all the final updates, but we've fixed some more bugs found by people playing the game, including Teem and Tomix9tomix.
We've fixed battlers sometimes going invisible, some tile errors, and the confusion move incorrectly being able to roll status effect prefixes.

This'll be the last update for a while (1.10), but the game should be in a really good place now! Thank you all and enjoy!

On my 2nd attempt I've gone and won a run, wahooo! If you're reading this and you like roguelites where you get to build specific builds which influence how you play.
Some thoughts:
I think the thing that this game excels at the most is "the builds". The items really give you so many branches to take you team on. You can focus on building a team around a type, around a certain stat, around damage over time statuses. It's really cool stuff, and it's that kind of stuff that really makes a roguelite interesting and increases replayability.

The items are all quite cool, and I like that there are some real unique ones that really change up your game in cool ways, for example, everstone. That thing is so tempting but I know it can also screw me over so badly. I love it.

And to note on graphics, I liked it for the most part, I like that the team went through the effort to make unique character portraits that all exude personality, and the environments themselves were spectacular. I loved all the tiles and the interesting landmarks in them. The giant onix, and iced over houses. Lovely stuff. And speaking of environments, the battle scene itself was really cool, it felt so dynamic the way it changes your pov between who is attacking. And the battle background were always beautiful. I loved that raquazza overhead in the last map.

So yeah! Really cool game, and it is really cool to see something not built on RPGMaker, lovely stuff! Main real suggestions I have just involve working on the UI but that's pretty minor. I thought the pokemon select screen when you gain a party member could use an arrow or just something to indicate that you have multiple choices, and it would be nice to see a status symbol when a pokemon is afflicted.

But yeah, I love rougelites, I love this game! Very cool very innovative! Be proud of it!

Sipondo

Awesome that you guys had a blast! I'll be back from vacation in about a week and we'll be fixing some reported bugs and accessibility issues that weekend. :)

Sipondo

...Main real suggestions I have just involve working on the UI but that's pretty minor. I thought the pokemon select screen when you gain a party member could use an arrow or just something to indicate that you have multiple choices...
I'm back from my vacation and we've made a small patch that fixes some instability issues and adds an arrow indicator to help people out on these interfaces! Thank you everybody for reporting these issues so we can make the game more enjoyable :)

arrows_simple.png

Sipondo

We've started development on the new version of Ulix Dexflow (and a new post-jam version of DGPikachu using this new engine version), which includes some big changes inspired by what we've learned from developing DGPikachu!
In the meantime, however, we've made a big bugfix patch (v1.12) fixing issues reported by the player base:
  • Overhauled how battlers are rendered, improving loading times during gameplay and increasing compatibility with weaker devices.
    • This also serves as a permanent fix for the disappearing battler issue, replacing any hotfixes.
  • Reduced the duration of some notoriously long battle animations (Ice Shard, Twineedle, Mud Shot).
  • Fixed text clipping issues in the action selection screen.
  • Altered the (battle) UI to be more in line with other pkmn games:
    • Health bar colours now turn yellow and red when a battler is low on HP.
    • There are now status indicators underneath the health bars.
    • STAB moves have a differently tinted selection box.
    • Added types to the battler overview screen.
  • You can now see whether you've beaten the game with the selected starter (star pieces).

Back