• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed GALMI

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
DG1wlqpXsAAaB9q.jpg

GALMI is an experimental sort of a game, we wanted to tell a narrative in a unique structure, while playing within the boundaries of the Pokemon world.
In Hebrew, GALMI (גלמי) means "My Golem." In the bible, it is that raw essence of man, the very light of existence.
In GALMI, the player travels through millions of years, looking at how humanity evolves, and reacts to threats. GALMI is a short game, it shouldn't take more than 40 minutes to complete. It is HIGHLY recommended that you play GALMI with the sound on!

Screenshot_1.png

Screenshot_3.png

Screenshot_4.png

Screenshot_2.png

TEAM:
Evan Starr
Scott Geldzahler

Made Using:
Pokémon Essentials and RPGMaker XP
COMBOY's Pokémon Essentials GS Kit

Player Notes:
As stated earlier, please play with sound on.
There's a high chance there's some bugs, so any reports are of course appreciated. That being said, we likely won't make any large updates to GALMI unless there's something gamebreaking and awful we catch, this was just a side project!
Enjoy, and don't be afraid to poke around!

Dev Notes:
Evan and I have now made three games together, and it's always a blast. It's stressful and can feel like a burden at times, but with this being (besides PEG) the first "serious" game we've put out, I'm pretty happy with what we went with. In an ideal world, we had a few things planned out, like an alternate ending, but developing for a Jam is as much about knowing what you can't do as what you can. A few days into actually working on the project (not just when it lived in a Google Document) I asked Evan to, as a goof, show me what it would look like if the screen was super wide. We actually liked the effect, so we ran with it, it wasn't really planned. But it allowed us to be a bit more creative with our mapping, and in the end added to that feeling of isolation we hope the player gets.
A huge thank you to the Relic Castle staff, this is really one of the highlights of the year, and it looks like this Jam is our biggest success yet. I love seeing first time developers release a product, and everyone who entered with something, or who even gave it a go should be immensely proud because its its NOT easy.

I'm proud of this product and I hope I speak for Evan and myself when I say that really hope you enjoy it.

CREDITS:
Game By:
Starrcasm
Shgeldz
Special Thanks:
Our friends and family, of course.
M3rein
Jayrodd
The whole gang at Relic Castle
God II
POKÈMON ESSENTIALS
was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
With contributions from:
MiDas Mike
Boushy
Near Fantastica
Brother1440
PinkMan
FL.
Popper
Genzai Kawakami
Rataime
Harshboy
SoundSpawn
help-14
the__end
IceGod64
Venom12
Jacob O. Wobbrock
Wachunga
KitsuneKouta
xLeD
Lisa Anthony
and everyone else who helped out

"POKÈMON ESSENTIALS GS"
was created by:
COMBOY

3rd, 4rd & 5th generation POKÈMON
devamped sprites made by:
COMBOY
DarkDoom3000
Koolboyman
AkaiIsamu
Neslug
NICKtendo DS
Wes
pokekoks
Mighty Jetters
Alpha Six
Jeremy
Lockerz102
JoshR691
Koopaul
Parasect047
Ike
ClawedNyasu
Layle
SengirDev
Devicho

Special thanks to:
THE SPRITERS RESOURSE
Maruno
FL.
Umbreon
Pia Carrot
kcgcrazy
mej71
out written
kiedisticelixer

"RPG MAKER XP" by:
ENTERBRAIN

Music:
8-Bit: Bach--Well Tempered Clavier: Prelude No. 1
8-bit W. A. Mozart Requiem 8 Lacrimosa:
Transylvania - Ducktales (NES) Music Extended:
Final Fantasy II (NES) Music - Village Theme:
HeroQuest Music (NES) - Title Theme:
Mother Earth - MOTHER:
Fester's Quest - Boss Theme:

DOWNLOAD: https://goo.gl/mU9Ks3
Staff note: the download link is currently unavailable

[btn=modb|bcenter|[URL]https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/124/]RESOURCE[/URL] PACK[/btn]

Last edited by a moderator:
Seeing the history of the regis (a trio I've wondered about for ages) told in GSC style was a fantastic experience! I especially loved how the hero's bird changed in each timeline to match the Regi and the world around it!

I only found one gamebreaking bug-the player can't back out of the cave in the Ice route (the first one they enter on the left path), or else they wind up stuck, because it tries to shove them right back in. (thankfully, it's not very far in the game)
tumblr_oui7a95bbl1w5miaho2_1280.png
I also noticed that Regice and Regigas seem to have a white background on their sprite, which makes the battle intro look a bit odd.
tumblr_oui7a95bbl1w5miaho4_1280.png
It's really minor, though, and doesn't affect most of the battle at all.

Speaking of the Regisprites, were they made for GALMI especially or just included in a pack? The rocks on Regice's sprite looked so much like the painting the hero first reads, I wasn't sure if it was intentional!

Shgeldz

:eyes:
Seeing the history of the regis (a trio I've wondered about for ages) told in GSC style was a fantastic experience! I especially loved how the hero's bird changed in each timeline to match the Regi and the world around it!

I only found one gamebreaking bug-the player can't back out of the cave in the Ice route (the first one they enter on the left path), or else they wind up stuck, because it tries to shove them right back in. (thankfully, it's not very far in the game)
tumblr_oui7a95bbl1w5miaho2_1280.png
I also noticed that Regice and Regigas seem to have a white background on their sprite, which makes the battle intro look a bit odd.
tumblr_oui7a95bbl1w5miaho4_1280.png
It's really minor, though, and doesn't affect most of the battle at all.

Speaking of the Regisprites, were they made for GALMI especially or just included in a pack? The rocks on Regice's sprite looked so much like the painting the hero first reads, I wasn't sure if it was intentional!

Ah darn, that cave thing sucks, but luckily it's early on in the game.
In terms of the sprite backgrounds, yeah, that was a known issue, but we really wanted to get the game out the door. If only we had infinite time, and no jobs/social lives :p
For the Regi sprites, we edited the included Gen 2 Sprites in COMBOY's Gen 2 kit. They're included in the resource pack, along with a few of the beta versions. They're mostly slight recolors, save Ice, who went from Ice/Water to Ice/Ground due to our inability to sprite water well in Gen 2.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Rhyden

Shuckle Kheen
It was pretty cool for the story to be told indirectly with very few words. I know you guys didn't have much time to work on the game and considering that it was pretty good and interesting. Also, two of the birds are my favorites flying types so that's a personal plus from me.

And on the off-chance nobody's told you yet, you can walk on the roofs in the iron age.

Shgeldz

It was pretty cool for the story to be told indirectly with very few words. I know you guys didn't have much time to work on the game and considering that it was pretty good and interesting. Also, two of the birds are my favorites flying types so that's a personal plus from me.

And on the off-chance nobody's told you yet, you can walk on the roofs in the iron age.
Yeah, that roof thing is a heartbreaker, since we had it fixed, but lost some of the changes and I didn't realize it. In the end, we didn't even need to make those tiles passible in the first place, since the entire roof scene was just a cutscene. Glad you liked the sparse storytelling, and we managed to get some of your favorites in there!

Also lowkey is Porygon-Z a bird?

I feel like the Porygon line takes a turn towards "ducks" with PG2

This is a really cool game. I love how the narrative is pretty simple, but because you're just dropped in there's a feeling of having to figure it out as you go, and honestly I'm not 100% sure what happened at the end there.

I've got a non-spoilery critique though, if the battle scene is going to be setup like this:
GhkpfGD.png

I think it would've made more sense to swap the battle boxes, they're way closer to the opposite pokemon than the one they're displaying info for.

Shgeldz

This is a really cool game. I love how the narrative is pretty simple, but because you're just dropped in there's a feeling of having to figure it out as you go, and honestly I'm not 100% sure what happened at the end there.

I've got a non-spoilery critique though, if the battle scene is going to be setup like this:
GhkpfGD.png

I think it would've made more sense to swap the battle boxes, they're way closer to the opposite pokemon than the one they're displaying info for.
So we had tried that along with a few other things.

If time were infinite and our ability to code/redo animation were better, I was thinking a setup like this:
e2wnGOg.png

I had a lot of fun playing it on stream today. It was an interesting ride and I really dug how experimental the narrative was. It leaves me wondering if maybe we'll see more fan games try this sort of thing in the future. I welcome that, it was neat to think about it afterwards.

I've already mentioned my critiques on stream but I'll throw them on here too:
  • Decreasing the encounter rates (especially in caves) would be very welcome
  • Having the ending 'loop' would have been very cool, though not necessary
Looking back on it, I think it's a cool game. With something like the above tweaks and maybe some extra polish, this would be something extra special. If you decide to do any updates for it with some extra tweaks, I can see giving it another go for sure.

Back