• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Magikarp Jump

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Game Title: Magikarp Jump

Game Screenshots:
QN9KC1i.png

gzVP8Bm.png

a85ymKP.png

lLPLiFG.png

zMSsMv5.png

aRLeJ9M.png

Features:
  • Magikarp Forms
  • The ability to purchase Pokémon
  • Familiar faces from the community
  • "State-of-the-art" battling system
  • At least 1 hour worth of content
Description: Magikarp Jump was created for the 3rd annual Relic Castle Game Jam. Inspired by the mobile game by the same title, Magikarp Jump is a game where you, the protagonist, is trying to make his way to the top by becoming the Magikarp Jump Champion. There are three tournaments that must be overcome in order to reach this title. The game includes a lot of poorly written jokes, since they were made by me. This is my first public game, so please don't expect too much from me, but I do hope that you will enjoy this project I've been working on.

Download: https://mega.nz/#!hYwSxD5K!zWb6Rl6cTkRQQ9xAJFzcCD4JIxHeCahiZo-BvJp3d3A

Made Using:
Pokémon Essentials

Team:
Just me (Presley)

Notes:
  • Involves a whole lot of backtracking, if you're into that.
  • You can talk to your invisible Pokémon from time to time
  • Pidgeotto freezes up the game sometimes
Resource Pack: https://mega.nz/#!4EJHBajJ!ntwuFbhik8habCFQrW14c3YMLslPj1NFkRbOZTRwCS8

Credits:
Team
Presley
Atomic Reactor (Used Rose Gold as a base)

Sprites & Tiles
Nintendo/Gamefreak
Tilesets from Rose Gold by Atomic Reactor
(Zeo
Dragoon
Magic-Scarf
The-Red-eX
TheGreatBlaid)

Music
Pokeli
Lerverto

Modular Pause Menu
Luka S. J.

Following Pokemon Script
Help-14
zingzags
Rayd12smitty
Venom12
mej71

Bunch of Scripts
Kleinstudio

Additional Help
Relic Castle Members

Pokémon Essentials
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno
With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
Harshboy
Rataime
help-14
SoundSpawn
IceGod64
the__end
Jacob O. Wobbrock
Venom12
KitsuneKouta
Wachunga
Lisa Anthony
xLeD
and everyone else who helped out

RPG Maker XP
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

Last edited:

Presley

Fastest Man Alive
Oh my... This is something I need in my life, thank you. I'll make sure to give this a play, it looks like a fun time.
Haha, glad you feel that way!

Legitimately when you first shared screenshots of this it became my most anticipated Jam Game. Very happy it was finished, can't wait to play!
I'm actually really happy that this was your most anticipated Jam Game! And I'm really glad and relieved I managed to finish it as well.

I'm gonna preface this comment by saying that I've never played the other Magikarp Jump.

I've played through my first tournament in Mandibuzz Gorge, so here's my thoughts on the game that far. mostly I think it's really charming and fun, but at the same time I'm confused about a lot of aspects...

• Why can't I have multiple Magikarp and then choose which to train and battle with? Or maybe just toss back a Magikarp i fished up and try for a different one?
  • What's with the huge grass patches when there's no encounters or traditional battles?
So...The Fisherman can't be interacted with at all, he just lets me wander through his house whenever. When I tried to fish up my very first Magikarp, it actually took 3 tries; after playing more I'm okay with the long fishing times because the game is so relaxed, but for that very first time it was really off putting. A kinda odd choice I noticed was the door having to be interacted with and asking for a confirmation before going into any buildings.

z0cAs5n.png

There's no prompt on this door at all? Even if it's locked, it feels weird to have no interaction at all after all the other doors are the opposite.

I do like all the writing and dialogue though, the fourth wall breaking stuff like the blank signs and the monk who says "Enter text here" are both pretty funny.
fU2X1yq.png

Not sure this one was intentional though.

The items on the ground are pretty cool! Is it actually random what's inside? I found one that was a Voltorb and immediately got my first Magikarp killed...Anyway, one more screen of a passability error I found:
bugXVEr.png

I kept checking out ponds to see if there were any others I could fish from, but nah.

Presley

Fastest Man Alive
I'm gonna preface this comment by saying that I've never played the other Magikarp Jump.

I've played through my first tournament in Mandibuzz Gorge, so here's my thoughts on the game that far. mostly I think it's really charming and fun, but at the same time I'm confused about a lot of aspects...

• Why can't I have multiple Magikarp and then choose which to train and battle with? Or maybe just toss back a Magikarp i fished up and try for a different one?
  • What's with the huge grass patches when there's no encounters or traditional battles?
So...The Fisherman can't be interacted with at all, he just lets me wander through his house whenever. When I tried to fish up my very first Magikarp, it actually took 3 tries; after playing more I'm okay with the long fishing times because the game is so relaxed, but for that very first time it was really off putting. A kinda odd choice I noticed was the door having to be interacted with and asking for a confirmation before going into any buildings.

z0cAs5n.png

There's no prompt on this door at all? Even if it's locked, it feels weird to have no interaction at all after all the other doors are the opposite.

I do like all the writing and dialogue though, the fourth wall breaking stuff like the blank signs and the monk who says "Enter text here" are both pretty funny.
fU2X1yq.png

Not sure this one was intentional though.

The items on the ground are pretty cool! Is it actually random what's inside? I found one that was a Voltorb and immediately got my first Magikarp killed...Anyway, one more screen of a passability error I found:
bugXVEr.png

I kept checking out ponds to see if there were any others I could fish from, but nah.

Thank you for all of the feedback, it really means a lot.

To address your first question, I was planning on having this feature, but I wasn't too sure on how to work out the Trainer Rank EXP System. You see, to level up your Trainer Rank, you either fish up a new Magikarp or you reach maximum level with your Magikarp. Because you gain EXP from fishing up a new Magikarp, I decided not to allow players to "re-fish." If I can find another way, or perhaps, have someone help me work out an EXP system, I may be able to add this in the future.

Next up, the grass patches are actually there for risk-takers. Pretty much, when you step into grass, there's a chance that a Pidgeotto can swoop in and swipe your Magikarp away, similar to the Voltorb event.

For the Fisherman, the beginning parts of the game were really so that I could play around with the concept and create the mechanics of the game. I really just moved on from there and just worked on the other parts, which probably wasn't the best idea. Also, fishing up Magikarp is purely randomized as well, so I'm afraid you may have just had bad luck with fishing, thus costing a lot of time. Addressing the sign and the door, again, I really just moved on from Hoppy Town and didn't thoroughly look through there, sadly. I am glad that you enjoyed the fourth-wall humor, though!

I had some problems with the tiles, especially since the day of the end of the Game Jam, I renamed the tile graphics and lost all of the tileset data. I had to re-do everything and I probably messed up on that part. Working with those trees are pretty tricky for me. I hope that wasn't too much of an issue and I definitely plan on fixing these little errors.

Also, I was planning on adding little ponds in each/most of the towns to fish up Magikarp to get rid of the some of the backtracking, but I decided to limit it to Hoppy Town. At the time, I thought that it would cause some game breaking event to occur, but now when I think about it, the way I set up the ponds wouldn't even allow that. I probably will add this in the future.

Again, I absolutely appreciate the feedback and I'm thankful that you took the time to check out this project I've put a lot of time and effort into!

SmokedPaprika

Stinky Person
So, I just played the game on-stream, and I sort of failed to actually record the stream (I'm really, really sorry - I didn't notice until I was literally finishing the stream up.)

So... you gotta work on making the game less of a slog to get through - I'm repeating the same exact events over and over again with nothing particularly interesting or fun happening in the game itself, or in-between the events.

Running back to the Pokemon Center every time I try to train Magikarp is not the way to bump up the amount of time it takes for me to play through the game. The app game worked because it allowed you to sit back and take a break in-between matches, and when you'd come back, you'd be able to do more. I don't have that luxury here. I can't wait for the fun stuff to come back. I'm just forced to wait while I press the up-button so I can train again, just to go back to the center.

Also, trainer rank is way, way too slow here. I don't want to play through the same event knowing the way it will end every time as I wait for my trainer rank to increase again. Once again, the app gets away with making you play it like this because it's addictive - after taking a break from the game there's a lot you're allowed to do, and you get to see numbers skyrocket in a fascinating manner. Here, I'm just playing a waiting game that requires consistent physical activity on my part to get past a roadblock leading to little-to-no interesting story, so it's hard for me to be motivated to continue onwards.

Those were my two main complaints with the game - I hope this helps, and you should re-consider your approach towards it's mechanics. I'll leave you with that.

jirachi4life

Rookie
its my first time using reliccastle do I need to install the resource pack and what emulator is this for? gba nds?

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
hey, i just wanted to say that you created something unique here, albeit based on an existing game, it's another game all it's own.

while it does have issues, with it's grind and it's bugs, i like what you tried to do in the span of a month, it's nice to see other pokemon get the spotlight than just Pikachu.

AlphaArk

Rookie
It is a great and fun game overall.. except that levelling up trainer rank is very slow. I hope you can fix that ..

Presley

Fastest Man Alive
It is a great and fun game overall.. except that levelling up trainer rank is very slow. I hope you can fix that ..
Glad to hear that. Unfortunately, I don't think that I'm going to be making any updates to this project. It was more of an experimental type thing as I wanted to see what I could do other than the traditional Pokemon game.

Back