• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Other Should a fangame have fakemon or regional variants?

This thread's author wants feedback. Be constructive.

Little Corporal

Novice
Should a fangame fakemon/regional variants and if so does it need to have them? More specifically a fangame that diverges from the standard Pokemon game format and goes for a more plot and story driven game. I not sure whether I should attempt to put some sort of fake megas or regional variants in my fangame. I am mostly worried about whether the game will seem like it lacks new content without them or the game will be cluttered and filled with too much that takes away from the overall narrative with them.

Upvote 0

StarWolff

Cooltrainer
y e s
at least in my opinion lol
new Pokémon, being originals, regional variants, forms or megas really bring more interest and diversity to the game. So you should try, being good at spriting or not. Of course, you don't need to do 200 of them :)

SkyArmyRecru1t

Pokémon Master
It doesn't NEED them. Adding them is fine and can be cool if you want them, but fakemon isn't what makes a fangame good, especially if you're going for a more story driven game, that should be the bigger thing you worry about. However, I'd say just go for it if you want some, it wouldn't hurt to throw in a few new ones if you can make them

Asrielle

Rookie
Like previously said, they aren't necessary but can be a nice addition.
If you have fun creating new mons than go for it but if the creating process frustrates you or you simply aren't confident in your results, just leave them out.
You could make 1 or 2 Fakemons to give it a try and see if it works for you.

Crow

Rookie
If you ask me, fakemon and regional variants, while the bare minimum of nee content, are always a treat. It's the one thing everyone does differently, so I say go for it!

NiiKitty

Rookie
I like them - so long as the designs are well done and the sprites fit in with the pokemon style

That said, they aren't an absolute requirement and I've enjoyed games without them

Hexcalliber

Cooltrainer
im kinda in between. Sure like all the post before me wrote, a game dont need them to be good nor having them mean the game is good, still having them would be nice. BUT and this is a huge one, i think the dev should only add them if they can do them well. Dont get me wrong, i appriciate all the work a person/team put into a game and like i said above a game dont need them to be good nor having them mean the game will be good. All im saying that i would rather have a game ith no fakemon/regional variant than having them but does nothing beside just changing its colour and type or add a poorly animated sprite like ms paint a boxing glove on a pokemon and call it a fighting type . Espicially when we have such amazing fakemon/regional variants like in insurgence or xenoverse

catchneko

average goomy enjoyer
All im saying that i would rather have a game ith no fakemon/regional variant than having them but does nothing beside just changing its colour and type or add a poorly animated sprite like ms paint a boxing glove on a pokemon and call it a fighting type . Espicially when we have such amazing fakemon/regional variants like in insurgence or xenoverse
129.png
129p.png

In my defense, wtf am I supposed to do with this fish, give it a gun?
940084765665677313.png

Buckle

Rookie
Its always fun to have new pokemon. One of the best parts of fangames to me is seeing what new evos or fakemon people come up with.

Simeo

Normal-Type Self Proclamed Expert
I like more regional variants than pure fakemons, because regional variants are less disturbing and have been accepted in the main games, so it's like a path to be more creative without being off limits. Pure fakemons tend to be annoying, especially when they're boss battle, or there are too much of them.
Or at least, I can tolerate fakemons as boss when the game is slightly harder than vanilla games, but in the games that make challenge one of their selling points, I'd rather battle regional variants of preexisting pokemon than pure fakemons as boss.

Back