• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Suggestions for a new computer

Kamkam10302005

Novice
I'm trying to get a new computer that's capable of running games that use Essentials V20. Does anyone have any suggestions that are affordable, have a graphics card compatible with mkxp, and have a good amount of storage?

Last edited:

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
RPG Maker XP games will run on pretty much any Windows computer newer than about 2009, so you might want to narrow your criteria a bit.

D

Deleted member 1065

Not really. Essentials v20 games can run on anything that is newer than 2009. RMXP game don't always run very good on any computer unless you modify the game for it or use a Pentium / Celeron powered computer. (Because RMXP is made to run on such CPU).

For the suggestion it depends what you need as computer, laptop or desktop and also the price you want to put in it. Overall todays computer are very expensive, my computer costed me 900€ (including the screen) 2.5 year ago, today it's like 1300€. Regardless I can play v20 games with no issue since the dev did a great job optimizing the rendering :)

My specs are:
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600
  • GPU: AMD RX570
  • RAM: 32GB DDR4 (you can take 16GB, I have special workflow that requires crazy amount of memory)
  • Motherboard: TUF B450-PRO GAMING
  • PSU: Corsaire VS650
  • HDD: Toshiba HDWD120 (2TB, it has 6Gbps of bandwidth and it's very fast)
  • SSD: Toshiba TR200 (if you can afford taking a M2, take a M2)

Essentials runs at max framerate (120FPS) without any issue (except when it's loading stuff but it's normal and don't cause any issue in the gameplay experience).

The clues that you'd need to choose your computer are the following:
  • RAM: >= 16GB (or 8GB if you run on Linux) Frequency >= 2400MHz
  • CPU: 4 or 6 cores @3.4GHz (making 8 or 12 threads but cores are way more important than threads).
  • GPU: Anything that is like GTX970 just find one that has two fan and that doesn't cost crazy amount of money
  • PSU: 650W is enough if you take low spec components.
  • MB: You need to have the same socket than your CPU. If you take Intel CPU, good luck because they change the socket every year now. If you don't want to make mistake, choose the MB that explicitly says your CPU is supported.
  • Drives: 1 SSD (500GB is enough), 1 HDD (2TB is enough too).
  • OS: Windows 10 or Pop!_OS or Ubuntu (but not Windows 11, avoid that garbage OS)

If you want a laptop, just take RAM and CPU into consideration. Look if you have SSD+HDD with enough storage (120GB + 500GB is good). And for the graphics, just avoid Intel UHD, any Nvidia or AMD GPU will do the job.

SkyArmyRecru1t

Pokémon Master
Really anything will do. The reply above mine is extreme overkill for Essentials, though it would be good if you're planning to do things other than Essentials I guess. But really, anything semi-recent will do the trick just fine. It's all just silly little sprite based RPGs made in a 20 year old game engine, so it doesn't take much at all to get them running. But if you want more specific recommendations, I'd say at least an intel i5 processor (more recent i3s might also work now that Essentials has updated to run better but it used to be hit or miss back when I had one), 8GB RAM but I doubt you'll find anything lower than that, there's no Essentials game that's gonna need more than 2GB at most anyway, and for graphics card really anything would work I guess, but if you want to do more gaming than just Essentials or other RMXP stuff, look into getting at least a GTX 1050 (or whatever AMD's equivalent would be)

D

Deleted member 1065

My specs sucks for Essentials games that are not v20 but that wasn't the question of the topic so I kind of agree with you Sky :)

Regarding memory, on my computer having Discord and Chrome with 5 tabs uses 5GB alone. When I'm working on my computer I'm around 12GB of memory usage. (I can go up to 26GB with huge workflow).
Today's software tends to use a lot of memory (discord = 260+MB, Chrome =1+GB, Windows defender = ~160MB when idle). 8GB is kind of OK but it's also very restrictive and might hit the pagination file quite often which leads to lower performances (even if your CPU has 54654564654 cores that runs at 99THz).

So you can buy a single stick of 8GB now and upgrade later with an identical stick if you need more memory (no dual channel but it's not like Essentials run only 1 thread).

Note1: I had 16GB on my work laptop (single stick) and when the project started to be heavy I bought an additional 16GB stick to be able to work (like 1.5year after) :)
Note2: I do not have pagination file enabled because I have 32GB of memory, that could explain the huge memory usage.

Back