• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokémon Star Prodigy

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Demo
Project Version
splash.png

Hello! I'm Vivethen and this is my first ever pokemon fan game that I've ever created.
With two years of free time due to the pandemic, I've learned how to create a pokemon game, and I have finally finished half of it... Yup, only half of it.

Since this game went into development two years ago, it is very easy to see the improvement in quality of the maps, and story as the game progresses.
I hope you give my game a shot and don't quit too early since it really starts getting good (and better made) around the second gym area.

Download Version 2.0.1 Here!

Don't forget to download the fonts in the fonts file to your computer

About My Game
  • Travel the vast Fenola Region to complete the the gym challenge while also encountering new rivals and foes!
  • Currently 5 gyms available with the plan of eventually having the standard 8 gyms
  • Learn about the Fenola Region's past and the threat that the villainous Team Meteor is bringing upon the region.
  • Pokemon from generations 1-5 are all available to capture
  • Encounter a new variant of already existing pokemon and discover the cause behind their making.
  • Find new moves, abilities, and mega evolutions never seen before in the Fenola Region.
  • 20+ hours of content available (This play time is an estimate since my main play testers took about 50 hours to 100% this game. This includes optional content as well).

It's finally time! You have turned 10 years old and you are off to complete the the gym challenge! On the way you'll meet different rivals, though one seems to have a mysterious backstory that he prefers to hide. As you continue your journey, the international police from the Sinnoh Region, Looker, continuously asks for your assistance to solve the mystery of what the villainous Team Meteor is plotting. Although unclear why, you soon begin to also see new regional variants of already existing pokemon around the region, but it seems that nobody recognizes them. What could be the reason behind all of this? Only time will tell as your journey unravels today!

A Sneak Peak of Some of the New Trainers You May Encounter

trainer091.png
trainer099.png
trainer102.png
trainer095.png

So far the number of newly created pokemon sprites is low, so none of them will be spoiled :)

SS1.PNG
SS2.PNG
SS3.PNG
SS4.PNG
SS5.PNG
SS6.png

The game starts off slow (due to my lack of experience in game development) but as you progress, the game should become more polished and better made.

Credits
Made using Pokemon Essentials on RPG Maker XP
Game Lead & Developer:
Vivethen Balachandiran

Art Assets Made By:
Vaseeka Balachandiran
Tristantine The Great
HauntedArtStudio
AveonTrainer
Wraitex
Lava-Plume
Hek-el-grande
Kaliser
PrincessPhoenix
YuukiMokuya
Phyromatical
KingTapir
WilsonScarloxy
Carchagui
Magiscarf
CNickC
Alucus
Minorthreat0987
EVoLiNa
Kyle-Dove
PurpleZaffre
Akizakura16
LuxDiablo
Thundaga
Candy--Psycho
Amethyst
Jan
Will
Veenerick
chasemortier
JoshR69kidkatt
ShinxLuver
Dr Shellos
Getsuei-H
Kidkatt
Smeargletail
Alex
Noscium
Leparagon
N-kin
fishbowlsoul90
princess-phoenix
DatLopunnyTho
Conyjams
kaji atsu
The cynical poet
LuigiPlayer
Pokefan2000
The Cynical Poet
Greyenna
Brylark
Leparagon
Princess Phoenix
Gnomowladn
Bryancct
Tinivi
Julian

Soundtrack Credits:
Zame

Scripting Utilities:
Luka S.J.
Marvin
Zeak6464

Special Thanks To The Beta Testers:
Vaseeka Balachandiran
Nivetha Kuruparan
Mekhavi Kuruparan
Nisanth Thavarajah

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
help-14<s>Rataime
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Update 2.0.1 Patch Notes
  • Fixed many early-game softlocks where cutscenes were broken if a battle was lost during one
  • Removed unnecessary files to reduce the size of the game download

If you have any suggestions, improvements, or any bugs arise, then feel free to put them in the comments!

I hope my first game ends up being fun and interesting to you! Thanks for checking this page out!

I'm a busy university student so my development time is limited. Don't expect a new update in a while, but whenever it comes, it should either finish the game, or be at minimum 75% complete!
March 2020 - January 2022 + still going

Attachments

• SS4.PNG
    SS4.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Vivethen

Novice
I hope you all enjoy Pokemon Star Prodigy!

Once my game is 100% complete, I will fix up the early game since it is bland in comparison to the other sections at the moment.

Let me know what you thought of my game in the comments!

What did you like best? What could be improved? I'm very curious!

Vivethen

Novice
Please make the game a completed I love it
Wow! Did you already complete it!? I thought it would be at least 20 hours of content haha. But for sure, it will slowly be completed but university will be slowing it down quite a bit. This could take over 2 years to finish for all I know...

niv

Rookie
WOW this is a very good game even though it's only halfway completed. The storyline is super funny and interesting and the game gets better the further you go along. Everyone should definitely check it out!! 😀

POkemonmaster123

Rookie
View attachment 8436

Hello! I'm Vivethen and this is my first ever pokemon fan game that I've ever created.
With two years of free time due to the pandemic, I've learned how to create a pokemon game, and I have finally finished half of it... Yup, only half of it.

Since this game went into development two years ago, it is very easy to see the improvement in quality of the maps, and story as the game progresses.
I hope you give my game a shot and don't quit too early since it really starts getting good (and better made) around the second gym area.

Download Version 2.0.1 Here!

Don't forget to download the fonts in the fonts file to your computer

About My Game
  • Travel the vast Fenola Region to complete the the gym challenge while also encountering new rivals and foes!
  • Currently 5 gyms available with the plan of eventually having the standard 8 gyms
  • Learn about the Fenola Region's past and the threat that the villainous Team Meteor is bringing upon the region.
  • Pokemon from generations 1-5 are all available to capture
  • Encounter a new variant of already existing pokemon and discover the cause behind their making.
  • Find new moves, abilities, and mega evolutions never seen before in the Fenola Region.
  • 20+ hours of content available (This play time is an estimate since my main play testers took about 50 hours to 100% this game. This includes optional content as well).

It's finally time! You have turned 10 years old and you are off to complete the the gym challenge! On the way you'll meet different rivals, though one seems to have a mysterious backstory that he prefers to hide. As you continue your journey, the international police from the Sinnoh Region, Looker, continuously asks for your assistance to solve the mystery of what the villainous Team Meteor is plotting. Although unclear why, you soon begin to also see new regional variants of already existing pokemon around the region, but it seems that nobody recognizes them. What could be the reason behind all of this? Only time will tell as your journey unravels today!

A Sneak Peak of Some of the New Trainers You May Encounter

View attachment 8440View attachment 8441View attachment 8442View attachment 8443

So far the number of newly created pokemon sprites is low, so none of them will be spoiled :)

The game starts off slow (due to my lack of experience in game development) but as you progress, the game should become more polished and better made.

Credits
Made using Pokemon Essentials on RPG Maker XP
Game Lead & Developer:
Vivethen Balachandiran

Art Assets Made By:
Vaseeka Balachandiran
Tristantine The Great
HauntedArtStudio
AveonTrainer
Wraitex
Lava-Plume
Hek-el-grande
Kaliser
PrincessPhoenix
YuukiMokuya
Phyromatical
KingTapir
WilsonScarloxy
Carchagui
Magiscarf
CNickC
Alucus
Minorthreat0987
EVoLiNa
Kyle-Dove
PurpleZaffre
Akizakura16
LuxDiablo
Thundaga
Candy--Psycho
Amethyst
Jan
Will
Veenerick
chasemortier
JoshR69kidkatt
ShinxLuver
Dr Shellos
Getsuei-H
Kidkatt
Smeargletail
Alex
Noscium
Leparagon
N-kin
fishbowlsoul90
princess-phoenix
DatLopunnyTho
Conyjams
kaji atsu
The cynical poet
LuigiPlayer
Pokefan2000
The Cynical Poet
Greyenna
Brylark
Leparagon
Princess Phoenix
Gnomowladn
Bryancct
Tinivi
Julian

Soundtrack Credits:
Zame

Scripting Utilities:
Luka S.J.
Marvin
Zeak6464

Special Thanks To The Beta Testers:
Vaseeka Balachandiran
Nivetha Kuruparan
Mekhavi Kuruparan
Nisanth Thavarajah

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy<s>MiDas Mike
Brother1440<s>Near Fantastica
FL.<s>PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami<s>Popper
help-14<s>Rataime
IceGod64<s>SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock<s>the__end
KitsuneKouta<s>Venom12
Lisa Anthony<s>Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

Update 2.0.1 Patch Notes
  • Fixed many early-game softlocks where cutscenes were broken if a battle was lost during one
  • Removed unnecessary files to reduce the size of the game download

If you have any suggestions, improvements, or any bugs arise, then feel free to put them in the comments!

I hope my first game ends up being fun and interesting to you! Thanks for checking this page out!

I'm a busy university student so my development time is limited. Don't expect a new update in a while, but whenever it comes, it should either finish the game, or be at minimum 75% complete!
March 2020 - January 2022 + still going
the game is kinda hard but it still a really great game im litteraly doing a nuzlocke

after defeating the first gym and dealing with commander shine what do you do next?

Kyogesh

Trainer
The Game is nice but the difficulty is so hard, if there are audino trainers or increase in rarecandies in the route the game will be bit better.

Vivethen

Novice
the game is kinda hard but it still a really great game im litteraly doing a nuzlocke

after defeating the first gym and dealing with commander shine what do you do next?
Go into one of the houses in the right side of the city. One of them will progress the story. (I should have made that a bit more clear in hindsight)

Luckily for you there should be plenty of areas to get pokemon for your Nnuzlocke. Good luck! (:

The Game is nice but the difficulty is so hard, if there are audino trainers or increase in rarecandies in the route the game will be bit better.
Noted! I assure you as you get more pokemon that it should become more manageable (hopefully) over time!

POkemonmaster123

Rookie
im sorry im asking a lot of questions the 3rd gym mission is kinda hard you have to find motionless flowers what does that even mean?

Vivethen

Novice
im sorry im asking a lot of questions the 3rd gym mission is kinda hard you have to find motionless flowers what does that even mean?
Ah. Basically some of the flowers are not animated. Like imagine gen 4 vs 5 sprites. Basically the motionless flowers are still sprites while the rest are animated. Hope that helps!

Vivethen

Novice
It Helps But I have only found one motonless flower but the others are all animated
I can assure you they are all there. ( I've double checked way too many times to count!) Just pay attention, and check row by row. I believe in you! (:

Edit: A slow but effective method is to just walk row by row and look in front of your character. Thats how my play tester did it.

Kyogesh

Trainer
Game is so good but level difference is increasing in a drastic phase. Like nearly 10 level difference, it's like we need to use new pokemon every time from the near by routes to defeat a gym, as there is no use of maintaining a constant team even with help of exp.share.

Vivethen

Novice
Game is so good but level difference is increasing in a drastic phase. Like nearly 10 level difference, it's like we need to use new pokemon every time from the near by routes to defeat a gym, as there is no use of maintaining a constant team even with help of exp.share.
Interesting. Both of my testers along with myself seemed to be about the same level as our opponents throughout the game. I guess depending on the number of trainers you fight, the experience gained may be a little less. (Also sections where you battle with a partner give HUGE experience gains even against a few wild pokemon btw.) I'll be sure to think about adding some method to balance the levels of your pokemon like Audino trainers and such in the next big update. (Whenever that may be.)

UltimateNPC

Probably planning something
I've played Star Prodigy up to just after the third gym, and I'd like to give some thoughts and criticisms on my experience so far. I understand that you're aware of many of the flaws with the early game, so I'll try not to nit-pick every little problem I have and just to quickly point out the things that really bothered me. Most of these points will be subjective criticisms, but still criticisms that I feel are quite important.

The story is probably this game's saving grace. I really enjoy the concept of regional variants being created by force and utilised by the enemy team. The Pokémon all look well-thought-out and interesting, and variants are always fun as a whole. I chose my starter to be Squirtle because it's very rare for a fan-game to offer Squirtle without Charmander or Bulbasaur, and I was overjoyed when I saw its variant in the final form. When regional variants were first introduced in S&M, I would make up variants on my own because I found the concept so fascinating, and one of my favourites variants to consider was a Water/Electric Blastoise, because of how great it would be, so I can't tell you how pleased I was with that. I also enjoy that you utilise a variety of environments, and revisiting the home-town and reusing basic characters like the player's mother in the story was something I rarely ever see in other fan-games, it was a lovely touch. Looker is as great as ever, of-course.

Now, as for the gameplay, rather than a paragraph I'm just going to quickly list off my major issues with it.
1. Battles are rather tedious, the lack of any real interesting items at first gives me no incentive to search, and grinding is very unenjoyable as a whole. These could be fixed by improving the quality or quantity of rewards, and giving people more to do in each area, rather than one or two quests that seem to be locked in a specific order. As for tedious battles, I'm not really sure how you could fix this, nothing comes to mind, though using the newer battle system definitely doesn't help. As I mention later in this 'review', the speed of the game is a big contributor to my tolerance of these issues.
2. Level-scaling is all over the place. In one route the wild Pokémon will be under-levelled compared to my team, and in the next they'll be over-levelled. I never felt any real incentive to build up my team aside from my starter, and when I DID finally acquire an EXP Share, it took me ages just to level up one of them because of the inconsistencies of encounters and trainers to grind with. Having the item version of the share rather than the EXP All only deterred me further, and even now, after the third gym, only half of my time is anywhere near the right level to be utilised against trainers. If an EXP All is not added, I recommend tweaking the levelling of various trainers, and possibly adding some specific trainers in towns/cities which you can battle repeatedly and who are relatively easy to defeat for a high amount of EXP in order to grind. If this knocks the game's balance off, you can add a price to battling each of these trainers.
3. There is a distinct lack of direction after the second gym, and at the point where I've currently stopped playing, I find myself clueless as to where to go between the two directions. At the very least, some hints as to where to go or what each place is would help greatly. Maybe a sign at each turning point?
4. The sprites are infuriatingly inconsistent, with some being ripped straight out of later games for no apparent reason and being shoved into the Generation 3 environment, while others are meticulously designed for the art-style. Comparing Vera and Tyson's sprites, it is night and day, and I find myself incapable of taking the latter seriously. There's no real solution I can provide for this one, only that they REALLY need work, though I'm sure you're aware of that.
5. I'm sure you're not INTENTIONALLY making grammatical mistakes, so I won't nit-pick them, but I will say that especially earlier on, it makes things very difficult to read and understand. Perhaps you could get a proof-reader. Additionally, the use of coloured text for gender is very inconsistent, and throws me off a lot, this could use some work too, though it's not as big of a deal.
6. The music is all over the place, as well as the volume mixing. Some tracks I have to actually turn down the volume on my computer for. The worst case of this is the battles with Sai (I think that's his name), where the music is so loud that it makes my ears hurt. The only advice I can give on this is to simply tweak them and to be very careful with volume mixing, as some people have sensitive ears. My volume is consistently low, and I truly think that if I wore headphones in the moments I'm complaining about, I would have a headache every time.

I kept playing this game despite having so little fun earlier on that I found myself being genuinely enraged by things that were happening, and not in a 'gamer' sense, in a genuine dislike way. I took into account your points about lack of experience, and trusted that things would improve as they progressed, and you were right, they absolutely did become more tolerable as I moved along. The game is still riddled with flaws, some that I didn't even mention like random invisible walls, but at the time of writing this, I am enjoying the game and by no means do I think it is BAD, it is simply flawed, in my opinion. I have no intention of discouraging you from continuing, I truly believe this game has the potential to be remarkable, and the glimpses of greatness I've seen are exactly that - great. My one biggest piece of advice for you would be to add a speed-up key. The early game is a real slog, and even as things become more enjoyable I found myself becoming intensely impatient with everything from wild encounters to dialogue. A speed-up key would help resolve so many of these issues, as the ability to make things move faster would absolutely make the negative aspects of the game more tolerable.

Overall, I hope you don't consider this to be aggressive criticism or hate of any kind, you deserve to have a successful fan-game as much as anyone else, these are just some things that I personally feel need a lot of work. If you weren't previously aware of any of these things that needed fixing, then I hope that I've helped. If you are aware of every single thing I've already said, then I apologise for wasting your time, and either way I wish you good luck with this game going forward. I will follow its development from here on out.

Back