• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Working on a sandbox Pokemon game

mynameisumbreon

Novice
I'm currently working on a project where 99% of the world is open to the player from the start and every Pokemon is obtainable in some capacity. I'm trying to fit as many features as possible into this game to appeal to as many playstyles as possible. My question for the community: What would you like to see out of a game like this? What makes Pokemon fun for you?

Upvote 1

Astefia

Cooltrainer
Lots of beautiful mazes to explore.
But begs the question - how do you keep with the levels? Do areas have levels or are you trying to use auto-leveling?

mynameisumbreon

Novice
Lots of beautiful mazes to explore.
But begs the question - how do you keep with the levels? Do areas have levels or are you trying to use auto-leveling?
I've got a few areas that are hopefully going to be a little more expansive and explorative than just a normal route.
As for leveling, wild pokemon are going to scale to the player's party but trainers will have set levels and, as you get more badges, more trainers will appear in the world at stronger levels. I'm debating about allowing the ability to rebattle trainers.

RafaMinari

Rookie
I'm currently working on a project where 99% of the world is open to the player from the start and every Pokemon is obtainable in some capacity. I'm trying to fit as many features as possible into this game to appeal to as many playstyles as possible. My question for the community: What would you like to see out of a game like this? What makes Pokemon fun for you?
Interesting! But we would construct like minecraft? Also I love megas and contests.

mynameisumbreon

Novice
No, not construction, more like free to catch whatever and have a series of battles leading up to more challenging ones.

Astralneko

Novice
I think including past gimmicks - like Mega Evolution and Z-moves - but not pointing them out to the player might be cool. That way the player is rewarded for exploring this cave with a Normalium-Z or something to make future fights easier. Between the two there's about 85 of these items in canon, and there's no reason there can't be more exclusive Z-Crystals / Mega Evolutions if you can think of some. It'd help make more Pokémon feel more equal to each other, since all Pokémon are available in this game concept, and it would make the world have more stuff in it and seem fuller. Plus, you can sell the game as having all of the last three gens' major gimmicks (or at least the two from the 3DS era).

I also recommend that while most areas have levels based on the player's, maybe make it so that the levels of Pokémon are slightly lower / slightly higher than the party's in certain areas? This would be a good thing in tandem with the first idea to make it so that said cave with a secret item in it seems more like a challenge, to make the Z-crystal more rewarding. (Since the player can have 6 pokemon, and wild pokemon are in parties of one, having slightly higher level Pokemon than the party's in these areas isn't actually a bad thing.)

Back