• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Second Regions

Hematite

Trainer
A concept that I find interesting is that of having a second region in your game, whether a new one altogether or revisiting a past one like in GSCHGSS. It seems like it's a pretty popular feature, so I figure it's worth discussing, right? What did you enjoy about revisiting Kanto? What could be done better? Outside of GSCHGSS and instead moving forward, what advice do you have for second regions in fangames?

Regarding Kanto specifically:

To be honest, contrary to what seems like the popular opinion, I've actually never thought that revisiting Kanto in GSCHGSS was worth the trouble or at all interesting or fun - it was a decent way to pander to nostalgia once, but now everyone is begging for second regions to "come back," and I felt the main quality of the games actually dropped significantly for including Kanto.

First of all, even the main adventure was made awkward by the level curve that had to account for a second region. But at the same time, the revisited Kanto itself was also pretty heavily watered down (especially in GSC, though HGSS sort of fixed this by adding back places like Cerulean Cave, the Seafoam Islands and Viridian Forest), and there was nothing much to do in Kanto other than the second revival of Team Rocket (which was pretty much intended as a joke, what with being led by a single Rocket grunt, said Rocket grunt being a caricature with a funny accent, and comprising a single fetch quest no bigger than any individual encounter with Team Rocket during the main story) and the badge quest.

And then the badge quest itself was cluttered because, aside from Viridian having to be last, it was all dumped on players at once with no order. Which brings me to my main issue: although it seems like Kanto was trying to be open-world, and as nice as it is when games avoid linearity and try to be open world, the reason I didn't like Kanto in GSCHGSS is because it was combined with an utter lack of story and when you're already past the point of getting any progression. The best parts of open-world adventures are that, even when you can go anywhere you want, you're still growing, gaining access to new tools (like moves, HMs or evolutions), and getting more to do, like unlocking sidequests; Kanto was kept from being interesting because you had already done all of this in Johto, so it was basically repeating everything you'd already done but without any of the growth or self-improvement that makes Pokémon games and raising teams so great.

So basically, I don't think Kanto is how you should do it if you're adding a second region at all. While I'm sure an "open-world" concept would work great for a Pokémon game in the hands of someone who wants to try it, the fact that Kanto was postgame kept it from pulling it off well at all and made it all more of an afterthought than a new adventure.

-----

Regarding second regions in general:

With all of that said, I really don't think the idea of a second region is intrinsically terrible, and I'm interested in exploring other ways of doing it.

As I said, by the time you reach the postgame, you're done with evolving, gaining HMs/ways of unlocking progression, learning new moves and so on - you're pretty much done growing for all that standard leveling is going to get you. A spin on a second region that I think might be neat, then, is gradual access to all of the "competitive hub" stuff that everyone loves in postgame. Just like the main region might be dedicated to Gyms or Trials, the second region would have landmarks/points of interest focused on making your team worthy of competitive play - a Route with a Day Care, access to Hyper Training and Bottle Caps (preferably without a level 100 requirement), a town that acts as a convenient hub for EV training, various move tutors, and most importantly, scatter Battle Frontier facilities instead of a second set of Gyms or Trials! You should also likely have a good place to level-grind efficiently later on (like the Black Tower/White Treehollow), but don't make NPCs depend on players using it (probably make it one of the last areas you get). And the items you find along Routes and deep within dungeons could be competitive items like Life Orbs, Power Items and Air Balloons instead of an onslaught of X-Items and Potions!

The idea is that, if you're even in the postgame, your goal is probably not to raise an in-game team, but a competitive or Frontier-based team; Kanto opted to repeat Gyms even though you're already past the point of caring about levels or Badges (with Red being a secret bonus boss, I don't believe you were even given any reason to collect Kanto's Badges at all - you already beat the League), but I feel it would make more sense if, just like the main region is based on training in levels, the second region was based on competitive training instead, preparing you effectively for Battle Facilities and having you face them in a guided fashion similar to the progression of Gyms.

If you're doing a second region, I'd love to see something like this - with a focus on a different of team growth - a lot more than just another eight-Gyms-and-a-League, since we've already done that and our team is maxed out in that sense!

-----

I should point out that I'm personally not doing a second region at all, and I don't think you should ever think about a second region before your main one is all done. This kind of ties into the ongoing discussion of how postgame in fangames generally goes relatively unused and people care a lot less about the postgame of fangames than the main games. Honestly, though, even though I'm not actually doing it, I'm really interested in what everyone thinks! This is a discussion that comes up a lot in the fandom, so I kinda just want to know what everyone here thinks about it and how it can be done other than simply tacking on a second region that plays the same as the first (which is what is usually suggested).

-----

So yeah, what does everyone else think about second regions? Any novel ideas worth sharing? Ways to distinguish from your main region? (And ways to keep it from stepping on your main region's toes?)

Edit: Horizontal rules break things now, so I just caught that part of this was invisible and replaced it with a few hyphens!

Last edited:

Riddle

Novice
Not the biggest fan of them in fan games, but they are really rare to begin with. I've only seen one Essentials game with an entirely new region and I have vague memories of several ROM hacks with either returning to/new regions as well. I'm pretty sure that I remember one hack in particular that gave you the choice of 5 regions you could begin your game with.

They kind of struggle with the same reasons that have been listed already, with the repetitiveness and just overall boring experience it can have with either no conflict or it's just really badly written/handled.

The canon games have only had the second region concept with Kanto, and even as a G/S baby I can safely say it was handled really badly. You hit the points perfectly already, but I'll just add that it really felt like Game Freak was banking on the nostalgia factor and not the genuine game play or relevance to newer players who might have no idea what is going on. In my opinion, I'd much rather get a new secondary region entirely rather than returning to one exactly for the listed reasons.

D

Deleted member 561

I really love second fangames, because they are mostly there, for you to gain a greater bond with your pokemon. Such as in Gold and Silver, really the plot only extends to the end of Johto if I remember. But I think second regions, were probably only shown in the Second Generation and their remakes, because maybe originally that's what they were planning? To be able to to go to different regions, that were previously there, possibly to fill out the pokedex?

One of my favorite rom hacks that has a second region is Pokemon Glazed, it was pretty much amazing back then. Playing through it a few years a go sparked me to make my own fangame. The story was great, pretty much everything was great. I really liked the fact they had multiregions. + One of the earliest fangames, Zeta and Omicron also had 2 regions. They limited the amount of pokemon you could bring from the previous region, if I am not mistaken.

Well my opinion, is that it's gonna be usually hard for fangame creators to put that much effort into their game. People usually think that they will be able to do it. I mean it's worth a shot, but it's so much effort to do that, mostly people just go away with it and just do one region. Multiple regions in the Main Series, might be okay, but depending on the size of the region you are playing in. Like Unova or Hoenn, are pretty big, and we don't need another region to put some more game play.

Another thing, I would rather experience a region I had before, then people just creating a new one, because why not? You get to see the region you played in a year ago, with a whole new perspective. You get to Re experience things. Well that's just my opinion.

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
Well I don't have a pile of well written arguments ... just some thoughts ...

The thing that bugs me about the idea of the second region as it is described in @Hematite's response is that you could defenitely do that in one region. NPC side quests, Battle Frontier challenge, hiding good items that could all be used to form a stronger bond with the actual region. So why put it into a second region to make both regions less memorable?

The only thing that justifies a second region is when it fits into the story. I guess you could see Alola as multiple regions. Different Pokedexes, different Geography, different forms of Oricorio. But it didn't feel off. So when trying to do multiple regions ... maybe look at what sun/moon did right. But Alola islands aren't conpletely isolated to each other like the regions. So one could argue about Alola beeing multiple regions.

Hematite

Trainer
@leilou: Yeah, I definitely agree that you don't need another region for all of that - I mean, I'm hoping/trying to have all of that stuff in my game and it's still within the same region! I just figured it worked better than more Gyms, at least (it seemed like "if the main appeal of a second region is continuing to grow postgame/raising your story team more, why not do that in a way that's still relevant postgame?). Mostly, I meant it less as "have a second region for this purpose" and more as "if you're going to the effort of mapping out a second region anyway, why not use it for this purpose instead of more of the same?" haha.

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
Actually I don't know if I like the idea of second region as Post Game that much ...

I think pokemon mystery dungeon handles second regions pretty well(at least the gba and ds version) ... you get chased out of your comfy zone and the new surroundings support that feeling pretty well. (actually GTA V does the same)

Like in post game means you didn't find a good spot for it to fit into your (main) game ... and if you don't find a good spot for an entire region you should make a second game in my opinion. (Well making a second game is kinda tricky because making just one is tricky enough already but maybe find a team that lacks a mapper)

Taq

Sandwich Master
Ahh... Secondary regions...

Anyway, I remember thinking of this topic multiple times with my work. But this was before I understood the limits of certain things.

Tbh, I don't really think I want to see it, it sorta takes the location you were on for most of the experience out of focus I guess. If it was an island then I guess it's fine, but a full secondary region would be large.

Actually reading Leilou's response, I realized something... That since gen 6, the new generations seperate their pokemon into multiple Dex groups. This makes me believe that could be an alternative to do rather then a full sized region...
One region that is split into chunks.
That way it's still expansive while still keeping a focus. (Apologies for getting off topic).

Anyways, I just remembered some games make their region split into multiple maps, such as uranium where it makes the region split into East and West. This let's you not know certain locations of the region ahead of time while still making your region look complete.

But those are my 2 cents.

Hematite

Trainer
Actually reading Leilou's response, I realized something... That since gen 6, the new generations seperate their pokemon into multiple Dex groups. This makes me believe that could be an alternative to do rather then a full sized region...
One region that is split into chunks.
That way it's still expansive while still keeping a focus. (Apologies for getting off topic).

Oh, that's actually a really interesting idea! Something like the Sevii Islands, you mean? All of them have different Pokémon availability and they're much smaller, more devoted to sidequests than a major, prominent adventure as a collective like the main region, but four of them are postgame, some Legendaries were there (technically only Moltres without events, but still). An island chain that's broken up like that (even spread out surrounding the main region rather than totally separate) is a really good way of giving something more to do without robbing the main region of focus!

ArcWisel

Rookie
The worst thing about secondary regions is that the concept mostly comes as an afterthought when the developer already lost brain-cells from developing the first, main region. It takes lots of work just to figure out the region's lore, history and then connecting it to characters and plot. Out of pressure to produce more content the developer is forced to copy paste the existing regions such as Kanto, Johto, Hoenn. Then he tries to make some semblance of a plot and fails miserably. The region then becomes a tourist spot or a grind-fest with the usual final enemy being Red. The only exception I've played is Zeta.

I could probably only stand 2 regions. As a tip it's best to avoid creating more than you can chew. Long ago I once read an Idea where the OP wanted to create a fangame with 12 Regions. Never heard from him since.

Back