• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Gym Leader's Legacy

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
OVERVIEW:
This is my first Submission in any Game Jam ever.Feedback is appreciated.
(Before this Submission and I messed up,I posted it in Resources section..Thanks to @ThatWelshOne_ for helping me out!😄 )
As for the game,It is somewhat completed but more changes can be made..

CREDITS:

"Pokémon:Gym Leader's Legacy"
A game by ~Askit
Special thanks to -Thundaga
(for "how to make a pokemon game series")

IntroMusic-Pokemon Reborn White peridot(Amethyst)

Some music from Pokemon Sword & Shield.

{INSERTS_PLUGIN_CREDITS_DO_NOT_REMOVE}
"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Boushy MiDas Mike
Brother1440 Near Fantastica
FL. PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami Popper
help-14 Rataime
IceGod64 SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock the__end
KitsuneKouta Venom12
Lisa Anthony Wachunga
Luka S.J.
and everyone else who helped out

"RPG Maker XP" by:
Enterbrain

Pokémon is owned by:
The Pokémon Company
Nintendo
Affiliated with Game Freak

This is a non-profit fan-made game.
No copyright infringements intended.
Please support the official games!

RESOUCES:
Pokemon Essentials Deafult resources were used.

GAME SCREENSHOTS:

SS1.png
SS2.png
SS3.png

SS4.png
SS5.png
SS6.png

LINK:
Pokemon Gym Leader's Legacy

(EDIT)RESOURCE PACK:
Here

Thanks,
~Askit

Last edited:

rhaidor

Novice
I really like the idea of being a Gym Leader waiting for the challangers.
Wish I could choose what type of Gym I want to lead, but if you want the story to be about a Fire type Gym, so be it.
What I think needs improvement is the outside area mapping, everything is really far from each other. For a game type like his, a small compact map would work better.
I know creating a game for the Jam in time and releasing your first game can be stressful, so I congratulate you on tackling this challenge.

Astefia

Cooltrainer
Just tried out your game.
It is the shining example of how the game plot can be incredibly creative and well-done, but one bad detail in the gameplay can make it just annoying and needing some dedication to get anywhere.
Specifically: No Running Shoes! Why am I going everywhere in this slow waddle? Why doesn't the starter kit include them? The city is big enough and confusing at the start.

Please don't take it as a personal attack - instead, as a valid criticism to fix in the next patch.

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
A fun little game with an interesting concept and promising cutscene direction, in which you assume the role of a fire-type gym leader's son taking over for his father. That's a lot of weight on your shoulders...

Thoughts:
- I like the title screen, gets the point across while also having nice character placement. It also kinda gives me "father overshadowing son" vibes, due to how the father is placed

- oak's and MCs sprite have different densities, the easiest way to deal with this is to make sure the sprite is in its 1x1 intended resolution in graphics gale or gimp (each block should be one pixel), and then edit before you resize it. That way it looks consistent and it's also easier to edit! Same goes for the player character OW sprite. That said, I quite like Oak dad sprite.

- small typo "as gym leaders" instead of as a gym leader, also their, not thier. Also vacation not vaccation. "Get in position" too.

- the player's home is a bit big, especially the hallway and there's a couple of unusually placed trees, but aside from that it's pretty much a cool looking map. Wonder why you never see larger houses in games like these

- newer versions of essentials have a cool feature that you can use to cover more than 1 tile with 1 event spanning a certain width. E.g. since you dont want the player to go south at first, you can now only use 1 event to cover a lot of tiles! There might also be a way to prevent the player from walking on grass using terrain tag, though that might require some scripting!

- while Amber City is a bit on the big side, it's well mapped, and for your first submission this is a great map. You also have a good sense of general mapping and your future mapping endeavors are looking promising!

- a level 5 wild armaldo in the grass?? perhaps you wanted to put in anorith instead?

- shouldn't the player start with running shoes? Or is it not working for me?

- kudos for implementing cutscenes in your first jam game! It's not an easy thing to do, and they are also well done, you certainly have a knack for these! The characters also move frequently so they are also expressive!

- usually, characters pop in in a cutscene after the screen has faded out, and then in, so that they don't look like they go POOF! Alternatively, they walk in and out of screen. Try that out with the male gym trainer coming to find you in the cave

- you could have the gym statues say your name, like in the games "Gym Leader: player name"

- nice of you to let the player both save before the fights, and choose whether to heal after each one, it allows those who want an extra challenge to opt out of healing

- that feraligatr scared me, why brendan, why

- haha, looks like brendan uses that poor Ratatta for HMs only!

- well done, never expected to see the nurse actually show up to heal me!

- perhaps have some wild mons be stronger so some players can grind if they want to?

- good thing I found the rare candies, that sasha battle was hard, although you haven't set the difficulty to maximum in the pbs right?

- P O T A T O

- tbh it makes sense for very strong gym leaders to go on to become E4, being too strong wouldn't help with actually training the challengers (that's what a gym is for, right?)

Bugs:

- Some of the ledges right outside your house do not form a full ledge (their northern horizontal parts are missing)

- Some of the mountainous tiles are bugged a bit

- you can walk on the cave entrance (if you havent obtained your kit yet) -- you can set the event to "player touch" and then move the player 1 tile down to fix this

- the "this is not the time to visit" message that shows when you try to enter some of the houses in the northeastern part of the map should play after the player is pushed down (otherwise it looks as if the player is chatting to themselves while hugging the door xD)

- some signs are missing text

- the trees north of the checkpoint are missing their top parts

- small tree next to the mart is missing its top

- you forgot to deactivate several events that prevent you to walk towards the tall grass once you've gotten your pokemon!

- when you enter the cave you spawn on top of the entrance tile. Also, the tile is walkable

- there's no ladder transfer sound

- the flower pot outside the purple building is missing its left side

- after the first trainer loses to Aditya, the battle music keeps playing

- if you interact with the machine that activates the battles from the bottom instead of the left, the player won't get back to his proper position! (use a different move route in a check conditional [player is facing right] and [down] branch

- also, if you leave and re-enter the gym after one of the fights the battle music during their visit doesn't play! perhaps set the battle music again for each new trainer visit?

- I like the fact that challengers start out with water types, makes sense considering they know you are a fire type leader. that's a lot of vaporeon tho

- nurse moves one more step away from the player post-heal, resulting in him leaving 1 tile lower than where he came from (that's just a nitpick, but usually the offical games do it that way)

- "I should have done better" message has a typo

Strong Suite: Mapping, Cutsene Direction, Event Animation, Concept
Feel: Relaxing, Competition

Congrats on your first release!

Last edited:

Askit Endo

Rookie
I really like the idea of being a Gym Leader waiting for the challangers.
Wish I could choose what type of Gym I want to lead, but if you want the story to be about a Fire type Gym, so be it.
What I think needs improvement is the outside area mapping, everything is really far from each other. For a game type like his, a small compact map would work better.
I know creating a game for the Jam in time and releasing your first game can be stressful, so I congratulate you on tackling this chalI

A fun little game with an interesting concept and promising cutscene direction, in which you assume the role of a fire-type gym leader's son taking over for his father. That's a lot of weight on your shoulders...

Thoughts:
- I like the title screen, gets the point across while also having nice character placement. It also kinda gives me "father overshadowing son" vibes, due to how the father is placed

- oak's and MCs sprite have different densities, the easiest way to deal with this is to make sure the sprite is in its 1x1 intended resolution in graphics gale or gimp (each block should be one pixel), and then edit before you resize it. That way it looks consistent and it's also easier to edit! Same goes for the player character OW sprite. That said, I quite like Oak dad sprite.

- small typo "as gym leaders" instead of as a gym leader, also their, not thier. Also vacation not vaccation. "Get in position" too.

- the player's home is a bit big, especially the hallway and there's a couple of unusually placed trees, but aside from that it's pretty much a cool looking map. Wonder why you never see larger houses in games like these

- newer versions of essentials have a cool feature that you can use to cover more than 1 tile with 1 event spanning a certain width. E.g. since you dont want the player to go south at first, you can now only use 1 event to cover a lot of tiles! There might also be a way to prevent the player from walking on grass using terrain tag, though that might require some scripting!

- while Amber City is a bit on the big side, it's well mapped, and for your first submission this is a great map. You also have a good sense of general mapping and your future mapping endeavors are looking promising!

- a level 5 wild armaldo in the grass?? perhaps you wanted to put in anorith instead?

- shouldn't the player start with running shoes? Or is it not working for me?

- kudos for implementing cutscenes in your first jam game! It's not an easy thing to do, and they are also well done, you certainly have a knack for these! The characters also move frequently so they are also expressive!

- usually, characters pop in in a cutscene after the screen has faded out, and then in, so that they don't look like they go POOF! Alternatively, they walk in and out of screen. Try that out with the male gym trainer coming to find you in the cave

- you could have the gym statues say your name, like in the games "Gym Leader: player name"

- nice of you to let the player both save before the fights, and choose whether to heal after each one, it allows those who want an extra challenge to opt out of healing

- that feraligatr scared me, why brendan, why

- haha, looks like brendan uses that poor Ratatta for HMs only!

- well done, never expected to see the nurse actually show up to heal me!

- perhaps have some wild mons be stronger so some players can grind if they want to?

- good thing I found the rare candies, that sasha battle was hard, although you haven't set the difficulty to maximum in the pbs right?

- P O T A T O

- tbh it makes sense for very strong gym leaders to go on to become E4, being too strong wouldn't help with actually training the challengers (that's what a gym is for, right?)

Bugs:

- Some of the ledges right outside your house do not form a full ledge (their northern horizontal parts are missing)

- Some of the mountainous tiles are bugged a bit

- you can walk on the cave entrance (if you havent obtained your kit yet) -- you can set the event to "player touch" and then move the player 1 tile down to fix this

- the "this is not the time to visit" message that shows when you try to enter some of the houses in the northeastern part of the map should play after the player is pushed down (otherwise it looks as if the player is chatting to themselves while hugging the door xD)

- some signs are missing text

- the trees north of the checkpoint are missing their top parts

- small tree next to the mart is missing its top

- you forgot to deactivate several events that prevent you to walk towards the tall grass once you've gotten your pokemon!

- when you enter the cave you spawn on top of the entrance tile. Also, the tile is walkable

- there's no ladder transfer sound

- the flower pot outside the purple building is missing its left side

- after the first trainer loses to Aditya, the battle music keeps playing

- if you interact with the machine that activates the battles from the bottom instead of the left, the player won't get back to his proper position! (use a different move route in a check conditional [player is facing right] and [down] branch

- also, if you leave and re-enter the gym after one of the fights the battle music during their visit doesn't play! perhaps set the battle music again for each new trainer visit?

- I like the fact that challengers start out with water types, makes sense considering they know you are a fire type leader. that's a lot of vaporeon tho

- nurse moves one more step away from the player post-heal, resulting in him leaving 1 tile lower than where he came from (that's just a nitpick, but usually the offical games do it that way)

- "I should have done better" message has a typo

Strong Suite: Mapping, Cutsene Direction, Event Animation, Concept
Feel: Relaxing, Competition

Congrats on your first release!
Thanks a lot,It really helps me and I will improve them hopefully(School is a pain).
And yes P O T A T O

Askit Endo

Rookie
Just tried out your game.
It is the shining example of how the game plot can be incredibly creative and well-done, but one bad detail in the gameplay can make it just annoying and needing some dedication to get anywhere.
Specifically: No Running Shoes! Why am I going everywhere in this slow waddle? Why doesn't the starter kit include them? The city is big enough and confusing at the start.

Please don't take it as a personal attack - instead, as a valid criticism to fix in the next patch.
Thanks for playing my game..
Actually I wanted the selection for the Gym type option,But time limitation😅,Then I just went to google and did a random number generator which on my list was FIRE TYPE so I went with it.
Also, about the Running shoes..I couldn't the OW sprite of the player so had to scrap that idea at he last moment.

Haunted Ditto

Creator of Pokemon Pandora and Pokemon Climate
A nice and short game. Congrats on creating sth in this short period of time and releasing it for the game jam!
There are a few things which could use some improvement:
1. The city map is gigantic. There isn't much to explore so it could be easily shrunk down.
2. Alot of tile errors or "wrong use" of tiles. You normally don't combine stairs with ledges, tress without a top part, etc.
3. The level scaling was pretty off. Why is there a gym leader with a level average of 45 in a city with wild Pokemon around level 10?
4. Ofc creating pleasing pixelart is hard, but the sprite edits weren't very pleasing. Using the original sprites would have done the job too.
5. Offering the player to choose the typing of the gym + their Pokemon would be a nice extra feature.

Also if you wanna go for more story, maybe make the gym leader explore the areas around the city and make them fight some bad guys (+ teaming up with a future gym challenger)

yanks105

Rookie
i am trying the game out it is good but it is now only having me face the same person over and over again without the option to close the gym is that some sort of bug or is that the way it is supposed to be?

Back