• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Different Programs

Anime Watcher

dabbling in game design
With RMXP and Pokemon Essentials and other borrowed assets, I was able to come up with some pretty interesting Pokemon game ideas, but I'm probably never going to publish anything I created with Pokemon Essentials because Nintendo has made it clear that they want to protect their brand, and it's not like Mario Maker, where you have the company's blessings to use their character assets to create something new. Besides, if I continue relying on it, I may never learn how to actually code my own games.

I've decided instead to try creating an original JRPG with a monster-collecting element, but right now, I'm still in the planning stages, and I'm still trying to learn how to code my own games.

I decided just to try to build something on my own, if possible, but since I don't know a lot about coding, what program should I use?

GB Studio

The allure of this program is that whatever is created on it can be ported to a Gameboy ROM and played on an emulator. It's a quick way to get the game onto cellphones, computers, Chromebooks, tablets, and anything else that can run an emulator.

The drawback, though, is that I would have to figure out a different way to do battle systems and menu displays, as I've heard that this program doesn't really support the kind of menus and battle systems Pokemon has. I guess I could make a small demo game with only a few monsters using this program, but I was hoping I could make a full game.

RPG Maker XP (without Pokemon Essentials)

WIthout Pokemon Essentials, it's not nearly as impressive, and to be honest, I don't think I've mastered scripting and eventing well enough to mimic a Pokemon game. That may be a good thing, though, since I'm going for something original. There are still things I need scripts for, though, like changing the display on the battle system so that it's more visually appealing.

This is probably the easiest program to work with, and it's built for making RPGs, but it's not GB Studio, even though it has a lot more capabilities.

Game Maker Studio

Making a Pokemon-like game using this program may require some scripting, but it's potentially more flexible than RPG Maker. Plus, I can also purchase or download pre-made projects that may make what I'm trying to do easier.

The drawback, though, is I may not really learn how to code.

Which one would you choose, and why?

Also, can I enter an original game into any of the Pokemon game-making contests here? I would still like feedback on my project, even though it's not Pokemon. It'll probably be pretty similar because that's what I'm going for.

Last edited:

AenaonDogsky

Arbiter of Doggos
With RMXP and Pokemon Essentials and other borrowed assets, I was able to come up with some pretty interesting Pokemon game ideas, but I'm probably never going to publish anything I created with Pokemon Essentials because Nintendo has made it clear that they want to protect their brand, and it's not like Mario Maker, where you have the company's blessings to use their character assets to create something new. Besides, if I continue relying on it, I may never learn how to actually code my own games.

I've decided instead to try creating an original JRPG with a monster-collecting element, but right now, I'm still in the planning stages, and I'm still trying to learn how to code my own games.

I decided just to try to build something on my own, if possible, but since I don't know a lot about coding, what program should I use?

GB Studio

The allure of this program is that whatever is created on it can be ported to a Gameboy ROM and played on an emulator. It's a quick way to get the game onto cellphones, computers, Chromebooks, tablets, and anything else that can run an emulator.

The drawback, though, is that I would have to figure out a different way to do battle systems and menu displays, as I've heard that this program doesn't really support the kind of menus and battle systems Pokemon has. I guess I could make a small demo game with only a few monsters using this program, but I was hoping I could make a full game.

WIthout Pokemon Essentials, it's not nearly as impressive, and to be honest, I don't think I've mastered scripting and eventing well enough to mimic a Pokemon game. That may be a good thing, though, since I'm going for something original. There are still things I need scripts for, though, like changing the display on the battle system so that it's more visually appealing.

This is probably the easiest program to work with, and it's built for making RPGs, but it's not GB Studio, even though it has a lot more capabilities.

Game Maker Studio

Making a Pokemon-like game using this program may require some scripting, but it's potentially more flexible than RPG Maker. Plus, I can also purchase or download pre-made projects that may make what I'm trying to do easier.

Also, can I enter an original game into any of the Pokemon game-making contests here? I would still like feedback on my project, even though it's not Pokemon. It'll probably be pretty similar because that's what I'm going for.

Since learning how to program is one of your main concerns, your best bet right out the bat would be Godot, since you can use both its own language GDScript or even Visual Scripting (though this technically isn't "real" coding) and C# which is one of the most widely used game languages. Moreover Godot is open source and free, has many publicly made coding snippets and even engines like RPG engines, and its number of assets is growing by the day.

That said, GameMakerStudio 2 uses GML, which although not real C, still is a programming language. But it does cost money, although it can also export to mobile, assuming you pay for that license. It does have an asset store and you can do a lot of things with it provided you are familiar enough with the particularities of the program. On the programming side, GML is easier, but it's not like the usual languages.

I'm not sure if XP would be the best choice in terms of RPG Makers. Unless you do some funny stuff with modded RGSS3 implementation and put some time into integrating community-based improvements, it'd be best to at least go for RMAce. I would have recommended RMMV and RMMZ, but these are Javascript engines and 1) it's even easier than with previous Makers to decrypt even commercial games and therefore grab assets and even recreate the project inside the Maker, 2) you will most likely use a lot of eventing and plugins anyway.

On a side note: How much time can you invest in both learning how to code and designing your game? In the hobbyist and indie communities, it's usually recommended that you release a small game/a few small games in any engine you like before you tackle anything big. Moreover, even eventing logic in RPG maker does get you introduced to the logical structure and "looping" procedures used in real game languages, so no need to discard RM right away .

Most beginners have this big project on their minds and the passion and excitement to back it up, but there's a reason everyone recommends making small games first. Burnout, overwhelming work, and eventual loss of interest. Reduce your scope and introduce one feature at the time and ask yourself: how do I implement this? The important thing is to have game before having anything else, even features and assets.

Assuming you have the time and patience to do everything on your own minus most of the assets, participating in the various game jams held on itch and other places is the best way to get experience, and also learn how to code. Overall though, I'd recommend Godot.

Pros and Cons:

Godot:
PROS: Open Source, Free, can export to some platforms, GDscript, Visual Scripting, and C#, very active community, lots of pre-made assets and code
CONS: Might need to get used to the node-based system, needs time to learn C#, no console export

GMS2:
PROS: Really easy to prototype with code, it's own language and Visual Scripting too in the form of an "eventing" language, console export
CONS: Difficult to find ready-made things unless you pay for them on the asset store, it's a paid program

RPGMaker:
PROS: You can basically make a "barebones" game in a few hours, newer makers can be extended with mostly free plugins, good for testing your design, newer engines can export to mobile
CONS: Older engines require community-made upgrades, newer engines are easier to decrypt, not really intended by the devs for "big" game making. Not to say that you can't do it, it's just the limitations out of the box are probably there to make new designers adjusted to making games, it's a paid program too.

Uax

Novice

GB Studio

Game Maker Studio

Honestly, visual scripting is perfectly fine in GM2. But if you want to get really good in it and have more potential I would suggest you to jump straight on unity and on this asset https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/visual-scripting/playmaker-368 . It is just a way more powerfull tool. Maybe the learning curve at the start could be a little bit rougher but then you will fly...

Back