• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Pokemon fangames with all 898 mons and megas

Lil Savage the Rapper

Rookie
No, but I wrote a lengthy article about why you really, really should not do that.
I disagree, sounds plain and simply people being too lazy, if you are worried about "balance" which no pokemon game in history of EVER has had, you are truly foolish and the only thing you really need to do is set a new encounter type and make it so most pokemon aren't available until after you beat the championships... ANYBODY worried about a balanced Pokedex knows NOTHING about pokemon.

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
I disagree, sounds plain and simply people being too lazy, if you are worried about "balance" which no pokemon game in history of EVER has had, you are truly foolish and the only thing you really need to do is set a new encounter type and make it so most pokemon aren't available until after you beat the championships... ANYBODY worried about a balanced Pokedex knows NOTHING about pokemon.
i envy people who think the world is as simple as you do

Ott

My crown is made from the Yellow Pages
if you are worried about "balance" which no pokemon game in history of EVER has had,
Really undermining the work many people in the fandev community put in to their games, huh?

you are truly foolish and the only thing you really need to do is set a new encounter type and make it so most pokemon aren't available until after you beat the championships
So, lock 90% of pokemon in post-game, with no quality or thought put in to it?

Also, what about games that do not have championships or post-game? Or games that aim to tell a tailored story? Or games that take place in a specific region/period/for story reasons do not include XYZ pokemon? Do those also need to add all mons?

ANYBODY worried about a balanced Pokedex knows NOTHING about pokemon.
Anybody that solely wants all 900-ish mons in Pokemon to consider it a "good game", knows nothing about Pokemon either.

=====================

P.S.:
I find it quite interesting how, in hindsight, I see little to no complaints about fangames not including all pokemon until SwSh came out, even though no official game ever included all pokemon without having the player resort to cheating, trading*¹ and transfering*¹. Most of said complaints are not because the fangame is boring or lacks something. It's because "GameFreak fucked up". GF's mistakes are not the communities to bare, nor should people be entitled to demand it from the community, since they cannot demand it from GF. If you want something done, do it yourself. I believe it is unfair to demand and insult others fandevs for not creating your ideal game. People have the same ease of tools as everyone else, there are no special requirements other than a Windows machine and a 2$ software to get you to make your game.

(kudos to you Lil Savage the Rapper for the big region, 16 badges, all mons and fakemon fangame that you're developing, you took it upon yourself. That, however, doesn't mean others have to do the same as you, nor that you have to do the same as others. They aren't foolish or lazy, they just have different goals than you do.)

*¹ - Trading and transfering are something that fangames cannot do easily, nor have the requirements to even justify wasting time to implement such things. Some games have done it, however many have not, nor need to. Most fangames have a playerbase of a few hundred at one particular moment in time before that number dwindles and fades. Few are those games, like Reborn or Uranium, that have thousands of players and a massive following. Do fandevs need to waste time implementing a feature that a very small group of people will ever use, rather than use their limited time developing other key aspects of a good videogame, such as balancing, story, graphics, animations, music, sound effects, stability, replayability, unique features, gameplay loop and more?

Last edited:

It's less important after the championships, but there is a minimum amount of balancing that any dev needs to put into the early stages of the game, mostly before the first two gyms I'd say. Some easy examples:
  • A Ghost-type Pokemon as a starter would be completely immune to damage, because most Pokemon at level 5 only know a Normal-type move like Tackle or Scratch; A good dev would need to be aware of this and not give the player a Gastly only to throw them into a first route of only Poochyena and Zigzagoon! This is an extreme example but devs need to be careful with the first route when they know the player only has 1 Pokemon to work with
  • If the first gym is a Rock-Type gym, someone who picked a Fire-type starter is gonna be at a huge disadvantage is the dev doesn't include Type-Advantaged options for the player to add to their team! I know some people like to say that the starter choice is actually a choice of difficulty level, but after the first couple of gyms the game generally offers enough team options that the starter choice doesn't really matter anymore
  • The kinds of Pokemon like Wurmple/Sentret/Pidove that evolve quickly are really valuable in the early game but get outpaced quickly by statistically stronger Pokemon of the same type if they're in the mid-late game
  • The flip side of the last point are Pokemon like Rufflet that don't evolve for 50 levels and so would be an insane time investment for an early game player but are manageable for a late game player who's team is already around level 50

Back