• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Pokemon fangames with all 898 mons and megas

Swordkun

Trainer
Is there at least one out there that did what gamefreak refused to do? Just one is fine with me. If it looked nice like pokemon unbound quality that would be nice too. Also Radical Red is excluded, I already tried it and its way too hard and designed for competitive players which I am not. Plus it has no aftergame.

Swordkun

Trainer
No, but I wrote a lengthy article about why you really, really should not do that.
I read the article. Thing is, why not just do what you said above, make the games bigger and bigger to accommodate for the ever growing number of pokemon. Whether you like it or not pokemon are just going to keep being made more and more and soon we'll have close to 1500. I mean no one has to put all mons in but really, I think all of them should be squeezed in no matter how many there are. Ok for fangames its hard but i hope gamefreak wises up and puts in all of them even if there are 2000 or 3000. That's how it should be to me. As long as pokemon continues, you should by default prioritize squeezing every single existing mon and their alt forms in a game or the coding at least so you can get them via trade.

For fangames, maybe there could be updates from time to time to code them in.

Swordkun

Trainer
This is a terrible attitude to have, and is pretty dismissive about the amount of work that goes into games (fan or otherwise). Read the article again.
Ok but like, does this mean no game will ever have all mons + megas ever again? Not even fangames?

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
The National Dex will inevitably be back eventually, either later in this generation or in whatever comes next. They won't all be obtainable in singleplayer though; no Pokémon game has ever had the entire roster available in singleplayer. I seriously doubt any fan games are going to at this point. It was hard enough for hobbyists to do even when the dex was half the size it is now.

Swordkun

Trainer
Ok....

Well I'm fine with whatever at this point but just letting you know Insurgence, reborn, and unbound had all mons (up to gen 6 for insurgence and gen 7 for unbound and reborn) available in one game. Hopefully someone will put all of that and about 90 more, which is a very small number, in another one.

Let me echo Dragonite's point that no canon game has ever had all Pokemon obtainable at once in it- not even just version-exclusives, there was always some Pokemon that had to be transferred in from another game to be able to have all Pokemon. So you are asking people who are working for free as hobbyists to do something that wasn't done by people who actually made these games as part of their job.

Also, like, what's even your argument here? You've written a lot, but the only actually points I'm seeing you make are:
  • These other games did it
  • I think developers should go through the effort to include all Pokemon

just letting you know Insurgence, reborn, and unbound had all mons (up to gen 6 for insurgence and gen 7 for unbound and reborn) available in one game.
You're wrong about Reborn. Take a look at Reborn's handy dandy Obtainable Pokemon page, and it'll tell you that no legendary or mythical is obtainable, with the sole exception of Phione. I'll grant you Insurgence and Unbound, although I'll still point out that Insurgence requires Friend Safaris for a number of Pokemon.

The biggest issue here, though, is that you're just glossing over the development these games went through. Unbound took four years to develop. Insurgence had its first demo released around 2014, judging by when they first made their subreddit, and they updated in June just last year. Reborn's on its 18th release by now if I'm not mistaken, 19th on the way, and their dev blog, started in 2017, talks about preparing for E17, so uh, yeah, pretty sure that one's taken quite a bit of time. That's also not factoring in how many people were involved with the development of it- I counted at least seven people posting in Reborn's dev blog, and I know Insurgence had a team behind it.

(And since I know Bushido's what got you worked up enough to make a thread, let me just reiterate what Lux told you- that game was made in a month with four people working on it)

Hopefully someone will put all of that and about 90 more, which is a very small number
Bro what world do you live in where 90 is a small number lol.

You're also ignoring the fact that implementing Pokemon isn't just a matter of adding them to the encounter list whenever. Devs have to consider how those Pokemon will affect the balance of the game, what settings make sense for the Pokemon to be in, and how to distribute it to the player. Not everyone is content with just Ultra Wormholes/Hoopa rings spitting out a legendary for an encounter. When devs have to sacrifice either quality encounters, quicker releases, or having all canon Pokemon in their game, it's not suprising that they'd choose to cut Pokemon first.

KrisNightmare

rowlet
Making the games bigger would provide nothing for what the original creators envisioned just to accomodate a bunch of Pokemon when it wasnt the point of having them in the first place, it's a waste of time and resources for something that ultimately doesnt matter.
I read the article. Thing is, why not just do what you said above, make the games bigger and bigger to accommodate for the ever growing number of pokemon. Whether you like it or not pokemon are just going to keep being made more and more and soon we'll have close to 1500. I mean no one has to put all mons in but really, I think all of them should be squeezed in no matter how many there are. Ok for fangames its hard but i hope gamefreak wises up and puts in all of them even if there are 2000 or 3000. That's how it should be to me. As long as pokemon continues, you should by default prioritize squeezing every single existing mon and their alt forms in a game or the coding at least so you can get them via trade.

For fangames, maybe there could be updates from time to time to code them in.

KrisNightmare

rowlet
Ok....

Well I'm fine with whatever at this point but just letting you know Insurgence, reborn, and unbound had all mons (up to gen 6 for insurgence and gen 7 for unbound and reborn) available in one game. Hopefully someone will put all of that and about 90 more, which is a very small number, in another one.
Well Insurgence, Reborn and Unbound had massive teams, with lots of community support, and with a long dev cycle. Since they've been finished or still in the works, there hasn't been a game released with that much time and effort released since then.

Thing is, why not just do what you said above, make the games bigger and bigger to accommodate for the ever growing number of pokemon.
Hey Swordkun, if you wanna get an idea of how difficult/long the development cycle is on fan games, I'd take a look at some game jam projects. They're not what you're asking for in this thread but my point is that they're all pretty small. Those are the kinds of games people are capable of making with a single month of very focused work. To make a bigger game? That's not just adding months of development, the extra complexity multiplies the time and work that it takes.

Exceptional fan games like Insurgence and Reborn have been worked on for years! It takes a special kind of person to focus on a single project for that long* so there's simply not many games that have made it.

The critique of GameFreak isn't directly related but they do have some of the same time problem. Yeah they're making games professionally but there's still only so much that can be done in a set amount of time, and their end goals when releasing a game do go against having all Pokemon and megas available. They're a business so some of their priorities are going to be along the lines of, "Get the game out on the scheduled release date even if it means cutting corners". The first things to cut for the sake of saving time are gonna be extra Pokemon that players have had before...We love them all but gotta admit some species are less popular and some fill very similar niches.

*Yo fellow devs reading this please do not take offense: I used the word special but it's not a personal failing and is very normal to get bored and wanna do something else, grow your dev skill so much over the course of a project that you'd rather start over than go back and fix foundational mistakes, get inspired for something completely different, get frustrated over lack of visual progress and wanna get results faster, or just take long breaks and indulge in other hobbies. It's your hobby that you're choosing to do, so whatever you're doing should be fun/relaxing/fulfilling on a personal level; it's not about results.

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
They're a business so some of their priorities are going to be along the lines of, "Get the game out on the scheduled release date even if it means cutting corners".
On top of the other complexities, Pokémon has the additional challenge of having to not only meet the deadlines for the game itself but also the deadlines of what the rest of the Pokémon trans-media empire has set. Other games can - and sometimes do - get delayed if they have to, but if a Pokémon game desperately needs an extension - and don't get me wrong, Sword and Shield could have benefited from one greatly - the answer is a resounding "no," because that also would have affected the production schedule of the TV show.

As cool as it would be to work at GameFreak professionally I don't envy the people who do.

Swordkun

Trainer
Alright I know I'm really late to respond as i have been doing other stuff I just want to say I apologize. I put the expectation of meeting the standards of games like insurgence for all fangames. I was just upset because i wanted a gen 8 fangame with all mons and megas to spite sword and shield for not meeting the demands that fans have asked for. I shouldn't be expecting people doing it for free to do all that when it's apparently really hard.

So it's not you I should be upset at, but gamefreak for their laziness and Nintendo/TPCI for making gamefreak have to reach deadlines instead of giving them time just because of pushing their dumb merchandise and the anime instead of delaying them. They have forgotten that it was the games that made pokemon what it is today.

Jewelwriter

Rainbow Mage
To Swordkun, I managed to pull off ... and I'm probably the more insane one... BUT.... I did it 4 times over. Granted it is a card game but I still pride myself in making so many and I'm proud of it since it means that people would have tactics, strategy, adaptability, and more.

Swordkun

Trainer
To Swordkun, I managed to pull off ... and I'm probably the more insane one... BUT.... I did it 4 times over. Granted it is a card game but I still pride myself in making so many and I'm proud of it since it means that people would have tactics, strategy, adaptability, and more.
A card game? Nice

Jewelwriter

Rainbow Mage
A card game? Nice
Thanks. (Though if you want to know what the game is called look through my posts.... it'd be kind of hard to miss.)

Digimortal

Rookie
The National Dex will inevitably be back eventually, either later in this generation or in whatever comes next. They won't all be obtainable in singleplayer though; no Pokémon game has ever had the entire roster available in singleplayer. I seriously doubt any fan games are going to at this point. It was hard enough for hobbyists to do even when the dex was half the size it is now.
Let me put my point in. I play pokemon to catch them all to have them all on one game to play with and level up. You are correct when you say no pokemon game had them all obtainable without trading. That is besides the point here bud. I was still able to get them all on ultra sun and moon using gameshark (so i can have event exlusive pokes too). The point i feel he was making and if not the point im going to make here is if i cant have them all on one game, then i dont want that game even if its official. That is what pokemon is supose to be all about and always has been until sword and shield, which ruined it for me. It is the only official game where you cannot have all pokemon on one game. Who cares about pokedex, if i cant have the complete set on one game, then i cant have my wish. Reminds me of dragon balls literaly. Having 897 of them is useless the 878th is 100% unobtainable. So dont give anyone this "give the game.devolopers a break nonsense, " even for.fanmade ones. People do not pay attention to what made pokemon, pokemon in the first place, it's lifeline before was catching them all. You change that then the games lose their appeal for not just me.. but many other ppl. Some people havnt reallly asked thrmselves what they love about pokemon, so those people do not care as.much as i do. Some people are about competition, and they are their own breed of gamer.and dont care about the pokemon lifeline as.much anyways obviously. I really wish you, didnt dismiss so easily idea of what the other guy was asking you for. All.you had to do was just answer.him instread.of.give him your 2sense. He didnt ask for that. He asked you for what fan made.game is good for his needs. I would.like.to know the same.thing. honestly.i wish more.fan made.games would.make all pokemon obtainable solo, like.fire ash does. Fire ash doesnt have gen 8 yet. I get.it new.pokemon come.out all.the.time..and thats a lot.of.work to do right away every time.a new gen comes.out. gen 9.. doesnt matter.right now okay? 1 thru 8 because sword.and shield.happened.. means right now its needed..probably.a lot of ppl wanting the same.thing and not enough fan made pokemon games.that doesnt.dishonor us like the big error sword and shield.made. think about what i am saying.. its really.not something i would take lightly infact, its smart.if more.ppl took this more seriously.during this time.

Let me put my point in. I play pokemon to catch them all to have them all on one game to play with and level up. You are correct when you say no pokemon game had them all obtainable without trading. That is besides the point here bud.
It’s not, though. Swordkun is demanding games that allow the player to encounter all Pokemon in them, a regional dex with over 800 Pokemon. That’s not something that’s been done in any canon game, so it’s asking people doing something for free to do more than the people that do it for pay.

I was still able to get them all on ultra sun and moon using gameshark (so i can have event exlusive pokes too).
If you’re content to edit your games to get these Pokemon, why not do the same with fangames?
The point i feel he was making and if not the point im going to make here is if i cant have them all on one game, then i dont want that game even if its official.
Then feel free to skip the fangames that don’t have them.
That is what pokemon is supose to be all about and always has been until sword and shield, which ruined it for me. It is the only official game where you cannot have all pokemon on one game. Who cares about pokedex, if i cant have the complete set on one game, then i cant have my wish. Reminds me of dragon balls literaly. Having 897 of them is useless the 878th is 100% unobtainable.
That’s a ridiculous approach. You’re still battling with Pokemon even before you have all of them- they don’t lose all function because one is missing.
So dont give anyone this "give the game.devolopers a break nonsense, " even for.fanmade ones.
“give them a break nonsense”? The real nonsense is demanding hobbyists working for free to meet your unrealistic expectations just because you’re mad at the official games.

People do not pay attention to what made pokemon, pokemon in the first place, it's lifeline before was catching them all. You change that then the games lose their appeal for not just me.. but many other ppl. Some people havnt reallly asked thrmselves what they love about pokemon, so those people do not care as.much as i do. Some people are about competition, and they are their own breed of gamer.and dont care about the pokemon lifeline as.much anyways obviously.
What an elitist, gatekeeping take. Not sharing your opinion doesn’t mean people don’t care as much about the franchise.
I really wish you, didnt dismiss so easily idea of what the other guy was asking you for. All.you had to do was just answer.him instread.of.give him your 2sense. He didnt ask for that. He asked you for what fan made.game is good for his needs.
After he made several posts demanding developers do so.

I would.like.to know the same.thing. honestly.i wish more.fan made.games would.make all pokemon obtainable solo, like.fire ash does. Fire ash doesnt have gen 8 yet. I get.it new.pokemon come.out all.the.time..and thats a lot.of.work to do right away every time.a new gen comes.out. gen 9.. doesnt matter.right now okay? 1 thru 8 because sword.and shield.happened.. means right now its needed..probably.a lot of ppl wanting the same.thing
This wasn’t even a common request for fangames until SwSh’s dex cut.
and not enough fan made pokemon games.that doesnt.dishonor us like the big error sword and shield.made.
“dishonor you”? Do you even hear how ridiculous you’re being?

think about what i am saying.. its really.not something i would take lightly infact, its smart.if more.ppl took this more seriously.during this time.
Do you honestly think Game Freak is choosing to cut Pokemon because of free fangames?

Throughout your entire post, you never once even consider the idea of making such a game yourself. If you’re not willing to put in the effort for what you want, why should others do so for you?

Ott

My crown is made from the Yellow Pages
I play pokemon to catch them all to have them all on one game to play with and level up.
That's totally okay. Fortunately, not everyone does. Different things appeal to different players.

That is besides the point here bud. I was still able to get them all on ultra sun and moon using gameshark
You basically just validated their point. Not everyone is able to use gameshark, so, in fact, no game has all mons available. Cheating isn't a strategy. If so, then feel free to make your own fangame, or edit (please don't) a fangame to add all pokemon for yourself to enjoy. If you're willing to cheat, you're willing to edit.

Edit: I say "please don't", as there are several devs who'd rather not have their games tampered with, or at least would like for permission to be asked before doing so. Many dev's aren't unreachable.
if i cant have them all on one game, then i dont want that game even if its official.
That's entirely valid. Don't play it. Seek games that have all mons rather than get angry at people who don't add them. We're not forced to fullfill your entitlement.

That is what pokemon is supose to be all about
So the combat, story, strategy, friendship, minigames, bonding, all of that is void? Pokemon is meant to be solely a colectathon?

So dont give anyone this "give the game.devolopers a break nonsense, " even for.fanmade ones.
I highly suggest trying to make a game with all 900-ish mons, with it being balanced and entertaining to play, without needing to resort to cheats to attain all 900-ish. Everyone is a critic until they try and do the same thing they criticise, then their point-of-view shifts. Be more humble and considerate.

People do not pay attention to what made pokemon, pokemon in the first place,
They do. People pay attention to 9/10 (an example) factors that made pokemon, pokemon. The 1/10 is what youre complaining, whilst neglecting the rest.

it's lifeline before was catching them all
There is far more to it than "catching them all." Not to mention that "Gotta Catch 'Em All" is the English slogan. Originally, the Japanese never had this slogan.

Some people havnt reallly asked thrmselves what they love about pokemon, so those people do not care as.much as i do. Some people are about competition, and they are their own breed of gamer.and dont care about the pokemon lifeline as.much anyways obviously
This sounds elitist and gatekeeping. So just because people don't care about the same things as you do, they dont care about the series? Have you interacted with some of the devs in this community?

1 thru 8 because sword.and shield.happened.. means right now its needed..probably.a lot of ppl wanting the same.thing and not enough fan made pokemon games.
Feel free to be the one to make a game with 1 through 8. If the demand is high and offer is low, making a game that offers such a thing would earn you a lot of praise. Plus, and I do mean this sincerely, the fangame dev community can always do with more devs!

its really.not something i would take lightly infact, its smart.if more.ppl took this more seriously.during this time.
Again, feel free to be the one to bring this change. We welcome more devs!

Last edited:
Back