• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Discussion Using Essentials/etc to create a non-Pokémon monster catching game?

This thread is for discussion and opinions.

Takoto

Artist
Hey all,

I've been wanting to create a little monster catching/raising/battling game for years now as a hobby project, I have a lot of designs on the backburner for creatures and I've always thought that type of game would work well - I was wondering if it's considered okay to make a non Pokemon related monster catching game using the Essentials resources - as there's probably be a lot of simalarities like battling, levelling, and moves, and a loose type system. This of course, includes using only art assets I've made myself, etc.

I've looked into it a bit and I know there's been a couple of other fangames of different series' using Essentials, but I can't find any that seem to be completely non fan-game related, if that makes sense.

I wanted to see what the general concensus was on this - is it considered bad form? Or would it be fine?

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
I would say making a game and selling it would be a morally grey area.

I don't think Essentials has any more of business license attached, but also Essentials has been given the no-no from nintendo.
Even without using any Pokémon Naming, Imagery, or Sounds it's still (in nintendo's eyes) a rip-off, or imitation of Pokémon and you'd more than likely be hit with a swift DMCA Takedown.

But I've seen only 2 fangames/ROM Hacks that use no Pokémon in it.

Earthbound Capsule Quest and a Fantasy JRPG Game which I have forgotten the name of from back in 2012.

I don't think Essentials has any more of business license attached, but also Essentials has been given the no-no from nintendo.
Even without using any Pokémon Naming, Imagery, or Sounds it's still (in nintendo's eyes) a rip-off, or imitation of Pokémon and you'd more than likely be hit with a swift DMCA Takedown.
It's a bit past morally grey- Maruno's explicitly said you shouldn't profit off an Essentials game, so you'd be totally disrespecting that.

Takoto

Artist
It just depends on whether or not your game's monetized! As long as it's free and you're giving credit, anything goes with Essentials!

(I could swear I knew of an Essentials game that was totally original content, but I can't remember it now...)

But I've seen only 2 fangames/ROM Hacks that use no Pokémon in it.

Earthbound Capsule Quest and a Fantasy JRPG Game which I have forgotten the name of from back in 2012.
Oh don't worry, I wasn't intending on money being involved! It'd just be a hobby project, so completely made for fun/not for profit.

Though that is a good point about Nintendo potentially issuing a takedown for just using Essentials, given it's origins...

Back