• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon: Stone Version

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.
Project Status
Demo
Team:

Elle (lead dev)
Twitter
Infamous
Twitter
Quilchess
DeviantArt

Background:
Originally I made this project for the Relic Castle Winter Game Jam which just passed a couple days ago. Technically I finished on time and even submitted on time, but unfortunately there were several game breaking errors. I've fixed all I can; double, triple and quadruple checked things and now I am publishing it finally! I made this over the course of a week and a half in total; luckily gen2 games make for a small work-load. So looking over the game as I was testing, the demo has about an hour's worth of content; which is probably the most content I've ever published now that I think about it. It is a demo as well, so after it's been out for a bit and received feedback, I will do my best to overhaul some things; this of course meaning your save file will be lost. So keep that in mind.

Alright, enough rambling, time to present my project! 😅

6qWIsdB.png

Pokemon: Stone Version takes place in the quite small island-region of "Lavie".

FPrfPZG.png

You recently graduated from university (from the location of your choice) and are sailing out to the region to become its first ever Professor! Along your adventure to meet your assistant, get to know the locals of the region and its history, you will get to enjoy the nostalgia of the GSC-era. Well, it is more like Gen2.5, but let's not get too picky. The game in it's entirety when it is completed will be 3 gyms so it is rather short.

Features:
+ Portraits with main-story dialogue!
  • Custom battle backgrounds!
  • Revamped colors in both battle sprites, tiles and overworld sprites!
  • Official Pokemon from generations 1 through 5 in the old GSC sprite-style!
  • Beta GSC Pokemon make their return as well!

Download Link:

Dev Notes:
  • When you heal your Pokemon, there is a little bit of a delayed pause. Not sure why, but don't worry, your game hasn't froze.
  • A notepad document has been attached in the zipped file, it will tell you what evolution changes have been made.

Credits:

Main Staff
Story & Game Concept, Mapping, Eventing - Elle

Team-Building Help - Infamous

Custom Pokemon Battle & Overworld Sprite - Quilchess

---

Tiles:
Pokemon Gold & Silver
Elle

Custom Sprites:
Elle
Quilchess

Battle Backgrounds:
Princess-Phoenix
Carchagui
Aveontrainer

Gen2 Battle Sprites:
COMBOY
DarkDoom3000
Koolboyman
AkaiIsamu
Neslug
NICKtendo DS
Wes
pokekoks
Mighty Jetters
Alpha Six
Jeremy
Lockerz102
JoshR691
Koopaul
Parasect047
Ike
ClawedNyasu
Layle
SengirDev
Devicho

Music:
Pokemon Puzzle Challenge
Pokemon Gold & Silver
Pokemon Pinball

SFX:
RPGMaker XP
RPGMaker VX Ace

RPGMaker - Enterbrain

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by: Flameguru, Poccil (Peter O.), Maruno With contributions from: AvatarMonkeyKirby, Marin, Boushy, MiDas Mike, Brother1440, Near Fantastica, FL., PinkMan, Genzai Kawakami, Popper, help-14, Rataime, IceGod64, SoundSpawn, Jacob O. Wobbrock, the__end, KitsuneKouta, Venom12, Lisa Anthony, Wachunga, Luka S.J. and everyone else who helped out.

Pokemon Essentials GS - Comboy

Game Jam Assets - Relic Castle Staff

Special thanks to all my friends who supported me and kept me going.

Attachments

• splash.png
    splash.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 8,243
  • ScreensDemo.png
    ScreensDemo.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 4,594
  • mapRegion0.PNG
    mapRegion0.PNG
    13.3 KB · Views: 4,316
Last edited:

Ott

My crown is made from the Yellow Pages
The game was quite a blast to play!! The gen 2(?) artwork really made me love this little demo, the mapping layout, the tile transitions between the white sand and yellow grass, the tall grass and flowers, having "corner/edge" tiles to make everything less in a grid, making most objects interactable,... It shows that a lot of care and attention to detail went in to this game and am honestly excited to see how it continues!

A few notes/bugs though as I played through it:

This may seem minor, but I honestly found myself being giddy when talking to the old man who's partner/husband went missing! It's nice to see something like this included! (not that they're missing ofc, I mean the representation, even if subtle!)

The battle backgrounds being this white/grey dittering pattern, though aesthetically unique, personally it's a bit too harsh on my eyes and makes it slightly difficult to understand at times what the background is supposed to be. Would be nicer to see a 8-bit style background instead, but I understand why it was done like this, and I do think it is a neat concept, all things considered!

I don't know if it was due to lack of time or not, but in the forest, there are two(?) signs that don't seem to be interactable, whilst as of until then, all signs had something to say.

In the gym, the whole city is going through a blackout, however the vending machines are still working. Normally, they too require electricity to function. I know they're there to offer the player items to heal their mons before tackling the gym, so perhaps there could be a in-universe explanation why they're working?

There aren't many bugs I have found. In fact, I have only ever found 2.

First, when exiting houses, the player character pops in for a second, vanishes, and appears once more before moving down.

Second one, in the Professor's house, the calender has it's passability improperly set, allowing me to walk on it:
e2xBeKF.png

Last edited:

Elle

Maker of Many and Finisher of Few
The game was quite a blast to play!! The gen 2(?) artwork really made me love this little demo, the mapping layout, the tile transitions between the white sand and yellow grass, the tall grass and flowers, having "corner/edge" tiles to make everything less in a grid, making most objects interactable,... It shows that a lot of care and attention to detail went in to this game and am honestly excited to see how it continues!

A few notes/bugs though as I played through it:

This may seem minor, but I honestly found myself being giddy when talking to the old man who's partner/husband went missing! It's nice to see something like this included! (not that they're missing ofc, I mean the representation, even if subtle!)

The battle backgrounds being this white/grey dittering pattern, though aesthetically unique, personally it's a bit too harsh on my eyes and makes it slightly difficult to understand at times what the background is supposed to be. Would be nicer to see a 8-bit style background instead, but I understand why it was done like this, and I do think it is a neat concept, all things considered!

I don't know if it was due to lack of time or not, but in the forest, there are two(?) signs that don't seem to be interactable, whilst as of until then, all signs had something to say.

In the gym, the whole city is going through a blackout, however the vending machines are still working. Normally, they too require electricity to function. I know they're there to offer the player items to heal their mons before tackling the gym, so perhaps there could be a in-universe explanation why they're working?

There aren't many bugs I have found. In fact, I have only ever found 2.

First, when exiting houses, the player character pops in for a second, vanishes, and appears once more before moving down.

Second one, in the Professor's house, the calender has it's passability improperly set, allowing me to walk on it:
e2xBeKF.png

I'm glad you enjoyed the experience so far!

Yeah I thought it might be fun to add that considering always old couples in Pokemon games are MF couples.

Yeah this was tricky. I'm actually quite 50/50 on the whole thing; I wasn't able to think up a way that would work the best.

Funny thing that, They blend in so well with the bushes that I totally missed them. I don't even remember for the life of me if I knew what I planned to put on them. Someone else brought it up and I appreciate it. I will be more careful next time.

That is an excellent point; not much consistency. I got so focused on making it feel more like a gym, I forgot about the blackout. I think I might have them shut off. Thank you for pointing it out, you're the only one so far!

As for the bugs, someone else did mention the calendar and I made sure to correct that. As for the doors, I can't seem to figure out how to fix them. Every time I changed how the door functioned, saved and tested it, it re-set all my changes and had the flashing door thing happen. It's so strange, I wish I knew why it did that.

Regardless, happy you enjoyed it and looking forward to more feedback in the future! :D

Back