• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Touhou Puppet Play ~ The Festival of Curses

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Observing the gathering of humans is a scorned individual, tormented by the sight of humans using Puppets as they wish. "They've had their way for too long... Soon, I will free them from their captivity, and show them who really wields power." The individual says to themselves, as they plan to break the momentary peace once more.

--- Intro:
Welcome back to another round of "Derxwna Makes Games", starring The Badman themself, Derxwna Kapsyla! Today's project was made for the Relic Castle Winter Game Jam 2. This project is called "Touhou Puppet Play ~ The Festival of Curses". If you are familiar with my previous projects, The Festival of Curses is a soft sequel to The Mansion of Mystery. The Festival of Curses is a Fangame built off of the Touhoumon Essentials extension for the Essentials engine. Much like the other Touhou Puppet Play project I released, this will be a linear game with 6-ish stages, and one Extra Stage. Don't worry, there's no penalty for not clearing the game perfectly!

ih5YpYd.png

--- Premise:
The game itself revolves around the protagonist of the previous game, Ayaka, as she heads out to enjoy the Harvest Festival being held this year. Being the first real Harvest Festival since the advent of the Puppet Era of Gensokyo, the Festival has been changed around a fair bit to accommodate Puppets to celebrate their arrival to the realm- most notably, with a grand Festival Tournament being established for Puppet Handlers throughout the village to partake in... But, of course, as this is Gensokyo, peace doesn't stay for very long. In the shadows, an individual has made moves to disrupt the festivities and bring an end to the Humans coexistence with Puppetkind.

--- Features:
A game without features is... well, it's pong? No, I guess even Pong has features... I digress! The Festival of Curses has its own batch of features which make it really nifty, if I do say so myself!
  • A Touhoumon game with Puppets up to Double Dealing Character and Urban Legend in Limbo!
  • A visual style from the creators of Touhoumon themselves, FocasLens, utilizing their Gensou Ningyou Enbu Asset Collection Pack!
  • Not to mention music from the equally tallented a-TTTempo (from the GNE Ost), and Paradarx (A fairly popular Pokemon-soundfont arranger of Touhou tracks)!
  • A fair amount of utilization of Golisopod User's Mid-Battle Dialogue/Battle Scripting resource to make some quirky, if hopefully enjoyable, battles!
Given that this is a fairly short game, made for a Game Jam, there isn't a whole lot of super unique features that would be in one of my main projects. Still! I'd like to believe these will help it be a memorable experience!

--- Screenshots:
Y'all love screenshots? Well, here's a brief peak into the game! I wasn't sure what the best screenshots to take would be, but hopefully this gives you a decent taste of what to be in for!
rMRZ72F.png

--- Videos:
Screenshots not enough to whet your interest? Say no more fam. I got you covered. Have a video! Have two even!! Maybe a third!!!
--- Bugs and Issues:
Everyone loves bug lists! It means they can see what bugs are known about and can be fixed, or are in the process of being fixed! That way, people don't have to report them, right? Hahaha.........................

Tier 3 - Serious Game Breaking/Mechanic Altering Bugs
  • The Nitori fight had special Augment Items that would affect the player under certain conditions. This mechanic has been removed until further notice.
Tier 2 - In the process of fixing
  • You might see a Black Void around the edge of some maps. While this doesn't break the game, it does look tacky. I am in the process of rectifying these, so if you notice any in the latest build please point them out to me!
  • Not really a bug but annoying; Some music tracks are too loud or quiet. I am in the process of adjusting the tracks so they're at a more uniform volume.
  • Some music tracks don't loop properly. If you spot one that doesn't, hit me up.
  • If you're familiar with Touhoumon 1.8, and you notice that some moves/abilities are incorrect with how they should be (Recollection is one I'm aware of.), please report it to me!
Tier 1 - Almost Unnoticeable
  • U2 Akiyama is typo'd in the second credits. I'll fix it eventually. The same with Team Shanghai Alice being credited as "Species Designers", when it should be "Origins for Species Designs".
Tier 0 - I am fully aware of these and, for various reasons, cannot fix them
  • Move animations still use the generic Type-animations as part of Essentials. I suggest playing with animations disabled.
It's very possible I missed some bugs in this list. If you notice any I forgot, relay them to me and I'll have throw them here and try to fix them if I can!
As always, unless I specifically say otherwise on release, I suggest saving inside a Rest House. Changes have been, and will continue to be, made to outside maps to revise them.

--- Team of Curses:
I alone certainly didn't make the game this time! I had two people helping me out here. The first of which was @Jelo , who made a good number of graphics and edits for the autumn aesthetic the game was trying to convey. The second, though they aren't in the community, is a close friend of mine who helped playtest the game, wishing to go by the alias of Karl Grogslurper, and it was thanks to them that I managed to get a fair amount of decent balancing done for the game (I am not the best sense of balance or teambuilding, so having their eyes helped more than I can even begin to say.) Give a hearty round of applause to the Team of Curses!

--- Main Download Builds, Quick Patches, and the Resource Pack:
This section is where you can find the current build of the game, as well as the Quick Patches associated with that release. Quick Patches are little releases that fix small bugs, as these bugs usually don't warrant a total reupload and rerelease (this was done to spare my internet connection...). Detailed instructions on how to install Quick Patches will be provided alongside the download for the patch itself. You can also find the link to the Resource Pack made alongside the game here, containing.. well, probably way more than it needs to. But it should contain everything it absolutely needs to!

--- Credits:
I am not going to deny the people who's work contributed to this project their due credit. While a master list of the credits is included with the download itself, I will list everyone here and update accordingly.
Team of Curses:
  • DerxwnaKapsyla (Head Developer)
  • Jelo (Graphics)
  • Karl Grogslurper (Playtesting & Feedback)
Custom Scripts added in:
  • Mr. Gela:
    • Name Windows
  • Marin:
    • Scripting Utilities
    • Turbo Script
  • Nuru Yuri:
    • FModEX for Pokemon Essentials
  • Vendily:
    • Ambient Cries
  • FL:
    • HMs as Items (With work done by derFischae and Bulbasaurlvl5)
  • Rot8er_ConeX:
    • Doppelganger Trainer
  • Mej71:
    • Port of the Unlimited Self-Switch Variants script, made by game_guy for RPG Maker VX
  • Golisopod User:
    • Mid-Battle Dialogue/Scripted Battles
  • DerxwnaKapsyla:
    • PokeMart script for Game Corner Coin
Custom Graphics provided by:
  • Jelo:
    • All tileset changes made specifically for the game
  • FocasLens:
    • The Gensou Ningyou Enbu Asset Collection Pack
  • Team Shanghai Alice & Twilight Frontier:
    • Background Images for certain cutscenes and transitions
  • Relic Castle Staff:
    • The Required Assets for the Game Jam
  • Amethyst and the Pokemon Reborn team:
    • Obelisk Overworld sprite (used in Shizuha's Leaf Pile)
  • Poltergeist
    • Custom Character Creator resource (for Ayaka's front and back sprite)
  • Kasael:
    • Fairy Sprites
  • Irakuy:
    • Star Sapphire Trainer Sprite
    • Luna Child Trainer Sprite
    • Sunny Milk Trainer Sprite
  • Reimufate:
    • Sugar Satellite used for the Greater Fairy Trainer Sprite
    • Minako Kamikouchi sprite used for a Youkai Trainer Sprite
    • Ayana sprit used for a Youkai Trainer Sprite
  • 松樹様/Matsuki-Sama:
    • Elly Trainer Sprite
  • DerxwnaKapsyla:
    • Dark Window Skin
Custom Music and Audio provided by:
  • Paradarx:
    • Bell of Avici ~ Infinite Nightmare (Vs. Hatate theme)
    • Ruse Rain (Stage 5 Theme)
    • Spirit Battle ~ Perdition Crisis (Vs. Elly theme)
    • Faint Dream ~ Inanimate Dream (Vs. Yuuka theme)
    • Akutagawa Ryuunosuke's "Kappa" ~ Candid Friend (Vs. Nitori theme)
    • Because Princess Inada Is Scolding Me (Vs. Minoriko theme)
    • The Ground's Color is Yellow (Rounds 1-4 of the Festival Tournament)
    • A God That Misses People ~ Romantic Fall (Great Youkai Forest theme)
  • FocasLens and a-TTTempo:
    • Gensokyo, Past and Present (Garden of the Sun theme)
    • Mist Lake (Misty Lake and Shoreline theme)
    • Player's Score (Rest House theme)
    • The Flower Like The Fantasy (Suzuran Field theme)
    • This Dull World's Unchanging Pessemism (Human Village theme)
    • This Dull World's Unchanging Pessemism - Alternate (Festival Grounds theme)
    • Sakura, Sakura ~ Japanize Dream (Ending/Credits Theme)
    • Unknown X ~ Unfound Adventure (Round 5 theme of Festival Tournament)
    • Demystify Feast (Round 5 theme of Festival Tournament)
    • Theme of Eastern Story (Round 5 theme of Festival Tournament)
    • Poison Body ~ Forsaken Doll (Vs. Medicine theme)
    • Staking Your Life on a Prank (Vs. Star/Luna/Sunny theme)
    • Great Fairy Wars (Vs. Three Fairies of Light)
    • Stirring an Autumn Moon ~ Mooned Insect (Vs. Puppet - Early Game)
    • Deaf to all but the Song (Vs. Puppet - Forest)
    • Doll Judgment ~ The Girl Who Played With People's Shapes (Vs. Trainer)
    • The Rabbit Has Landed (Vs. Puppet - Late Game)
    • Reverse Ideology (Vs. Cursed Puppets)
    • Scenery of Living Dolls (Vs. Fairy intro)
    • Dancing Water Spray (Vs. Youkai intro)
    • Year-Round Absorbed Curiosity (Vs. Fairy intro - Late Game)
    • Sleeping Terror (Vs. Yuuka intro)
    • The Inevitably Forbidden Game (Fantasy World theme)
    • Alice Maestra (Mugenkan Theme)
    • Gensokyo Millenium ~ History of the Moon (Healing Jingle)
    • Demystify Feast - Jingle Variants (Item Get, Key Item Get, Puppet Get)
    • Door Sliding sound effect (from TPDP)
  • Uda-Shi & KecleonTencho:
    • Our Hisoutensoku (Evolution/Egg Hatching theme)
    • Because Princess Inada Is Scolding Me (Victory! Vs. Trainer)
    • Reach for the Moon, Immortal Smoke (Victory! Vs. Wild Battle, Captured! Wild Encounter)
    • Shanghai Teahouse ~ Chinese Tea (Captured! Wild Encounter)
    • Level Up jingle
  • U2 Akiyama:
    • Scattering Blizzard of Possession Flowers (Title Screen theme)
    • Seeds of the Incident (Intro Cutscene theme)
  • Vlizzurd:
    • Dark Side of Fate (Vs. Hina theme)
  • ZUN:
    • Unknown Flower, Mesmerizing Journey (Closing Cutscene)
If you wish to contact me for any reason regarding the game, you're free to leave a message on this thread, shoot me a PM on here, contact me on the Discord Server, or find me on my various social media hangouts.

--- Cheat Sheet for Game Jam Items:
As per the terms and conditions of the Game Jam, I must provide a cheat sheet to where all the used assets for the Game Jam were. This album contains all of the items, as well as where they are primarily.

Last edited:

anh1092001

Rookie
I've observed the bug on your save specifically, but on my own save I don't see it. I've examined multiple avenues of recreating it and have deduced the issue is somehow intrinsic to the map- but not so intrinsic that I get the issue on my save. I've purged every event from the map on a copy, and I still get the issue. I've tried warping to the map using debug tools and the bug pops up still. A fresh save can't reproduce the bug... The biggest oddity here is the fact that the "Main" script file doesn't even have 163 lines.

Did you notice anything else odd while playing the game? It may help in diagnosis.

Issue found and fixed thanks to Vendily.
Drop the file in here into your Data folder. This should allow you to progress into Mugenkan's back gardens.

I will look into why this bug happened at a later time and fix it for a proper Quick Patch.
Thank you for taking the time to help me, think about what I do, I should wait a few days after New Year, I do regret reporting the bug to you near the end of the Year, it ruined your enjoyment of the Year transition.
About other odd, I only remembered being able to step into paper on the table in the left room of Yuuka mansion.

DerxwnaKapsyla

Overseer of the Abyss
Thank you for taking the time to help me, think about what I do, I should wait a few days after New Year, I do regret reporting the bug to you near the end of the Year, it ruined your enjoyment of the Year transition.
About other odd, I only remembered being able to step into paper on the table in the left room of Yuuka mansion.
There's no need to feel remorseful, my New Years has been spent working on the remake, so finding this bug actually helped me out in the long run!

anh1092001

Rookie
I follow your instruction, and it seems the result is the same as before. I did download the game again with the firewall turned off, but the bug still happened.

Attachments

• The Curse of Festival Bug1.jpg
    The Curse of Festival Bug1.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 101

anh1092001

Rookie
Did you put the extracted file into the data folder?
Yes, I did. I put the Folder Map021 into Data folder, the bug still appears. I even take Map021.rxdata in Folder Map021 to replace the file existed with the same name, the bug still appears.

anh1092001

Rookie
After leaving and re-entering the mansion, It's working now. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• The Curse of Festival Bug Resolved.jpg
    The Curse of Festival Bug Resolved.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Back