• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

COMING SOON: Relic Castle Game Jam #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TypicalJalapeno

Novice
Assuming I spend 3-4 hours per day on making a game for relic castle game jam with Pokemon Essentials (and that I possess a sound knowledge of the system), the gameplay length being no more than an hour or two), would I be able to finish it in a month or two, or preferably within the time limit?

Assuming I spend 3-4 hours per day on making a game for relic castle game jam with Pokemon Essentials (and that I possess a sound knowledge of the system), the gameplay length being no more than an hour or two), would I be able to finish it in a month or two, or preferably within the time limit?

3-4 hours sounds like a decent goal to get you in the workflow! I'd think it's nearly impossible to judge if that's "enough" time without knowing what kind of game you're going to make.

As for game size...the shortest/smallest one I remember being submitted is probably TheTurtleDuckman's The Mysterious Island which used default Essentials assets and is a really straightforward game where you explore a cave; the humor in the game really makes it!

Other jam games for people who probably don't know about them because they haven't been reposted on the new Relic:
  • The Holy Mountain: A Pokémon Adventure by WackyTurtle has a beautiful atmosphere and just a really calming mood (pacifist run best run)
  • Pokémon Plastic Pyrite by NuclearOmega is full of custom fakemon that are super fun and silly (every one of them has the best cry)
  • Pokémon Golurk Rising by Radical Raptr uses limited party options keep it challenging, and the characters are great (This was a forum favorite!)
  • Pokemon Pantheon by LunarDusk and baaabuuu has tournament style gameplay but also has a story around it instead of strictly battling (This was a forum favorite!)
  • Operation Strike Back by Falcon makes the player a Team Rocket grunt and involves picking your own side missions to move up the ranks (the opening boot camp is so hard and the starter is random each time aaaa)
  • Pokémon Paradox by xCamero involves Blue using time travel to rewrite the events that happened in the original Red/Blue games (really cool to see time travel themes here and in Thyme during the same jam)

Y'all should repost cuz they're good games

Last edited:

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
I'm hyped! Well I don't think I'll have much time but if I find the time to participate I definitely will. I have it all planed out already!

Reactions: Aki

Falcon

Local Robot
Can't wait for this to start up! Simply seeing my progress as a game developer between Operation Strike Back and now, I'm super hyped to see what I can grind out for the Jam and most importantly what others are released as well! While I may have only participated in one, it's always fun watching the Jams go by. The time limit is perfect and prevents from the cookie-cutter Pokémon League games that are typically our main projects and forces us to get creative and experiment with other ideas which leads to a ton of new games! Once again can't wait and I encourage everyone to attempt to participate. The game doesn't have to be perfect or the typical one to two hour long games, just take a little break from the bigger picture and have fun some!
<In terms of reposting Strike Back; I was waiting to make it the game that I actually wanted it to be but failed to create. May not be for a while but things like these take time>

Sparta

banished doof
Yeah, we'll hopefully have something to get out this year. I'm gonna be gone for half the summer and in the three weeks I get to work on it I have to work around school, so anything that we make won't be anything too spectacular. But I guess it's worth a shot, right?

Auraxy

Rookie
Shame I have nobody to work with not that I could anyways because I suck at life and the only thing I'm capable of is writing stories for fun

Sparta

banished doof
Shame I have nobody to work with not that I could anyways because I suck at life and the only thing I'm capable of is writing stories for fun

Aw, come on. Surely you don't suck at life. If you can write stories, that's certainly something going for you.

And you've still got a couple of days before the Jam starts - you could potentially find people to work with.

Phoenixsong

mulberry ambush
Don't forget that the Game Jam's true point isn't to "win" anything or to create something nearly perfectly polished in a month's time. It's for learning new things about game making, it's for trying new things without worrying about the stress of finishing a huge project that has to rival the main series, it's for having fun! Yeah, you want to do your best, but no one's going to care if you can't churn out something like the Ethereal Gates demo or whatever. If you'd really like to participate, use this opportunity to try and learn the things you don't know how to do yet! Even if you don't finish, you've still made some progress on something and you've learned something about game dev to boot. That's certainly better than nothing! As long as you've got the time and the interest (don't force yourself if you don't really want to, obviously), why not give it a shot?

Definitely excited for the third jam to start! I'm not 100% sure whether I'll be participating myself (I do have some... ideas, just need to think on it some more and see how I feel come the 30th), but if nothing else I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with this year!

audino

Pokémon Mystery Dungeon Oranges
I'm going to take this opportunity to unwind from my main project and run with it.

Jephed

Trainer
So will there be a startsign for people to start on their entry? I mean it's already 6-30-2017 in my country so... hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back