• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Following Pokemon EX

Resource Following Pokemon EX 2.2.3

CrowsGhost

Rookie
Hello, would it be possible to ask for some guidance with the installation? I can't get the plugin to load, despite following the directions on the main page.
I extracted into the root folder, deleted the PluginScripts.rxdata file, kept the program closed throughout all of it. When that didn't get it to load the plugin, I tried putting the contents of the "Following Pokemon EX" folder into the root folder (after backing everything up), and I got an error that said "missing actor". I'm very new to coding, and I feel like I'm missing something or doing something wrong, heh. Can anyone help? :>

I tried putting the contents of the "Following Pokemon EX" folder into the root folder (after backing everything up)
There shouldn't be a "Following Pokemon EX" folder in the .zip file. A lot of extracting programs will default to adding a new folder when extracting, but you should be able to set it up to just extract in the intended directory. If you're using 7Zip, you can just select "Extract to (Folder)" instead of Extract Here
1656230467343.png

Or select Extract Files... and delete the extra folder added in the filepath.
1656230525720.png

Does your error actually say "missing actor", or does it say "Failed to load actor data"? (It's always good to share the error message directly) If it's "failure to load actor data", then you're missing a file "Actors.rxdata" in the Data folder. You can just grab one from a vanilla Essentials copy, it's not used in Essentials, but RMXP throws errors if you don't have it.

CrowsGhost

Rookie
There shouldn't be a "Following Pokemon EX" folder in the .zip file. A lot of extracting programs will default to adding a new folder when extracting, but you should be able to set it up to just extract in the intended directory. If you're using 7Zip, you can just select "Extract to (Folder)" instead of Extract Here
View attachment 10819
Or select Extract Files... and delete the extra folder added in the filepath.View attachment 10820

Does your error actually say "missing actor", or does it say "Failed to load actor data"? (It's always good to share the error message directly) If it's "failure to load actor data", then you're missing a file "Actors.rxdata" in the Data folder. You can just grab one from a vanilla Essentials copy, it's not used in Essentials, but RMXP throws errors if you don't have it.
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to reply!
I think you're right in that it was saying "Failed to load actor data," I was misremembering it when I was typing the message.
I tried copying in the "Actors.rxdata" from the vanilla copy, though then it seemed that the program moved on to say something else was missing. Figured out it was because that by moving the contents of the .zip file into the root folder, they replaced the folders of the same name, and everything within them got deleted.
I've now tried to move the individual files into their respective folders (the data file into the data folder, the plugin into the plugin folder, etc), but that unfortunately just left me where I started, with the debug mode not recognising the plugin in the loading. :S

I tried copying in the "Actors.rxdata" from the vanilla copy, though then it seemed that the program moved on to say something else was missing. Figured out it was because that by moving the contents of the .zip file into the root folder, they replaced the folders of the same name, and everything within them got deleted.
That's not usually how folders work in Windows. Usually, if you put two folders of the same name in the same location, they just merge. Are you using Linux?
I've now tried to move the individual files into their respective folders (the data file into the data folder, the plugin into the plugin folder, etc), but that unfortunately just left me where I started, with the debug mode not recognising the plugin in the loading. :S
Actually, I'm realizing now that I made a mistake - there is a Following Pokemon Ex Folder, but it's inside of the Plugin folder. You're not moving any of its contents outside of it after my mistake, are you?

Otherwise, I'd say make sure that it's compiling - you could try deleting PluginScripts.rxdata again, or just holding Ctrl when the game starts.

CrowsGhost

Rookie
That's not usually how folders work in Windows. Usually, if you put two folders of the same name in the same location, they just merge. Are you using Linux?

Actually, I'm realizing now that I made a mistake - there is a Following Pokemon Ex Folder, but it's inside of the Plugin folder. You're not moving any of its contents outside of it after my mistake, are you?

Otherwise, I'd say make sure that it's compiling - you could try deleting PluginScripts.rxdata again, or just holding Ctrl when the game starts.
I'm on mac, I'm running RPG-maker through a port, perhaps that's where the problem lies? This is the first time I've encountered a problem with a plugin though.
Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 12.56.53.png

^ Here is the file after I've extracted the .zip

Screenshot 2022-06-26 at 12.57.21.png

And then when I try to move the folders inside into the root, it prompts to replace, which I must have clicked on the first time out of carelessness.
Don't know if that helps?

LuckyBunny

The Chonky Bunny
Hey..I don't know if anyone else told you this, experienced this error, etc...but while I love your plugin and everything else works perfectly as intended...for some reason..custom files aren't working for the game. I made sure that I only had the PBS files that I was using in the PBS folder, and none of my customized stuff popped up. None of the Pokemon, none of the edited dex entries, nothing. I really want following Pokemon in my game, but also want new Pokemon and stuff, and I think many others share this sentiment. If this has already been noticed or said by someone else, please let me know, but I mostly just want to get the plugin working with custom stuff instead of just seemingly only using the default stuff without any sort of PBS file even in there. It's not even targetting them, as I'm pretty sure you can just remove the PBS files and the game would still show everything normally because of the plugin. Help would be appreciated.

Hey..I don't know if anyone else told you this, experienced this error, etc...but while I love your plugin and everything else works perfectly as intended...for some reason..custom files aren't working for the game. I made sure that I only had the PBS files that I was using in the PBS folder, and none of my customized stuff popped up. None of the Pokemon, none of the edited dex entries, nothing. I really want following Pokemon in my game, but also want new Pokemon and stuff, and I think many others share this sentiment. If this has already been noticed or said by someone else, please let me know, but I mostly just want to get the plugin working with custom stuff instead of just seemingly only using the default stuff
The plugin doesn't override custom changes to the game data. There wouldn't be any benefit to doing that.
I mostly just want to get the plugin working with custom stuff instead of just seemingly only using the default stuff without any sort of PBS file even in there.
You're deleted the PBS files from your game? It sounds like you're not compiling your game, then, because that would give you an error if there weren't any PBS files. (Not compiling would also explain your changes not taking)

Shubham

Rookie
"plugin error: plugin Following Pokemon EX reguires plugin Party Screen BW style to work properly"
I dont understand think can you please help me

Last edited:

LuckyBunny

The Chonky Bunny
The plugin doesn't override custom changes to the game data. There wouldn't be any benefit to doing that.

You're deleted the PBS files from your game? It sounds like you're not compiling your game, then, because that would give you an error if there weren't any PBS files. (Not compiling would also explain your changes not taking)
Yeah..I kinda forgot to mention that what I said about the overriding was before I did the deletion. I put in the modified PBS files, and then put in the Following Pokemon script, and then compiled them together. The game recompiles automatically for me everytime I change anything in the files besides the map-related stuff. I pretty much only did the deletion of the PBS files to see if the plugin was somehow using it's own files, and it seemed to be doing so. I know it shouldn't be overriding or anything, but it was for some reason, and even deleting the PBS files didn't affect it whatsoever. No matter what I tried to change the PBS files, none of it remained and as long as the plugin was in there, it stayed only with the original version up to Gen 8. I am willing to help with any attempts to figure out why this happened, and I can test it with the most recent version if you think it might've been due to a bug in one of the previous versions.

LuckyBunny

The Chonky Bunny
Yeah..I kinda forgot to mention that what I said about the overriding was before I did the deletion. I put in the modified PBS files, and then put in the Following Pokemon script, and then compiled them together. The game recompiles automatically for me everytime I change anything in the files besides the map-related stuff. I pretty much only did the deletion of the PBS files to see if the plugin was somehow using it's own files, and it seemed to be doing so. I know it shouldn't be overriding or anything, but it was for some reason, and even deleting the PBS files didn't affect it whatsoever. No matter what I tried to change the PBS files, none of it remained and as long as the plugin was in there, it stayed only with the original version up to Gen 8. I am willing to help with any attempts to figure out why this happened, and I can test it with the most recent version if you think it might've been due to a bug in one of the previous versions.
Well..I suppose the latest update fixed it. I tried it out again and everything works as intended. Sorry for the issue.

AskipLudo

Rookie
Hello so I've installed this script and when using the partner follower event I've noticed something

So walking works fine :

1658677049900.png

but when I go to the right my player just go inside the partner

1658677080084.png

Shubham

Rookie
I got this error what should i do

[Pokémon Essentials version 20.1]

Script error in event 5 (coords 14,1), map 2 (Lappet Town)
Exception: NameError

***Full script:
Followingpkmn.start_following(5)

Backtrace:
(eval):1:in `execute_script'
Interpreter:143:in `eval'
Interpreter:143:in `execute_script'
Interpreter_Commands:1112:in `command_355'
Interpreter_Commands:116:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:133:in `block in update'
Interpreter:90:in `loop'
Interpreter:90:in `update'
[Following Pokemon EX] Refresh.rb:255:in `update'
Scene_Map:160:in `block in update'

AskipLudo

Rookie
It's me again, seems like some Pokemon overworld aren't appearing, I gave myself the demo party

Pikachu, pidgeotto are showing but the other are just invisible

I've done something for that ? I've installed like said in the instruction tho.

EDIT: Okay so I tested again and seems like it's not taking the sprites from : "Graphics/Characters/Followers/" but only "Graphics/Characters/"

Last edited:

NettoHikari

Cooltrainer
I found a minor bug where the following Pokemon wouldn't refresh if you deposit your first Pokemon in the daycare. I fixed this by adding FollowingPkmn.refresh in the function def self.deposit(party_index) in script section Overworld_DayCare.

VoxITH

Trainer
Is it possible to put follower pokemon 1 step back? Cause i don't like when some big sprites are under the head of the character.

Ninaiso

Always Curious
Is it always reliant on some kind of trigger or would incorporating it in the party menu options be possible? (I accidentally posted this on the wrong resource oops. But now it's where it belongs lol)

SkyArmyRecru1t

Pokémon Master
Is there any reason move routes for up and down don't work in the latest version or is this just a bug in the script, because unless something's changed and I'm doing something wrong, the following Pokémon will just ignore any up and down movement and skip ahead to whatever's after it

1660898392295.png
(for example with this, the Pokémon will move left, ignore the movement down, and then just look up instead. Without the turn up movement, telling it to move down instead just makes it look down)

Back