• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Entertainment Undertale

On A Scale Of 1-10, How Good Do You Think Undertale Is?

• Total voters

Djaco75

MasterMind
I actually can't believe no-one has started a thread on this yet!

So a couple of questions to provoke interest:

What mode did you play?

Most memorable time?

Favourite character?

Favourite theme?

Anything else you would like to add?

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!

doof

banished doof
I haven't actually played Undertale. I saw Markiplier play it over the course of several streams some months back.

It's a pretty cool game, I'd say. I like how the battles all work, it had some really good music, memorable characters, and there were some scenes in it that were just awesome. The story was a little underwhelming to me, but all in all, I'm not as into it as other people are but I do think the popularity that it has garnished is all well-earned.

SmokedPaprika

Stinky Person
As much as I love Undertale, I will say that the main plot if the game can be weak if you haven't dug deeper into the game's world and background. I felt that way at first for sure.

I checked out a bit of Markiplier's playthrough, though, and honestly, it seemed like he really wasn't enjoying it. It seems like pressure from fans and a plethora of spoilers really soured the experience for him. It looks like he felt forced to play the game, which wasn't very in line with the game's themes at all.

That said, I do love this game. It's my passion and why I'm here to begin with. I will say, though, that the people here aren't generally as hot on it as I am, so this thread may invite a plethora of different responses.

rainefall

riley
Expo Team
Uagh... Undertale...

I really liked this game, but honestly, I think it became too popular for its own good. Not on the level of Five Nights at Freddy's, but still too popular. The community has entered the realm of unbearableness, and because of that I don't like to openly admit to liking the game.

It's already been mentioned that Markiplier probably wasn't enjoying his playthrough of the game, and that's easy to understand since there were a lot of people telling him what to/not to do. That kind of thing really ruins the experience. And it can apply to everyone who hasn't (or hadn't since pretty much everyone who wants to has played it by now) played the game yet, and is being pressured to 'make X choice' or 'do Y' or 'not kill Z'. There is literally an entire youtube video on why a certain event (not going to say it for spoiler reasons, just in case) is such an important one, and if people tell you not to do that thing it ruins the game.

Now that my little negative thing is over it's Interest Provoking Question Time!

What mode did I play?

All of them except the genocide route. I didn't want to kill everyone and I also didn't want to play through a non-fun game. That or the Sans battle eek.

Favourite Character?
I liked most of the characters equally, and I don't really have a favourite.

Favourite Theme?
I really liked It's Raining Somewhere Else. But Another Medium was also great. Conviniently, they both share the same section of the game.

Getting to the end of the Ruins, not knowing to spare Toriel over and over until she gives up and becoming a murderer on my first semi-playthrough. Why semi? Because I restarted the game immediately afterwards because I felt like I'd made a terrible choice. Which is great because that's what the game wanted me to do. Then after I'd spared her the second time, being called a murderer by Flowey. Oh boy.

Final Words.
I think Undertale deserved its initial popularity. It was well made, the music was excellent, the story was great for an indie game and the characters were all likeable. But then it got out of hand. I still think anyone who hasn't played it yet should, but they won't experience it like I did, or the many other people who played it before mid-2016.

tl;dr - it was great, one of my favourite games in 2015 but it's not the same anymore.

SmokedPaprika

Stinky Person
Personally, I don't think it's really cool to be afraid to admit liking a game just because you dislike a community that happens to like it as well, but I think that a lot of folks just get overly excited about it, and just don't yet have the kind of maturity required to understand that they shouldn't be pushing the game on others quite as much.

Keep in mind that a great part of any big community are children and overzealous folk, and that applies to Markiplier's fanbase as well.

On that note, conversation about the fanbase and how awful it apparently is has been done to demise. Would it be possible to not bring in the external elements to the spotlight whenever Undertale becomes a conversation topic?

rainefall

riley
Expo Team
Personally, I don't think it's really cool to be afraid to admit liking a game just because you dislike a community that happens to like it as well

It's not really that, it's more other people judging me and assuming that I am a part of that area of the community. And note how I said 'part of that area of the community'. It's not the whole fanbase that is awful.

It's also kind of hard for me not to talk about Undertale without referencing the fanbase at least once.

SmokedPaprika

Stinky Person
Interesting. I pretty openly admit that I find the game to be a masterpiece, but rarely do people give me a hard time about being a part of the community because of it. Aside from the folks that are already looking for a way to get a rise out of me.

I know you're not singling out the entire community, but I'm curious about what the "community" entails, and still what it is so bad that they do. The only examples I get regard being too overzealous/obnoxious at most.

rainefall

riley
Expo Team
rarely do people give me a hard time about being a part of the community because of it. Aside from the folks that are already looking for a way to get a rise out of me.

I guess we live in areas where people's attitudes are different.

And as for what the community does? Well, an example would be the comment section of a video titled 'SPORE: Genocide Simulator'. It is filled with Undertale related comments now. A load of people must have posted remarks about how the word genocide was used in the title and genocide automatically means Undertale to some people who probably aren't adults, then a load of people started complaining about it, then a load of people started complaining about people complaining...

Kawaiiski

Starving Bittersweet Artist
What mode did you play?
True Pacifist, although it took me a while to finish.

Most memorable time?
I think it's solving the music box puzzle. And oh! The final True Pacifist boss :o

Favorite character?
Definitely Sans and Papyrus. Speaking of which, a certain character from Voltron: LD is... a lot like Papyrus in a weird way...? (A Voltron Forum here would be amaze, BTW.)

Favorite theme?
Ruins, Death by Glamor, Another Medium, and hereweare.

Yeah, the community can be toxic, but I mainly went for the Fanart. ...Not so much anymore, too focused on Star Trek, these days. I do think any fandom can be toxic in its own right, honestly. I find some fandoms, whether a fan or not a fan, to be rather irritating at certain random intervals. Still, on my end, even as a fan... I think the fandom has died down. I mean, I guess, the game's almost two years old now, I think. I also think though that fandom turnaround from "love" to "hatred" has been ridiculous lately in the last five years. Fast-access internet, man. THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

Fontbane

Not a Russian Troll
Great humor, interesting story, fun boss fights when they're not too challenging. Difficulty spikes are really annoying, and I was never able to beat the final Geno boss. Geno was also really, really grindy, and took hours just to find the last couple monsters remaining in an area. And yeah, I get it, "that's the point", but that doesn't make it any more enjoyable for the player. Music is great, but I feel like some songs just repeat the same measure way too many times. Megalovania is sick too.

And unfortunately the fanbase has made it so I can't mention it in certain places without it being cringey, just like FNAF.

System1500

#1 Flareon Fan
Inserting Spoilers, just to be nice, so if you want to see them, click on the Toggle Spoiler button.

I played all the routes,
first Neutral, then Pacifist, then Genocide, which was heart wrenching, killing all my old friends ;-;

My most memorable time was when
I was having the date with Undyne at her house, and then she became my favorite Undertale character. The sad part is that I killed her on my first playthrough which was Neutral path, but when I killed her, I felt nothing. Nowdays, if I try killing her in Neutral, I just cant, and if I kill her in Genocide, I feel like the scum of the world.

Like said above, my favorite character/monster is Undyne in Undertale. She is just so kawaii and awesome! Her personality is just simply amazing. Thank you Toby Fox for creating such a amazing character! :blush:

This one is a hard one. I have alot of favorite themes, such as Spear of Justice,
Megalovania, Battle Against A True Hero,
Spider Dance, the list goes on! The game simply has amazing music!

It would of been cool if you could continue the game but in something like a Freeplay mode, where it continues on
the surface, when you finally get the monsters out of the underground in the Pacifist Route,
but a game has to end at one point.

Overall this will always be one of my favorite games I always look back to, whether I'm currently into Undertale or not. I recommend it. If Minecraft can be recommended to almost anyone and it is a blocky game, then Undertale can be the same, recommended to almost anyone. If you want to experience a beautiful story, meet amazing characters, have lots of feels, and have one hell of a time, then this game is for you!

CrimsonTy

Just some guy
What mode did you play: Pacifist, Genocide, Neutral

Most memorable time: Everyone together at the barrier before the Asriel Fight. Also Sans fight during the Genocide

Favorite character: 1st is Sans and 2nd goes to THE GREAT PAPYRUS!

Favorite theme: Megalovania

Anything else you would like to add: I wanna know more about Gaster

Marina

Cooltrainer
I played it 3 years ago
I didn't knew about Untertale and I discovered it through a big community I were invited to and accepted
then I searched through google and read the entire Wikipedia article about Undertale
I was first astound how the creator had such creativity! because sans is a computer font name and Papyrus, kinda remind me of the old scrolls they called papyrus too to it.
I can not remember the mode I played - but I played just one mode

But I like Sans and Papyrus the same, but Sans is the most comedian one and Papyrus is the lovely, friendly one
I kinda like all the characters quite the same. but 1st is Sans and 2nd Papyrus.

music; Megalovania, hereweare

I didn't play it till the end though... If I would have more time I sincerely would like to play it untill the end.

FlamingKeldeo81

A Sword of Justice
What mode did you play?
I prefer the Pacifist Route.

Most memorable time?
When I beat the game and I comforted Asriel, also when Asriel broke the barrier that was trapping the monsters underground.

Favourite character?

Asriel Dreemurr.

Favourite theme?
Hopes and Dreams.

Honestly Undertale was a pretty good game, but the community can be very cringy and toxic, especially all those Sans fangirls ;-;, we get it Sans is the most popular character in Undertale. But the game was actually good.

Back