• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Iron Mapper IRONMAPPER Season 5: Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
L2gQltI.png

Can you handle the cutthroat and perilous trials set forth by the judges?
This is IRON MAPPER: Relic Castle's mapping competition!
SEASON 5

Iron Mapper
Iron Mapper is a mapping competition on Relic Castle. Each mapping competition, otherwise known as a "trial", will have a deadline clearly stated, and you will have this time to complete and submit a map according to the theme and criteria of the trial. Once all submitted maps are judged after the deadline (this depends on the volume of entries, usually a few days), the judges will post the results, and prepare for the next trial.

Season 5
After almost one and a half years, we figured it was about time we brought back the old but gold IRONMAPPER trials! We're back and ready to consume the creativity and innovation expressed through your maps once again!

This season, we're introducing new trials and themes that will make you explore creative sides and processes you may not have dabbled in before. There will be an announcement a few days before the beginning of each new trial.

We're looking forward to see all the great maps you all can come up with!

Trials:
Trial I: Ominosity

For earlier trials, please check out past Iron Mapper seasons!

Rules of Engagement
The following are some general rules that apply to all trials. Abiding by them is mandatory.
  • You may only submit one map per trial, and you may not reuse a map for multiple trials.
  • Please don't just submit maps you've made prior to the trial, the purpose of this competition is to encourage you to map, not to post old work.
  • You're welcome to map in whatever software you like, but it must be on a grid, and it must use whatever tileset the trial specifies. RPG Maker XP is highly encouraged. The Tiled Map Editor is a free piece of software that would be a good substitute.
  • Once you submit your map, you may not edit it further. Only submit it when you're finished it.
  • Collaborative entries are not allowed unless specified in the criteria for a specific trial.
  • Poor sportsmanship is highly frowned upon. Ultimately, this is for fun and self improvement. Enjoy it and don't focus on whether or not you win.

Judging
Maps are judged with the following areas kept in mind. These are subjective and general guidelines.
  • Accuracy. How well does your map represent the theme of a trial, and does it meet all of the criteria?
  • Gameplay. Can your map be traversed easily, and does it make sense in a Pokémon game? Is there room for NPCs?
  • Technique. Are the tiles used well and without error? Does the map have detail and look polished?
The judges will have a group discussion with their thoughts on each map, the winner, and all the requested critique. The judges will agree on at least one map that has won the trial. There are no points or numerical scores.

The judges for each trial will be chosen by myself, and sometimes another judge might join a trial part way through. Judges may not partake in a trial they're currently judging. Those who have judged a previous trial who decide to compete will receive no advantage in knowing the trial theme, and there will be no bias in judging their map. Please do not ask to be a judge; I will approach you if I think you would be a suitable judge.

Submitting your Entry
In order to submit your entry, please make a post in the current trial thread with the provided information listed in the trial thread. You can leave your map untitled, and any additional information/notes are optional. Please list the number or name of the trial along with your entry. You may not submit maps for concluded trials.

If you're having issues taking a screenshot of your map, use the Map Screenshot Image Maker Script. It's very easy to use. You can also achieve a clear picture of your map by following this tip by Fontbane. You can also try a Map Exporter script.

For discussion of Iron Mapper, please use this thread. You're more than welcome to talk about past trials, but we'll likely be talking about the current one!

Last edited:

ranko

The Wind and Snow Continue to Stare
Expo Team
Ahh! I'm so excited for this! It's perfect for the state of my brain right now; too burnt to make something big but still wanting more to dev!

@Thundaga Woah! Those torches look amazing! What effect did you use to get them glowing like that?
@Nella102 Thank you!

For the torches, I tweaked the default "Smoke" particle type! There are all those particle events on the Route 3 of base Essentials, so I decided to see if I could modify them in the scripts to look more like a blue fire! There are probably some more tweaks I could make to the script, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! 👍I also tweaked the smoke particle to be a little blue square!
HauntedHollowTorchSetup.png

smoke.png
<- my "smoke" particle 😅

Nella102

Rookie
Thank you!

For the torches, I tweaked the default "Smoke" particle type! There are all those particle events on the Route 3 of base Essentials, so I decided to see if I could modify them in the scripts to look more like a blue fire! There are probably some more tweaks I could make to the script, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! 👍I also tweaked the smoke particle to be a little blue square!
View attachment 529
View attachment 530<- my "smoke" particle 😅
Thanks Thundaga! Just gonna say this right now, you never fail to teach me. 🤣

Nella102

Rookie
Oh, and Martin, this happens to be my first IronMapper and I was wondering if you have to submit into the first trial in order to be accepted into the second?

VanillaSunshine

.。.:*バニラ陽光*:.。.
Oh, and Martin, this happens to be my first IronMapper and I was wondering if you have to submit into the first trial in order to be accepted into the second?
All the trials are open to whoever wishes to participate! Feel free to enter any future trials you wish, or skip ones that you aren't inspired to do!

Nella102

Rookie
All the trials are open to whoever wishes to participate! Feel free to enter any future trials you wish, or skip ones that you aren't inspired to do!
Alrighty! Thanks! Hopefully I'll be able to join the second Trial soon(?)

Sorry if I'm being a bother, I'm kind of new to these events. 😅

Thanks guys😊
I don't usually flesh out a good idea for Iron Mapper trials in time, but seeing AngelusMortis's torn up city and then and Ekat's clean consumer city (congrats Ekat!) dug up some memories...The juxtaposition of a tornado-torn town with a sparkling new [giant corporation hardware store]. I get the logic of supply and demand but it allways feels ominous to me.

Jace

Rookie
Congrats to the winners on their well-deserved pieces!
Excited for the next Trial whenever that may be :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back