• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
Resource icon

Resource Simple Encounter List UI 1.1

Tw_raZ

Daybreak Dev
Tw_raZ submitted a new resource:

Simple Encounter List UI - A window that displays all encounters on the current map

The script you need (place above Main): https://pastebin.com/aJ8R2T6V

This is a simple UI that makes a window to show a paragraph-style list of all available encounters on the current map. If there are no encounters (like in a house), it will simply state there are no encounters.

To get it to work, whether you use an item or have it in the main menu like I do, these are the two lines that you need:

screen = EncounterListUI.new
screen.pbStartMenu

Examples if you are putting it...

Read more about this resource...

Tw_raZ

Daybreak Dev
Tw_raZ updated Simple Encounter List UI with a new update entry:

v1.2 - Zaffre's revisions

Zaffre has made some edits to the original script, so it can now use icons! It also lists the Pokemon by their national dex number! Some of the looks have been changed as well. Do note, and this is important, the changes do not support beyond 3 rows of icons. So try to see how many encounters you really need.

Here is the updated code!

How it can look:
View attachment 359

Read the rest of this update entry...

EpiQ

Novice

Hello! Thank you for your work. But can you tell me pls, how can I call this updated Encounter List UI in Modular Menu without error when I wanna back to menu?
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
# Encounter List
MenuHandlers.addEntry(:ENCS,_INTL("Encounters"),"menuPokemon",proc{|menu|
  pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
    screen.pbStartMenu
  }
  menu.pbEndScene
  menu.endscene = false
  menu.close = true
},proc{ return true })

This works only for old version with text. Thank you!

Tw_raZ

Daybreak Dev
Hello! Thank you for your work. But can you tell me pls, how can I call this updated Encounter List UI in Modular Menu without error when I wanna back to menu?
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
# Encounter List
MenuHandlers.addEntry(:ENCS,_INTL("Encounters"),"menuPokemon",proc{|menu|
  pbFadeOutIn(99999) {
    screen.pbStartMenu
  }
  menu.pbEndScene
  menu.endscene = false
  menu.close = true
},proc{ return true })

This works only for old version with text. Thank you!

I updated the v1.2 pastebin code, try using the new code now!

What is the button to look at the UI?
It's not a specific button, it's a script call. It says right at the top:
1610747229608.png

1610747236117.png

So it's up to the developer to decide how they want to implement it- you could make it a pause menu option, make it an item you use from the bag, or add in a key to push to display it. (Marin's tutorial on Adding more input keys would help on that front)

drawntoast

Cooltrainer
This is pretty useful, I really have to say! But I noticed that when you capture a Pokémon, it has its Shiny form? I'm sure you've heard this issue before. I tried to fix it but I've come up short. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
This is pretty useful, I really have to say! But I noticed that when you capture a Pokémon, it has its Shiny form? I'm sure you've heard this issur before. I tried to fix it but I've come up short. Thanks in advance!
How interesting! Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't thought to test that when I was going through. To fix it, you should add a new line underneath every line that mentions PokemonSpeciesIconSprite that looks like this: @pkmnsprite[i].shiny = false.

drawntoast

Cooltrainer
How interesting! Thanks for pointing that out. I hadn't thought to test that when I was going through. To fix it, you should add a new line underneath every line that mentions PokemonSpeciesIconSprite that looks like this: @pkmnsprite[i].shiny = false.
Wonderful, great work!

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
Since I really enjoyed updating this resource and I'd love for people to use it (and find bugs), I thought I'd give a breakdown of what this resource can now do. I've included an example image below - sorry in advance for my dodgy image editing skills.

1. There is one page of icons for each encounter type defined for a given map. By default, after the map name, you'll see the name of the encounter type as defined in module EncounterTypes. These names aren't always intuitive ("Water") or pretty ("LandNight"). I added the optional NAMES array to allow you to display different names to those in the module, For example, "Land" appears as "Grass" in my example image, which I think is clearer.

(Preamble to 2) Thanks to Zaffre, encounters were changed from plain text to icons. In a mini-update, I made the UI show forms (if the icons exist in your Graphics/Icons folder). I've since made it so that forms are now grouped with their base form friends, rather than being tagged on at the end.

2. I added functionality to show icons as follows:
If a Pokémon/form has not been seen, their icon is shown as a question mark (or the icon for species "000" to be more exact).
If a Pokémon/form has been seen but not owned, the icon appears greyed out.
If a Pokémon/form is owned, the icon displays in full colour.
The functionality I added allows for all forms to be tracked separately. For example, in the image below, I have not seen regular Sandshrew, so the icon is a question mark, but I own Alolan Sandshrew, so the icon is shown and in full colour. In v18/18.1, the seeing of forms is tracked separately, but owning is not. Please let us know if you think this is not working as intended.

3. The UI is split by encounter type and can be navigated using the left and right arrow keys. Only encounters that are defined for a given map will be shown, so you don't need to scroll through blank pages unnecessarily. If a map has no defined encounters, the UI will be blank and there will be text to tell you there are no encounters on the map.

4. And finally, the box (windowskin) that the UI sits on. raZ included on the main page the graphic you need to replicate the image below (put this in Graphics/Windowskins and call it "encounters.png"). If this graphic does not exist or there is a typo in the filename, the default choice box windowskin will be used (which I think is hard on the eyes). The WINDOWSKIN constant in the script can be changed to any of the 48x48 windowskins that come with Pokémon Essentials or you can make your own like I did!

This breakdown ended up being a whole lot longer than I thought it would, but I'm just excited about my first major contribution to something! A huge thanks to everyone credited, especially raZ who let me make these changes and for being so patient.

Untitled.png

drawntoast

Cooltrainer
I returned to this script to say that I'm not completely sure if the list correctly shows alternate forms if you encounter them or catch them.
For me, it shows as a question mark still. The post above shows it can work, so did I mess something up? I hope not.
Still a great script, nevertheless!

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
I returned to this script to say that I'm not completely sure if the list correctly shows alternate forms if you encounter them or catch them.
For me, it shows as a question mark still. The post above shows it can work, so did I mess something up? I hope not.
Still a great script, nevertheless!
I don't think it's something you've done wrong, more likely I've overlooked something. A quick question: do you have other third party scripts installed that are below this encounter UI script? It's possible that some of the methods I had to edit to do the whole form tracking thing are being overwritten by methods in scripts below this one.

drawntoast

Cooltrainer
I only have the HGSS Trainer Card script by Mr. Gela, and the Starter Selection script by Limnodromus and shiney570, in that order below the Encounter List.

Ruben-Origin

Rookie
I'm fairly sure the Starter Selection script by Limnodromus has a method around forms. I don't know what it does exactly but looking there might be the right direction.

drawntoast

Cooltrainer
Is it only certain Pokémon you're having this issue with?
It seems like it's all alternate forms. I tried it with Alolan Rattata, Unown, and Galarian Yamask, and it was the same. The encounter list didn't count them as caught.

ThatWelshOne_

Champion
It seems like it's all alternate forms. I tried it with Alolan Rattata, Unown, and Galarian Yamask, and it was the same. The encounter list didn't count them as caught.
I don't think this would make a difference, but are you using the Gen 8 project? Do you have icons for these forms in Graphics/Icons ? If yes to the second question, would you mind sending me the encounter list script you're using, please? I realise it would be the same one as on the main page of this resource, but you never know!

Back