• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed White Rose

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
KisSii6.gif

No friends, no family, nobody to remember you.
Being forgotten from existence is a terrible fate.

6KUs5x6.png

AUmqRtN.png
cLS70uv.png
96LTMx4.png
J51jdSM.png
wn8BoPO.png
60ZGDWM.png

dHiD6XB.png

Your name is Rose.
You live a solitary life. No friends, no family, no acquaintances to remember you.
Events fade from your mind.
People you believe to have met seem new to you.
Voices tell you that you are not who you believe to be.
They deceive you.
You must remember yourself.
Remember your name.
If you too forget your own name, then who else will ever remember you?

After the release of Faerïs, White Rose is due for a remake to better fit the Latentverse. This game, as is, is non-canon

KhE0jLp.png

White Rose V1.2.2

GAME RESOURCES

gluERwL.png

This game was made by Ott with music created by LJ, using Essentials!

awunqUB.png

This game was a ton of fun to make! I feel as this Jam really helped me improve my spriting abilities!
I can only thank LJ so much for his help and support!

Few things to note: The game is rather short. It consists mostly of puzzles and some story.
Again, battling sadly didn't make the cut due to time restraints.
It is not fangame, even though it does use Essentials.

R6p6Zfp.png

White Rose
An Ott game
With music by LJ

Original Soundtrack by:
LJ

Custom Tiles and
Original Character designs by:
Ott

Tiles from:
Mother 3
Professor Layton and the Last Spectre
Essentials default tiles

Terrain Step Sound by:
gamer_guy

Sound Effects from:
notificationsounds.com
soundsnap.com
orangefreesounds.com
Persona 2: Innocent Sin
Kingdom Hearts II

Special Mentions for help and support:
LJ (You were a great teammate)
Niall/Amby/Catwithoutajob
Ekat
Taq
buttjuice

Essentials was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Luka S.J.
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.
PinkMan
Genzai Kawakami
Popper
help-14
Rataime
IceGod64
SoundSpawn
Jacob O. Wobbrock
the__end
KitsuneKouta
Venom12
Lisa Anthony
Wachunga
and everyone else who helped out

XsJooKp.png

Last edited:
This game is amazing. While I have no idea what was happening throughout the game, I had to complete it in one sitting. It was so addicting, in a good way. For the story, having this eerie and unknown aspect makes the player think and adds to the complexness of this game. The music was amazing, too, it matches the story and he eerieness well. I also loved all the minigames that I did with Bob! He's such a lighthearted character which I think give contrast to a game that was so dark.

Reactions: Ott
Not gonna talk about spoilers too much, but I believe this is a game best gone in blind so I'll use spoiler tags. Please don't click unless you have played the game, and yes, you should play the game.
This game was very good, the art style, the music, even the menus, all very nice and atmospheric, I loved the style. The game felt very "clean" and polished in a way, simple things like the screen dimming when text appears is a nice touch. My favourite part of the game was probably exploring, in reality the game is pretty linear, but I felt like I was exploring a pretty open level each time. I went out of my way and got all the pearls, and I enjoyed doing so.

If I'm going to be hyper critical, I did have a little hiccup with the game, when collecting the strange orbs it wasn't exactly clear what to do next. And I didn't realise talking to one of them again would kill them. Maybe that was the intention with the slight hint of the strange man saying "choose boy or girl", but it doesn't feel like much of an impactful choice when it just happens without us actually having to try and decide which one to choose, instead it just falls to luck of which one you talk to next.

My next point is a little tough because I don't really know if it is bad? It kinda works in your game, but like Cadeorade5 said, I had very little idea what was happening throughout the game, even after completing it I was still confused. Just grasping at the little pieces I have that seem disjointed. Bobby seems to want to steal your name so that, maybe this isn't the right way to word it, but in a way you no longer exist, because you aren't leaving anything behind, so you become something he can just use/eat? But then on another level it seems to be about the fears and inner thoughts that eat away at ourselves? If I'm gonna look real deep into it, the bad ending seems to say that by giving in to these thoughts in our head we allow them to have a real and physical impact on us. And then again, seemingly unrelated, the flower/pearl thing talking about how we are all the same? Also on top of that the strange G-Man like man who just appears everywhere, watching, I guess he is there to warn you about the girl vs boy thing?

However, if there is one part of the plot that I think I get, I think it is the little imp who talks about a bigger imp, I imagine that bigger imp is bobby ;)

Sorry, that all sounds a bit harsh, just being hyper critical, while the story is confusing, it is also intriguing, there is good that comes out of it being so ambiguous. The game really was great, you did an amazing job, and honestly I feel like you should try posting it somewhere other than Relic Castle where it might receive recognition from a wider audience than the Pokemon Fan Game Community. Keep it up, your work is amazing. [\SPOILER]

Ott

My crown is made from the Yellow Pages
i'm sorry to everyone for not replying sooner but stuff happened and i completely forgot to check back here and say something and tomix's reply made me remember so imma just kill two birds with one stone again im very sorry i like to reply to stuff but im also quite forgeteful at times

also thank you all so very much for playing and liking it ;u;

With that out of the way, time for my reply! (also a lot of it is Tomix's reply which may contain spoilers)

My reaction to this:
WHAT JUST HAPPENED?
While I have no idea what was happening throughout the game. (...) For the story, having this eerie and unknown aspect makes the player think and adds to the complexness of this game.
(...) like Cadeorade5 said, I had very little idea what was happening throughout the game, even after completing it I was still confused. Just grasping at the little pieces I have that seem disjointed.

So uhm, yea. I really can't say much about how the story went. I am personally kinda self-disappointed as I basically evented the whole story, cutscenes and NPC's in the final 2 days, thus very little came out as I had imagined. Not that it serves as an excuse for poor writing or confusion plot, I should have had things better prepared and structured the plot beforehand, but just wanted to give it as a bit of context. Perhaps I will re-event the whole game once the community vote is done!

If I'm going to be hyper critical, I did have a little hiccup with the game, when collecting the strange orbs it wasn't exactly clear what to do next. And I didn't realise talking to one of them again would kill them. Maybe that was the intention with the slight hint of the strange man saying "choose boy or girl", but it doesn't feel like much of an impactful choice when it just happens without us actually having to try and decide which one to choose, instead it just falls to luck of which one you talk to next.

Nope, I just didn't properly think that whole thing through and assumed a lot. If I could I would have just evented that whole thing from scratch to make it less confusing for the player and make it a more impactful choice.

(...)Bobby seems to want to steal your name so that (...) in a way you no longer exist, because you aren't leaving anything behind, so you become something he can just use/eat? But then on another level it seems to be about the fears and inner thoughts that eat away at ourselves?(...) the bad ending seems to say that by giving in to these thoughts in our head we allow them to have a real and physical impact on us. And then again, seemingly unrelated, the flower/pearl thing talking about how we are all the same? Also on top of that the strange G-Man like man who just appears everywhere, watching, I guess he is there to warn you about the girl vs boy thing?

However, if there is one part of the plot that I think I get, I think it is the little imp who talks about a bigger imp, I imagine that bigger imp is bobby ;)

I'll spoiler things because a lot of it may contain actual spoilers and stuff that I had in mind whilst making WR:
Bobby, the bouncy thing you meet that does some puzzles with you is just an NPC. He's there just to sorta be cute and friendly. The first friendly face you meet in this bleak hellscape, so to say. I believe you are confusing him with the big boi at the end (default name is Malcolm, but me and LJ kindly called him Fred during dev. He's named whatever you chose when going to bed).
But yes, Malcolm basically wants you to rename yourself in to something else, so he can slowly take control of Rose (the human). By going with the bad ending you're basically allowing yourself to let Malcolm take control of you and become a real entity rather than just another voice in your head. Is that black thing that appears in the real world real? How did it come from the "purple" world? What did he do to Rose? Those were some things I tried to have people question with the bad ending.
The "G-man" thing (i just call him shade cuz im boring like that) is just an observer. What I had planned was to have others mention him as the oldest entity in that dimension that just liked to observe newcomers and mess with them. But well, sounds fine on paper but it isnt ever mentioned in the game cuz... lots of time constraints and bad management on my part.
The flower thing though, that's supposed to be the knowledgeable entity. One of the "inspirations" for this game was the Multiple Personality Disorder/Dissociative Identity Disorder. I know someone who suffers from it for some time now and in one (extremely condensed) way they explained it to me that each different personality (or alter) is a part of the original personality (host). Some alters don't know that they are an alter, some do. some even know all other alters and how they connect to the host. The flower was meant to be a bit like those latter kinds, being aware of what they are and who everyone else is. That they aren't exactly real but merely fragments of the host.
And lastly, I think you confused Bobby with Malcolm again, but yes, the Imp was referring to Malcolm!

Disclaimer: I of course merely took inspiration for this game on MPD/DID with no intention to represent or portray it accurately. I did also get consent from my friend.

Sorry, that all sounds a bit harsh, just being hyper critical, while the story is confusing, it is also intriguing, there is good that comes out of it being so ambiguous. The game really was great, you did an amazing job, and honestly I feel like you should try posting it somewhere other than Relic Castle where it might receive recognition from a wider audience than the Pokemon Fan Game Community. Keep it up, your work is amazing.

None of it was harsh at all! I am very thankful for your feedback! And one day I'll post them somewhere else! Am still working on Latent too, so who knows.

Wow guys, you did a great job, it looks cool and the music is great! :D
(...)The music was amazing, too, it matches the story and he eerieness well.
This game was very good, the art style, the music, even the menus, all very nice and atmospheric, I loved the style.

Of course I can't take all the credit! LJ helped a lot, with simple things like support, ideas, feedback and playtesting, up to the most important thing; the music! So shoutout to him and all the fab music he has done!!

Last edited:

ranko

The Wind and Snow Continue to Stare
Expo Team
All right. Finished this game. Congratulations on putting out such a unique product! Time for my review:

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. This opinion is drawn together through my perspective of the game as a player.

This is almost exactly the kind of game I've always wanted to play. I loved it. Please continue it.

MySummerJob

Rookie
I had a fun time with this game... Even streamed it, and uploaded the VOD to YouTube.

Also at one point, I made a joke about me floating... Turns out I didn't see the legs (I'm visually impaired) so the joke didn't really land.

Pretty cool game... I see you have another non-Pokemon game, and will be sure to check that out in the future.

Ott

WR has been updated to V1.2

Fixed a bug that prevents the "flower NPC" from talking to you once all 6 flower pearls are collected.
Added a save point before the end.

Reactions: Aki

Aurora

Trainer
I finished the game and I was like wtf? Haha. I choosed the girl because I wanted to save her but it was the opposite after all. If you choose the boy, what happens?

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
Wow.

Just wow.
This was very well done.
It feels almost Undertale-esque and I love it.

Picking between the Boy, and the Girl doesn't seem to change much? Is it supposed to?

Ott

Firstly, thank you both for playing WR! It means a lot seeing people still checking in and trying it out ;u;

Secondly
I finished the game and I was like wtf? Haha. I choosed the girl because I wanted to save her but it was the opposite after all. If you choose the boy, what happens?
Picking between the Boy, and the Girl doesn't seem to change much? Is it supposed to?
Sadly it doesn't change much. Only a few dialog options from the other one, the skeleton and the end creature. Hopefully someday I'll get back to this game and remake a few bits of it, give it the polishing and detail it truly deserves, because the time constraint really hurt the story imho.

Ickle

Trainer
hey I've fond the Silver,Gold,Platinum,Steel and Wooden pearl flowers but I can't find the last one? where is it?

Ott

hey I've fond the Silver,Gold,Platinum,Steel and Wooden pearl flowers but I can't find the last one? where is it?
The last one is in
the Teleporter puzzle room. Go to the right teleporter, then right once more, and then go up all the way.

Last edited:
Back