• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Released Pokemon Sacred Johto (Demo 2 Pre-release soon!)

This project has a release available. The full version is still a work in progress.

You live a peaceful life in Newbark town for years before
your father, Ethan- the current champion at the time,
disappears on a hunt for the missing trainer Red.

You finally set out on an
adventure with Pokemon and friends.

You journey alongside 4 Assistants of the
professor to uncover Johto's secrets...

Story

The game starts 15 years after the events of Heart Gold and Soul
Silver when Ethan beat the elite four and became champion.

You play as their son/daughter who always tried to
live up to your fathers reputation and skill.

7 years after becoming champion, Ethan
went missing in Mount Silver looking for Red.

You play through Johto and can continue into other regions
and places as part of the story, including but not limited to:
Johto
Kanto
Sinnoh
New areas within the visitable region can be
discovered through the story or post game.

Character
Protagonists

New Gym leaders

Within the first demo, only 3 of the 8
Johto Leaders are encounterable.

In the upcoming pre-release of demo 2, 4 will be.

Professor and Her Assistants

The professor is called Evelyne Blackthorne, The
replacement professor after professor elm's retirement.

She has 5 Assistants in total including
the player at the beginning of the game.

Only 3 of the 4 other assistants appear
within the game in the first demo.

the fourth appears from the pre-release onwards

Elite Trainers
There is a class above Elite trainer
given to those strong enough to earn it.

Elite trainers are only granted to those that,

Were Gymleaders,
(current gymleaders from other regions
count as pokemon trainers till they resign)
Previous Elite four or Champions, people
that have beaten champion yet are not
champions themselves

and people within the mystery gift
service of high levels of strength.

Mega Evolution
Mega stones have been newly uncovered in
johto with many of the other region mega stones
appearing within the region.

Goldenrod itself is home to the Top science lab
in the tohjo area (sinnoh, johto, kanto),
that is creating the first man-made mega stone.

Delta Pokemon+
Delta pokemon that were discovered in two far away regions
have been found and created within johto and the surrounding regions and
have been reclassed for easier classification.
Delta Pokemon

Delta Species are Pokemon scientifically altered or created
and different from their standard species
while having the same base DNA code.

Omega Pokemon

Omega Species are pokemon naturally altered or
scientifically helped to change in the wild (e.g. from direct human
contact or by man-made side-effects) and different from their
standard species while having the same base DNA code.

Screenshots
Working on new Screenshots while
doing pre-release work, might be awhile

Recruitment

Want to help? pop over to this
thread on the team recruitment area!:
https://eeveeexpo.com/threads/663/#post-5167

Downloads

(for demo one you'll need both
the patch and full download, however
for pre-release/later on you just need to get
the patch file unless you haven't downloaded
the full download before.)

Full 1.0 Download-

Full 1.0 Download

1.0 Patch-

1.0 Patch

Credits
(Not complete, still compiling all of them but
these are most of the need to be credited people)

-Luka S.J-
Modular Menu
EBS
Other EBS credits:
-Pokecheck.org
-Dragonnite
-Tebited15
-Sprites-Resource (redblueyellow)

-Eli

-Lilatraube

-BadSamaritan

-AceRidley406

-Mej71- Follower Script
other credits for the Follower Script:
-Help-14
-Zingzags
-Rayd12smitty
-venom12

-KleinStudios- Many Scripts!
Map connection overlap Fix
Footprints Script
In-Field Animation Fix
Shadows Script
Water Bubbles Script
Phenomenos

-Pia Carrot- Turbo Speed Script

-Shiney570-
-Starter Selection Script

-FL-
Simple HUD Optimized
-Deo-Improved day-night lighting

-Camero-Major Error Fixer

Last edited:

Fontbane

Not a Russian Troll
I like the idea of a Johto region- the region itself isn't revisited much on its own, it's usually just an extension of Kanto, and it's cool to see it fleshed out. There's not much to go off of, but I like what you have so far, and that you're willing to change your decision on the level cap if you need to.
As for criticism, there's three things I'd like to say:
  1. The logo seems kinda blurry- did you save it as a png or a jpeg?
  2. The pause menu seems a little crowded to me. I'd suggest moving run toggle and PokéGear to the sidebars, and moving the second row of Pokémon down to the bottom.
  3. The battle scene is the same one as the default EBS- changing around the graphics for the battle scene to give it your own style would make your game look that much nicer.

Charizardthree

Elite Trainer
Sounds cool.
Not convinced on the level increase over lv100. Will you be changing levels of Evolution/Moves to justify the level jump?

ArchyArc

Lead Developer of Pokemon Sacred Johto
Thanks for the criticism! with the lvl 100 increase its in there for most likely legends and or end bosses just so its competition for the player because then stats increase more and messes up some competitive play and/or story battles!

The logo is just from the loading menu and im gonna improve it to less blurry after some new key presses are added!
The battle scene is gonna be changed (hopefully) probably with some custom buttons and maybe my own backgrounds but most likely not for first release!
the menu im gonna look at and see if i can change it! ill probably be removing the run toggle from there as its in the settings, making it more clearer and some small changes like you suggested @Fontbane

Again thanks for the criticism! it all goes towards a better game!

Cilerba

relic artist!
Relic Artist
The main thing that I would like to critique is the fact that there really isn't much to critique.

The first screenshot you included in your post is a dark screenshot in what looks to be a graveyard. This looks really intriguing and makes me start to wonder about where it is, what is its tie into the story/region, etc. But that's it. The three other overworld screenshots you uploaded take place in what I'm assuming is a test map. And in those screenshots, features were shown off that can easily be included in any other fangame because they are public resources.

The rest of your screenshots show nothing more than a fresh install of EBS. Now I know you already addressed the concerns of default UI, so I won't comment on that, but there's no context to any of the battles shown in the screenshots. We don't know who you're battling, where exactly this battle is taking place, or why you have a shiny level 200 Luxray.

You then go on to describe some of the features that will be in your game.
A lot of these features are incredibly vague. Without going into at least some detail about the features, they mean nothing to us and can be interpreted as having little to no meaning to the game's story.

-Other characters
What does this mean?

-Following Pokemon!
Like mentioned above, this is a very simple task. Copying and pasting public resources does not really warrant being advertised as an interesting feature.

-Pokemon from generation 1-6
This is the same as saying "We won't have generation 7 Pokémon." It really doesn't mean anything.

With that said, to improve on this I would highly recommend viewing the threads of other fangames. Take notes on what makes them stand out and what draws players in. However, while doing this try your best not to compare your game to others. It's very easy to get caught up in comparing your game to others and have it really take a hit on your confidence and pride in your project.

And as a last note: Johto is one of my favorite Pokémon regions so I absolutely want to see you go far with this project so please do not take any of my criticism as negativity. If you need any assistance or advice send me a PM and I'd be happy to help you out.

ArchyArc

The main thing that I would like to critique is the fact that there really isn't much to critique.

The first screenshot you included in your post is a dark screenshot in what looks to be a graveyard. This looks really intriguing and makes me start to wonder about where it is, what is its tie into the story/region, etc. But that's it. The three other overworld screenshots you uploaded take place in what I'm assuming is a test map. And in those screenshots, features were shown off that can easily be included in any other fangame because they are public resources.

The rest of your screenshots show nothing more than a fresh install of EBS. Now I know you already addressed the concerns of default UI, so I won't comment on that, but there's no context to any of the battles shown in the screenshots. We don't know who you're battling, where exactly this battle is taking place, or why you have a shiny level 200 Luxray.

You then go on to describe some of the features that will be in your game.
A lot of these features are incredibly vague. Without going into at least some detail about the features, they mean nothing to us and can be interpreted as having little to no meaning to the game's story.

What does this mean?

Like mentioned above, this is a very simple task. Copying and pasting public resources does not really warrant being advertised as an interesting feature.

This is the same as saying "We won't have generation 7 Pokémon." It really doesn't mean anything.

With that said, to improve on this I would highly recommend viewing the threads of other fangames. Take notes on what makes them stand out and what draws players in. However, while doing this try your best not to compare your game to others. It's very easy to get caught up in comparing your game to others and have it really take a hit on your confidence and pride in your project.

And as a last note: Johto is one of my favorite Pokémon regions so I absolutely want to see you go far with this project so please do not take any of my criticism as negativity. If you need any assistance or advice send me a PM and I'd be happy to help you out.

thanks for the criticism ^^; yea i do guess some stuff I've included is just public resources. i do plan for my own style/graphics to stuff like ebs (Buttons and making it not look like a re-textured EBS) and i took screenshots in the test map to not spoil much but i could show the existing cities (its not like i include them in my dev log) instead and with the battles (they were just test battles and at that point i hadn't set up the battle-backs properly) so i could include them and with other characters i dunno why i added that as it only makes sense to me at the moment, and as some battlesprites and OW sprites are still being made (custom/main characters and such) i haven't included a battle for them.
I'll look at other projects and have words with a few other fangame developers i know and try and improve this with their help and so i dont just compare or essentially copy-paste their one. I included gen 1-6 pokemon as some games dont have all them but the majority of them do. so i could change it to say with gen 7 to come? or leave it out for now till they are added!
with following pokemon i added it as a feature as of HGSS having it but i could easily have it in some Overworld screenshots and not include it as a stand alone interesting feature?
and hopefully tomorrow or today (As of college i tend to fall asleep later than usual and as I'm a night person my schedule is thrown off a lot) ill include a battle screenshot of a returning character and ill change
-Returning Old characters
-Old gym leaders
-Other characters
-Other generation Protagonists!
to one combined section and include some detail!
I should PM you later (if i can manage to stay awake ;D) about some stuff and if i should include them!
And with the graveyard it has been updated again and will today to match the area it is near more but will also PM you about that too and other new areas, not included in GSC/HGSS!
I think thats all i have to say for now ^^;

DestinyBond

Human (?)
I just realized that the grass Mawile reminds me of delta Mawile from Insurgence.
On the other hand, is no one gonna say buff Swampert looks like a yokai?

Djaco75

MasterMind
I really like this so far. I think the concept is really cool, especially for Johto fans.

I will say something - all of your battlebacks look the same. Maybe you could add effects to them to change their colour in Photoshop. With my game, I did a blue colour hue for water, green for grass etc.

I do like the following Pokemon and the Elite Trainer concept, though. I can't wait to see where you go with this.

ArchyArc

I really like this so far. I think the concept is really cool, especially for Johto fans.

I will say something - all of your battlebacks look the same. Maybe you could add effects to them to change their colour in Photoshop. With my game, I did a blue colour hue for water, green for grass etc.

I do like the following Pokemon and the Elite Trainer concept, though. I can't wait to see where you go with this.

oh thanks Djaco! and with the battle backs i hadn'tset them up right in the map meta data so they were all the same!

DestinyBond said:
I just realized that the grass Mawile reminds me of delta Mawile from Insurgence.
On the other hand, is no one gonna say buff Swampert looks like a yokai?

Did you put this in the wrong thread destiny? cause i dont have a grass mawile

Last edited:

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
c817c707ed0e4ba69295bc9631c99d32.png

Instead of saying "Player's Party" why not type in "\PN's Party" that way it will utilise the name the player uses for the protagonist.

ArchyArc

Instead of saying "Player's Party" why not type in "\PN's Party" that way it will utilise the name the player uses for the protagonist.

Well i thought of this like you but when i tried that (before i made it just player) it just sayed \PN's xD so yea

ArchyArc

Do you even need to say "players party" it should be obvious it's yours - you could instead use that space to put information like the time, or your current amount of money or something

Yea i could, and again the text is temporary and was gonna be replaced, just gotta find a way to do that so ill be on it asap! may be out for first release depending on how long the trainer sprites take

_pheebs

Demoness on the prowl!
Do you even need to say "players party" it should be obvious it's yours - you could instead use that space to put information like the time, or your current amount of money or something
When I used this, I put the Amount of Seen Pokémon, and the amount of Caught Pokémon.

Could do that.

ArchyArc

When I used this, I put the Amount of Seen Pokémon, and the amount of Caught Pokémon.

Could do that.

Oh thats true sounds cool maybe a bit of both? like time and caught pokemon out of seen pokemon?

Back