• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

I am the author of Pokemon Prism

Hi all, my name's Adam AKA "Koolboyman". I am the author of Pokemon Prism.

I came here, hoping to answer your questions and offer some insight on my experience. My hack Pokemon Prism got well known for reasons I wanted to avoid. I'm glad more people are playing it because of it, but I did not want this kind of baggage to be attached to my game. I hope to get this out of the way and clear up any misconceptions regarding Nintendo's involvement with Prism.

I partnered with Twitch Plays Pokemon in order to complete the game, because for the longest time I wanted to finish Prism and move onto something else. The developers there worked on other ROM Hacks for the stream and the project manager and crew offered to help to finish the game in exchange that Twitch Plays Pokemon gets to play it before the release. I have very little time to ROM Hack these days and I didn't want to drag this out even further. I was ashamed that this was taking so long to finish. So for me it was either get TPP to help out or cancel the game. I accepted TPP's help along with the possibility that Nintendo may notice and not like what I'm doing, but with TPP's numbers not what they used to be 3 years ago I decided go forward. Working with the TPP devs as project manager the project came out better than I could've ever dreamed of and the stream helped me get a better perspective of the game from a player's standpoint and iron out a lot of notable flaws.

I got a takedown(a C&D, not a DMCA) notice days before it was supposed to be released, when I was least expecting it. My twitter and email exploded, I was getting comments from everyone, from those feeling extremely sorry for me and threatening to boycott Nintendo, from others with comments like "Good! Don't make fan games, make your own stuff you thief. Or is that too hard?", "Idiot you wasted 8 years of your life lol.", "Nobody feel sorry for these people, they got exactly what they deserved." and interview requests which I all declined. News sites everywhere were writing about what happened and I couldn't help but look at the comments. I was addicted to seeing everything everyone was saying, while filtering out the good and focusing on the bad. It was a huge shit storm circulating the internet and I felt awful being one of the people responsible for it.

During that day, I convinced myself I made a horrible mistake by spending 8 years of my life working on a fan game and this event would give me negative reputation which would follow me for the rest of my life. Even ridiculous claims were spreading, like "he started a Patreon" or "He faked the C&D" or "He can't make anything original himself so he has to piggyback on a successful franchise to get known". My goal in life is to become a professional video game developer, and Prism was meant to be a stepping stone? Sure, I knew Prism might get me fans, but that's not why I made it. I wanted to craft my own kind of Pokemon experience and educate myself with the development process. What about my fans too? They've waited so long for this and I'm no longer allowed to release it. I've been called a coward by some of my former fans by just "giving in" to Nintendo, but I will not have a legal battle with Nintendo which if I lost, would ruin my life.

People close to me felt it would be best if I disconnected myself from the internet, since I was miserable during that day. So I did for a few days. Little did I know, that the game was leaked and I didn't even know about it until later.

As time went by, everything settled down. People were playing the game, I complied with Nintendo's resolutions and now we're on good terms with each other, and I've moved onto another project.

The times I spoke with Nintendo, they stated that they knew I wasn't trying to "steal their IP" and they understand my reasoning for making a fan project in the first place. The problem was, that it got way too popular to the point that it may have threatened the official Pokemon games and they had no choice to shut it down, which I fully understand. If you look at the C&D I received, they even understand that I am a fan and that they appreciate it. I still plan to buy Nintendo products and I might even develop an indie game for the Switch.

As long as you keep your game on the down low and don't profit off of it, your fan game should be fine. That means no Youtube trailers or any pieces of promotional material. The Youtube trailer for Prism got over 1.4 million views, and I only expected maybe 2%-3% of that, so even if you think your promotional material will be fine, you should be better safe than sorry.

We go into this knowing that we won't be able to make a cent. We have a passion for the Pokemon franchise and want to provide our own take on it. Many people, including me, go into fan game development without knowing anything, but come out as a competent game developer, ready to take on original projects. I've moved on from Pokemon and I'm developing two projects right now and the experience I gathered from developing Prism made it possible. If people don't like fan games that's fine, but to me it's a very useful learning too which has proven time and time again as a way for people to enter the professional industry. If anyone makes a fan game out of my future games, I would feel honored and encourage them to see their take on what I did. You should be proud at what you're able to accomplish and don't let other people say otherwise.

I've even spoken to AAA game developers who have said that there's nothing wrong with Prism, and some of the hacks/mods and free fan games done on their games were cool. Not everyone's going to have that response and I can't speak for all game developers, but from my experience, the people who develop these games are usually fine with fan created content and games based off of their work. The notice I also got was from Nintendo and Nintendo only, not Gamefreak who develops the games. As a test I submitted an application for a job to Gamefreak with Pokemon Prism on my resume and cover letter, and they responded thanking me for my submission and resume, but I have to know Japanese if I want to continue the process. There's no guarantee that they'd hire me even if I knew Japanese, I may have been unqualified. But the fact that they replied a week later to what I submitted at all (which I made sure wasn't just a stock copy/paste response), made me feel a hell of a lot better about myself. Also, read where the developers go on record regarding fan games: https://gamerant.com/pokemon-producer-fan-games-reaction/ again, I am not saying all developers will be OK with fan games, but based on my experiences and that public statement, Gamefreak doesn't seem to mind them.

While that situation was really tough on me, I can say that I came out of it as a better person. A person with a new perspective on the world. It's only made me stronger and more prepared to face the inevitable hardships I'll face in the future.

Now that that's out of the way, let me just say I've put my heart and soul into Pokemon Prism. My main goal was to provide my perspective on what Pokemon is and what Pokemon could be as a game that I would love playing myself, and it's helped educate and kickstart my career in game development.

So, feel free to ask of any questions you might have, whether it's about Prism, Brown, or what I've been doing.

I'm not done with game development, I'm just getting started, so stay tuned. :)

Last edited:
First off, thank you for posting this.

Your thoughts and insights into what went on have been a really interesting read, myself and many more greatly appreciate that you were willing to take the time to write this up. Needless to say that not many people have been in your position, nor with the level of integrity that you've shown about the situation. I've personally been following your work since 2006, so it's been pretty crazy to see all of this unfold. Your attitude and optimism for the future are very admirable!

I do have a few questions if you're willing to answer them:
  • Looking back on Prism (the game itself), is there anything you would have done differently? I think I remember you mentioning the Magikarp puzzle once, but I'm curious to see if there's anything else you feel strongly about.
  • What was your favorite part of developing Brown and Prism? (eg. mapping, spriting, etc)
  • If you're able to share, what are you currently working on?
Once again, thank you for taking the time to talk to us!

Jephed

Trainer
Hi Adam. After everything that happened I'm glad that you were willing to post about it here. I personally see your message as an eye opener and a warning. It really inspires me how you manage to look back positively on your project though.
Now that I really pay more attention, I can see that many game devs including myself tend to be too enthousiastic about showing their fan game to the world. I'll be sure to learn from everything you said.

NoodlesButt

Addicted to Jams
Woh, there were quite a few things I didn't know until I read your post. It's pretty nice to see Nintendo look at you as a fan and not a thief as some people claim fan game developers are. I'm glad you took something positive out of this because the recent take-downs of Pokémon fan games made me worry about what would happen to the community but you have definitely reassured me that what we're doing is just for fun and experience! I'd also like to know what you're currently working on, if possible?

Evan

game director, Pokémon Sea & Sky
Hey Adam-

You've got a great attitude on things. I've seen this kind of thing go down with a very different outlook, and it's honestly quite inspiring to see how understanding you are of all parties and how it hasn't killed your drive to make games at all. Keep up the great work dude.

Shgeldz

:eyes:
Hey man this was a great read, and really quite inspiring.

Its always helpful to get insight into what not to do.

This is may be too much of an ask, but would it be possible to get a copy of what the C&D letter was, with redacted personal info? Could be helpful as a "don't do this" list. Totally fine if you're not comfortable or able to do that.

Darius_Oak

The Snark Knight
We decided to cancel our game because of Uranium's C&D, and Prism's sorta bolstered that decision, but that's specifically because we knew that if our game got big (and if things went as planned it definitely would have), we'd get the same deal. We're working on original projects now, and I'm poking at making smaller-scale fangames again.

But I did want to say that, while I'm not much for Gen II and probably wouldn't have played the game proper, I became something of a fan after listening to this. I think Prism was the first fangame that ever caught my attention, long before I started writing Pokemon music. And then I started writing fangame ideas in 2013, go figure.

I never did publish anything, but at least I've written a lot of cool stuff.

Koolboyman

Rookie
First off, thank you for posting this.

Your thoughts and insights into what went on have been a really interesting read, myself and many more greatly appreciate that you were willing to take the time to write this up. Needless to say that not many people have been in your position, nor with the level of integrity that you've shown about the situation. I've personally been following your work since 2006, so it's been pretty crazy to see all of this unfold. Your attitude and optimism for the future are very admirable!

I do have a few questions if you're willing to answer them:
  • Looking back on Prism (the game itself), is there anything you would have done differently? I think I remember you mentioning the Magikarp puzzle once, but I'm curious to see if there's anything else you feel strongly about.
  • What was your favorite part of developing Brown and Prism? (eg. mapping, spriting, etc)
  • If you're able to share, what are you currently working on?
Once again, thank you for taking the time to talk to us!

- Not that much, there were a few things I wanted to add but couldn't be done by the Christmas release and I thought about the possibility of adding them in post-patch updates if the C&D didn't happen.
- Developing and breathing life into the Naljo region. I'm very happy how that turned out along with the variety of NPCs with conflicting views on the world. The region was divided, but I did my best to keep both sides neutral, and let the player decide for himself which were the "good guys" and "bad guys".
- It's an augmented reality game. I got fascinated with the technology last year when the company I work let me do some R&D with it. I knew I had to do something with it after trying out all the demos. It's not that big, but I will be working on a bigger afterwards targeted for Steam.

Hi Adam. After everything that happened I'm glad that you were willing to post about it here. I personally see your message as an eye opener and a warning. It really inspires me how you manage to look back positively on your project though.
Now that I really pay more attention, I can see that many game devs including myself tend to be too enthousiastic about showing their fan game to the world. I'll be sure to learn from everything you said.

I wanted to give off a warning to other developers because I don't want to see this happen to someone else.

I can either be bitter about the whole situation, or I can look at what I've learned from the situation and Prism's whole development process and use that to help me move forward. "A life with no failure is a life with no experience."

Woh, there were quite a few things I didn't know until I read your post. It's pretty nice to see Nintendo look at you as a fan and not a thief as some people claim fan game developers are. I'm glad you took something positive out of this because the recent take-downs of Pokémon fan games made me worry about what would happen to the community but you have definitely reassured me that what we're doing is just for fun and experience! I'd also like to know what you're currently working on, if possible?

Yeah, this clarification was also not meant to clarify my actions regarding Prism, but also Nintendo's. Many people attacked Nintendo when Prism was taken down, but they were attacking the wrong people who had nothing to do with this decision. Nintendo is not just one person, there are thousands of employees, it's just that one of them felt from a business perspective it might be best to shut down Prism which makes sense. As I said above, I'm doing an augmented reality game and I'll be doing a PC/Steam game afterwards. For the latter, I'm going to really let my imagination run wild and take a lot of risks. I created a cast of characters that I'm really excited to deal with. It's the kind of characters that no matter what situation you put them in, it'll be fun with them just being themselves.

Hey Adam-

You've got a great attitude on things. I've seen this kind of thing go down with a very different outlook, and it's honestly quite inspiring to see how understanding you are of all parties and how it hasn't killed your drive to make games at all. Keep up the great work dude.

Thanks. I was demotivated from the event for sure, but I did want to move on from Prism for years and do something else. But I wanted to create a completed product which is a huge undertaking that I wanted to achieve, and the only alternative was to throw away years of hard work and start from scratch with something else.

Hey man this was a great read, and really quite inspiring.

Its always helpful to get insight into what not to do.

This is may be too much of an ask, but would it be possible to get a copy of what the C&D letter was, with redacted personal info? Could be helpful as a "don't do this" list. Totally fine if you're not comfortable or able to do that.

Thanks. I dont want people to repeat the same mistakes that I and other game devs did. I actually have it somewhere online, I cant remember where it is at the moment though.

We decided to cancel our game because of Uranium's C&D, and Prism's sorta bolstered that decision, but that's specifically because we knew that if our game got big (and if things went as planned it definitely would have), we'd get the same deal. We're working on original projects now, and I'm poking at making smaller-scale fangames again.

But I did want to say that, while I'm not much for Gen II and probably wouldn't have played the game proper, I became something of a fan after listening to this. I think Prism was the first fangame that ever caught my attention, long before I started writing Pokemon music. And then I started writing fangame ideas in 2013, go figure.

I never did publish anything, but at least I've written a lot of cool stuff.

Sorry to hear that game stopped, but I'm happy you're continuing to work on games. I'm really proud of how the music turned out too, we had some amazing composers for the project. I wish you the best of luck in your future projects and hope you publish something great!

Last edited:

Shgeldz

:eyes:
- Not that much, there were a few things I wanted to add but couldn't be done by the Christmas release and I thought about the possibility of adding them in post-patch updates if the C&D didn't happen.
- Developing and breathing life into the Naljo region. I'm very happy how that turned out along with the variety of NPCs with conflicting views on the world. The region was divided, but I did my best to keep both sides neutral, and let the player decide for himself which were the "good guys" and "bad guys".
- It's an augmented reality game. I got fascinated with the technology last year when the company I work let me do some R&D with it. I knew I had to do something with it after trying out all the demos. It's not that big, but I will be working on a bigger afterwards targeted for Steam.

I wanted to give off a warning to other developers because I don't want to see this happen to someone else.

I can either be bitter about the whole situation, or I can look at what I've learned from the situation and Prism's whole development process and use that to help me move forward. A life without failure is a life without experience.

Yeah, this clarification was also not meant to clarify my actions regarding Prism, but also Nintendo's. Many people attacked Nintendo when Prism was taken down, but they were attacking the wrong people who had nothing to do with this decision. Nintendo is not just one person, there are thousands of employees, it's just that one of them felt from a business perspective it might be best to shut down Prism which makes sense. As I said above, I'm doing an augmented reality game and I'll be doing a PC/Steam game afterwards. For the latter, I'm going to really let my imagination run wild and take a lot of risks. I created a cast of characters that I'm really excited to deal with. It's the kind of characters that no matter what situation you put them in, it'll be fun with them just being themselves.

Thanks. I was demotivated from the event for sure, but I did want to move on from Prism for years and do something else. But I wanted to create a completed product which is a huge undertaking that I wanted to achieve, and the only alternative was to throw away years of hard work and start from scratch with something else.

Thanks. I dont want people to repeat the same mistakes that I and other game devs did. I actually have it somewhere online, I cant remember where it is at the moment though.

Sorry to hear that game stopped, but I'm happy you're continuing to work on games. I'm really proud of how the music turned out too, we had some amazing composers for the project. I wish you the best of luck in your future projects and hope you publish something great!
Found it thanks to @Deo posting it here for everyone to take a look at! Thanks again KBM. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0f-_m_8on7BLVhuYnV2a2tuR3M/view

Koolboyman

Rookie
Found it thanks to @Deo posting it here for everyone to take a look at! Thanks again KBM. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0f-_m_8on7BLVhuYnV2a2tuR3M/view

Thanks for finding that. It clearly states in the doc about Nintendo's position in the matter.

While it was issued from an Australia law firm who acted in behalf of Nintendo's representative and I live in the US (because the site was hosted in Australia), I still complied because it became clear what Nintendo's position on Prism was and they just thought I lived in the wrong country. It's also mentioned that the breach also extends to the US. I didn't want to dance around the mistake which would've just caused more problems. Nintendo wanted me to stop because they felt it was a threat to their bottom line, so I stopped.

Limesy

Rookie
Hey Adam, thank you for taking time to come and post here!
This whole thing is really fascinating, and I'm glad to hear it has affected you positively overall.

I also have some questions, if you feel like answering them:
  • Are there any features you wanted to add to Prism, but didn't? (Be it due to your Christmas 2016 deadline, or you just deciding against it.)
  • What were the biggest challenges or hurdles to overcome while developing?
  • If you hadn't received a C&D, do you think you would have started a new Pokémon related project - or did you already feel like Prism would be the last?
  • Have you played any fan games yourself? If so, which are your favorites?
  • What are your thoughts on Rainbow Devs, who are set out to "finish the legacy of Pokemon Prism"? Do you see any parallels between them updating your creation, Prism, and you making a fan game that Nintendo created?
Thank you and good luck with your future game development, I can't wait to see what you bring to the table!

Involuntary Twitch

Pixel Artist & Writer
As somebody who has gone through almost the exact same thing when I received a Cease & Desist for Uranium -- albeit a month after release and not days before, which I realize must have been so much more painful -- I understand where you're coming from here. It's really painful to have a project that you dedicate so much of your time, energy, and creativity to be ripped from your hands. It's a difficult lesson to learn and something that's unique to fan games. While other indie games have to worry about other things, like commercial failure, bad reviews and glitches and bugs, only us fan game devs have to worry about the existence of our games being challenged by the very franchise we're trying to homage.

I still remember our conversation when I reached out to you as soon as I heard the news of the shutdown. I hope I was able to provide support and guidance for you in what I'm certain was a very emotionally difficult time. And I'm sorry your game's legacy became "that game that was shut down by Nintendo" instead of the incredible labor of love that Prism actually is. (I've played it, and FWIW, it's a lot of fun.)

I'm excited to hear you're moving on to become a professional game developer. With your creativity, management skills and work ethic, I have little doubt you'll succeed. And you can count on our support when you do.

manta

★★★★★
Thanks for posting this, Adam. The insight onto your thoughts regarding Prism's development and handling of the C&D is interesting. Since you're becoming a professional game developer, I'm excited to see what you'll come up with next.

Koolboyman

Rookie
As somebody who has gone through almost the exact same thing when I received a Cease & Desist for Uranium -- albeit a month after release and not days before, which I realize must have been so much more painful -- I understand where you're coming from here. It's really painful to have a project that you dedicate so much of your time, energy, and creativity to be ripped from your hands. It's a difficult lesson to learn and something that's unique to fan games. While other indie games have to worry about other things, like commercial failure, bad reviews and glitches and bugs, only us fan game devs have to worry about the existence of our games being challenged by the very franchise we're trying to homage.

I still remember our conversation when I reached out to you as soon as I heard the news of the shutdown. I hope I was able to provide support and guidance for you in what I'm certain was a very emotionally difficult time. And I'm sorry your game's legacy became "that game that was shut down by Nintendo" instead of the incredible labor of love that Prism actually is. (I've played it, and FWIW, it's a lot of fun.)

I'm excited to hear you're moving on to become a professional game developer. With your creativity, management skills and work ethic, I have little doubt you'll succeed. And you can count on our support when you do.

You helped me through that tough time along with the Insurgence developer. Thank you for your help (which you provided after just a few minutes of the C&D announcement). I haven't gotten the chance to play Uranium for myself yet, but you have to remember, that this kind of controversy is drying up. The more time that goes by, the more people focus on the actual products instead of controversies. I'm seeing that with Prism and I'm also seeing that with Uranium. People are making lets plays of our games every single day and they are having fun, and if you look at the comments people are enjoying watching with rarely any discussion about the incidents. Not everyone's going to like what we did and might think that we're morally in the wrong by making a game based off of an IP we don't own, and they absolutely have the right to feel this way and talk about it. But we're not going to please everyone, that's impossible.

I made the mistake on focusing on very specific comment sections from people who knew nothing about the situation aside that Nintendo told me to stop. But I let it get to me anyway that day, which was completely my fault. I know who I am and what my intentions were going into this, but not everyone's take the time to learn or accept them and I shouldn't let them convince me that I did things that I didn't do. The most ridiculous comments I got however, were assumptions I could see into the future and know what would happen to fan games released in 2016 when I first started Prism in 2008, with comments like "Why did you spent 8 years on something like this? Don't you know it'll just get shut down like Uranium?"

Looking back, there was a lot of support, and while I did get people who wanted to kick me while I was down on Twitter, most of it was positive support. Fan games will continue to be taken down (just look at the recently taken down Breath of the NES), but if it happens it's important that you focus on the people backing you up but also understand, you're going to see people who don't like what you do (or make assumptions), and they have the right to say so.

Thanks again for the support, I really appreciate it. Even though the games are out of our hands now, a lot of people love our games and we should both be proud at what we were able to accomplish. :)

Hey Adam, thank you for taking time to come and post here!
This whole thing is really fascinating, and I'm glad to hear it has affected you positively overall.

I also have some questions, if you feel like answering them:
  • Are there any features you wanted to add to Prism, but didn't? (Be it due to your Christmas 2016 deadline, or you just deciding against it.)
  • What were the biggest challenges or hurdles to overcome while developing?
  • If you hadn't received a C&D, do you think you would have started a new Pokémon related project - or did you already feel like Prism would be the last?
  • Have you played any fan games yourself? If so, which are your favorites?
  • What are your thoughts on Rainbow Devs, who are set out to "finish the legacy of Pokemon Prism"? Do you see any parallels between them updating your creation, Prism, and you making a fan game that Nintendo created?
Thank you and good luck with your future game development, I can't wait to see what you bring to the table!

- A couple of things, mostly the post storyline that was meant to wrap up the Naljo guardians storyline that was meant to come in post release patches. Right now it just kind of drops off and Rijon's as barren as Kanto was in GSC, which is what I wanted to avoid. At least Rijon didn't shrink.
- There was several, but the biggest challenge was trying find balance between what I wanted to do while being respectful to the official lore that Gamefreak already set up. It would also give people the thought of "Who knows? Maybe Rijon really is South of Johto in GSC just inaccessible", just like how Johto presumably exists in Pokemon Red's universe as well but goes inaccessible and unmentioned.
- No. Prism was planned to be my last Pokemon game, the C&D just forced me to move on from it and focus on my own game a few months early.
- The fan games I found inspirational was Zelda: Parallel Worlds and very old Dragon Warrior hack from 2003 called Dragoon X Omega. It showed me what could be done with ROM Hacks and motivated me to take that path with Pokemon fan games.
- I'm humbled that a group of people have decided to dedicate a lot of time to finishing Prism in a way that I would have wanted. I didn't tell anyone to continue the game, they decided that they loved my creation so much, that they want to do everything possible to not only keep it alive, but polish it to the nth degree to ensure that everyone will play the best experience that Prism can provide.

Thanks for posting this, Adam. The insight onto your thoughts regarding Prism's development and handling of the C&D is interesting. Since you're becoming a professional game developer, I'm excited to see what you'll come up with next.

Thanks, I can't wait to tell everyone what I've been up to!

Last edited:

U.Flame

Rookie
How much detail are you willing/allowed to go into about the plans you had for Prism? I doubt you could get directly involved with Rainbow Devs, but would you be able to explain some unfinished ideas in detail to kind of indirectly help them?

Speaking of legality issues, how much are you (and by extension, we) allowed to talk about the content in the leaked version? I would like to discuss it but I don't want to cross any lines.

Djaco75

MasterMind
I feel bad for you. Imaging putting in all that work only to get shut down....

Anyway, I've got a burning question I would like to ask - how did you react to the news you were getting shut down? What did you first feel?

Sorry for taking up your time, but I would really like some form of insight on this.

Koolboyman

Rookie
How much detail are you willing/allowed to go into about the plans you had for Prism? I doubt you could get directly involved with Rainbow Devs, but would you be able to explain some unfinished ideas in detail to kind of indirectly help them?

Speaking of legality issues, how much are you (and by extension, we) allowed to talk about the content in the leaked version? I would like to discuss it but I don't want to cross any lines.

It should be fine to discuss, Nintendo never said anything about me being quiet about Prism. I followed Nintendo's resolutions: Shut down the website, remove all downloads, don't release Prism and don't work on other Nintendo fan projects. I'm going to use some of the unused ideas for the next game, so I'm going to keep quiet about them. As far as what Rainbow Devs have planned for post game content, your guess is as good as mine.

I feel bad for you. Imaging putting in all that work only to get shut down....

Anyway, I've got a burning question I would like to ask - how did you react to the news you were getting shut down? What did you first feel?

Sorry for taking up your time, but I would really like some form of insight on this.

I and the rest of the team assumed (and was hoping) it was fake, because other fan projects got fake C&Ds before. I called the law office and confirmed it was real. As I said, the bad comments got to me and made me feel I truly wasted 8 years of my life on a fan game and I spent the next few days wishing I never made Prism after reading comments guilt tripping me and the other devs.

As I said, Prism was for practice to help me prepare for my future projects and it was a fun hobby too that would also help me with my career goals. I have several more decades ahead of myself to develop some great stuff and it'll be possible because of what I learned while developing Prism. I probably couldve made my own game and gain experience that way but that's not the path I chose for my first "huge" game and I don't regret it even if its an unorthodox approach.

After talking to family, friends (including people the game industry and indie developers), they helped convince me that I shouldn't beat myself up to much and that there is a definite path forward for me in my career. Some people who I didnt speak to in years reached out to me as well. My Dad really helped me, he hacked games on the Commodore 64 before I was even born for fun, but felt that making fan game ROM Hacks were a waste of time and was one of the many parents during the late 90's Pokemon craze who thought the franchise was ridiculously stupid. After I told him what happened and he knew I was upset, he decided to take a look and he said he was impressed and that I "Made a lot of people happy" and encouraged me that it's not going to hurt my future just because Nintendo told me to stop. To hear that from him after a decade of him dismissing ROM Hacks as a waste of time was really uplifting.

Sorry if that was too elaborate, pretentious and redundant. But it took a lot of great people close to me to convince me that Im in a good place. If it werent for them I would have quit making games altogether and search for a new career. Im very thankful that I know these people.

Last edited:

U.Flame

Rookie
It should be fine to discuss, Nintendo never said anything about me being quiet about Prism. I followed Nintendo's resolutions: Shut down the website, remove all downloads, don't release Prism and don't work on other Nintendo fan projects. I'm going to use some of the unused ideas for the next game, so I'm going to keep quiet about them. As far as what Rainbow Devs have planned for post game content, your guess is as good as mine.

I really appreciate you taking the time to answer our questions. Prism is a great game, whether or not it's complete, and I think you're a great developer and person for making this all possible. That said, there was a lot I wanted to ask about the content in Prism, but none of it is coming to mind right now. I'll be sure to raise questions as I remember them. I guess for now, I want to know how you intended to finish the Naljo Guardian storyline.

Back