• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

In Development Pokémon: Vigorous City

This project is a work in progress. The content is subject to change, and not finished yet.
Project Status
Discontinued
2bd65d4eff.png

This game was made for the Relic Castle Game Jam # 5

-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-

Set in a fictional city in Florida, Pokémon suddenly start to emerge into the noisy, bustling Citrus County center in a world where Pokémon do not previously exist! The situation escalates as police lock-down the city, preventing anyone from entering and leaving. It's all a bit too much for our impatient protagonist! However, in time, things change, and she must learn to grow from amongst the strife and into the real world's first Pokémon Master! Explore Citrus County and its various facilities to find new opportunities to aid you in your quest to lift the lock-down and the various incidents that now plague the city.

-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-#-

TEAM:

Ranko-chan - Story, Eventing, Spriting, Scripting, Writing, Dialogue, etc.

Roshimitsu - Portraits

SCREENSHOTS

5526f59129.png

c3f8ef379c.png

6a48d8a88f.png

597da2cbd9.png

a7204842b8.png

FEATURES:
(Note: As this game was only done in a month, many features are not yet implemented)
The Journey!

- Featuring two eccentric protagonists, the mystery behind the invasion and the lock-down advances as time goes on.
- What additional conflicts await them as the situation grows bleaker? Is there a solution to the madness that inhabits the city? What will eventually happen to the world if left unchecked?

Time System!

- Certain actions, such as talking to NPCs and triggering events, will pass the time (viewable in the Pause menu).​

- Depending on how you utilize your time, you may unlock new cutscenes, areas, or even Pokémon!​
- Some events are available during certain time-frames, while others are available by just simply waiting for a certain time...​

Many interactables!
- The city is sprawling with unique flavor text and interactable NPCs.​
- Some NPCs are more important, and may even become reoccurring characters if interacted with enough! Some will merely say different things depending on previous decisions and actions made in relation to the city.​
- Not all Pokémon forced into the city are aggressive. Some of them are actually quite scared and may need to be negotiated with instead!​

An ever-changing, bustling city!
- The city will start to change as time moves on and as Pokémon start to move into the city.​
- NPCs will also react to the current climate in the city and may change their views, dialogue, or allegiances.​
- Everyone is affected by the city lockdown and the invasion of Pokémon in some way, shape, or form. Listen to their stories and you'll gain information you can use in other parts of the city.​

Date System!
- The game starts on Sunday, at 3:00 PM and goes on for multiple complete days.​
- Some events will carry over to the next day, while others will not. Some events can only be triggered during certain days.​
- At the start of each day, more incidents occur within the city, so yesterday's non-issue may become tomorrow's problem!​

Partner Battles!
- You didn't think you were alone, did you? You'll have help from your new friend who's a stranger to the city, but familiar with how Pokémon work.​
- Sometimes, you'll even have to battle together to solve incidents in the city.​
- Of course, sometimes you'll have to do things yourself...​

READ ME

IMPORTANT NOTES ESPECIALLY FOR CONTENT CREATORS
If you are a content creator looking to cover this game, please note this download currently only includes the prologue, as eventing everything to my desire was impossible to do in a month. It's roughly 15-40 minutes of game-play depending on how you decide to spend your time (There is a unreal-time system in this game, where time advances depending on how you spend it and that may open new events). Additionally, there is only one battle after getting your starter. I'm really sorry.

For MAXIMUM PLAY TIME, I recommend interacting with everything you can think of. Just about every choice triggers a branching path/new event.

Other than that, this is my very first game. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, but i want to get better.

IF YOU PLAYED IT PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THOUGHT AND ANY SUGGESTIONS YOU MAY HAVE!

I will also continue to work on it. Thank you!

DOWNLOAD v 1.2 (Prologue)

Project Vigor 1.1 (Prologue)
- Adjusted cutscenes I didn't think were absolutely perfect.
- Cut out file size by eliminating stuff that wasn't supposed to be there.

1.1 :
GoogleDrive Download

Latest: Project Vigor 1.2 (Prologue)

• Equalized the music volume in each part of the game.
  • The amount of NPCs to talk to have increased.
  • Adjusted horrible eventing in parts of the map to speed up the game.
  • Fixed some cutscene pacing, NPC dialogue that forgot a comma, and adjusted pauses that were 2 seconds too long.
  • Sorry, it still ends at the same part.

1.2:
GoogleDrive Download

RESOURCE PACK

Includes custom graphics that I edited or made for the game. Not needed to play.
GoogleDrive Download

CREDITS

Pokemon Essentials:
Poccil
Flameguru
Maruno
FL.
P-Sign

Moca's Generation 4 Tileset Compilation:

Magiscarf
WesleyFG
SailorVicious (Formerly known as Heavy-Metal-Lover)
Shawn Frost
NSora-96
PeekyChew
Kyle-Dove
Claisprojects.com
Minorthreat0987
The-Red-Ex
UltimoSpriter
TyranitarDark
DarkDragonn
rafa-cac
Phyromatical
Alucus
Newtiteuf
ChaoticCherryCake
moca

Indoor Ruleset:
Akizakura16

Neospriteman's Gen 4 Overworld Sprite Pack
Dewitty, Bulbapedia.Bulbagarden.net, Nintendo, Chocosrawloid, Kymotonian, milomilotic11, and Neo-Spriteman.

Diamond and Pearl Tileset:
Kyledove, Saurave, rhevarhe_duh, ShinyLugia249, and POKEM4NlAC

Gen 4 Character Customization:
Coffee Cup/ Poltergeist

Araragi Hanamonogatari Battle Sprite:
AbsoluteXandy

Gen 4 Serena:
PizzaSun
Tebited

Gen 4 Hoenn People:

Kyle Dove

Viridian Forest picture- Pokemon
Lumiose City picture- Pokemon Anime

Sounds

City Ambience - Lezer @ soundbible.com
Train Station Ambience - Eaglechopper @ freesounds.org

Day/Night Tone:

Deo

Unreal Time System:
FL

Mr. Gela's Name Windows:
mej71
Mr. Gela, i think

Ultra Wormhole:
Ultithium Dragon

Music:

Cinnamon! Cinnamon! - Automata Girl
Septette for the Dead Princess - Shinkyou Watarai/Gensou
Trial Underground - Danganronpa V3
Jubilife City (Day) - Pokemon Diamond & Pearl
Happening at the Lake! - Diamond and Pearl
Main Menu - Pokemon Battle Revolution
Poketopia Skyline - Pokemon Battle Revolution
Main Street Colosseum - Pokemon Battle Revolution

New animated and modular Title Screen for Pokemon Essentials-

Luka S.J.

Emotional Support:
Relic Castle Discord. Thank you for putting up with my ****. I'm a broken person.

Last edited:

ranko

The Wind and Snow Continue to Stare
Expo Team
First! This is my first game ever, so if you took the time to play through, please leave your impressions so I can make it better!

This is going to double as a progressions post that I'll edit as I go. Expect next versions of this game to at the very LEAST will add another day to the game.

Additionally, I am also recruiting for more hands on the game! Working by myself and being inexperienced with Essentials results in me turning into an emotional mess. Specifically, I'm looking for Spriters, Q/A, Mappers, and Scene Assistance. More details: Recruitment Thread

Current Version: 1.2

- Equalized the music volume in each part of the game.
- The amount of NPCs to talk to have increased.
- Adjusted horrible eventing in parts of the map to speed up the game.
- Fixed some cutscene pacing, NPC dialogue that forgot a comma, and adjusted pauses that were 2 seconds too long.

Project Vigor v 2.0 will include:

• The end of Day 2 at the very least.
  • Fixing the end of the prologue to allow you to continue the game (yeah obviously, but I don't like the dialogue either so I'll edit the scene entirely.)
  • Day 1 will have new events that will dictate what starter Pokémon you'll get.
  • Whatever needs to be fixed, unless it's urgent.
  • More battles. I promise. I know that it's dry right now.
Progress: 15% - BUTTONS ARE BEING PRESSED THINGS ARE BEING WRITTEN. (Updated 9/13/2019)

Last edited:

sprout

Rookie
From what I've played so far, this seems like a charming little game. I look forward to seeing more!

Kartik

Disappointment
Okie so I just finished the game...

It looks really beautiful and polished at the moment, as soon as I started the transitions already stole my heart!
The intro and cutscenes look really good apart from a few speed errors like you can see Amber dashing in one fade out-fade in, and if you start I think the last cutscene at the left place you are teleported to the right which was a bit weird but nothing game-breaking.

In the end, it is really nice and I'll be looking forward to its releases!

Also, you made a dumb error in the compilation- the RGSS already contains the graphics, fonts and data folders and you added 'em twice making the game a bit bigger in size. The music is compressible too from like 220mb to around 40mb!

Last edited:

ranko

Expo Team
Okie so I just finished the game...

It looks really beautiful and polished at the moment, as soon as I started the transitions already stole my heart!
The intro and cutscenes look really good apart from a few speed errors like you can see Amber dashing in one fade out-fade in, and if you start I think the last cutscene at the left place you are teleported to the right which was a bit weird but nothing game-breaking.

In the end, it is really nice and I'll be looking forward to its releases!

Also, you made a dumb error in the compilation- the RGSS already contains the graphics, fonts and data folders and you added 'em twice making the game a bit bigger in size.

!!! Thanks so much for the feedback! I'm very happy you enjoyed the game!

Also could you pleeeease show me the few errors you mentioned so i can fix it? I'd very much appreciate it!

ranko

Expo Team
Sorry for the bump! Fixing some game breaking bugs (well, they were for me). The download has been updated in the original thread.

v 1.2:

- Equalized the music volume in each part of the game.
- The amount of NPCs to talk to have increased.
- Adjusted horrible eventing in parts of the map to speed up the game.
- Fixed some cutscene pacing, NPC dialogue that forgot a comma, and adjusted pauses that were 2 seconds too long.
- Sorry, it still ends at the same part.

Still working on 2.0! Please let me know if something is still wrong with the game! I apologize for the inconvenience in advance!

ranko

Expo Team
All right, here come some news (probably good?!)

I'm switching engines from Pokémon Essentials to PSDK, which means the entire game (well, it's kinda barely one anyway) is being rebuilt from the ground up. It may take awhile for an actual demo, but it's going to look great I swear!

That's all for now!

Reactions: Ott
Okie I know I'm commenting on a thread for a game that has been discontinued, so I won't say too much, but wow it was really interesting going back to your first game! I think I've now played all of them, in the following order: Chasing Glory-> GOK 2-> GOK 1 -> Bloodlines ->Battle Spotlight (ik you didn't lead it but you helped)-> Vigorous City and like damn, tbh I'm kinda feeling a bit sentimental having seen all this now. It is also kinda funny that the last game of yours I've played is your first.

I'll be honest, I kinda expected something meh, most people don't do a good job with their first game. But this game has that Ranko Charm (tm). You're deadly perfectionism is still present even in here haha. And by that I mean all your eventing is really well done. Obviously your recent projects (cough cough GoK 2) have even more beautiful and clean eventing (GoK 2 really has some awesome scenes) HOWEVER, your eventing in here is better than most GOOD pokemon fangames, not just most pokemon fangames, but most GOOD fangames.

I'm talking about the sweeping establishing shots, I'm talking about the quirky and funny dialogue, I'm talking about how when the kid is being dragged by his mum, he is actually dragged by her and stays looking at what he was looking at, the way the magmorter turns his head, how nice the pokeball tossing in the overworld looks, the paralyze animation in the overworld. ITS ALL SO SOLID AND NICE. YOU ARE THE EVENTING QUEEN AREN'T YOU. AAAAAAAA

But yes, eventing is amazing, but just to note on a few other aspects I enjoyed: Amber is so cute. The things she says, and her design. When I saw her throwing animation it really hit me how cute her design is. Make her come back please.

And finally, just the concept is really cool. A reverse isekai?? idk what to call it, but having a pokemon fangame set in a non-pokemon world, that's god damn fun, loved seeing Amber getting cornered by a piplup confused as heck.

There isn't much point in giving critique since you've already improved, so I'll focus on that. I think one of the weak points of this game was when you are walking around there is the one song playing, and it doesn't loop. It sounds a bit odd. But having just played Bloodlines, you kinda knocked the music direction out of the park with that game, so that's really cool to see.

Thank you for everything you've contributed to the pokemon fangame community ranko, you and your games are a gem in this community, and your work is so inspirational <3

Back