• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Daycare

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Project Version
4XPBnq9.gif

T0MO7pG.png
YqUtTZ5.png
gcBsuXS.png
SNPcqDc.png
EA0PPkR.png
syZdkxS.png
pDVvqCn.png

New in v1.1
p3AxnJ9.png
nc6SWhq.png

New in v1.2
SHjVxlo.gif
A54qMLy.png
Game Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/xgh7bztg3bpwg4t/Pokemon_Daycare.zip/file

V1.2.2 Patch: https://www.mediafire.com/file/zn1abzkpw9v8zzn/Pokemon_Daycare_v1.2.2.zip/file (This patch contains just the data folder, so you'll need the full game first. Saves should stay compatible, at least in my tests. Patched games will now have a v1.2.2 in the bottom right corner.)
Made Using: Pokémon Essentials
Team: Vendily!
Notes: This game involves a decent bit of randomness, from the text the trainers say, to the Pokémon a trainer has. It's not purely random, it picks from pools, but there's always the possibility of some events taking a while to occur, like getting an egg (there needs to be at least 2 compatible Pokémon), or a trainer returning to pick up their deposited Pokémon (it is weighted to prefer pickups though).

New features have been added in the v1.1 patch! The layout of the daycare changes ever so slightly, so now you can get out from behind the counter. Interacting with the entrance allows you to set opening and closing hours, and trainers will never interrupt your play session outside of those hours. You can even close the daycare outright, by having the opening hours after the closing hours, or closing before opening. More data on the Pokémon in the daycare is added, with egg groups and food preferences (though a small amount of experimentation is still needed for Pokémon without neutral natures). Finally, more has been added to the phone, with the ability to pay to put out ads that reduces the number of deposits needed for the next new trainer to appear, as well as reduce the base time between trainers, and the ability to purchase increases to the size of the yard for the daycare so you can have even more Pokémon!

v1.2.0 adds a new feature, a minigame to play with the Pokémon, Copy-Cat, where you copy the motions of the Pokémon. This is a quick way to raise exp, and I have to admit, I spent a while playing just that. It also adds a screen for the daycare info instead of just textboxes, and an egg will appear on the counter when you have one ready for adoption.
Resource Pack: https://www.mediafire.com/file/y0xoh2kbd7b2p02/Pokemon_Daycare_Resource_Pack.zip/file
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
Pokemon Daycare
By Vendily

Using Pokemon Essentials Starter Kit
Flameguru
Poccil
Maruno

======= GRAPHICS =======
========================
Gen VI Overworlds
========================

-princess-pheonix
-LunarDusk6

-Formatted by Sparta
========================
GenI-V Overworlds
========================

-Neo-Spriteman
-MissingLukey
-help-14
-Kymoyonian
-cSc-A7X
-2and2makes5
-Pokegirl4ever
-Fernandojl
-Silver-Skies
-TyranitarDark
-Getsuei-H
-Kid1513
-Milomilotic11
-Kyt666
-kdiamo11
-Chocosrawlooid
-Syledude
-Gallanty
-Gizamimi-Pichu
-Zyon17

Tiles by Rekman, princess-phoenix, Magiscarf, and Kyle-Dove (With small edits and stuff by Me!)
Trainer OW sprites: Dewitty, Bulbapedia.Bulbagarden.net, Nintendo, Chocosrawloid, Kymotonian, milomilotic11, and Neo-Spriteman
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=250115

===== SCRIPTS & PBS =====
Ego13 & Pokemon Trainer Jackey's Gen 6 Pokemon + Mega Evolution for Essentials v17 PBS files
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=398925
WolfPP's Overworld Shadows
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=421467
Deo & Cilerba's Gen 6 PBS Files
https://eeveeexpo.com/resources/48/
FL's Unreal Time System
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=285831

===== AUDIO =====

ShinxHero's Pokemon XYORAS Cries
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=361263
Eric Matyas's Audio
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=405412
Music by Eric Matyas
www.soundimage.org

===== STUFF I MADE/EDITED =====

I made:
-The pokemon egg
-Orange kickball
-Player Characters
-Birdkeepers (M/F)
-Channeller
-Painter
-Pokémon Rangers (M/F)
-The mart screen UI, but the wood pattern was lifted from Rekman's tiles
-The watch that sits on the inventory screen, but not the numbers
-The intro/credits background, but it's literally just a couple of overlaid green circles.
I edited:
-The interior doorway, combining a Magiscarf doorway with the style of the door by princess-phoenix
-The exterior of the Daycare, by using the Pink Magiscarf house as a base to resize the Rustic Magiscarf house.
-The phone, editing it from the default Essentials tiles.
-The flower tiles, but it's just a recolour of Kyle-Dove's tile.
-The inventory screen, with exception to the watch, the background and numbers are from Platinum, though I did clean up the journal and recoloured it.
-The "Press Start", to remove the black background and shuffle it over a tad to the left.
I formatted:
-Biker
-Aroma Lady
-Burgler
-Worker
-Lady
-Black Belt (DPPt)
-Female DPPt Ace Trainer (Not Snow)
-Youngster (DPPt)
-Lass (DPPt)
-Vivillon, Flabebe line, Furfrou alt sprites (princess-pheonix & LunarDusk6 made the originals, so you better credit them!)
-The book tile (DPPt)

Last edited:
Hey! So as soon as I saw your game I knew it was something I wanted to give a shot so I went and downloaded it.

I'm a sucker for fangames which really go and do something different, and this for sure is one of those. It's pretty cute, I love how unique it is, the game looks nice, the character sprite is very cute and just the idea is cute. I had a play around with the game, I didn't get lucky enough in my time playing to have an egg appear, but I did play around a bit.

All I would really say is that it feels like there isn't a whole lot to do at the moment. Maybe I'm missing something at the moment but after earning money it seemed like there wasn't a whole lot to do with that money other than buying food. I think it would be cool if maybe you could buy things for your day care, like maybe new toys, or even upgrades to make your day care larger so it can hold more pokemon. And then maybe also being able to pay for "advertising" or something so that it boosts the chance of people coming in.

Maybe this already exists and I just failed to find it, but I think it would be a nice touch if you could look at the details of pokemon you are looking after. Like a summary screen of sorts that tells you its favourite food and its egg group. Something like this might fit in well with the guest book thingy that is already in the game.

But yeah, for sure a really cool game and idea, congratz on getting your first game out there, it's an amazing feeling and you should enjoy it. And be proud of what you've managed to do. I look forward to seeing what you work on in the future :)

aiyinsi

A wild Minun appeared!
I also gave the game a try. It's a neat concept. But like Tomix said there doesn't seem to be much to do. So I played for 15 Mins and then quit.

Also all those trainers interupting my taking care of the Pokémon a bit to much imo. I'm in the middle of going to a Pokémon and being interupted there is kinda annoying. Maybe have a in game time clock and have only open during a certain period would help and then if there's nothing left to do maybe something like a bed to skip to the next day.

Also the sentence "There's a commotion outside." whenever there's an egg doesn't fit if I'm already outside.

But I love the music and the esthetics of the game. Really sells the happy and peaceful daycare vibe.

Also love the part of the intro saying that there are people trying to become the best Pokémon trainer and then there's people like you running a daycare

Vendily

Elite Trainer
All I would really say is that it feels like there isn't a whole lot to do at the moment. Maybe I'm missing something at the moment but after earning money it seemed like there wasn't a whole lot to do with that money other than buying food. I think it would be cool if maybe you could buy things for your day care, like maybe new toys, or even upgrades to make your day care larger so it can hold more pokemon. And then maybe also being able to pay for "advertising" or something so that it boosts the chance of people coming in.

Maybe this already exists and I just failed to find it, but I think it would be a nice touch if you could look at the details of pokemon you are looking after. Like a summary screen of sorts that tells you its favourite food and its egg group. Something like this might fit in well with the guest book thingy that is already in the game.
Also all those trainers interupting my taking care of the Pokémon a bit to much imo. I'm in the middle of going to a Pokémon and being interupted there is kinda annoying. Maybe have a in game time clock and have only open during a certain period would help and then if there's nothing left to do maybe something like a bed to skip to the next day.
Man these are such great ideas, I should try to implement them. Also sorry about the trainers, I had messed with them a bunch but I guess the timing isn't perfect. The opening hours idea is good, since there already is the in-game time anyway, though it doesn't get actively used.
Perhaps a future update? But maybe after the jam, just to be fair, since I did submit it already.

WolfShadowWhisper

Just a wolf that loves the shadows on a hot day :)
First, Congrats on making Pokemon Daycare, it is unique and fun. It does have a lot of potential too, like maybe implementing a way of buying decorations for the shop, like plushies that can be placed decoratively behind the counter, or upgrading that table and chairs in the Daycare office area to other types of tables, things like that. Also maybe a small event or too like your mom or sibling or friend phoning or visiting you just to add a wee bit of story to it or trainers talking to you about events happening in the world like gossiping about Professor Oak etc but these are just suggestions and I happen to like your game a lot. It is fun, especially if you are in the mood for pokemon but just want to chillax with coffee and pat or feed a pokemon.

I look forward to you maybe expanding on this game at a later date, for now, I am pleased with it already. I hope others will give your game the love it deserves too because you did a wonderful game. It deserves a showcase vote for originality in my book. You set the bar very high in that regard, I think this is the most original game jam gem I played since 'A Zoroark among us.'

Keep killing it, you rock.

Vendily

Elite Trainer
So apparently I can totally make patches! So here's v1.1 that aims to fix some pain points from the original submission.
The layout of the daycare changes ever so slightly, so now you can get out from behind the counter. Interacting with the entrance allows you to set opening and closing hours, and trainers will never interrupt your play session outside of those hours. You can even close the daycare outright, by having the opening hours after the closing hours, or closing before opening. More data on the Pokémon in the daycare is added, with egg groups and food preferences (though a small amount of experimentation is still needed for Pokémon without neutral natures). Finally, more has been added to the phone, with the ability to pay to put out ads that reduces the number of deposits needed for the next new trainer to appear, as well as reduce the base time between trainers, and the ability to purchase increases to the size of the yard for the daycare so you can have even more Pokémon!
It's linked in the main post! You still need the base game to install the patch onto, but it's just replacing the Data folder, easy-peasy!
Saves should remain compatible, at least in my tests they did, so you probably don't need to worry about crashes from that!

WolfPP

Discord wolfppontes
I got this error:
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
---------------------------
Pokemon Daycare
Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.
Script error within event 5 (coords 5,6), map 4 (Daycare):
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: DaycareTextWork:434undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass
***Full script:
pbDaycareInfo
Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
DaycareTextWork:312:in `call'
EventHandlers:54:in `trigger'
EventHandlers:49:in `each'
EventHandlers:49:in `trigger'
Scene_Map:50:in `updateSpritesets'
Scene_Map:156:in `miniupdate'

I didn't save the game and I lose everything. T_T (Nha, no problem! uahuahu)
I was with 3 pokemons and when I open the book to check its levels etc gave me that error.

Vendily

Elite Trainer
I got this error:
Code:
Expand Collapse Copy
Pokemon Daycare
Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.
Script error within event 5 (coords 5,6), map 4 (Daycare):
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: DaycareTextWork:434undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass
***Full script:
pbDaycareInfo
Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
DaycareTextWork:312:in `call'
EventHandlers:54:in `trigger'
EventHandlers:49:in `each'
EventHandlers:49:in `trigger'
Scene_Map:50:in `updateSpritesets'
Scene_Map:156:in `miniupdate'

I didn't save the game and I lose everything. T_T (Nha, no problem! uahuahu)
I was with 3 pokemons and when I open the book to check its levels etc gave me that error.
I am so sorry. That error doesn't actually have anything to do with the book, it tried to load a random trainer that does not currently have a deposited pokemon, but found none, and I didn't make a nil check apparently.
a v1.1.1 was just uploaded to fix these issues.
Sorry, Sorry, Sorry!

Aryesh

¯\_(ツ)_/– •Peter
First, this game is nice and beautiful. Loving and caring is also needed to pokemon.
Second, you can update this game with the features of stardew valley or moon harvest, it's like farming game for pokemons.
Third, this game idea is so nice, I really appreciate you for this game.

PhantomTheEevee

Member of the Aether Foundation
Haven't visited this board for a while, but I came back just in time to see the 5th GameJam running appearantly! ^0^

I saw this Game and I immediately had to grab it as I have a massive softspot for Pokemon FanGames that let you do something different than battle with Pokemon. ...Wasn't disappointed, as PKMN Daycare is incredibly adorable, relaxing and fun! The music adds a lot to that, good pick here.

I have to agree with Tomix though that there isn't that much to do after having played for a while, the suggestions WolfShadowWhisper mentioned nail what I'd rejoice to see in any future updates as well to give the Game some change of pace. Something I'd also absolutely enjoy would be a possibility to actively play with the Pokemon given to you, like they kicking the ball back to you if it is rolled towards them or such - I'm not sure whether this is able to realize programming-wise though, but it'd be very neat.

Additionally it be cool to see the Eggs on a shelf in the interior of the Daycare, it feels somewhat weird when it says "Let's put it on the shelf for adoption" and then it is nowhere to seen, lolz.

Vendily

Elite Trainer
A v1.2 has been uploaded, with a big new feature, a minigame to play with the Pokémon!
The rules of Copy-Cat are simple, you just copy what the Pokémon does! It's a great way to build up exp for the Pokémon, and pretty addictive for me at least.

Grab it in the Main Post!

Vendily

Elite Trainer
After watching Ethi's stream yesterday, I've made a few minor adjustments to the egg system, to prevent so many eggs from forming.
I've also added a bit of interaction with the egg that sits on the counter, which can be any of the eggs you have in your possession and changes the selected egg on a map change.

I've also caught a bug with the egg system, where it'll only make eggs of the last possible combination, regardless of its validity. It's been there from the start, but there was never a way to check the eggs til now.

Vendily

Elite Trainer
A v1.2.2 patch was made to fix the ability to expand the daycare beyond the defined upgrades, provided you did not unlock the credits yet. That's what you get when you copy and paste! Clearly my eventing needs work, as that's the only true event there, ahah! This bug was there since v1.1, the update that added expansions in the first place.

If you did upgrade the daycare to the invalid level and saved the game, fear not, as the game will automatically fix the save upon loading it and refund the difference too!

PhantomTheEevee

Member of the Aether Foundation
I appreciate all these patches you're bringing up, as they so nicely add to the experience of being a Pokemon Breeder for real, nice work!

Victorcarvalhosp

Novice
That's really cool! I'm really curious about how do you made the Pokémon overworlds to appear on the day care! Is this something that you can share to be used with vanilla Essentials 18.1?

DemonChan22

Rookie
There is a font error message that some fonts are not there even the game can be played but where do I install the fonts I need?

Back