• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokémon Wayward

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Story:
HCfUpHH.png

You and your friend, Carla, have won a trip to sail on the ship "S.S Jammica". Its destination is the vast Jamward Ocean, where another great ship was attacked only one year ago by, allegedly, the World's Biggest Gyarados. Excited to see, and potentially capture, the massive Pokémon, you and your friend board the ship. When you find the Pokémon, however, the ship is attacked and wrecked, and you are stranded on Jamward Island. Now you must explore the island in search of the other passengers, and hopefully, find a way off the island.
Game Screenshots:
0q57sgs.png
IkGxQ5g.png

tfWeqJT.png
5hPQUWB.png

jaBg3WV.png
WJD4LIz.png

dGovOe1.png
xqpK6lt.png

Game Download:
Mediafire
Google Drive
Made Using:
RPG Maker XP
Pokémon Essentials
Team:
Hukon

Pokémon available in the game
I changed evolution levels for a lot of the Pokémon in this game. If you click the link above, you will find a spreadsheet with all the Pokémon available in the game + the levels they evolve at.

The development process for this was a mess. I hadn't used a Essentials a lot at all since I finished Desiderate, so I was excited when first getting started on this game. Since I hadn't used the new version of essentials at all (I hadn't even downloaded it before the jam) I decided to use the old version I was used to. Not far into development I lost most of my motivation for this game. At one point I pretty much gave up on making it entirely. I changed my mind though, and barely managed to finish it in time. It's filled to the brim with compromises though, so there's a lot of the game that feels unfinished and sloppy. I also didn't get much time for playtesting at all, so I can only hope the game isn't completely swarmed with bugs. Overall, my interest in fangame development and Pokémon has decreased a lot over the past year. I still want to update this and my older games so they can be something I feel more proud of, but I don't think I'll make another new fangame. I pulled my first ever all-nighter for this, by the way. It's 6 AM right now. I don't know if what I'm writing makes any sense at all. Sorry.
Resource pack
If you think I forgot anyone in this list, please tell me.

Credits:
Pokémon-
Nintendo
Game Freak

RPGMaker:
Enterbrain

Pokémon Essentials-
Maruno
Poccil
Flameguru

Gen 6 Project-
mej71
karstictrainer
WorldSlayer
TheDeKay
viperk1
SunakazeKun
Radical Raptr
RPD490
Takyon!
Pokegod7020
Drakath569
Florio
MrDeepDarkMind
Snooper117

Gen 5 Battler sprites:
Dreadwing93

Gen 7 Battler sprites:
Amethyst
Jan
Zumi
Bazaro
Koyo
Smeargletail
Alex
Noscium
Lepagon
N-kin
fishbowlsoul90
princess-phoenix
DatLopunnyTho
Conyjams
kaji atsu
The cynical poet
LuigiPlayer
Falgaia of the Smogon S/M sprite project
Pikafan2000
Lord-Myre

Generation VII project:
M3rein
Zeak6464
Tapu Fini
Sparta (Aka SpartaLazor)
BlackOutG5
Rune
Rigbycwts
Rot8er_CoNeX
James Davy

Other Spritestuffs:
Dragoon
RedBlueYellow
PokeTex
Ploaj
Nx-kun
Random Talking Bush
BadassBill
Heartlessdragoon

Day & night tones:
Deo

Pokémon Ranger Gyarados:
Ragey

Organizational spreadsheets:
Hematite

Emerald Outside tiles:
Leilou
Heartless Dragoon

Umber Tileset:
Dawn Bronze

Heartlessdragoon

TheDeadHeroAlistair
Calis Projects
Cilerba
Magiscarf
DaNerdyDude
XDinky
KyleDove

Abandoned ship tileset:

Abandoned ship vehicle sprite:
DerxwnaKapsyla

Pokémon Fable resources:
Dawn Bronze
Akizakura16

Gen 3 Palm trees:
ThePurplest

Last edited:

Hukon

Background character
I've just uploaded a small update to the game. It features a bugfix, and a correction in the credits list. If you downloaded the game before this update, please redownload, as this new version fixes a game-breaking bug that makes it impossible to fight the final boss.
For the credits list, I added Avatar for the Abandoned ship tileset, as I forgot to add them earlier.

New download links:
Mediafire
Google Drive

I also added in a spreadsheet to the original post where you can see all the Pokémon available in the game and when they evolve. It also acts as a nice visual indication for just how big my bias towards gen 3 is.
Pokémon available in the game

Last edited:
So I just beat the game! Time for my thoughts, but first! Bug reporting time!
SkxmtAl.png

This is just a graphical one, but because you didn't update the type list graphic when you added fairy, it appears as shadow type.

I should also note, since the gen 7 pokemon have no party sprites, catching them will break your game.

g9Yrsb5.png

This is just a small graphical one, it is just odd that the player appears on top of the grass

EWojMl3.png

Not only did this look odd, but I couldn't actually get to the item either, it won't let me go behind the hut

1ipV5Ez.png

yet another tiny little, hardly affects the game, graphical glitch, no sprite appears for the trainer card

WSBLboW.png

After Camera man and Egg head run off saying they will expose me, they don't actually run off

This one is actually more annoying, nearly game breaking. There is the guy who thinks he lost his glasses but didn't by the volcano, after battling him and getting his suddowoodo the screen turns black to say he ran off and it stays black. Furthermore, if you spam enter in the dark like I did, you trigger the whole event again, getting a 2nd suddowoodo, I found a solution by finding the exit to the map in the dark but that was pretty hard/annoying.

z0aXHZi.png

This one is game breaking, when you talk to this trainer, he is the one complaining about stranger danger, the game crashes.
That's it for the bugs. I did beat the game and i did enjoy it!
41IkYDU.png

I really liked the whole gathering passengers things, and then at the end you get to see everyone that you've found! It was cool, and each character had their own unique characteristics making all the more memorable. The dialogue you wrote was super funny and I loved the flavour text! Got me to engage with the world more!

I know this game was a bit of a struggle for you, but I just want to let you know it was a good and enjoyable experience, and if this is your last fan game, then you're leaving on quite good terms. Thank you so much for blessing this community with so many wonderful games Hukon <3

Greninjauzumaki

pika pika
Hey Hukon, I really enjoyed playing your game.Firstly it was really cool that I had the freedom to save the passengers in any order.I also loved the nostalgic Gen 3 music and the different characters and the whole experience in general.
However, something unfortunate happened.
After playing for an hour the game froze all of a sudden when I was battling a random npc. When I restarted the game, a window popped up saying "script Sprite window line 218 runtime error occured. File name is nil" and the game wouldn't load. This problem occured when I was in the mountain area after passing the hot springs( Sorry I tried to upload a screenshot of the window but it didn't work for some reason or maybe I was doing it the wrong way.) I had so much fun playing the game so I hope you could fix this.

On a different note, in addition to what Tomix had mentioned, I think I encountered a bug in the apple juice side mission. After I found the apple juice, I went back to the sailor who wanted it so badly but he didn't take it. Since I put the juice in the key items pocket I thought I was supposed to give it to him.
Other than that I had an amazing time playing Wayward. Not just this game but also Jeff, Thyme and Desiderate. Thank you very much for making these awesome games and good luck!!!!!

Last edited:
Had a fun time with this game!! I loved the setting and particularly the tiles used to convey the environment I was in. The use of the safari trees was really nice, and I loved all of the custom tiles like the hut. I also appreciated how even though the game was set in such a small island, there were quite a few varying locations which I had fun exploring. Really liked the Pokemon selection as well, and really liked that you provided us with a list of all the Pokemon that were available too. It's always fun for me to imagine different areas in fan games as real life locations, and imagine how the Pokemon found there would interact with their environment and the other Pokemon the live in the same place.

However, unfortunately, the game did have quite a few bugs, as others have already mentioned. This did have an impact on how much I was enjoying the game, especially because some of them were game breaking and caused me to lose quite a lot of progress. The bugs and errors really were quite a shame, and definitely detracted from the game. I feel like most of them could have been caught and fixed with just a few extra bug testing play throughs, too. Overall however, the game did still have that trademark Hukon charm, and I still had a good time with it.

Back