• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Mega Evolution - Which Pokemon Need it for End Game (PVP)

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life
hello, since i didnt see a thread about this, i wanted to see what everyone had to say, so tell me...

Which Pokemon Need Mega Evolution and How Should Their Mega Evo Benefit them?

to me, in the End Game ALL Pokemon Should be Relevent, and Mega Evolution made it possible for many Pokemon to become viable PVP Teammates, but there are MANY more that still need a boost.

Djaco75

MasterMind
Well. I think that Mega Evolution should be kept restricted to the select number of people that already have it. A few more mega Pokemon I wouldn't mind, but not like a fully fledged update as we have seen previously.

A few Pokemon I would like to see get Mega Forms:
  • Milotic
  • Arcanine
  • Cofagrigus

doof

banished doof
I think you covered it in the main post. The Pokemon that need Megas, in my opinion at least, are the ones that are a bit weaker and don't really match up to some of the stronger ones. Kinda like how a Butterfree or a Chatot likely aren't on the same level as a Garchomp. I don't really know my competitive gameplay, but still. I think the 'weaker' Pokemon could use Megas in order to close the gap and make them a bit better of a candidate for competitive battling.

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
When it comes to fan games I'm not especially interested in how the post-game meta evolves (or doesn't), so instead I'll use this thread to talk about Megas in general.

So, I've come to the conclusion that you can do one of two things with Mega Evolutions:

1. Look at the NU tier, analyze why each Pokémon is in the NU tier and give them some tools to lift them out of the NU tier
2. Give Rayquaza an ICBM and put on sunglasses

Game Freak, you may have noticed, tried both in Gen 6, and I don't think it worked out terribly well because it feels mostly like it boils down to "we'll give a Mega to whatever we gosh darn well feel like" which tends to leave us scratching our heads "why." I guess that's a third option.

It's worth noting that that a lot of Pokémon rely heavily on their item in competitive play, particularly a Life Orb - id est, Garchomp - so a fair number of Mega Pokémon are actually less potent than their regular-sized counterparts. In singleplayer it's a bit less dire since you don't usually equip Life Orbs to things until the aftergame. This obviously makes most, if not all Megas at least usable in singleplayer, so your fan game choices of who to give a Mega to will probably work out in the end.

Also if Swellow gets a Mega that doesn't rely on Toxic Orb I will un-retire from competitive battles.

Djaco75

MasterMind
I think you covered it in the main post. The Pokemon that need Megas, in my opinion at least, are the ones that are a bit weaker and don't really match up to some of the stronger ones. Kinda like how a Butterfree or a Chatot likely aren't on the same level as a Garchomp. I don't really know my competitive gameplay, but still. I think the 'weaker' Pokemon could use Megas in order to close the gap and make them a bit better of a candidate for competitive battling.

I see your point here, but at the same time, I sort of disagree with some of what you say. While Mega Evolution was designed to populate less popular Pokemon, I feel like it should be sort of restricted. I really don't want to see every single weak Pokemon be given a Mega Evolution because it would make both the game and PVP too easy. That's why I said to restrict it in my first post.

However, I agree with you on the point of strengthening the Pokemon up to make people use them.

doof

banished doof
I really don't want to see every single weak Pokemon be given a Mega Evolution.

I never said to give every single weak Pokemon a Mega - just that it would level the playing field for some. It just feels a bit unfitting for Pokemon of the likes of Garchomp, Salamence, Tyranitar, Metagross, etc, to have Megas when they're already strong as it is.

TheGamingPaladin

TheGamingPaladin - Youtuber, Foodie, Gamer 4 Life

i totally agree SpartaLazor, the weaker Pokemon are indeed the ones who need it most, especially Pokemon with no Evos to speak of, like Miltank and Dunsparce.

Fontbane

Not a Russian Troll
I honestly think a +100 stat boost and Serene Grace could really help Stunfisk. I feel like Insurgence's Mega Stunfisk could still be usable even without Athenian, since he has a lot of unique moves to make use of Serene Grace.

Mozart

Annoying Twit
Tbh the fact that Glalie got a mega but Froslass didn't always upsets me. You can't even say it's a gender-based thing either since Gallade is male-only and he got a mega. I'm not saying ALL the starters need megas either, but it being Kanto then skipping to Hoenn and no discussion of other starters (especially not the starters of the generation that mega evolution was introduced in??) getting it is weird.

Back