• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Creative Betamons

Hi everyone! I'm sure at least those members on Discord have heard about this already, but there was a recent leak of an old Pokemon Gold demo from Spaceworld 1997.

With this, we get to see a lot of beta designs from before Pokemon Gold was released. A lot of Pokemon look familiar but there are a number of sprites that we never got to see make it properly into the series, including baby versions, evolutions, and some unrecognized designs for new species.​

bSkoz2B.png

If you're looking for more information about this beta demo, check out some Twitter sources like CuttingRoomWiki, obskyr, and sanquii

We'll probably learn more cool details about early Pokemon ideas, but for now I saw a few people asking for a sprite project. That's what this thread is for!​

In this thread:
›Please post revamps of any sprites discovered from the beta demo! We'd love it if they met the standards of Pokemon Essentials.
›Any sprite posted in this thread is free to use, so long as the artist is credited.
›Every post is open for feedback and critique! Especially when it comes to colors, there's a lot of room for discussion.
›At the time of posting this is a pretty informal project, but I'll clean everything up and package the sprites as a proper resource if it gains interest.

Last edited:

Mak

Edge Lord
Funny enough, since Girafarig is one of the few Pokemon whose original design we actually knew about, I had the bright idea to make a Mega Girafarig based off of it.
vccbW9r.png

The beta design is actually extremely similar to what I made, so I just changed a couple of tiny details.

No backsprite yet, though I doubt it would be that difficult to make. I might edit the post if I get to making it.

EDIT: I got in the spirit of Spritemas and made about a dozen more oops
NtSle6X.png
18Ve9Fq.png
j3hMpGy.png
diC62b8.png
kOh2STk.png
692fo4h.png
fDbb24S.png
RzE0nZG.png
LXlN7Xi.png
v6hvPIi.png
laZJzRQ.png
9Bjm3Z3.png
7D4vpxY.png
qqUS1QC.png

If anyone wants to make their own take on these revamps, please do it. I'm sure a lot of these could be done better.

Last edited:

Clifford

Mr. Sandman
tumblr_inline_p9xg935sJb1r7ef8e_540.png

tumblr_inline_p9xg986qRa1r7ef8e_540.png

tumblr_inline_p9xg9d72Zz1r7ef8e_540.png

A revamp, a recolor, and a custom sprite, because I'm very indecisive.

(or I just wanted an excuse to draw Beta Murkrow 3 times in a row) Either way, all are free to use in whatever.

Yodelhoo

Catching wall bugs
NyXutPA.png

Little recolour of HonoGuma. Got rid of unnecessary parts. Basically a cleanup. Had fun though.
Edit: According to Google Translate, in Japanese HonoGuma means "Guardian Bear".

Last edited:

TheBarmyBrit

Novice
I wanted to go for Taban, as I am wanting to make a delta version of Cloyster in my upcoming project. Infact, I made a shiny pallet that mimics Cloyster's colour scheme.
iwyyCu4.png
l6nxb6P.png
QUMfu3U.png
RAgP195.png

Marina

Cooltrainer
Hello, I just wanted to know if these Beta Pokémon are the original Beta Pokémon that Gamefreak/Nintendo made back then in gold/silver.
e.g. if Pre evolution Paras is really an invention of GameFreak? or if all these Pokémon (or the most of them) were created by Spaceworld Dev. Team

MadDeodorant

Insert internet reference here
Hello, I just wanted to know if these Beta Pokémon are the original Beta Pokémon that Gamefreak/Nintendo made back then in gold/silver.
e.g. if Pre evolution Paras is really an invention of GameFreak? or if all these Pokémon (or the most of them) were created by Spaceworld Dev. Team
They were indeed created by Game Freak, they were found in the ROM for the SpaceWorld Demo of Gold and Silver. The team that released the demo recently merely found the game and published it in its entirety, including the Beta mons. What could've been, huh?

Back