• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg Pokémon FireRed

Resource JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg Pokémon FireRed 0.6

It seems using code terms like "Interpreter::PBTrainers" and "Interpreter::PBItems" and coding battler NPCs like this:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Brock,"BROCK",_I("Insert quote here."))

Causes the game to crash in Pokemon Essentials V19.1 when trying to run these scripts. Does this work in the current Pokemon Essentials V20.1?
No. The crashing is because things were changed to just use symbols to make things easier, and it wouldn’t really make sense to undo that in v20.

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
No. The crashing is because things were changed to just use symbols to make things easier, and it wouldn’t really make sense to undo that in v20.
So for Bootleg FireRed to work as-is, I'd need to move from V19 to V20? I'm okay with that, but I want to double-check, is that my only option here besides going through every NPC by hand and editing the codes for "start battle" and "give item" to work in V19?

So for Bootleg FireRed to work as-is, I'd need to move from V19 to V20?
Not sure what lead you to this conclusion, I just said it wouldn't work in v20, either.
I'm okay with that, but I want to double-check, is that my only option here besides going through every NPC by hand and editing the codes for "start battle" and "give item" to work in V19?
Just let the compiler do the work for you. Bootleg FireRed is made in v16, so just bring it up through the versions since then - v17, v18, and v19 - and their compilers should do the job of renaming those methods. (Luka has downloads for them on his site here)

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
Not sure what lead you to this conclusion, I just said it wouldn't work in v20, either.

Just let the compiler do the work for you. Bootleg FireRed is made in v16, so just bring it up through the versions since then - v17, v18, and v19 - and their compilers should do the job of renaming those methods. (Luka has downloads for them on his site here)
I'm sorry, but I don't see anything named Compiler on his site. What's it called?

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
The compiler is the script that (among other things) creates data files from the PBS files. It’s part of every Essentials kit, you don’t have to download it separately.
I don't understand what you're saying. I've copypasted Brock's Gym into my Pokemon Essentials V20 version, but talking to Brock crashes the game unless I change how his "Battle the player" command is written, and when he tries to give you his TM, that crashes the game unless I change how his "Give item" command is written.

Cryptochrome

Heretic
I don't understand what you're saying. I've copypasted Brock's Gym into my Pokemon Essentials V20 version, but talking to Brock crashes the game unless I change how his "Battle the player" command is written, and when he tries to give you his TM, that crashes the game unless I change how his "Give item" command is written.
Did you copy Brock's Gym from Bootleg FireRed (v16) into Essentials v20? If so, then I think you missed what TechSkylander was trying to tell you here:

You'd have to download Essentials v17 from Luka's site (linked in above comment), then copy Brock's gym from Bootleg FireRed into that. Hold "Ctrl" when loading up the game through RPG Maker XP to run the compiler, and make sure it is working in Essentials v17 without crashing.

Then you have to copy the newly compiled Brock's gym from v17 into a new version of Essentials v18 and repeat. Then copy into Essentials v19, compile again, then finally copy into Essentials v20 and compile one final time.

From what I understand, when a new version of Essentials is released, the compiler can help convert things from the previous version of Essentials. So v17 essentials can take and convert events/commands from v16, and then v20 can take events/commands from v19 but not from even earlier versions like v16 (which it seems like you are trying to do).

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
When importing this game's maps into another game, each map's number is offset by the number of maps already existing in the game, breaking every warp and script meant to send you somewhere. Doors, warp tiles, all broken and leading to the wrong places or to nowhere at all.

Is there any way to correct this without having to manually correct the destination of each warp ingame by hand?

Also, transferring the project to V18 gave me this error: RGSS Linker FmodEx line 13: RunTimeError occured.

LoadLibrary: RGSS Linker.dll.

If it's really possible to take this game through the engines to fix its coding can you do that? I tried it myself but it didn't work on my end.

Last edited:
When importing this game's maps into another game, each map's number is offset by the number of maps already existing in the game, breaking every warp and script meant to send you somewhere. Doors, warp tiles, all broken and leading to the wrong places or to nowhere at all.

Is there any way to correct this without having to manually correct the destination of each warp ingame by hand?

Also, transferring the project to V18 gave me this error: RGSS Linker FmodEx line 13: RunTimeError occured.

LoadLibrary: RGSS Linker.dll.

If it's really possible to take this game through the engines to fix its coding can you do that? I tried it myself but it didn't work on my end.
How are you importing the maps? You should be just copy+pasting the MaxXXX.rxdata files, which keep their ID numbers, and would overwrite any existing maps in the data folder.

There's no script section named RGSS Linker FmodEx in vanilla v18, so it seems like you're copying over scripts from somewhere else.

Make sure you're following this guide -

Wanted to procrastinate studying for finals, realized there's actually a few things the compiler seems to miss doing the upgrades (or at least, the steps aren't obvious enough that I missed them while following the guide), so... here.

It's not really a complete upgrade -
  • Some maps have visible void that lets you see the player's reflection, like Pewter Gym
  • Since this was evented before big events were introduced in v19, there's a lot of events that could be merged into one
  • It seemed like lose dialogue hadn't really carried over
  • The gyms give badges 16-24, for some reason
  • I didn't port over the game icon
  • Locations aren't consistently capitalized
  • The Teachy TV scene still hasn't been implemented
  • Audio seemed to be at inconsistent volumes, or sometimes not looped properly (you may want to use ENLS's library)
But, to my knowledge, the PBS is all correctly formatted, and I was able to progress to Mt. Moon without issue.

I'm not doing a full playtest because I don't want to take responsibility for this resource, but if someone wants to go through and look, I could try to write some code to help fix any recurring issues.

SkyArmyRecru1t

Pokémon Master
Well I got nothin to do so I could take a look. I think bringing this into modern Essentials could be a fun little side project

Randomxp

Rookie
So the game crashes whenever i boot it up. I even used a new blank copy and opened the based "Game" and it has an error about a playeriD
1690548884777.png
1690548884777.png

GT-Baka

Rookie
playerID does not exist in modern Essentials.
$player.id is used now.

Niall23

Novice
can anyone help me? i cant get the professor oak event thats meant to walk you up to the top of the lab to move when we enter or disappear either, he just takes me into the lab and stands there while i also cant move to

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    462.4 KB · Views: 19
Back