• Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!
JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg Pokémon FireRed

Resource JohtoBlaziken's Bootleg Pokémon FireRed 0.6

JohtoBlaziken

Bootlegger

hrSYAuu.png

- A ROM base without the ROM -
XBN9SKT.png

Current release: Demo v0.6

Includes all of Kanto (maps, NPCs, trainers, encounters...), almost all music tracks as looped .oggs, and is mainly lacking polish.

Next up: gym puzzles, finishing cutscenes, miscellaneous polish

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated to Demo v0.6!

What's new:

- (almost) all music from FireRed included as looped .oggs, looped by hand in Audacity. See the file loopsheet.xlsx in the main directory for loopstart/loopend/looplength information. Only a few miscellaneous music files not looped and included yet (Mewtwo battle, end songs).
- Pictures show when you enter dungeons (Mt. Moon, Viridian Forest, etc)
- Pewter roadblock event fixed
- Running shoes aide event fixed

Last edited:

Mudstep

Rookie
This is awesome! Mind if I use this to make an Emerald bootleg?

JohtoBlaziken

Bootlegger
This is awesome! Mind if I use this to make an Emerald bootleg?

That would be awesome---I would love to see that! Just imagine if there were bootleg Essentials versions of a couple main games (FireRed, Emerald, maybe Gold/Silver)...that would lead to some amazing possibilities.

In general, though, use it however you like!

CrimsonTy

Just some guy
I really love this but there's something that just annoys me. It's the use of capital letters on so much. Now in days people don't use POKEMON they simply put Pokemon and it's really irritating having to go into several events just to change this. If this gets more updates please either remove the use of Capitals where they aren't needed or add a separate file because it saves so much time

Maruno

Essentials dev
Essentials Developer
Nowadays things are capitalised properly, but this is a recreation of FRLG which put important words and names in ALL CAPS.

(Nowadays, not "now in days".)

JohtoBlaziken

Bootlegger
I really love this but there's something that just annoys me. It's the use of capital letters on so much. Now in days people don't use POKEMON they simply put Pokemon and it's really irritating having to go into several events just to change this. If this gets more updates please either remove the use of Capitals where they aren't needed or add a separate file because it saves so much time

Yes, I figured that would be a hit/miss decision; I personally think it's a cute throwback, but I can see how it might be annoying.

There isn't that much dialogue in FRLG, so I can probably just go through and add an if statement every time a character mentions a THING IN ALL CAPS. Do you think it would be better to have this controlled by a switch, a variable, or something else?

Nowadays things are capitalised properly, but this is a recreation of FRLG which put important words and names in ALL CAPS.

(Nowadays, not "now in days".)

Exactly, MARUNO!

EDIT: Actually, I think there's a much slicker way to fix this issue. I can just add a dictionary into the dialogue handler that automatically converts (for example) PALLET TOWN to Pallet Town if a certain script parameter is true. Shouldn't be too hard to implement. Look forward to it in the next demo release.

Last edited:

CrimsonTy

Just some guy
Yes, I figured that would be a hit/miss decision; I personally think it's a cute throwback, but I can see how it might be annoying.

There isn't that much dialogue in FRLG, so I can probably just go through and add an if statement every time a character mentions a THING IN ALL CAPS. Do you think it would be better to have this controlled by a switch, a variable, or something else?

Exactly, MARUNO!

EDIT: Actually, I think there's a much slicker way to fix this issue. I can just add a dictionary into the dialogue handler that automatically converts (for example) PALLET TOWN to Pallet Town if a certain script parameter is true. Shouldn't be too hard to implement. Look forward to it in the next demo release.

For Maruno: Well FRLG are game titles but characters in the files say names in caps like "You wanna trade my MR.MIME for an ABRA?" it doesn't make sense because it's not normal. Example of this is "Hey guys I got a new DOG and his name is JOHN." That's not normal.

Also can't wait for more

silentgamer64

Novice
Should have asked me for help, I've already created most of those maps and events for my own game.

JohtoBlaziken

Bootlegger
FireMasterManiac said:
For Maruno: Well FRLG are game titles but characters in the files say names in caps like "You wanna trade my MR.MIME for an ABRA?" it doesn't make sense because it's not normal. Example of this is "Hey guys I got a new DOG and his name is JOHN." That's not normal.

Also can't wait for more

Status update on that: it turned out to be an easy fix. You can use the gsub! function to replace ALL CAPS INSTANCES OF WORDS with All caps instances of words. I still have to go through and find all the things that are in capital letters, and add them to the search and replace table, but the functionality works fine. Do you need it soon?

silentgamer64 said:
Fair, but recreating the entirety of FR/LG can take a really long time so I'm sure he would appreciate any help/resources he can find.

Very true, but now (hopefully) no one will have that problem again!

NoodlesButt said:
If only JohtoBlaziken could read minds.

You know, I've been working on that. My psychic powers are telling me you believe me!

------------------------------------------------------

Here's some easter eggs I haven't mentioned yet:

2LiPdYt.png

There's a couple historical nods in there. It's at level 7 because that's the level you find it at when you do one of the Mew glitches in the original Red/Blue. The moveset (just Pound) is also what it would have at level 7 in Red/Blue.

The OT is MYSTRY and the ID is 06930---both of those correspond to the info of the Mew given away in a Pokemon Emerald-era event distribution. It's Timid because that's a common nature to run on a competitive Mew set, and it comes with perfect IVs. Finally, it comes with a Premier Ribbon, which was the ribbon attached to the HGSS-era event Mew.

Also...

Fi3gUTH.png

I put MISSINGNO. in the game! It has the same sprites/type/stats/cry/moveset/TM moves that it did in Gen I. It has three abilities:

1. download,
2. cursed body (because it's cursed!!), and
3. wonder guard (I couldn't resist).

I am thinking of letting it be a very rare encounter off the coast of Cinnabar Island, to reference the most common way to meet it in Red/Blue.

--------------------------------------

By the way, check out Zerokid's recently released demo of her FRLG remake if this project interests you. Apparently we have been working in parallel towards the same goal! She has some really cool ideas about how to remix FRLG that I didn't think of, and I hope to liberally borrow some of those for a future version.

Last edited:

Mudstep

Rookie
Hey JohtoBlaziken, if you need help with any maps, I'll be willing to help!
Also, are you planning on adding the "previously on your quest" cutscene?

Achohermano

Novice
I found a bug, well, I don't know if it was intentional and you didn't know how to fix it, if that's the case I'll try so I can tell you.
You see, on the Oak's Lab, when you say "No" to the starter choice, it gives you the starter anyways.
Maybe I just did something wrong or something so I changed it but I wanted to share it with you.

JohtoBlaziken

Bootlegger
Hey JohtoBlaziken, if you need help with any maps, I'll be willing to help!
Also, are you planning on adding the "previously on your quest" cutscene

Thanks for the offer! I might have taken you up a few months ago; fortunately, pretty much all mapping is now done---including the Sevii Islands, which weren't originally going to be incorporated!

No plans for a "previously on your quest" cutscene. I always thought that feature was cool in the original game, but I have no idea how to implement it. I suspect it'd be pretty complicated to script, so I think time is better spent elsewhere.

Just Cool!
Waiting for the next release.

Thank you for the enthusiasm! Let me know if there's anything you'd particularly like to see.

I found a bug, well, I don't know if it was intentional and you didn't know how to fix it, if that's the case I'll try so I can tell you.
You see, on the Oak's Lab, when you say "No" to the starter choice, it gives you the starter anyways.
Maybe I just did something wrong or something so I changed it but I wanted to share it with you.

Thanks for the catch! I'll take a look at that again, so that the problem won't be in the next demo. Let me know if you find any other issues. Feedback like this is incredibly helpful!

----------------------------

Sorry for the lack of apparent progress! I would like the game to be pretty much done up to the National Dex before I release another demo, which will likely be sometime in July. I will be gone for the rest of June, but look forward to new stuff later in the summer when I have time to work on it.

By the way, I am thinking of including some postgame content in addition to the Sevii Islands, which are progressing decently well with Zerokid's help (check out her Pokemon Zero if you haven't already).

Where would you prefer additional postgame content, post-Sevii Islands?

1. Johto
2. Hoenn
3. Somewhere else

Ash Ketchum 000

Don't Give up until everything is finished.
Sorry for the lack of apparent progress! I would like the game to be pretty much done up to the National Dex before I release another demo, which will likely be sometime in July. I will be gone for the rest of June, but look forward to new stuff later in the summer when I have time to work on it.

Where would you prefer additional postgame content, post-Sevii Islands?

1. Johto
2. Hoenn
3. Somewhere else

I would like to see somewhat a cool region. like Kalos Sinnoh or Alola

Ash Ketchum 000

Don't Give up until everything is finished.
Also, I have many things that can make your project look more like a Fire Red game!

SkyArmyRecru1t

Pokémon Master
Yoo, I have to give you mad respect for this. I was doing the same thing but it took so long, and I got pretty but I just had to give up. But you went above and beyond! Like, each grass tile exact?! It's truly amazing, and I give you thanks and applaud for this.

Last edited:

SuperSpyroDragon64

Cooltrainer
It seems using code terms like "Interpreter::PBTrainers" and "Interpreter::PBItems" and coding battler NPCs like this:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::LEADER_Brock,"BROCK",_I("Insert quote here."))

Causes the game to crash in Pokemon Essentials V19.1 when trying to run these scripts. Does this work in the current Pokemon Essentials V20.1?

Back