• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Is it legal to make a game based on a movie?

Destryer

Novice
Yesterday I had idea for a new Pokemon fan game, the fan game was going to be based on the movie "Blade Runner", it would've had the same concept and the name "Blade Runner" in it and now I'm wondering if this is legal or if I had to face copyright for the name and concept of the game.
What do you think?
Is it legal or not?

BrickWildcat

Nerd
Usually you would need a license to do that, but if you say it's a fangame then maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Either way it's murky water so I'd say try thinking of a new concept.

Destryer

Novice
If you're making fangames anyways, I don't see why not. We're already in murky legal ground as it is.
Ok.
So I might do it, but I'll to it later cause now I'm already working on other fan games.
I'm just gonna wait until someone says that I can't and I'm gonna take it off my list of fan games to do or he says that it's not a problem and I'm gonna keep it in the list.

Back