• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Fakemon: Do You Need Them?

Dragonite

Have they found the One Piece yet?
But if you use normal pokemon, won't nintendo hit you with a cease and desist

That's a long and hotly-contested thread on its own but the short answer is "if they really want to they'll do it regardless of whether you use fakémon or not."

Edit: that is, if you're still using graphics, sounds, or anything else that they have trademarked/copyrighted.

But if you use normal pokemon, won't nintendo hit you with a cease and desist

Hi Lunavis, this comment isn't 100% on topic but whenever C&Ds come up there's allways misconceptions sooo here's some facts.

• Pretty much all fan art exists in a legal gray area; everything like drawings, cosplay, crafts, Let's Plays, and games.
  • The list of pokemon fan games that have been taken down is actually really short. Sure, something like 500 fan games were taken down on GameJolt all at once, but the site had some loopholes that allowed people to make money. Otherwise the list is Uranium, Evoas, Prisim, Fusion Generation...I think I'm missing just a couple including an MMO, but there's not really many.
  • Games get personal requests to be taken down if they do pretty much 2 things: Make money, or get so popular that they overshadow the Pokemon brand (however brief a window that might be)
  • Those games usually don't get hit with actual C&D or DCMA, just a takedown notice. Complying is then typically the end of any issue.
Fakemon has nothing to do with these things. If you're interested in reading about takedowns, here's perspectives from the devs: a thread for Prism, a blog post for Uranium, and a journal for Evoas.

RileyXY1

Novice
The short answer is no. Fakemon are optional, and if you don't have the skill to properly make them, you should refrain from using them.

aveontrainer

Novice
Personally I loved with each new game seeing new Pokemon. I grew up playing Pokemon red. Then I bought GSC when that came out. Then Pokemon Fire Red. I loved discovering new Pokemon, pre evolutions as well.

Fakemon if implemented have to be done well for them to be enjoyable. But they are not absolutely necessary. Phenoix Rising it's a gorgeous game without Fakemon

RileyXY1

Novice
Personally I loved with each new game seeing new Pokemon. I grew up playing Pokemon red. Then I bought GSC when that came out. Then Pokemon Fire Red. I loved discovering new Pokemon, pre evolutions as well.

Fakemon if implemented have to be done well for them to be enjoyable. But they are not absolutely necessary. Phenoix Rising it's a gorgeous game without Fakemon
Yes. Games don't need Fakemon to be good. If they are to be implemented they need to be done right, like Uranium, Sage, or Ethereal Gates, for example.

aveontrainer

Novice
Yes. Games don't need Fakemon to be good. If they are to be implemented they need to be done right, like Uranium, Sage, or Ethereal Gates, for example.

Agreed on Sage. I have yet to play any fan games or rom hacks. In fact I have yet to play RSE DPP BW B2W2 XY or SM. But I saw Sage and Pheonix Rising YouTube videos. Someone told me about Sage when I used what I thought was public art. Turned out someone had stolen their art. I looked into the game and I have to say every single fake would rival Nintendos any day. Phenoix Rising is just a beautifully made game. The world environment is just awesome. Everything is unique. I will definitely look into Uranium and Ethereal Gates.

Funny side note. My own game that I'm working on is called Eternal Gates.

Back