• Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly! You can learn how to add images to your posts here.

Making Autotiles

Kychu

Developer of Pokemon: Moonlit Skies
There's certain tiles I want to be autotiles, but they seem almost impossible to make. Like this one. The shoreline I have just seems too big.

Kychu

Developer of Pokemon: Moonlit Skies
You're right, this is an awkward size to work with for an autotile. I forget where this specific one is from, are there more frames for animating it?
No unfortunately. This was from a public tileset post by zeo254, and it was the only one.

No unfortunately. This was from a public tileset post by zeo254, and it was the only one.

Oh that's why it looks so familiar!
Okay so, in this case what I was gonna recommend was doing a bit of reverse engineering; the sand shore is really annoying to get just right. So since you'll have to animate it yourself anyway, it can be easier to recolor the existing in in Essentials so that it fits with your tileset. I actually already had this one done, so if you're interested you can use this:

Y0C3rd7.png

It's not 100% the same look, but it'll animate and map well. If you really want to add back in the shallow water, I personally use two separate water tiles. So there's a Sand-shore like the one above, a Sea-without-shore one that's formatted similarly for the majority of the water, and a simple 1 tile sized shallow water between them.

Then the shallow bit can be whatever size/shape you want (different tileset example)
fx9axPf.png

Back