• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Discussion Your Own Fan Region?

This thread is for discussion and opinions.

HeRK-10

Rookie
Just been curious as I was trying to write out a Pokedex for a fanmade region with fakemons.
Have you thought of your own fan region? Is it based on a country? A state? Even a concept (like how Pokemon Sweet was based on confections)?

Reactions: aly

Faislittlewhiteraven

Novice
I have no programming or game making skills but been on and off toying with the idea of a region for years that's sort of...
Not sure how to put it but made up of the last 'healthy' chunks of broken worlds merged together with a pre-existing, mostly uninhabited world, with the general 'plot' of any story set there being about the fallers/people who came with those ruined worlds (not all of which had pokemon in them!) and trying to find each other/build a proper functioning region together...
General theme of 'ruined/damaged things being fixed/made even more beautiful' (kintsugi pottery vibes~) with a fair bit of culture clash =D

Environment wise imagining the starting area as a village nestled in a patch of green halfway up a mountain, in between a fungi infested forest to the west, a snowfield that eventually levels into a more standard woods/cave system area south, rocky cliffs to the east and to the north a big waterfall that runs straight down into an estuary/the ocean with each area being associated with one of the three fakemon starters the people living here ended up living in harmony with:
  • Kittle - Fire/Ice. The ‘Ice Kettle’ Pokemon. (evolutions Lavaret the 'Boiling Hare', and Tuconeya the '‘Tuya/Erupting Hare’ pokemon)
    Resembles a blob of snow with liquid red bunny eyes, an 'x' nose and rabbit ears and tail made of fire. It's entire upper back all the way to its nose can open up to release hot steam.

Pokedex: It’s soft body is made of ice and filled with boiling water making it pleasantly warm to hold. When stressed, vents excess steam out of its mouth with a loud whistling sound. Their inner fire is easily snuffed out by extreme cold so it sleeps in warm burrows it makes from eating snow, dirt and roots.
    Ability: Flash Fire (becomes Pure Power on final evolution), Paranoid/Alert (fake ability that acts as Heavy Duty Boots), HA Melt Body (fake ability that amps speed and the power of water moves in sun at the cost of 1/8 HP per turn).

Starting moves: Freeze Dry (or a custom lower basepower variant) and Tearful Look. Ember lv 6. Bubble lv 8.

Concept: Mad march hare + the insanity that is Fire/Ice combos + general glass cannon isanity + fire/ice based things like kettles (which can be both a hot water kettle and a hollowed out cave caused by ice melt) and tuya volcanos.

Mechanics: Very fast, high special attack with medium physical attack that uses a lot of Fire/'hot' Water/Ice coverage (Thunder Punch, Explosion and Scorching Sands all likely also) but has REALLY bad defences. Like 'makes Greninja look bulky' defences. Probably minimal status and priority moves to prevent it from being too much.

• Lichenruff- Grass/Rock. The ‘Puff Pup’ Pokemon. (evolutions Lyfoliose the ‘Spore Pack’, and Lycarrhizal the ‘Wild Hunt’ Pokemon)
    Think 'skinny, redish and white, big eared Rockruff' with black/dark green 'fungi' patches and the tail and neck having a sort of 'lichen hanging off rocks' look to them.

Pokedex: Eager hunters related to Rockruff, they integrate beneficial fungi into their fur giving them paint like markings and stronger defences. Their forty member strong packs can communicate hunts across entire forests using mycelial networks and ensure everyone is fed.

Ability: Grassy Surge, Effect Spore/Mycelium Might. HA Technician.

Starting moves: Accelerock, Howl, Absorb. Lv 6 Leech Seed. Lv 8 Bite.

Concept: A cousin to Rockruff based off of African Painted Wolf Dogs, timber wolves and mushrooms (specifically: pack hunting/communication + mycorrhizal networks = best possible pack hunter). …Also infectious fungus + werewolf at the final evolution?

Mechanics: Tanky even-ish stats with a heavy lean towards attack (final form way up in ATK and Speed so that the middle form can outclass it defensively with evolvite which adds to that 'different roles in the pack' vibe), general physical rock/grass coverage (though might get 'Leech Fang' -aka grass Leech Life- rather than Leaf Blade/Seed Bomb), access to Spore, Sand Storm, non fire/ice/electric biting moves, Play Rough, Beat Up, U Turn, Bulk Up and some punching moves when it hits its final evolution. A tough 'hunter' that's hard to take down and is constantly regenerating and crippling foes in one way or another.

• Orshio - Water/Dragon. The ‘Salt Orca’ Pokemon. (Orsilane the ‘Blackfish’, and Orcetus the ‘Sea Horror’ Pokemon).
    Cute cartoon orca with the white parts being 'puffy' and gritty looking like patches of dried up salt. Maybe some 'salt claws' on the ends of the flippers, and salt 'teeth' as well.

A clever, hardy species that condenses salt both on top of their bodies and in their guts for use in play and mischief. Friendly ones help fishermen and put out fires but ‘playful’ ones will cruelly toy with their prey for hours on end by manipulating ocean currents and spraying liquid salt right into their wounds.
    Ability: Rip Tide (fake ability that creates Whirlpools on the enemy's side on entry), Regenerator. HA Purifying Salt.

Starting moves: Brine (or another salt water themed move to be SE against Grass types), Squeak (SpD growl variant), Water Sport. Lv 6 Twister. Lv 8 Whirlpool. Lv 10 Toxic Spikes.

Concept: General orca related mythology (such as Sachihoko, the myth of Natsilane and the Blackfish/Orca, etc) + greek sea monsters collectively called Cetus where cetaceans/aka whales get their name from + ‘it controls the sea/is a user of salt’ because damn it I wanted something 4x effective against a Grass/Rock type and salt seemed fitting.

Mechanics: High HP, DEF and speed, cruddy offence for Orshio and Orsilane, not sure about the final evolution because I made 4 different forms for some reason (couldn't decide on what flavor of 'monster' I liked best though was trying to design another 'middle form is full tank with evolvite, fully evolved actually murders things' stuff) but leaning walls, trappers, or fast bulky pivots. The buggers get a LOT of nasty stuff like Salt Cure, Flip Turn, Encore and Perish Song so like. Aaaah. Probably Substitute and Baton Pass as well...
So um yeah. Starters have a 'reverse element' thing going on with each of them having a starting move that's 4x super effective against the 'SE' member of the usual grass/fire/water triangle (Kittle oneshots the slower Orshio with Freeze Dry, is oneshot by Lichenruff's Accelerock, which can't do jack to Orshio before the 'supposedly' weak salt water moves kill it) as well as very distinct playstyles (offence, balance and stall) and 'vibes' I can tie into the starting village's worldbuilding (the Kittle were rescued and a kept safe and thus support the people's homes in return, the Lichenruff helped teach the villagers the rules of the hunt and invited them to join their hunting parties, and the Orshio were won over by being given treats and entertainment by the village's fishing folk).

----

Other parts of the region are a bit more vague. Mostly got:

A huge city in a canyon -as in, covering all the insides of the canyon- where the player/hero only really travels the 'upper layer' and a few streets they are permitted to visit by local authorities (in gameplay visual terms, think pathways with railings but you can see way way below the image of IDK something like a realistic city scape as seen from above). City has a sort of super hero/villain thing going on but er, well, one of the local super villains kind won the second they all suddenly ended up here due to being a bug controller and the canyon being smack bang between bug infested jungle to the south, east and west, and a snow/hail hellscape (not the starting snowfield) filled with sorta 'reverse Shedinja' Ice/Bug type spider/Alien esc things that er. They're not really pokemon (catching one would have it permanently disobeying) and the city is very aware that the big villainess is the only reason they're not all dead.
Said villainess is kind of the well intentioned extremist type who IS willing to work with the hero and rival (charmed by their idealism? IDK) but also very much prone to 'if no one else is willing to do what is needed...' stuff so... Yeah.
Vaguely basing her off the Chinese Gu, mentally thinking she plays the role of a slightly more sympathetic Kamado/Guzma (aka definitely antagonistic at a key point of the story but not really THE bad guy), and also thinking she'd play the role of a Bug type 8th gym leader/the Champion in terms of how tough I'd want her mons to be (when she's being antagonist, would add blatant 'cheating' by having her fight the player with two or three teams of 6 back to back to emphasis 'the swarm' and also to maybe prevent a curb stomp due bug types being bug types XD).

A nomadic group of psychics you run into the camps of, who have a main city past the hail hellscape and a wasteland/desert. Lotta Xatu and teleporting mons.

Vaguely defined bad guy central which I'm thinking might be Ultra Megalopolis/an AU bad end version of it, where the main 'bad guy team' are from (they use Ultra Beasts and various space themed mons like Clefairy, Solrock, Lunatone, etc. Maybe Paradox pokemon also? The boss probably has Necrozma and/or Eternatus since it's hard to beat the apocalyptic vibe of those two.

And... Yeah. Got other fakemon for the region (a dark/flying with dark/psychic line based on Magpies and spies/seers, a dancing coral snake that I'm leaning towards being either Poison/dragon or Poison/Normal depending on form) and 'regional forms' (ground/fairy Sentret, Furret + fakemon evolution based off of the Cantabrian ramidreju. A Poison then Poison/Fairy Purloin/Liepard based off of cat associations with plague, the mythological Pard I just REALLY wanted Stench to be on a fast pokemon who could actually get something out of it and snow leopards. A Ghost/Steel variant of the Ralts line based off of ghosts/valkeries etc) and some character thoughts but alas most of the rest of the region is fairly bare bones since I know I don't really have the skills or motivation to do much with these ideas other than daydream about them...
Though er if anyone reading this wants to use them for anything would be happy to share my full notes/ramble a bit more~ <3

And yeah! Thanks for giving me an excuse to post some of this stuff~ =D

Last edited:

ShadowstepNB

Rookie
currently going through the development of three games at this time with their own regions
i used cartagropher 1.3 to make the last two
as im bad at map making and well i had used other generators for the first two regions...cause i had used chatgpt to help me finish a old idea and they made it out of hand so im trying to get a handel on things
now im running my pokedexs for all three regions through stardex to make the regions balanced

but my third region might be getting to demo level soonish maybe then i can come on a fourm to ask for help with making my fakemon sprites and ask how to do certain mechanics that are critical to that game

i have more info if you want to hear about it

Nutcase71733

Cooltrainer
I would like a region that emphasizes a lot more on prehistoric pokemon and their relation to modern species. Black and White and their sequels came relatively close to this dynamic, as two important characters were paleontologists and Professor Juniper was an expert on the origen of pokemon (with Darwinian evolution being relatively closely-connected to her field), however we've not seen anything like that. Scarlet and Violet does come somewhat close if we factor the ancient paradox pokemon but it'd be worth considering a concept that works to do more with regards to prehistoric pokemon while also giving the Galar fossil pokemon their true, completed forms. There was two fangames that at one point tried to address this? But they were abandoned years ago.

In all this one can easilly have an almost entire pokedex of fossil pokemon, both fanmade and canon, connect the ancient paradox pokemon tot he mix as well, and then make a region based on the American west or possibly China to work with the fossil record itself, and you're pretty much set.

Last edited:
Back