• The Eevee Expo Game Jam #10 has concluded, congratulations to all participants! Now it's time for the judges to play through the games, and you can play along to vote who deserves the community choice spotlight.
    You can check out the submitted games here!
    Play through the games and provide some feedback to the devs while you're at it!
  • Hi, Guest!
    Some images might be missing as we move away from using embedded images, sorry for the mess!
    From now on, you'll be required to use a third party to host images. You can learn how to add images here, and if your thread is missing images you can request them here.
    Do not use Discord to host any images you post, these links expire quickly!

Completed Pokemon Advanced Safari Showdown

This project is complete. Any future revisions will be bug fixes or small updates.
Project Status
Completed
Pokemon Advanced Safari Showdown
intro screen.PNG

Made by
TheTunzo

Made with:
RPG Maker XP and Essentials v20.1

Downloads:
Google Drive
Mediafire

A new challenge for you and your friends
Pokemon advance safari showdown, or ASS for short ;), only makes sense if you're playing with 1 or more friends.
You'll get a rental team and 30 minutes of time to catch as many pokemon as you want.
When the time ends, you get to choose 6 pokemon that the game will export in a .txt file, ready to be copy/pasted in pokemon showdown.
You can view this game as a way to do random battles/tournaments with your friends with extra fun steps.

Screenshots:
gamescreen1.png

Features:
-Gen 1 to 8 (no Hisui)
-Rental team made for catching but limited pokeballs
-9 Catching areas each with it's own pokemon pool
-A 30 minutes anxiety-giving timer that keeps going while you're battling
-Every evolution/form available to obtain

There's a VERY detailed info file in the game's directory that answers all questions you might have. I will post it here aswell:
===============================================================================================
Catch team and kit
===============================================================================================

As the game begins, you'll already have a full team of pokemon specialized for catching.
Here's the team's copypaste:
Pangoro
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 100
  • False Swipe
  • Taunt
  • Block
  • Foul Play

Parasect
Ability: Damp
Level: 100
  • False Swipe
  • Spore
  • Stun Spore
  • Fury Cutter

Raichu
Ability: Static
Level: 80
  • Thunder Wave
  • Nuzzle
  • Rest
  • Seismic Toss

Ninetales
Ability: Flash Fire
Level: 50
  • Fire Spin
  • Will-O-Wisp
  • Hypnosis
  • Extrasensory

Audino
Ability: Regenerator
Level: 60
  • Heal Pulse
  • Yawn
  • Wish
  • Body Slam

Quagsire
Ability: Damp
Level: 50
  • Recover
  • Seismic Toss
  • Yawn
  • Scald

This team will heal itself after every battle.
Some mons are below lv 100 to allow them to better weaken the opponents instead of killing them.
For those that are unfamiliar with these moves let me explain the most important ones:
-false swipe leaves the opponent with 1hp instead of KOing
-spore 100% puts to sleep
-thunder wave and nuzzle paralyse
-will o wisp burns
-yawn puts to sleep after 1 turn
-seismic toss deals damage for as many hps as your mon's level

useful abilities:
-pangoro's scrappy allows it to hit ghosts with normal moves
-parasect and quagsire's damp disables the opponent blowing up
Audino is mostly there for mons that use moves with recoil

These are the pokeballs you will have:
30 ultraballs
20 duskballs
10 quickballs
5 levelballs
1 masterball (not in the version with Uber legendaries, more in the wild pokemon section*)
5-10 beastballs (Depends on the ruleset you choose)
10 loveballs
10 dreamballs
20 netballs
10 fastballs
10 heavyballs
10 timerballs
35 greatballs
40 pokeballs

Wild pokemon

In the game's intro you can choose between 3 encounter "groups":
-first one has every mon from gen 1 to 8 without legends or ultrabeasts
-second one has every mon from gen 1 to 8, legends and ubs included
-third one only has mons that are OU tier or below (made to play in gen 8 mechanics, since national dex ubers for gen 8 has been removed)

HISUI MONS ARE NOT IN THE GAME

*I removed the masterball from the "legend group" because i wanted to avoid a situation where a player finds an uber legend, catches it with a master ball and automatically wins because the opponent couldn't find one aswell. If someone wants to use an uber legend they should be prepared to use their time and resources to try to catch it normally.

Every pokemon can be found between lv.20 and lv.60 and has a 35% chance of having it's hidden ability (battle bond greninja is not in the game). All the mons can be evolved, so don't worry about evolution requirements, from the simple "must be a specific gender" to the most complicated ones, they've all been taken care of.

I divided the map in 9 areas. In each of them, every pokemon has the same chance of appearing in it (for example, if an area has 100 pokemon, they will have 1% spawn chance each).
Areas have approximately the same amount of pokemon between eachother, so that pokemon in general could have the same rarity. The majority of areas have a couple types they specialize into, but that doesn't mean that you won't find that same types in other areas or that it doesn't contain pokemon of other types, as i've mixed a good number of them to evenly distribute numbers and most importantly to place them in more thematic appropriate places.

All pokemon only appear in one area each, no repeats, except for oricorio, burmy and wormadam who appears in different areas based on their form's typings. Regional forms are considered separate pokemons, so for example you can find ninetales in a different area than alolan-ninetales. Fused pokemon don't appear, to get them you'd have to catch both components.

These are the 9 areas:
Plains - has a mix of many types, mainly used to balance other areas (106 mons, 118 with legends)
Sandy Cave - specialized in rock-ground (105 mons, 116 with legends)
Thickest Forest - specialized in bug-grass (119 mons, 126 with legends)
Rathalos Volcano - specialized in dragon-fire (96 mons, 113 with legends)
Steel Resolve Path - specialized in steel-fighting (102 mons, 119 with legends)
Frozen Graveyard - specialized in ghost-ice (106 mons, 117 with legends)
Genzano Town - specialized in normal (106 mons, 119 with legends)
Jesolo Beach - specialized in water (109 mons, 118 with legends)
World Grass patch - has every available pokemon in it

typings such as psychic, fairy, poison, flying and electric have mostly been used to patch areas that had less pokemon to balance numbers.

I've made these areas without having in mind the "OU and below" mode that i added last minute, so if that turns out to be not balanced at all then ¯\(ツ)

Workings of the timer

The 30 minutes timer starts as soon as the intro ends and keeps going in battles too, the only way to pause it is to enter the team menu or the bag.
Saving is disabled so there's no option to restart the game from a middle point.

In the 30 minutes the day cycle will go like this:
1. start at 10:00 AM (30:00 left on the timer)
2. becomes night at 8:00 PM (approx 24:45 left on the timer)
3. second day begins at 05:00 AM (approx 17:55 left on the timer)
4. night again at 8:00 PM (approx 12:10 left on the timer)
5. third and final day at 05:00 AM (approx 05:15 left on the timer)
6. finally ending the day as the timer hits 0.
This changes the catchrate of the dusk ball in the open and the form of lycanroc you can encounter: evening (5:00pm to 7:59pm) for dusk form and night for midnight form, day form for all other hours.

If the timer reaches 0 while you're in a battle, it will end it abruptly --> even if you've caught a pokemon, the game doesn't actually register it as yours until the battle ends, for this reason i've cut as short as possible the "catch process" where the success music plays, nicknaming etc etc.

After the time is over, you'll be teleported to the choosing room.

Choosing room

In this room you'll finally have access to a pc where you can see what you caught and choose the team you want.
Battle rules and format should be decided with your opponent before making a decision (more on the format in the end**).

In the summary of your pokemon, ivs will be visible in the stat page.

In the team menu, after you select a pokemon, the "evolve" button will appear together with the classic options. Since every evolution requirement is already fulfilled by items in your bag, this should always be visible unless the pokemon is not of a high enough level or it just doesn't evolve. If the pokemon has more than one evolution, you'll be able to choose which one you want. There's a VISUAL glitch for Kubfu and Rockruff: when evolving in forms different from the default one, the evolution animation will still show the default one, for example when evolving in lycanroc midnight, the siluette will be that of Lycanroc day, but again, this is purely visual.

In the bag, besides the hundreds of evolution items that the "evolve" button will use, you will find any item needed to change the form of your mons and lastly 2 types of rare candy:
Hundo candy - lvls up a pokemon to 100 directly
Poison candy - lowers the lvl to 1, to allow for some battle strats

In the room you'll find 3 machines, 2 of them allow rotom and deoxys to switch between forms, the third one is a bit more complicated:
this machine will change the room so that pokemon that have a region specific evolution, such as cubone, exeggcute, pikachu, mime-jr and koffing will be able to evolve in their regional form. For example, normally cubone will evolve in marowak, but if you set the room to be in alola with the machine, it will instead evolve in Alolan-Marowak.

Note: changing evs, happiness, moves and battle items should be done in showdown, where it's easier.
Things like ivs, nature, ability and gender should remain the same in the spirit of the challenge, but if both opponents agree to modify them then go ahead, i can't stop you lmao

**What format should you use? This challenge was designed with Gen 8 National Dex Ubers or AG in mind, but as i was finishing the game, i noticed that those formats were no longer available. If i were you I'd play in Gen 8 National Dex if you caught pokemon in the "OU and below" encounters, if not you'll be forced to use the Gen 9 National Dex Ubers or Anything Goes (AG) format, since some abilities and shedinja are banned even in ubers.
If you want to play in national dex doubles, which bans gen 9 ubers and above, you should play in "OU and below" and avoid shedinja and the melmetal line.

After your team is ready, talk to the professor and he'll export your team in a file called "showdown.txt", where you'll find a copypaste like the one of the catch team above to be pasted in the section of the pokemon showdown teambuilder called "import/export" situated next to the team name. The game will then be closed.

Hope you enjoy yourself!

I made this game in a month and a half.
Could the game be better? Yes
Is it a little unbalanced in some areas? Yes
Do i care? Not really
You can still have fun with it :)
I don't have a trailer but i'll show you some content me and my friends made with it:

Credits:
=====================
Scripts used
=====================

Showdown's exporter by:
Cilerba
M3rein
lavendersiren
Marin
Resource Link

IV and EV display by:
LinKazamine
Resource link

P:LA Party Evolver by:
IndianAnimator
eriedaberrie#1569
Resource link

Hidden Abilities by Percentage by:
Mashirosakura
Scyl
NettoHikari
Marin
Maq47
StarWolff
Kotaro
Resource link

Advanced HM Items by:
FeelsMoyoMan
Marin
Resource link

Generation 8 Pack for Essentials v20.1 by:
Battler Sprites:
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Sprites - veekun
Gen 6 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon X/Y Sprite Project
Gen 7 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sun/Moon Sprite Project
Gen 8 Pokemon Sprites - All Contributors To Smogon Sword/Shield Sprite Project
Overworld Sprites:
Gen 6+ Berry Tree Overworlds - Anarlaurendil
Gen 6 Pokemon Overworlds - princess-pheonix, LunarDusk, Wolfang62, TintjeMadelintje101, piphybuilder88
Gen 7 Pokemon Overworlds - Larry Turbo, princess-pheonix
Gen 8 Pokemon Overworlds - SageDeoxys, Wolfang62, LarryTurbo, tammyclaydon
Gen 1-5 Pokemon Overworlds - MissingLukey, help-14, Kymoyonian, cSc-A7X, 2and2makes5, Pokegirl4ever, Fernandojl, Silver-Skies, TyranitarDark, Getsuei-H, Kid1513, Milomilotic11, Kyt666, kdiamo11, Chocosrawlooid, Syledude, Gallanty, Gizamimi-Pichu, 2and2makes5, Zyon17,LarryTurbo, spritesstealer, LarryTurbo
Icon Sprites:
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Alaguesia, harveydentmd
Gen 7 Pokemon Icon Sprites - Marin, MapleBranchWing, Contributors to the DS Styled Gen 7+ Repository
Gen 8 Icon Sprites - Larry Turbo, Leparagon
Shiny Icon Sprites - StarrWolf, Pokemon Shattered Light Team
Cry Credits:
Gen 1-6 Pokemon Cries - Rhyden
Gen 7 Pokemon Cries - Marin, Rhyden
Gen 8 Pokemon Cries - Zeak6464
Script Credits:
Golisopod User, Luka S.J.
Compilation of Resources:
Golisopod User, UberDunsparce
Resource link

Tustin2121's little script for aborting battles
Resource link

===========================
Tilesets and Resources used
===========================

Snow biome from Sudden Snowstorm Resource Pack:
Vendily
Kyledove
Magiscarf
Resource link

Emerald Outside Tileset:
Aiyinsi
leilou
Heartless Dragoon
Resource link

Project Marnian Region Tileset:
Wesley FG
Resource link

Lava Tiles:
Derxwna Kapsyla
Resource link

Emerald Mew Sprite:
CrysFuwayaZero
Resource link

Emerald Steam Effect:
CloudyDayJoy
Resource link

Pre-Looped Music Library by:
ENLS
Thundaga
KrakerwatYT
Sulucnal
FrivolousAqua
Resource link

=====================
SPECIAL THANKS
=====================

My friend Angelo who helped me fix some of the scripts used, couldn't have made it without him.

Thundaga for his amazing tutorials.

"Pokémon Essentials" was created by:
Flameguru
Poccil (Peter O.)
Maruno

With contributions from:
Marin
Boushy
MiDas Mike
Brother1440
Near Fantastica
FL.